Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East New service X11

New service X11

New service X11

• 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average

Pages (28) Previous 15 6 728 Next
10 Mar 2021, 6:49 pm #101
I think the number are we considered 6337 is Charcoal and 6338 is Green X Lines. Im guessing 6336 is the other one or possibly 6334 and 6335. Maybe who knows. Could even be the Scania Decker
MichealAaron
10 Mar 2021, 6:49 pm #101

I think the number are we considered 6337 is Charcoal and 6338 is Green X Lines. Im guessing 6336 is the other one or possibly 6334 and 6335. Maybe who knows. Could even be the Scania Decker

Dan

Site Administrator

10 Mar 2021, 7:29 pm #102
(10 Mar 2021, 6:38 pm)omnicity4659 Has that been confirmed by someone at GNE or is it wibble?

Unless Consett are going to run an older bus as a spare bus for the X30 (if 6336 is taken away) or Hexham will run an older bus as part of the PVR on services X84/X85 when service levels are restored next month (if 6337 is taken away), I don't think this speculation sounds very plausible.
Dan
10 Mar 2021, 7:29 pm #102

(10 Mar 2021, 6:38 pm)omnicity4659 Has that been confirmed by someone at GNE or is it wibble?

Unless Consett are going to run an older bus as a spare bus for the X30 (if 6336 is taken away) or Hexham will run an older bus as part of the PVR on services X84/X85 when service levels are restored next month (if 6337 is taken away), I don't think this speculation sounds very plausible.

10 Mar 2021, 8:38 pm #103
(10 Mar 2021, 7:29 pm)Dan Unless Consett are going to run an older bus as a spare bus for the X30 (if 6336 is taken away) or Hexham will run an older bus as part of the PVR on services X84/X85 when service levels are restored next month (if 6337 is taken away), I don't think this speculation sounds very plausible.

Careful you set Streetdeckfan off about vehicle specifications.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
10 Mar 2021, 8:38 pm #103

(10 Mar 2021, 7:29 pm)Dan Unless Consett are going to run an older bus as a spare bus for the X30 (if 6336 is taken away) or Hexham will run an older bus as part of the PVR on services X84/X85 when service levels are restored next month (if 6337 is taken away), I don't think this speculation sounds very plausible.

Careful you set Streetdeckfan off about vehicle specifications.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/

L469 YVK

10 Mar 2021, 8:52 pm #104
Agree, I doubt GNE would send an E400MMC on the X11. Great buses (in the right hands) but definitely not cut off for monster trips like that.

Will most likely be 6377.

Also Dan, how would breakdowns & unexpected overcrowing work? Would EYMS cover the Middlesbrough > Scarborough section with GNE covering the Middlesbrough > Newcastle section?
L469 YVK
10 Mar 2021, 8:52 pm #104

Agree, I doubt GNE would send an E400MMC on the X11. Great buses (in the right hands) but definitely not cut off for monster trips like that.

Also Dan, how would breakdowns & unexpected overcrowing work? Would EYMS cover the Middlesbrough > Scarborough section with GNE covering the Middlesbrough > Newcastle section?

mb134

10 Mar 2021, 9:19 pm #105
(10 Mar 2021, 8:52 pm)L469 YVK Agree, I doubt GNE would send an E400MMC on the X11. Great buses (in the right hands) but definitely not cut off for monster trips like that.

For a once a day trip, I think an MMC would be absolutely fine - it'll have at least a couple of hours rest down there. I think 6377 will be the best choice, again I think there's a reason it tracked on that trip last week, but an MMC would cope just fine. Remember that GNE used B7TLs, with a similar sized engine, on the TTX and they were fine for the first while, and ANE use B7TLs on the X93 summer extras without any real issue.
mb134
10 Mar 2021, 9:19 pm #105

(10 Mar 2021, 8:52 pm)L469 YVK Agree, I doubt GNE would send an E400MMC on the X11. Great buses (in the right hands) but definitely not cut off for monster trips like that.

For a once a day trip, I think an MMC would be absolutely fine - it'll have at least a couple of hours rest down there. I think 6377 will be the best choice, again I think there's a reason it tracked on that trip last week, but an MMC would cope just fine. Remember that GNE used B7TLs, with a similar sized engine, on the TTX and they were fine for the first while, and ANE use B7TLs on the X93 summer extras without any real issue.

GNE6312

10 Mar 2021, 10:38 pm #106
(10 Mar 2021, 1:25 pm)CookieMonster They are planning on using 6337 or 6338 (whichever ones has been parked up a while) i think its had a tacho fitted to it. The voyager omnidecker is a backup bus (don't ask!). It shouldn't have a coach on it as some of the old x9/x10 ones are up for sale and others are backup for x9, x10 as is 6377. Its going Newcastle, Gateshead, Washington, maybe Stockton but could be mistaken, not sure about the Middlesbrough then onto towards Whitby and Scarborough. It will then do a return trip Scarborough to Whitby and back, then back to Newcastle. Explores i believe can be used.
Would make more sense being allocated 7155 (or whatever the Ex EYC elite is numbered) doubt anyone would sit for Newcastle to Scarborough on a normal bus.
GNE6312
10 Mar 2021, 10:38 pm #106

