Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East VOLTRA

VOLTRA

VOLTRA

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Pages (19) Previous 116 17 18 19 Next
Jamie M

08 Jun 2021, 4:43 pm #321
(07 Jun 2021, 8:29 pm)mb134 Not sure on the specifics, but I know First here use B7RLEs on all day boards on services which are generally Streetlite/E200MMC operated very frequently. I'd suggest that points to the fuel economy not being significantly worse, as there's not a chance in hell First (of all companies) are throwing away that much money if they can help it. 

Capacity wise I'm not sure on the exact numbers of the X66 Streetlites, but the B7s would be a small increase regardless - especially in terms of forward facing seating. 

All that said, it would be a strange one to go from branded Streetlites to older, second hand B7RLEs (unless it's part of a bigger plan). Personally any move which sees B7s replace Streetlites would be a smart one, they're absolutely fantastic.

Maybe they can be converted to euro 6, and maybe as a result they're more suited to Gateshead area than EYMS. Who knows.
Jamie M
08 Jun 2021, 4:43 pm #321

(07 Jun 2021, 8:29 pm)mb134 Not sure on the specifics, but I know First here use B7RLEs on all day boards on services which are generally Streetlite/E200MMC operated very frequently. I'd suggest that points to the fuel economy not being significantly worse, as there's not a chance in hell First (of all companies) are throwing away that much money if they can help it. 

Capacity wise I'm not sure on the exact numbers of the X66 Streetlites, but the B7s would be a small increase regardless - especially in terms of forward facing seating. 

All that said, it would be a strange one to go from branded Streetlites to older, second hand B7RLEs (unless it's part of a bigger plan). Personally any move which sees B7s replace Streetlites would be a smart one, they're absolutely fantastic.

Maybe they can be converted to euro 6, and maybe as a result they're more suited to Gateshead area than EYMS. Who knows.

Andreos1

09 Jun 2021, 9:14 am #322
(08 Jun 2021, 3:46 pm)big mac The £1 fare will help although I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make to the taxis even if the bus services were better around that area.  I think it's more of a case of people simply don't use buses to go drinking like they used to.  I remember people absolutely piling on services like the 27 and the 639 on Low Fell in the 90s which just simply doesn't happen any more.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

I think that's part of the bigger problem and something operators need to address.
I've mentioned the 194 missing out a section of route in Fatfield at chucking out time and I'm sure the 27 was the same along Kells Lane/Dryden Road at one point.
It was as though operators didn't want to have to deal with passengers and discouraged people using them back from the pub.
Surely counterproductive?

As it stood until very recently, we all know it was often cheaper getting a taxi back from the pub. Especially if there's a group of friends out.
The evening deal last year and now the £1 fare are both cracking initiatives and along with a flexible, attractive network it may go a long way in repairing some legacies of decisions made in the past.

The Quayside seems to be having a bit of a renaissance (from what I've witnessed anyway) and even if it doesn't get back to 90s levels of popularity, I do still think there's enough people down there to sustain some sort of network. 

Taxi drivers are like bees to a honeypot. They go where the demand is.
If there's taxis, there's potential bus passengers.

We've seen soft improvements (fares and on-board features).
Let's see some hard improvements to the network.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
09 Jun 2021, 9:14 am #322

(08 Jun 2021, 3:46 pm)big mac The £1 fare will help although I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make to the taxis even if the bus services were better around that area.  I think it's more of a case of people simply don't use buses to go drinking like they used to.  I remember people absolutely piling on services like the 27 and the 639 on Low Fell in the 90s which just simply doesn't happen any more.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

I think that's part of the bigger problem and something operators need to address.
I've mentioned the 194 missing out a section of route in Fatfield at chucking out time and I'm sure the 27 was the same along Kells Lane/Dryden Road at one point.
It was as though operators didn't want to have to deal with passengers and discouraged people using them back from the pub.

