Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East New service X11

New service X11

New service X11

• 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average

Pages (28) Previous 13 4 528 Next
L469 YVK

07 Mar 2021, 2:28 pm #61
(07 Mar 2021, 12:06 pm)Dan Martijn has confirmed in his live colleague update on Facebook this afternoon that it is a one-bus one-driver shift, commencing next month weekends only and eventually being daily over the summer holidays.
That's great stuff to be fair!

Will it be coach operated or 6377? (or a mix depending on demand)
L469 YVK
07 Mar 2021, 2:28 pm #61

(07 Mar 2021, 12:06 pm)Dan Martijn has confirmed in his live colleague update on Facebook this afternoon that it is a one-bus one-driver shift, commencing next month weekends only and eventually being daily over the summer holidays.
That's great stuff to be fair!

Will it be coach operated or 6377? (or a mix depending on demand)

mb134

07 Mar 2021, 4:13 pm #62
(07 Mar 2021, 1:47 pm)Andreos1 By the looks of it, this X11 is nothing more than a day out for the driver.
A shame, as I do believe it could have not only complemented the X9/10, but also encouraged ANE to do something about the X93.

I genuinely hoped there would be a joint depot operation, with early morning, mid-day and evening runs extending the full way and the rest operating as the X9/10 does now.
Not only would it have been creative and different for day-trippers and holidaymakers, it may have attracted passengers travelling between key points.
I feel it is very half-hearted and almost like SNE's attempt a few years ago between Stockton/Greatham and Newcastle.

The flipside of that is that, to realistically compete with the X93 you'd need to look at an hourly frequency, especially if we bear in mind that over the summer they pump up the Whitby-Scarborough leg to every 20 minutes. That would be a PVR of approximately 7, assuming a journey time of around 3 hours and layover at both ends and some time at M'Boro to soak up any delays. 

A PVR of 7 vehicles (and they'd need to be decent vehicles at that) on a brand new service which would compete with an established and good quality service for half it's route just isn't justifiable in the current climate. (I understand there are folks who think the X93 could be better, and I agree it could, but for the seasonal route it is I think ANE on the whole do a pretty good job with it and the B9s are of a reasonably good spec).
mb134
07 Mar 2021, 4:13 pm #62

(07 Mar 2021, 1:47 pm)Andreos1 By the looks of it, this X11 is nothing more than a day out for the driver.
A shame, as I do believe it could have not only complemented the X9/10, but also encouraged ANE to do something about the X93.

I genuinely hoped there would be a joint depot operation, with early morning, mid-day and evening runs extending the full way and the rest operating as the X9/10 does now.
Not only would it have been creative and different for day-trippers and holidaymakers, it may have attracted passengers travelling between key points.
I feel it is very half-hearted and almost like SNE's attempt a few years ago between Stockton/Greatham and Newcastle.

The flipside of that is that, to realistically compete with the X93 you'd need to look at an hourly frequency, especially if we bear in mind that over the summer they pump up the Whitby-Scarborough leg to every 20 minutes. That would be a PVR of approximately 7, assuming a journey time of around 3 hours and layover at both ends and some time at M'Boro to soak up any delays. 

A PVR of 7 vehicles (and they'd need to be decent vehicles at that) on a brand new service which would compete with an established and good quality service for half it's route just isn't justifiable in the current climate. (I understand there are folks who think the X93 could be better, and I agree it could, but for the seasonal route it is I think ANE on the whole do a pretty good job with it and the B9s are of a reasonably good spec).

Andreos1

07 Mar 2021, 4:39 pm #63
(07 Mar 2021, 4:13 pm)mb134 The flipside of that is that, to realistically compete with the X93 you'd need to look at an hourly frequency, especially if we bear in mind that over the summer they pump up the Whitby-Scarborough leg to every 20 minutes. That would be a PVR of approximately 7, assuming a journey time of around 3 hours and layover at both ends and some time at M'Boro to soak up any delays. 

