Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East - Future Order Predictions

Go North East - Future Order Predictions

Go North East - Future Order Predictions

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (15) Previous 13 4 515 Next
25 May 2021, 8:29 pm #61
(14 Aug 2020, 9:07 pm)Storx I really can't see any new deckers for a while personally. The minibus fleet is aging badly and will need replacing by 2022 and there's also the Omnicities, Citaros and early Versas all due or starting to be due by then. Realistically no deckers really need to be replaced before 2026 now which are in frontline work.

Minibus fleet? The Little Coasters Solos are not the best, and whatever Optare Solos there are elsewhere, but the SRs are fine. Sprinters 729/720 are new. Lots of SRs on Venture, Little Pinks, Little Coasters, Tynedale Links and not sure what else, they seem fine. Which ones do you think need replacing? Agree no deckers are really needed, but doubt the minibus fleet will be replaced next year.
OrangeArrow49
25 May 2021, 8:29 pm #61

(14 Aug 2020, 9:07 pm)Storx I really can't see any new deckers for a while personally. The minibus fleet is aging badly and will need replacing by 2022 and there's also the Omnicities, Citaros and early Versas all due or starting to be due by then. Realistically no deckers really need to be replaced before 2026 now which are in frontline work.

Minibus fleet? The Little Coasters Solos are not the best, and whatever Optare Solos there are elsewhere, but the SRs are fine. Sprinters 729/720 are new. Lots of SRs on Venture, Little Pinks, Little Coasters, Tynedale Links and not sure what else, they seem fine. Which ones do you think need replacing? Agree no deckers are really needed, but doubt the minibus fleet will be replaced next year.

GNE6312

25 May 2021, 8:31 pm #62
(25 May 2021, 8:22 pm)L469 YVK My prediction for 2022/23

- New vehicles for the Angel & few extras for XLines (depending on network changes)
- StreetDecks cascaded to Percy Main for Cobalt & Coast
- Cobalt B9's partially repainted and allocated to TVT
- Current TVT B9s either cascaded within GNE or wider GAG

Tbh the 21 doesn't need new buses as tge current ones are only turning 4 this year so are still relatively new, the C&C was just refurbished so doubt those B9s will be off those routes for a good few years. The Tyne Valley Ten probd needs new buses going off whats been in the mentioned on the thread regarding break downs on those services maybe order some OM936 streetdecks for the X9/10, maybe if the elites continue with their reliability issues GNE should prehaps find some more suitable coaches for the X9/10 (maybe even 7111/7128/30/32/35-37 with 7108/10 being spares) if the elites don't shape up soon.
GNE6312
25 May 2021, 8:31 pm #62

(25 May 2021, 8:22 pm)L469 YVK My prediction for 2022/23

- New vehicles for the Angel & few extras for XLines (depending on network changes)
- StreetDecks cascaded to Percy Main for Cobalt & Coast
- Cobalt B9's partially repainted and allocated to TVT
- Current TVT B9s either cascaded within GNE or wider GAG

Tbh the 21 doesn't need new buses as tge current ones are only turning 4 this year so are still relatively new, the C&C was just refurbished so doubt those B9s will be off those routes for a good few years. The Tyne Valley Ten probd needs new buses going off whats been in the mentioned on the thread regarding break downs on those services maybe order some OM936 streetdecks for the X9/10, maybe if the elites continue with their reliability issues GNE should prehaps find some more suitable coaches for the X9/10 (maybe even 7111/7128/30/32/35-37 with 7108/10 being spares) if the elites don't shape up soon.

L469 YVK

25 May 2021, 8:53 pm #63
(25 May 2021, 8:31 pm)GNE6312 Tbh the 21 doesn't need new buses as tge current ones are only turning 4 this year so are still relatively new, the C&C was just refurbished so doubt those B9s will be off those routes for a good few years. The Tyne Valley Ten probd needs new buses going off whats been in the mentioned on the thread regarding break downs on those services maybe order some OM936 streetdecks for the X9/10, maybe if the elites continue with their reliability issues GNE should prehaps find some more suitable coaches for the X9/10 (maybe even 7111/7128/30/32/35-37 with 7108/10 being spares) if the elites don't shape up soon.
Don't forget, the 21 is GNE's 'flagship' route (or one of them) so would no doubt be a good candidate to receive the newest vehicles.

StreetDecks on Cobalt & Coast (3yr since refurb in 2022) would reduce running costs over fuel hungry B9TLs "knocking around the doors". Yes I know that scenario also applies for the 27, 58, 93/94 but they were intended cascades and upgraded from single decks.