As it stood until very recently, we all know it was often cheaper getting a taxi back from the pub. Especially if there's a group of friends out.
The evening deal last year and now the £1 fare are both cracking initiatives and along with a flexible, attractive network it may go a long way in repairing some legacies of decisions made in the past.

The Quayside seems to be having a bit of a renaissance (from what I've witnessed anyway) and even if it doesn't get back to 90s levels of popularity, I do still think there's enough people down there to sustain some sort of network. 

Storx

09 Jun 2021, 9:36 am #323
(09 Jun 2021, 9:14 am)Andreos1 I think that's part of the bigger problem and something operators need to address.

Personally I think the difference is people's drinking habits. Over the last few decades we've got from drinking in the early evening to 11pm so buses we're still running so they were an option. Nowadays there's a large chunk of people who'd rather drink in there house and won't hit the clubs until 10pm'ish and stay out until 3am so there's no option to use the bus if they even wanted to. I can't see it ever changing personally as there'll never be demand for a full network at 2/3am in the morning for a few punters especially in town.

The evening fare is a great idea but I'm not sure it's targeted at the target market who go down the Quayside and will be more for your mature audience who stick to local pubs and possibly the likes of Grey Street who aren't there to get mortal lets say.

You'd be better off having later journeys on the Q3 rather than running the Q1/Q2 imo.
Storx
09 Jun 2021, 9:36 am #323

(09 Jun 2021, 9:14 am)Andreos1 I think that's part of the bigger problem and something operators need to address.

Personally I think the difference is people's drinking habits. Over the last few decades we've got from drinking in the early evening to 11pm so buses we're still running so they were an option. Nowadays there's a large chunk of people who'd rather drink in there house and won't hit the clubs until 10pm'ish and stay out until 3am so there's no option to use the bus if they even wanted to. I can't see it ever changing personally as there'll never be demand for a full network at 2/3am in the morning for a few punters especially in town.

The evening fare is a great idea but I'm not sure it's targeted at the target market who go down the Quayside and will be more for your mature audience who stick to local pubs and possibly the likes of Grey Street who aren't there to get mortal lets say.

You'd be better off having later journeys on the Q3 rather than running the Q1/Q2 imo.

JP6004

09 Jun 2021, 9:44 am #324
Bloody hell, it's been a long time since the 194!
JP6004
09 Jun 2021, 9:44 am #324

Bloody hell, it's been a long time since the 194!

Rob44

09 Jun 2021, 10:10 am #325
Going back to when i was a lad it used to be 45p adult from where i lived to Newcastle. Its now £3.20. that a increase if my maths is correct of around 890%. Around the same period we once got a taxi to town to get to hospital urgently and i think it cost 6 quid ( compared to 45p on the bus). Now it around 12-14 quid in a taxi compared to 3.20. You dont need a genius to work out why people use taxi's instead of the bus!
Rob44
09 Jun 2021, 10:10 am #325

Going back to when i was a lad it used to be 45p adult from where i lived to Newcastle. Its now £3.20. that a increase if my maths is correct of around 890%. Around the same period we once got a taxi to town to get to hospital urgently and i think it cost 6 quid ( compared to 45p on the bus). Now it around 12-14 quid in a taxi compared to 3.20. You dont need a genius to work out why people use taxi's instead of the bus!

Andreos1

09 Jun 2021, 10:49 am #326
(09 Jun 2021, 9:36 am)Storx Personally I think the difference is people's drinking habits. Over the last few decades we've got from drinking in the early evening to 11pm so buses we're still running so they were an option. Nowadays there's a large chunk of people who'd rather drink in there house and won't hit the clubs until 10pm'ish and stay out until 3am so there's no option to use the bus if they even wanted to. I can't see it ever changing personally as there'll never be demand for a full network at 2/3am in the morning for a few punters especially in town.

See, I know others who are going out earlier and coming back earlier.
You've got BTRBC under the Tyne Bridge plus the Baltic, Sage and the hotels along there too. Hard Rock has just opened. 
It's not all the Livello or Aveika crowd.