(10 Mar 2021, 1:25 pm)CookieMonster They are planning on using 6337 or 6338 (whichever ones has been parked up a while) i think its had a tacho fitted to it. The voyager omnidecker is a backup bus (don't ask!). It shouldn't have a coach on it as some of the old x9/x10 ones are up for sale and others are backup for x9, x10 as is 6377. Its going Newcastle, Gateshead, Washington, maybe Stockton but could be mistaken, not sure about the Middlesbrough then onto towards Whitby and Scarborough. It will then do a return trip Scarborough to Whitby and back, then back to Newcastle. Explores i believe can be used.
Would make more sense being allocated 7155 (or whatever the Ex EYC elite is numbered) doubt anyone would sit for Newcastle to Scarborough on a normal bus.

BusLoverMum

11 Mar 2021, 12:19 am #107
(07 Mar 2021, 12:48 am)Storx Ah really? Surprised at that, I looked at Newcastle to Scarborough and was getting just over 2 hours via train like and like nearly 5 hours by bus. Even for Whitby it was doing X93 to Scarborough then train and that was neck and neck. Fares were a joke paying full price tho mind on the train.

Just checked Durham and getting the same now but things might've changed since then, possibly some engineering or something that weekend somewhere.

Bus: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/54.77049...e0!3e3!5i3 - 4 Hours, 30 Mins
Train: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/54.77049...e0!5e2!3e3 - 2 Hours, 30 Mins
I was getting routed via York, at the time, so you might be right about maintenance. There were through buses to scabby, at the time, so x12 then x93 was about 3.5 hours.
BusLoverMum
11 Mar 2021, 12:19 am #107

(07 Mar 2021, 12:48 am)Storx Ah really? Surprised at that, I looked at Newcastle to Scarborough and was getting just over 2 hours via train like and like nearly 5 hours by bus. Even for Whitby it was doing X93 to Scarborough then train and that was neck and neck. Fares were a joke paying full price tho mind on the train.

Just checked Durham and getting the same now but things might've changed since then, possibly some engineering or something that weekend somewhere.

Bus: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/54.77049...e0!3e3!5i3 - 4 Hours, 30 Mins
Train: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/54.77049...e0!5e2!3e3 - 2 Hours, 30 Mins
I was getting routed via York, at the time, so you might be right about maintenance. There were through buses to scabby, at the time, so x12 then x93 was about 3.5 hours.

11 Mar 2021, 4:04 am #108
(11 Mar 2021, 12:19 am)BusLoverMum I was getting routed via York, at the time, so you might be right about maintenance. There were through buses to scabby, at the time, so x12 then x93 was about 3.5 hours.

There's only two lines to and from Scarborough, from York and from Hull.
omnicity4659
11 Mar 2021, 4:04 am #108

(11 Mar 2021, 12:19 am)BusLoverMum I was getting routed via York, at the time, so you might be right about maintenance. There were through buses to scabby, at the time, so x12 then x93 was about 3.5 hours.

There's only two lines to and from Scarborough, from York and from Hull.

Storx

11 Mar 2021, 1:09 pm #109

Yeah it will take you via York, the ECML only takes 45 minutes to York then 50 minutes from there to Scarborough roughly, it'll depend on connections though how long it takes though as it's only hourly to Scarbz. I know there was a lot of blockades on Summer weekends last year on the ECML with them doing work down in KGX so had a limited service so that might be why it took longer with bad connections.
Storx
11 Mar 2021, 1:09 pm #109

Yeah it will take you via York, the ECML only takes 45 minutes to York then 50 minutes from there to Scarborough roughly, it'll depend on connections though how long it takes though as it's only hourly to Scarbz. I know there was a lot of blockades on Summer weekends last year on the ECML with them doing work down in KGX so had a limited service so that might be why it took longer with bad connections.

11 Mar 2021, 1:26 pm #110
I personally would take a direct bus instead of taking two trains, even if it takes a bit longer. In fact, even if it was two buses, I'd probably still take the bus

I find changing trains so stressful, the platforms are never where you expect and the signage is always terrible.
If I can just get on a bus, and get off where I need to be, that's worth the extra time, and I can imagine it'd probably be the same for people with kids
streetdeckfan
11 Mar 2021, 1:26 pm #110

I personally would take a direct bus instead of taking two trains, even if it takes a bit longer. In fact, even if it was two buses, I'd probably still take the bus

I find changing trains so stressful, the platforms are never where you expect and the signage is always terrible.
If I can just get on a bus, and get off where I need to be, that's worth the extra time, and I can imagine it'd probably be the same for people with kids

Storx

11 Mar 2021, 1:43 pm #111
(11 Mar 2021, 1:26 pm)streetdeckfan I personally would take a direct bus instead of taking two trains, even if it takes a bit longer. In fact, even if it was two buses, I'd probably still take the bus

I'm not sure people with kids would prefer buses mind.

Trains are better for families as you get tables which easily fit 4 people around, you've got food / drinks on board, the atmosphere is generally nicer than a bus more spacious and most importantly there's a toilet.