TVT B9TLs are still ok (6071-83 most likely) although in need of TLC. Moving the Cobalt & Coast B9TLs would potentially reduce refurbishment & repainting costs as well as speed the process up.
L469 YVK
25 May 2021, 8:53 pm #63

(25 May 2021, 8:31 pm)GNE6312 Tbh the 21 doesn't need new buses as tge current ones are only turning 4 this year so are still relatively new, the C&C was just refurbished so doubt those B9s will be off those routes for a good few years. The Tyne Valley Ten probd needs new buses going off whats been in the mentioned on the thread regarding break downs on those services maybe order some OM936 streetdecks for the X9/10, maybe if the elites continue with their reliability issues GNE should prehaps find some more suitable coaches for the X9/10 (maybe even 7111/7128/30/32/35-37 with 7108/10 being spares) if the elites don't shape up soon.
Don't forget, the 21 is GNE's 'flagship' route (or one of them) so would no doubt be a good candidate to receive the newest vehicles.

StreetDecks on Cobalt & Coast (3yr since refurb in 2022) would reduce running costs over fuel hungry B9TLs "knocking around the doors". Yes I know that scenario also applies for the 27, 58, 93/94 but they were intended cascades and upgraded from single decks.

TVT B9TLs are still ok (6071-83 most likely) although in need of TLC. Moving the Cobalt & Coast B9TLs would potentially reduce refurbishment & repainting costs as well as speed the process up.

JP6004

25 May 2021, 8:54 pm #64
(25 May 2021, 8:29 pm)OrangeArrow49 Minibus fleet? The Little Coasters Solos are not the best, and whatever Optare Solos there are elsewhere, but the SRs are fine. Sprinters 729/720 are new. Lots of SRs on Venture, Little Pinks, Little Coasters, Tynedale Links and not sure what else, they seem fine. Which ones do you think need replacing? Agree no deckers are really needed, but doubt the minibus fleet will be replaced next year.
AFAIK the tynedale links services are contracted. NCC may stipulate euro 6 buses for these routes which would mean either new buses or upgrade to current solos
JP6004
25 May 2021, 8:54 pm #64

(25 May 2021, 8:29 pm)OrangeArrow49 Minibus fleet? The Little Coasters Solos are not the best, and whatever Optare Solos there are elsewhere, but the SRs are fine. Sprinters 729/720 are new. Lots of SRs on Venture, Little Pinks, Little Coasters, Tynedale Links and not sure what else, they seem fine. Which ones do you think need replacing? Agree no deckers are really needed, but doubt the minibus fleet will be replaced next year.
AFAIK the tynedale links services are contracted. NCC may stipulate euro 6 buses for these routes which would mean either new buses or upgrade to current solos

Storx

25 May 2021, 9:56 pm #65

That was August last year Tongue

Back then it was 698 - 705 (possibly more can't remember if the 58 plates had gone by then). Most are gone now though. Something does need upgrading for the 74 though if the upcoming LEZ comes in as they're only Euro 5 bar the Cathedral 3.
Storx
25 May 2021, 9:56 pm #65

That was August last year Tongue

Back then it was 698 - 705 (possibly more can't remember if the 58 plates had gone by then). Most are gone now though. Something does need upgrading for the 74 though if the upcoming LEZ comes in as they're only Euro 5 bar the Cathedral 3.

Adrian

26 May 2021, 8:23 am #66
(25 May 2021, 8:53 pm)L469 YVK Don't forget, the 21 is GNE's 'flagship' route (or one of them) so would no doubt be a good candidate to receive the newest vehicles.

And also don't forget that before the Hybrids, it was running around on ex-London B7TLs, before being replaced by even older ex-London B7TLs...

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
26 May 2021, 8:23 am #66

(25 May 2021, 8:53 pm)L469 YVK Don't forget, the 21 is GNE's 'flagship' route (or one of them) so would no doubt be a good candidate to receive the newest vehicles.

And also don't forget that before the Hybrids, it was running around on ex-London B7TLs, before being replaced by even older ex-London B7TLs...

26 May 2021, 8:42 am #67
Legitimate question here, why does everybody seem to be obsessed with getting heavier duty vehicles (like the E400MMC and 6 cylinder StreetDeck) for routes that a lighter duty vehicle (like the 4 cylinder StreetDeck) would be more than adequate for?