For all the Q3 does a job, it's not very attractive for those on the Quayside who are needing to head south or connect with something at Gateshead.
Adrian mentioned the 56 a week or two back, there's the 53/54 which could easily be sent down there on an evening or even a 21.
Very little outlay or expenditure to do so, but there is the potential for an increase in revenue and custom.

As an example, it's often easier me climbing up to Shields Road or New Bridge St and getting the first bus in to the town (before coming back out again) if I'm down the Ouseburn.
A reliable connection between the Q3 and something south at the bottom of Dean Street could be a lot easier (and cheaper) for me and many others.

(09 Jun 2021, 9:44 am)JP6004 Bloody hell, it's been a long time since the 194!

Isn't it just. Yet the legacy and habits created back then, still last now.
I remember the last 194 from Heworth that left at 23.15 and terminated at Newbottle was always heaving on a weekend.
It would pick up and drop off at various points, but always (like 2 or 3 other runs prior) miss out Fatfield and chucking out time there.

Some people are stuck in their habits and even if we have a few quiet ones in the club, the idea that the 4 runs down there near chucking out time still surprises some. They still remember the void 25/30 years ago.
Mind, they're probably the same folks that would call the 49, the 649!
Edited 09 Jun 2021, 10:56 am by Andreos1.

Andreos1
09 Jun 2021, 10:49 am #326

(09 Jun 2021, 9:36 am)Storx Personally I think the difference is people's drinking habits. Over the last few decades we've got from drinking in the early evening to 11pm so buses we're still running so they were an option. Nowadays there's a large chunk of people who'd rather drink in there house and won't hit the clubs until 10pm'ish and stay out until 3am so there's no option to use the bus if they even wanted to. I can't see it ever changing personally as there'll never be demand for a full network at 2/3am in the morning for a few punters especially in town.

See, I know others who are going out earlier and coming back earlier.
You've got BTRBC under the Tyne Bridge plus the Baltic, Sage and the hotels along there too. Hard Rock has just opened. 

For all the Q3 does a job, it's not very attractive for those on the Quayside who are needing to head south or connect with something at Gateshead.
Adrian mentioned the 56 a week or two back, there's the 53/54 which could easily be sent down there on an evening or even a 21.
Very little outlay or expenditure to do so, but there is the potential for an increase in revenue and custom.

As an example, it's often easier me climbing up to Shields Road or New Bridge St and getting the first bus in to the town (before coming back out again) if I'm down the Ouseburn.
A reliable connection between the Q3 and something south at the bottom of Dean Street could be a lot easier (and cheaper) for me and many others.

(09 Jun 2021, 9:44 am)JP6004 Bloody hell, it's been a long time since the 194!

I remember the last 194 from Heworth that left at 23.15 and terminated at Newbottle was always heaving on a weekend.
It would pick up and drop off at various points, but always (like 2 or 3 other runs prior) miss out Fatfield and chucking out time there.

Some people are stuck in their habits and even if we have a few quiet ones in the club, the idea that the 4 runs down there near chucking out time still surprises some. They still remember the void 25/30 years ago.

09 Jun 2021, 11:52 am #327
(09 Jun 2021, 10:49 am)Andreos1 See, I know others who are going out earlier and coming back earlier.

Some people are stuck in there habits and even if we have a few quiet ones in the club, the idea that the 4 runs down there near chucking out time still surprises some. They still remember the void 25/30 years ago.

I keep hearing all these 3 digit route numbers mentioned on here, is there a reason they were phased out?
streetdeckfan
09 Jun 2021, 11:52 am #327

(09 Jun 2021, 10:49 am)Andreos1 See, I know others who are going out earlier and coming back earlier.

Some people are stuck in there habits and even if we have a few quiet ones in the club, the idea that the 4 runs down there near chucking out time still surprises some. They still remember the void 25/30 years ago.

I keep hearing all these 3 digit route numbers mentioned on here, is there a reason they were phased out?

