Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Bygone Era Carliol Square Newcastle

Carliol Square Newcastle

Carliol Square Newcastle

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Andreos1

15 Nov 2021, 5:15 pm #6
(15 Nov 2021, 4:36 pm)MurdnunoC It would have been well before the 80s, possibly the 60s before the CME was constructed, though it may have continued to act as layover for long-distance buses until the 80s. In some timetables I have from the late 60s/early 70s, some buses are listed as terminating at 'Newcastle Bus Park' (or something similarly named). This was located near Manors and is probably the layover area you describe.

This would have been 83/84ish. No earlier and if later, only a year or so.
We would have been at one of the stands near the top of Worswick St, waiting for a Birtley bus.

After posting the message, I went on Google Street maps and from the top end, you can see the offices at Manors, over the 'sunken' motorway, making the buildings in the business park, appear a shorter walk than they actually are.
Guessing they were built around about the time Warner Bros developed the cinema - which would tie in with the window mentioned above. 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/RZViCAjuj6M4Xn2P7

If that bus park you mention did survive, it could tie things up.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
15 Nov 2021, 5:15 pm #6

(15 Nov 2021, 4:36 pm)MurdnunoC It would have been well before the 80s, possibly the 60s before the CME was constructed, though it may have continued to act as layover for long-distance buses until the 80s. In some timetables I have from the late 60s/early 70s, some buses are listed as terminating at 'Newcastle Bus Park' (or something similarly named). This was located near Manors and is probably the layover area you describe.

This would have been 83/84ish. No earlier and if later, only a year or so.
We would have been at one of the stands near the top of Worswick St, waiting for a Birtley bus.

After posting the message, I went on Google Street maps and from the top end, you can see the offices at Manors, over the 'sunken' motorway, making the buildings in the business park, appear a shorter walk than they actually are.
Guessing they were built around about the time Warner Bros developed the cinema - which would tie in with the window mentioned above. 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/RZViCAjuj6M4Xn2P7

If that bus park you mention did survive, it could tie things up.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Messages In This Thread
Carliol Square Newcastle - by LVK 404L - 17 Feb 2021, 8:20 pm
RE: Carliol Square Newcastle - by Andreos1 - 17 Feb 2021, 11:00 pm
RE: Carliol Square Newcastle - by LVK 404L - 18 Feb 2021, 8:05 am
RE: Carliol Square Newcastle - by Andreos1 - 14 Nov 2021, 10:15 pm
RE: Carliol Square Newcastle - by MurdnunoC - 15 Nov 2021, 4:36 pm
RE: Carliol Square Newcastle - by Andreos1 - 15 Nov 2021, 5:15 pm
RE: Carliol Square Newcastle - by MurdnunoC - 15 Nov 2021, 5:47 pm
RE: Carliol Square Newcastle - by Andreos1 - 15 Nov 2021, 6:22 pm