Just because a route is currently run with B9s, it doesn't mean it needs to be replaced with a vehicle of equivalent power.
Take the 10s for instance, now granted I haven't used them for a while for obvious reasons, but I don't think there is a part of the route that a 4 Cylinder StreetDeck would struggle (I may be wrong on that though)
From my experience the StreetDecks used on the X1 seem to be perfectly fine.
And I think we can all agree that the B9s on the Cobalts are beyond overkill!
streetdeckfan
26 May 2021, 8:42 am #67

Legitimate question here, why does everybody seem to be obsessed with getting heavier duty vehicles (like the E400MMC and 6 cylinder StreetDeck) for routes that a lighter duty vehicle (like the 4 cylinder StreetDeck) would be more than adequate for?

Just because a route is currently run with B9s, it doesn't mean it needs to be replaced with a vehicle of equivalent power.
Take the 10s for instance, now granted I haven't used them for a while for obvious reasons, but I don't think there is a part of the route that a 4 Cylinder StreetDeck would struggle (I may be wrong on that though)

Andreos1

26 May 2021, 9:30 am #68
(26 May 2021, 8:42 am)streetdeckfan Legitimate question here, why does everybody seem to be obsessed with getting heavier duty vehicles (like the E400MMC and 6 cylinder StreetDeck) for routes that a lighter duty vehicle (like the 4 cylinder StreetDeck) would be more than adequate for?

I used the X20 yesterday. First time since the vehicles were upgraded from Solo.

Versus the Streetlites on it prior and the Solos which haven't long been displaced, the 11 year old Merc was a much nicer experience.
Obviously it's the heavier of the 3, but the ride quality was better and the rattles fewer.

Some people may be obsessed with engine power or torque and it may be that a lower spec engine is suitable for that route.
However build quality and the structure of the vehicle is just as important if not more important - from a passenger perspective.

A Streetlite may be powerful enough to work the Durham - Stanley route and it may save the operator a few quid in fuel costs. But is the on-board experience and ride quality worse or better than when the Mercs ran it?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
26 May 2021, 9:30 am #68

(26 May 2021, 8:42 am)streetdeckfan Legitimate question here, why does everybody seem to be obsessed with getting heavier duty vehicles (like the E400MMC and 6 cylinder StreetDeck) for routes that a lighter duty vehicle (like the 4 cylinder StreetDeck) would be more than adequate for?

I used the X20 yesterday. First time since the vehicles were upgraded from Solo.

Versus the Streetlites on it prior and the Solos which haven't long been displaced, the 11 year old Merc was a much nicer experience.
Obviously it's the heavier of the 3, but the ride quality was better and the rattles fewer.

Some people may be obsessed with engine power or torque and it may be that a lower spec engine is suitable for that route.
However build quality and the structure of the vehicle is just as important if not more important - from a passenger perspective.

A Streetlite may be powerful enough to work the Durham - Stanley route and it may save the operator a few quid in fuel costs. But is the on-board experience and ride quality worse or better than when the Mercs ran it?

26 May 2021, 9:52 am #69
(26 May 2021, 9:30 am)Andreos1 I used the X20 yesterday. First time since the vehicles were upgraded from Solo.

I see where you're coming from with the Citaro and StreetLite, but from a passenger perspective, the new 4 cylinder StreetDecks are equivalent or better than an E400MMC (in terms of comfort and experience), and equal to the 6 cylinder StreetDeck (since they're the same vehicle).

But equally, if Wright had actually put some effort into the StreetLite, improved the build quality and the suspension like they have with the new StreetDecks, the Streetlites would be a much nicer experience.

I suppose it comes down to looking at each vehicle on it's own merit
streetdeckfan
26 May 2021, 9:52 am #69

(26 May 2021, 9:30 am)Andreos1 I used the X20 yesterday. First time since the vehicles were upgraded from Solo.

I see where you're coming from with the Citaro and StreetLite, but from a passenger perspective, the new 4 cylinder StreetDecks are equivalent or better than an E400MMC (in terms of comfort and experience), and equal to the 6 cylinder StreetDeck (since they're the same vehicle).

But equally, if Wright had actually put some effort into the StreetLite, improved the build quality and the suspension like they have with the new StreetDecks, the Streetlites would be a much nicer experience.

26 May 2021, 10:45 am #70

You must have been lucky to get a none rattly Merc!
deanmachine
26 May 2021, 10:45 am #70

You must have been lucky to get a none rattly Merc!