Andreos1

09 Jun 2021, 11:58 am #328
(09 Jun 2021, 11:52 am)streetdeckfan I keep hearing all these 3 digit route numbers mentioned on here, is there a reason they were phased out?

It was supposed to make things simpler for passengers - but nothing other than ideology imo.

Andreos1
09 Jun 2021, 11:58 am #328

(09 Jun 2021, 11:52 am)streetdeckfan I keep hearing all these 3 digit route numbers mentioned on here, is there a reason they were phased out?

It was supposed to make things simpler for passengers - but nothing other than ideology imo.

Rob44

09 Jun 2021, 12:14 pm #329
631 632 633 648 648 all used by me as a child in the 80's when off to my grandparents every Saturday
Rob44
09 Jun 2021, 12:14 pm #329

631 632 633 648 648 all used by me as a child in the 80's when off to my grandparents every Saturday

09 Jun 2021, 12:38 pm #330
(09 Jun 2021, 12:14 pm)Rob44 631 632 633 648 648 all used by me as a child in the 80's when off to my grandparents every Saturday

So did the first number signify that the bus route was in a certain area?
streetdeckfan
09 Jun 2021, 12:38 pm #330

(09 Jun 2021, 12:14 pm)Rob44 631 632 633 648 648 all used by me as a child in the 80's when off to my grandparents every Saturday

So did the first number signify that the bus route was in a certain area?

cbma06

09 Jun 2021, 12:48 pm #331
(09 Jun 2021, 12:38 pm)streetdeckfan So did the first number signify that the bus route was in a certain area?

This is only Roughly:

00’s Newcastle area
100’s Sunderland/houghton/Washington area
200’s Durham east area
300’s north Tyneside
400’s scholars
500’s south tyneside
600’s Gateshead
700’s Stanley/consett/Durham/Chester area
800’s
900’s Works

Others will know exact areas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
09 Jun 2021, 12:48 pm #331

(09 Jun 2021, 12:38 pm)streetdeckfan So did the first number signify that the bus route was in a certain area?

This is only Roughly:

00’s Newcastle area
100’s Sunderland/houghton/Washington area
200’s Durham east area
300’s north Tyneside
400’s scholars
500’s south tyneside
600’s Gateshead
700’s Stanley/consett/Durham/Chester area
800’s
900’s Works

Rob44

09 Jun 2021, 1:14 pm #332

See reply below. 6** were defiantly Gateshead west. 

I just thinking what the 56/57/58 were as never used them back in the 80's?
Rob44
09 Jun 2021, 1:14 pm #332

See reply below. 6** were defiantly Gateshead west. 

JP6004

09 Jun 2021, 1:53 pm #333
(09 Jun 2021, 1:14 pm)Rob44 See reply below. 6** were defiantly Gateshead west. 

Sure 57bwas the 527 and possibly the 56 was 187?
JP6004
09 Jun 2021, 1:53 pm #333

(09 Jun 2021, 1:14 pm)Rob44 See reply below. 6** were defiantly Gateshead west. 

Sure 57bwas the 527 and possibly the 56 was 187?

cbma06

09 Jun 2021, 1:55 pm #334
(09 Jun 2021, 1:53 pm)JP6004 Sure 57bwas the 527 and possibly the 56 was 187?

The 56 Newcastle to springwell estate every 10 minutes was always 56, service got extended to Sunderland in replace of 187/188, and replaced 185 in Sunderland also

cbma06
09 Jun 2021, 1:55 pm #334

(09 Jun 2021, 1:53 pm)JP6004 Sure 57bwas the 527 and possibly the 56 was 187?