I don't think it needs to compete at all with the X93. I think there would probably be enough demand to operate the X93 as it is and have the X11 run it's 2/3 full return trips.
PVR to cover 60 min frequency between Newcastle and Boro, with 3 or 4 p/d extending between Boro and Scarborough. Split between two depots, surely that's not too much of a strain on resources? 

To get back to the main point of the thread, if operators are trying to stop the decline in passenger numbers, then they need to be more creative than they are currently - such as creating a network which works for passengers in 2021, not 1987.
I'm not saying this X11 would be the solution, but it would have definitely been a start.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
07 Mar 2021, 4:39 pm #63

(07 Mar 2021, 4:13 pm)mb134 The flipside of that is that, to realistically compete with the X93 you'd need to look at an hourly frequency, especially if we bear in mind that over the summer they pump up the Whitby-Scarborough leg to every 20 minutes. That would be a PVR of approximately 7, assuming a journey time of around 3 hours and layover at both ends and some time at M'Boro to soak up any delays. 

I don't think it needs to compete at all with the X93. I think there would probably be enough demand to operate the X93 as it is and have the X11 run it's 2/3 full return trips.
PVR to cover 60 min frequency between Newcastle and Boro, with 3 or 4 p/d extending between Boro and Scarborough. Split between two depots, surely that's not too much of a strain on resources? 

To get back to the main point of the thread, if operators are trying to stop the decline in passenger numbers, then they need to be more creative than they are currently - such as creating a network which works for passengers in 2021, not 1987.
I'm not saying this X11 would be the solution, but it would have definitely been a start.

Adrian

07 Mar 2021, 5:00 pm #64
Mod note: I've moved a couple of posts from the 'decline in passenger numbers' thread into here, to avoid having the same conversation in two places.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
07 Mar 2021, 5:00 pm #64

Mod note: I've moved a couple of posts from the 'decline in passenger numbers' thread into here, to avoid having the same conversation in two places.

MurdnunoC

07 Mar 2021, 6:20 pm #65
(07 Mar 2021, 5:00 pm)Adrian Mod note: I've moved a couple of posts from the 'decline in passenger numbers' thread into here, to avoid having the same conversation in two places.

You have no authority !!!
MurdnunoC
07 Mar 2021, 6:20 pm #65

(07 Mar 2021, 5:00 pm)Adrian Mod note: I've moved a couple of posts from the 'decline in passenger numbers' thread into here, to avoid having the same conversation in two places.

You have no authority !!!

V514DFT

07 Mar 2021, 7:50 pm #66
(07 Mar 2021, 6:20 pm)MurdnunoC You have no authority !!!
Yes he does,hes a Community Leader,which is part of the moderation side of things

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
07 Mar 2021, 7:50 pm #66

Yes he does,hes a Community Leader,which is part of the moderation side of things

Kind Regards
Tez

Adrian

07 Mar 2021, 8:08 pm #67

Alright Councillor Tolver - calm down.  Rolleyes

Adrian
07 Mar 2021, 8:08 pm #67

Alright Councillor Tolver - calm down.  Rolleyes

big mac

07 Mar 2021, 9:14 pm #68
(07 Mar 2021, 7:50 pm)V514DFT Yes he does,hes a Community Leader,which is part of the moderation side of things
I think you may have missed the Handforth Parish Council reference.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk
big mac
07 Mar 2021, 9:14 pm #68

(07 Mar 2021, 7:50 pm)V514DFT Yes he does,hes a Community Leader,which is part of the moderation side of things
I think you may have missed the Handforth Parish Council reference.

V514DFT

07 Mar 2021, 9:31 pm #69
(07 Mar 2021, 9:14 pm)big mac I think you may have missed the Handforth Parish Council reference.

Im 27, it was probs before my time

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
07 Mar 2021, 9:31 pm #69

(07 Mar 2021, 9:14 pm)big mac I think you may have missed the Handforth Parish Council reference.