Andreos1

26 May 2021, 10:59 am #71
(26 May 2021, 9:52 am)streetdeckfan I see where you're coming from with the Citaro and StreetLite, but from a passenger perspective, the new 4 cylinder StreetDecks are equivalent or better than an E400MMC (in terms of comfort and experience), and equal to the 6 cylinder StreetDeck (since they're the same vehicle).

And I think that's what is a key element in making a route successful or at least maintaining its success.

The 35 was apparently making more money than the 20 a few years back, but has seen the vehicle allocation change, its route change and then its frequency reduce.
Coincidence?
It's now allocated the same sort of vehicles it attracted as new 10+ years ago.

(26 May 2021, 10:45 am)deanmachine You must have been lucky to get a none rattly Merc!

Ah there were rattles. Just fewer than a Streetlite. Mind, part of that was down interior paneling not being attached properly. Rather than any down to the rattles that are part of the Streetlite's make-up and design.
Edited 26 May 2021, 11:02 am by Andreos1.

Andreos1
26 May 2021, 10:59 am #71

(26 May 2021, 9:52 am)streetdeckfan I see where you're coming from with the Citaro and StreetLite, but from a passenger perspective, the new 4 cylinder StreetDecks are equivalent or better than an E400MMC (in terms of comfort and experience), and equal to the 6 cylinder StreetDeck (since they're the same vehicle).

And I think that's what is a key element in making a route successful or at least maintaining its success.

The 35 was apparently making more money than the 20 a few years back, but has seen the vehicle allocation change, its route change and then its frequency reduce.
Coincidence?

(26 May 2021, 10:45 am)deanmachine You must have been lucky to get a none rattly Merc!

Ah there were rattles. Just fewer than a Streetlite. Mind, part of that was down interior paneling not being attached properly. Rather than any down to the rattles that are part of the Streetlite's make-up and design.

26 May 2021, 11:02 am #72

While the Citaros rattle, they're nothing compared to the door on the StreetLite
streetdeckfan
26 May 2021, 11:02 am #72

While the Citaros rattle, they're nothing compared to the door on the StreetLite

V514DFT

26 May 2021, 11:28 am #73
(26 May 2021, 10:59 am)Andreos1 And I think that's what is a key element in making a route successful or at least maintaining its success.

Coincidence?
Sound familiar?,the Little Coasters,they were successful until they shoved the current buses on there

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
26 May 2021, 11:28 am #73

(26 May 2021, 10:59 am)Andreos1 And I think that's what is a key element in making a route successful or at least maintaining its success.

Coincidence?
Sound familiar?,the Little Coasters,they were successful until they shoved the current buses on there

Kind Regards
Tez

26 May 2021, 11:42 am #74
(26 May 2021, 11:28 am)V514DFT Sound familiar?,the Little Coasters,they were successful until they shoved the current buses on there

Any chance of Little Coasters getting allocated something else? Maybe even put the new Solos back on? Personally I'd like to see NSAs back on the 42/42A because some parts of the route are rural, and NSAs improve accessibility for disabled passengers, and those unsure of the route (the 74 should have NSAs introduced for the same reasons).
OrangeArrow49
26 May 2021, 11:42 am #74

(26 May 2021, 11:28 am)V514DFT Sound familiar?,the Little Coasters,they were successful until they shoved the current buses on there

Any chance of Little Coasters getting allocated something else? Maybe even put the new Solos back on? Personally I'd like to see NSAs back on the 42/42A because some parts of the route are rural, and NSAs improve accessibility for disabled passengers, and those unsure of the route (the 74 should have NSAs introduced for the same reasons).

26 May 2021, 12:22 pm #75
(26 May 2021, 11:02 am)streetdeckfan While the Citaros rattle, they're nothing compared to the door on the StreetLite

Maybe it's just rattles in the drivers cab then, because they're getting worse than (some) Streetlites now.
deanmachine
26 May 2021, 12:22 pm #75

(26 May 2021, 11:02 am)streetdeckfan While the Citaros rattle, they're nothing compared to the door on the StreetLite

Maybe it's just rattles in the drivers cab then, because they're getting worse than (some) Streetlites now.

Stanleyone

26 May 2021, 1:04 pm #76
A lot of work has been put into resolving the door rattles especially on the coast & country streetlites, you might be surprised at the rattle free experience of the likes of 5406.
Stanleyone
26 May 2021, 1:04 pm #76

A lot of work has been put into resolving the door rattles especially on the coast & country streetlites, you might be surprised at the rattle free experience of the likes of 5406.