The 56 Newcastle to springwell estate every 10 minutes was always 56, service got extended to Sunderland in replace of 187/188, and replaced 185 in Sunderland also

Rob44

09 Jun 2021, 2:12 pm #335
was the 527 not the VFM bus from central station to South shields?
Rob44
09 Jun 2021, 2:12 pm #335

was the 527 not the VFM bus from central station to South shields?

cbma06

09 Jun 2021, 2:27 pm #336
(09 Jun 2021, 2:12 pm)Rob44 was the 527 not the VFM bus from central station to South shields?

Yea, done that route a few times from shields to Marlborough crescent bus station, I think that was one of the last buses to use the old bus station before the service got transferred to terminate at central station and extended to worswick street bus station, the 527 used to go all over the Gateshead areas

cbma06
09 Jun 2021, 2:27 pm #336

(09 Jun 2021, 2:12 pm)Rob44 was the 527 not the VFM bus from central station to South shields?

Yea, done that route a few times from shields to Marlborough crescent bus station, I think that was one of the last buses to use the old bus station before the service got transferred to terminate at central station and extended to worswick street bus station, the 527 used to go all over the Gateshead areas

JP6004

09 Jun 2021, 2:28 pm #337
Might of 527 or 557 that was curtailed at wardley in 00s? Not too sure

(09 Jun 2021, 1:55 pm)cbma06 The 56  Newcastle to springwell estate every 10 minutes was always 56, service got extended to Sunderland in replace of 187/188, and replaced 185 in Sunderland also

Didnt one of then go down heworth road?
Edited 09 Jun 2021, 2:29 pm by JP6004.
JP6004
09 Jun 2021, 2:28 pm #337

Might of 527 or 557 that was curtailed at wardley in 00s? Not too sure

(09 Jun 2021, 1:55 pm)cbma06 The 56  Newcastle to springwell estate every 10 minutes was always 56, service got extended to Sunderland in replace of 187/188, and replaced 185 in Sunderland also

cbma06

09 Jun 2021, 2:39 pm #338
(09 Jun 2021, 2:28 pm)JP6004 Might of 527 or 557 that was curtailed at wardley in 00s? Not too sure

Yea, the 187 used to go along heworth road

cbma06
09 Jun 2021, 2:39 pm #338

(09 Jun 2021, 2:28 pm)JP6004 Might of 527 or 557 that was curtailed at wardley in 00s? Not too sure

Yea, the 187 used to go along heworth road

09 Jun 2021, 3:01 pm #339
(09 Jun 2021, 12:48 pm)cbma06 This is only Roughly:

00’s  Newcastle area
100’s  Sunderland/houghton/Washington area
200’s  Durham east area
300’s  north Tyneside
400’s  scholars
500’s  south tyneside
600’s  Gateshead
700’s  Stanley/consett/Durham/Chester area
800’s 
900’s  Works

400's were services Northwards into Northumberland, double figure numbers were Gateshead as well as Newcastle. 800's were independent operators. There was one or two exceptions to this.

ian foster
09 Jun 2021, 3:01 pm #339

(09 Jun 2021, 12:48 pm)cbma06 This is only Roughly:

00’s  Newcastle area
100’s  Sunderland/houghton/Washington area
200’s  Durham east area
300’s  north Tyneside
400’s  scholars
500’s  south tyneside
600’s  Gateshead
700’s  Stanley/consett/Durham/Chester area
800’s 
900’s  Works

400's were services Northwards into Northumberland, double figure numbers were Gateshead as well as Newcastle. 800's were independent operators. There was one or two exceptions to this.

09 Jun 2021, 3:28 pm #340
The Q3 isnt very convenient either if you want to take advantage of the £1 fare on an evening between wallsend and quayside, if the service curtails at St Peter's basin. That hasnt really been thought through at all given the micro breweries,restaurants and bars around the quayside/ouseburn area

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
atlantean560
09 Jun 2021, 3:28 pm #340

The Q3 isnt very convenient either if you want to take advantage of the £1 fare on an evening between wallsend and quayside, if the service curtails at St Peter's basin. That hasnt really been thought through at all given the micro breweries,restaurants and bars around the quayside/ouseburn area

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Pages (19) Previous 116 17 18 19 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average