Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East History of Christmas and New Year Buses

History of Christmas and New Year Buses

History of Christmas and New Year Buses

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

big mac

29 Dec 2020, 7:11 pm #1
I am posting this thread as I'm curious about how Go North East and other north east bus operators have operated bus services in the Christmas and New Year period.

For example
Has there ever been any services that have ran on Christmas Day or New Years Day?
When did the limited Boxing Day service come in?  I can remember when there wasn't any Boxing Day services a couple of decades ago.
Have the buses always knocked off between 6 and 7 on Christmas Eve and NYE?
Has it always been a Saturday service on the weekdays in between Christmas and Year?
big mac
29 Dec 2020, 7:11 pm #1

I am posting this thread as I'm curious about how Go North East and other north east bus operators have operated bus services in the Christmas and New Year period.

For example
Has there ever been any services that have ran on Christmas Day or New Years Day?
When did the limited Boxing Day service come in?  I can remember when there wasn't any Boxing Day services a couple of decades ago.
Has it always been a Saturday service on the weekdays in between Christmas and Year?

29 Dec 2020, 7:18 pm #2
I remember early to mid 80s as a kid there used to be a special hospital service on Christmas Day to the QE Hospital

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk
Expresslink
29 Dec 2020, 7:18 pm #2

I remember early to mid 80s as a kid there used to be a special hospital service on Christmas Day to the QE Hospital

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

29 Dec 2020, 7:23 pm #3
(29 Dec 2020, 7:11 pm)big mac I am posting this thread as I'm curious about how Go North East and other north east bus operators have operated bus services in the Christmas and New Year period.

For example

I think there was a very limited Christmas Day service back in the PTE days. Remember hearing stories of people getting the bus to their families in South Shields on Christmas day.
deanmachine
29 Dec 2020, 7:23 pm #3

(29 Dec 2020, 7:11 pm)big mac I am posting this thread as I'm curious about how Go North East and other north east bus operators have operated bus services in the Christmas and New Year period.

For example

I think there was a very limited Christmas Day service back in the PTE days. Remember hearing stories of people getting the bus to their families in South Shields on Christmas day.

29 Dec 2020, 8:41 pm #4
Arriva at Ashington ran a limited service Christmas and New Year's day as they had a hospital contract for which they towed a trailer.

Back about 1988 or 89 there was a service on Boxing Day and possibly N.Y Day that linked the Tyne Valley with Hospitals on Tyneside.

One ran Haltwhistle - Hexham - Wylam - General Hospital to possibly Freeman or RVI ran by Rowell's of Prudhoe.

The other ran along the south side linking Hexham and Prudhoe with the Hospitals.

I'm not sure who operated that one.

From memory there was 2 journeys on each and would have required 1 vehicle per route.
Tyne_Traveller
29 Dec 2020, 8:41 pm #4

Arriva at Ashington ran a limited service Christmas and New Year's day as they had a hospital contract for which they towed a trailer.

Back about 1988 or 89 there was a service on Boxing Day and possibly N.Y Day that linked the Tyne Valley with Hospitals on Tyneside.

One ran Haltwhistle - Hexham - Wylam - General Hospital to possibly Freeman or RVI ran by Rowell's of Prudhoe.

The other ran along the south side linking Hexham and Prudhoe with the Hospitals.

I'm not sure who operated that one.

From memory there was 2 journeys on each and would have required 1 vehicle per route.

30 Dec 2020, 9:29 am #5

For example

For many years a Sunday service operated on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day. I can't remember when this stopped and the very limited service was introduced. In my opinion there should be a better service on those days than we have now.
Ex-conductor
30 Dec 2020, 9:29 am #5

For example

For many years a Sunday service operated on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day. I can't remember when this stopped and the very limited service was introduced. In my opinion there should be a better service on those days than we have now.

Andreos1

30 Dec 2020, 11:09 am #6
(30 Dec 2020, 9:29 am)Ex-conductor For many years a Sunday service operated on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day. I can't remember when this stopped and the very limited service was introduced. In my opinion there should be a better service on those days than we have now.

I vaguely remember timetables being shared on here which outlined the level of Christmas service in the past and it being better for passengers than what we passengers see now. 

Whilst not saying we need a Sunday service or that the level of demand now, exceeds what was seen then. I do feel that operators need to move with the times and come up with something that meets current needs, wants and expectations.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
30 Dec 2020, 11:09 am #6

(30 Dec 2020, 9:29 am)Ex-conductor For many years a Sunday service operated on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day. I can't remember when this stopped and the very limited service was introduced. In my opinion there should be a better service on those days than we have now.

I vaguely remember timetables being shared on here which outlined the level of Christmas service in the past and it being better for passengers than what we passengers see now. 

Whilst not saying we need a Sunday service or that the level of demand now, exceeds what was seen then. I do feel that operators need to move with the times and come up with something that meets current needs, wants and expectations.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average