Adrian

26 May 2021, 1:13 pm #77

I largely agree, especially that the B9s on the Cobalts are overkill, but I think time will tell for the X1. It seems to be coping ok at present when I've used them, but the section between Gateshead and Wrekenton is a killer. 

I used them the other week, and completely agree in terms of Citaros. Even though I think the quality of the refurbishment they received a couple of years ago is starting to show.

Of course your average customer simply doesn't care about the mechanics behind a bus. Only that the bus gets them from A to B and that it is as enjoyable of a journey as possible. The Streetlite isn't a good passenger experience for me; you feel every bump, hear every rattle and only a small child would find themselves with enough leg room. The E200MMCs on the 97 are streets ahead of the Streetlite, and I think it's pretty much the same bus underneath!

Adrian
26 May 2021, 1:13 pm #77

I largely agree, especially that the B9s on the Cobalts are overkill, but I think time will tell for the X1. It seems to be coping ok at present when I've used them, but the section between Gateshead and Wrekenton is a killer. 

I used them the other week, and completely agree in terms of Citaros. Even though I think the quality of the refurbishment they received a couple of years ago is starting to show.

Of course your average customer simply doesn't care about the mechanics behind a bus. Only that the bus gets them from A to B and that it is as enjoyable of a journey as possible. The Streetlite isn't a good passenger experience for me; you feel every bump, hear every rattle and only a small child would find themselves with enough leg room. The E200MMCs on the 97 are streets ahead of the Streetlite, and I think it's pretty much the same bus underneath!

L469 YVK

26 May 2021, 4:46 pm #78

I'd say on a per route basis, they need the following (these are NOT order suggestions but more more a vehicle to route match):

OM934 Cylinder StreetDeck:
- 21, 27, 56, 58, 309/310/311/X39, X45, X46

OM936 StreetDeck:
- X9/X10 (if returned from Coaches in future), X21

ADL E400MMC:
- 10/10A/10B/10X, X1, X30/X31, X47, X70/X71
L469 YVK
26 May 2021, 4:46 pm #78

I'd say on a per route basis, they need the following (these are NOT order suggestions but more more a vehicle to route match):

OM936 StreetDeck:

ADL E400MMC:

Adrian

26 May 2021, 7:12 pm #79
(26 May 2021, 4:46 pm)L469 YVK I'd say on a per route basis, they need the following (these are NOT order suggestions but more more a vehicle to route match):

OM936 StreetDeck:

ADL E400MMC:

Removing the interdecks from the X9/X10 would be a massive backward step.

Adrian
26 May 2021, 7:12 pm #79

(26 May 2021, 4:46 pm)L469 YVK I'd say on a per route basis, they need the following (these are NOT order suggestions but more more a vehicle to route match):

OM936 StreetDeck:

ADL E400MMC:

Removing the interdecks from the X9/X10 would be a massive backward step.

26 May 2021, 7:48 pm #80

OM936 StreetDeck:

ADL E400MMC:

The X47 is hardly a demanding route, I think the 4 cylinder StreetDeck is more than adequate. The only part I would consider anywhere near demanding would be the bank from Blackhall Mill to Chopwell

(26 May 2021, 7:12 pm)Adrian Removing the interdecks from the X9/X10 would be a massive backward step.

Now they've made such a fuss about them getting coaches for the X9/X10, it'd be a PR disaster to replace them with anything but another coach!

(26 May 2021, 1:04 pm)Stanleyone A lot of work has been put into resolving the door rattles especially on the coast & country streetlites, you might be surprised at the rattle free experience of the likes of 5406.

I'll have to give them a try, but I've used the 49 quite a few times today and yesterday and they were absolutely awful!
Edited 26 May 2021, 7:51 pm by streetdeckfan.
streetdeckfan
26 May 2021, 7:48 pm #80

OM936 StreetDeck:

ADL E400MMC:

The X47 is hardly a demanding route, I think the 4 cylinder StreetDeck is more than adequate. The only part I would consider anywhere near demanding would be the bank from Blackhall Mill to Chopwell

(26 May 2021, 7:12 pm)Adrian Removing the interdecks from the X9/X10 would be a massive backward step.

Now they've made such a fuss about them getting coaches for the X9/X10, it'd be a PR disaster to replace them with anything but another coach!

(26 May 2021, 1:04 pm)Stanleyone A lot of work has been put into resolving the door rattles especially on the coast & country streetlites, you might be surprised at the rattle free experience of the likes of 5406.

I'll have to give them a try, but I've used the 49 quite a few times today and yesterday and they were absolutely awful!

Pages (15) Previous 13 4 515 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average