Im 27, it was probs before my time

Kind Regards
Tez

Michael

07 Mar 2021, 10:15 pm #70
(07 Mar 2021, 9:31 pm)V514DFT Im 27, it was probs before my time

It only happened a few weeks ago

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
07 Mar 2021, 10:15 pm #70

(07 Mar 2021, 9:31 pm)V514DFT Im 27, it was probs before my time

It only happened a few weeks ago

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

V514DFT

08 Mar 2021, 2:53 am #71
(07 Mar 2021, 10:15 pm)Michael It only happened a few weeks ago
I dont really pay much attention,i probably missed it

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
08 Mar 2021, 2:53 am #71

(07 Mar 2021, 10:15 pm)Michael It only happened a few weeks ago
I dont really pay much attention,i probably missed it

Kind Regards
Tez

Michael

08 Mar 2021, 5:49 pm #72
(06 Mar 2021, 1:38 pm)Michael Just spotted this on VOSA...

Start point: Newcastle, John Dobson Street

Finish point: Scarborough, Rail Station

Via Gateshead, Washington, Middlesbrough, Whitby

---------

Starts 17th April 2021

Its appeared on VOSA today, the CSV confirms - One return journey each day, up to seven days a week.

Glad to see it running it everyday.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
08 Mar 2021, 5:49 pm #72

(06 Mar 2021, 1:38 pm)Michael Just spotted this on VOSA...

Start point: Newcastle, John Dobson Street

Finish point: Scarborough, Rail Station

Via Gateshead, Washington, Middlesbrough, Whitby

---------

Starts 17th April 2021

Its appeared on VOSA today, the CSV confirms - One return journey each day, up to seven days a week.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

09 Mar 2021, 8:00 am #73
(08 Mar 2021, 5:49 pm)Michael Its appeared on VOSA today, the CSV confirms - One return journey each day, up to seven days a week.

I wonder what the timings are going to be like. I'd imagine it's at least a 3 hour journey each way, and since it's going to be essentially a day trip service you're going to want at least 4-5 hours there. If it leaves at say 9am, that gets you there for lunch time, if it leaves at 4-5pm, that gets you back to Newcastle at 7-8pm.
streetdeckfan
09 Mar 2021, 8:00 am #73

(08 Mar 2021, 5:49 pm)Michael Its appeared on VOSA today, the CSV confirms - One return journey each day, up to seven days a week.

I wonder what the timings are going to be like. I'd imagine it's at least a 3 hour journey each way, and since it's going to be essentially a day trip service you're going to want at least 4-5 hours there. If it leaves at say 9am, that gets you there for lunch time, if it leaves at 4-5pm, that gets you back to Newcastle at 7-8pm.

mb134

09 Mar 2021, 8:33 am #74
(09 Mar 2021, 8:00 am)streetdeckfan I wonder what the timings are going to be like. I'd imagine it's at least a 3 hour journey each way, and since it's going to be essentially a day trip service you're going to want at least 4-5 hours there. If it leaves at say 9am, that gets you there for lunch time, if it leaves at 4-5pm, that gets you back to Newcastle at 7-8pm.

They'll be somewhat similar to this I'd think, though obviously a slightly increased journey time with serving Washington.

http://www.travelnortheast.co.uk/downloa...l-Scar.pdf
mb134
09 Mar 2021, 8:33 am #74

(09 Mar 2021, 8:00 am)streetdeckfan I wonder what the timings are going to be like. I'd imagine it's at least a 3 hour journey each way, and since it's going to be essentially a day trip service you're going to want at least 4-5 hours there. If it leaves at say 9am, that gets you there for lunch time, if it leaves at 4-5pm, that gets you back to Newcastle at 7-8pm.

They'll be somewhat similar to this I'd think, though obviously a slightly increased journey time with serving Washington.

http://www.travelnortheast.co.uk/downloa...l-Scar.pdf

tvd

09 Mar 2021, 8:55 am #75
One return trip per day just seems a little underwhelming. A shame GNE cant connect something between their two areas. I'm not sure how many people would use it, but an infrequent variation of say the EYMS service 128 from Pickering and Helmsley up to Teesside could be an another idea to give a new connection between places currently hard to get to by public transport.

Unless Scarborough & District and GNE worked something together, it's unrealistic to expect more than what we're getting on the X11, but of course us bus enthusiasts always want more!
tvd
09 Mar 2021, 8:55 am #75

One return trip per day just seems a little underwhelming. A shame GNE cant connect something between their two areas. I'm not sure how many people would use it, but an infrequent variation of say the EYMS service 128 from Pickering and Helmsley up to Teesside could be an another idea to give a new connection between places currently hard to get to by public transport.

Unless Scarborough & District and GNE worked something together, it's unrealistic to expect more than what we're getting on the X11, but of course us bus enthusiasts always want more!

Andreos1

09 Mar 2021, 11:39 am #76
(09 Mar 2021, 8:55 am)tvd One return trip per day just seems a little underwhelming.  A shame GNE cant connect something between their two areas.  I'm not sure how many people would use it, but an infrequent variation of say the EYMS service 128 from Pickering and Helmsley up to Teesside could be an another idea to give a new connection between places currently hard to get to by public transport.

I think that 128 variation is an excellent idea. Apart from walkers and those looking to get to The Lion, Rosedale or Hutton le Hole, it would certainly open up a connection over the moors. 
Marketed and designed correctly, I reckon it could work well.

Andreos1
09 Mar 2021, 11:39 am #76

(09 Mar 2021, 8:55 am)tvd One return trip per day just seems a little underwhelming.  A shame GNE cant connect something between their two areas.  I'm not sure how many people would use it, but an infrequent variation of say the EYMS service 128 from Pickering and Helmsley up to Teesside could be an another idea to give a new connection between places currently hard to get to by public transport.

I think that 128 variation is an excellent idea. Apart from walkers and those looking to get to The Lion, Rosedale or Hutton le Hole, it would certainly open up a connection over the moors. 
Marketed and designed correctly, I reckon it could work well.

Storx

09 Mar 2021, 1:27 pm #77
Personally if they we're going to do a secondary bus from Scarborough way to Teesside I'd look at doing a X12 instead with something like the following route - https://www.google.com/maps/dir/54.57610...92!1m0!3e0

One leaving Bridlington at 8.45am and a second at 11.45am and try to appeal to the numerous holiday parks there with a diversion via Seamer and advertise it as a bus to train connection for those heading South. It also opens new connections for day trips for those at the holiday parks to Scarborough North Bay and Whitby and places inbetween with through tickets at Teesside for those at the parks needing a trip home North with the first one being ideal at around 10.45 to pick the Whitby passengers up at kicking out time and the second for those have late check out or only want a few hours at Scarborough.

Then have returns from Boro at 12pm for those going to the holiday parks and pick passengers up so it'll get there for roughly check in time and the second one at 3pm to hit Whitby at 4pm and Scarborough at 5pm (give or take) to take the people back to their Caravans after their day out.
Storx
09 Mar 2021, 1:27 pm #77

Personally if they we're going to do a secondary bus from Scarborough way to Teesside I'd look at doing a X12 instead with something like the following route - https://www.google.com/maps/dir/54.57610...92!1m0!3e0

One leaving Bridlington at 8.45am and a second at 11.45am and try to appeal to the numerous holiday parks there with a diversion via Seamer and advertise it as a bus to train connection for those heading South. It also opens new connections for day trips for those at the holiday parks to Scarborough North Bay and Whitby and places inbetween with through tickets at Teesside for those at the parks needing a trip home North with the first one being ideal at around 10.45 to pick the Whitby passengers up at kicking out time and the second for those have late check out or only want a few hours at Scarborough.

Then have returns from Boro at 12pm for those going to the holiday parks and pick passengers up so it'll get there for roughly check in time and the second one at 3pm to hit Whitby at 4pm and Scarborough at 5pm (give or take) to take the people back to their Caravans after their day out.

Andreos1

09 Mar 2021, 4:36 pm #78
(09 Mar 2021, 1:27 pm)Storx Personally if they we're going to do a secondary bus from Scarborough way to Teesside I'd look at doing a X12 instead with something like the following route - https://www.google.com/maps/dir/54.57610...92!1m0!3e0

I wonder if the Scarborough - Bridlington section is covered adequately already?
However, what you did suggest is exactly what I thought this X11 would be.
Genuinely disappointed it's not.

Andreos1
09 Mar 2021, 4:36 pm #78

(09 Mar 2021, 1:27 pm)Storx Personally if they we're going to do a secondary bus from Scarborough way to Teesside I'd look at doing a X12 instead with something like the following route - https://www.google.com/maps/dir/54.57610...92!1m0!3e0

I wonder if the Scarborough - Bridlington section is covered adequately already?
However, what you did suggest is exactly what I thought this X11 would be.
Genuinely disappointed it's not.

09 Mar 2021, 5:39 pm #79
Thinking more about it, it seems like a complete waste of money to me, realistically how much are they going to make.
If they're using a coach and we assume they fill it to around 75% capacity (which is basically as much as they could at the minute, if there are quite a few groups), that's say 35 people.

If a return ticket is £10 (which is all they can really charge since an explorer is £10.90 and I assume they'll want to accept it), that's £350 in revenue.

To run it, they're going to need to pay a driver to drive down, sit around for a few hours and drive back, so if we say a driver is £10 an hour, that's going to be around £110.
For the fuel, say they're getting 10mpg, and fuel is around £1.20 a litre at the minute, so it's going to be another £110 in fuel.
Then there's the cost of the vehicle, now I'd imagine GNE have a fair few vehicles laying around at the minute still, so that cost is probably fairly minimal.
Then there's all the admin costs, stand fees etc.

So they're potentially, in the best case going to be making just over £100 a day, unless I've got my maths completely wrong?
streetdeckfan
09 Mar 2021, 5:39 pm #79

Thinking more about it, it seems like a complete waste of money to me, realistically how much are they going to make.
If they're using a coach and we assume they fill it to around 75% capacity (which is basically as much as they could at the minute, if there are quite a few groups), that's say 35 people.

If a return ticket is £10 (which is all they can really charge since an explorer is £10.90 and I assume they'll want to accept it), that's £350 in revenue.

To run it, they're going to need to pay a driver to drive down, sit around for a few hours and drive back, so if we say a driver is £10 an hour, that's going to be around £110.
For the fuel, say they're getting 10mpg, and fuel is around £1.20 a litre at the minute, so it's going to be another £110 in fuel.
Then there's the cost of the vehicle, now I'd imagine GNE have a fair few vehicles laying around at the minute still, so that cost is probably fairly minimal.

So they're potentially, in the best case going to be making just over £100 a day, unless I've got my maths completely wrong?

mb134

09 Mar 2021, 5:47 pm #80
(09 Mar 2021, 5:39 pm)streetdeckfan Thinking more about it, it seems like a complete waste of money to me, realistically how much are they going to make.

I think the likelihood of them using a coach is slim to none, as I've said before there's probably a very solid reason why 6377 did that run last week. Don't forget they likely have a far lower cost than that for fuel also.

Hopefully by June, too, the restrictions in terms of social distancing have been eradicated which will mean you could have a full load on. So that's immediately, say on a decker, 70 bums on seats.
mb134
09 Mar 2021, 5:47 pm #80

(09 Mar 2021, 5:39 pm)streetdeckfan Thinking more about it, it seems like a complete waste of money to me, realistically how much are they going to make.

I think the likelihood of them using a coach is slim to none, as I've said before there's probably a very solid reason why 6377 did that run last week. Don't forget they likely have a far lower cost than that for fuel also.

Hopefully by June, too, the restrictions in terms of social distancing have been eradicated which will mean you could have a full load on. So that's immediately, say on a decker, 70 bums on seats.

Pages (28) Previous 13 4 528 Next

• 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average