Imagine being on a the X11 with a Omnidekka and you just leave Middlesbrough and your kid needs the toilet or is even younger and shits it's nappy. Your going to have a very amused bus load of passengers and a very embarrasing journey. It's definitely something I'd be thinking about if I had kids and I'd pay a premium to avoid that.

Plus if you have a 30 minute wait at York it's time to quickly get a Burger King or whatever to eat on the second train and shuts them up for a bit, eating food on buses is banned on the other hand even known it's rarely enforced.

Swapping trains and buses are probably about equal in confusingness tbf, depends which you use more really; personally I find swapping trains piss easy but could understand how others wouldn't.
Storx
11 Mar 2021, 1:43 pm #111

(11 Mar 2021, 1:26 pm)streetdeckfan I personally would take a direct bus instead of taking two trains, even if it takes a bit longer. In fact, even if it was two buses, I'd probably still take the bus

I'm not sure people with kids would prefer buses mind.

Trains are better for families as you get tables which easily fit 4 people around, you've got food / drinks on board, the atmosphere is generally nicer than a bus more spacious and most importantly there's a toilet.

Imagine being on a the X11 with a Omnidekka and you just leave Middlesbrough and your kid needs the toilet or is even younger and shits it's nappy. Your going to have a very amused bus load of passengers and a very embarrasing journey. It's definitely something I'd be thinking about if I had kids and I'd pay a premium to avoid that.

Plus if you have a 30 minute wait at York it's time to quickly get a Burger King or whatever to eat on the second train and shuts them up for a bit, eating food on buses is banned on the other hand even known it's rarely enforced.

Swapping trains and buses are probably about equal in confusingness tbf, depends which you use more really; personally I find swapping trains piss easy but could understand how others wouldn't.

11 Mar 2021, 2:11 pm #112
(11 Mar 2021, 1:43 pm)Storx I'm not sure people with kids would prefer buses mind.

I would say with a bus it's easier to get off and back on the next one, but since it's running once a day, it's not.
But it also depends on what vehicle they're using, if it's a coach, there's toilets. If it's 6377, there's tables.
streetdeckfan
11 Mar 2021, 2:11 pm #112

(11 Mar 2021, 1:43 pm)Storx I'm not sure people with kids would prefer buses mind.

I would say with a bus it's easier to get off and back on the next one, but since it's running once a day, it's not.
But it also depends on what vehicle they're using, if it's a coach, there's toilets. If it's 6377, there's tables.

Ambassador

11 Mar 2021, 2:55 pm #113
(11 Mar 2021, 2:11 pm)streetdeckfan I would say with a bus it's easier to get off and back on the next one, but since it's running once a day, it's not.

Trains tend to stand at York for a good 5 minutes before departing. 

The bus may be more scenic but sitting in comfort speeding through to York at 125mph then a gentle 45 minute meander on one of TPEs nice new coaching stock just sounds far more relaxing. Perhaps a nice glass of wine or a beer on the way back. Just civilised!

One aspect which could be interesting here is a sell through ticket with EYMS to get you to the various Parkdean and Haven campsites (though this probably only works with a coach operation from the North East end) or block book with Britannia who own most of the large budget hotels down in Scarbados - book your budget Britainnia hotel break (get a free rabies jab and travel to Scarborough included)

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
11 Mar 2021, 2:55 pm #113

(11 Mar 2021, 2:11 pm)streetdeckfan I would say with a bus it's easier to get off and back on the next one, but since it's running once a day, it's not.

Trains tend to stand at York for a good 5 minutes before departing. 

The bus may be more scenic but sitting in comfort speeding through to York at 125mph then a gentle 45 minute meander on one of TPEs nice new coaching stock just sounds far more relaxing. Perhaps a nice glass of wine or a beer on the way back. Just civilised!

One aspect which could be interesting here is a sell through ticket with EYMS to get you to the various Parkdean and Haven campsites (though this probably only works with a coach operation from the North East end) or block book with Britannia who own most of the large budget hotels down in Scarbados - book your budget Britainnia hotel break (get a free rabies jab and travel to Scarborough included)

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

11 Mar 2021, 3:10 pm #114
(11 Mar 2021, 2:55 pm)Ambassador Trains tend to stand at York for a good 5 minutes before departing. 

It's a bit of a stretch calling a Britannia a hotel!

I don't really find trains that comfortable, they're too floaty for my liking! As for having a glass of wine or beer, being on a bus never stopped anyone on the X21! Some absolute tramps came over to my table, took my empty coffee cup and attempted to pour a bottle of Lambrini in it!
streetdeckfan
11 Mar 2021, 3:10 pm #114

(11 Mar 2021, 2:55 pm)Ambassador Trains tend to stand at York for a good 5 minutes before departing. 

It's a bit of a stretch calling a Britannia a hotel!

I don't really find trains that comfortable, they're too floaty for my liking! As for having a glass of wine or beer, being on a bus never stopped anyone on the X21! Some absolute tramps came over to my table, took my empty coffee cup and attempted to pour a bottle of Lambrini in it!

Storx

11 Mar 2021, 5:19 pm #115

You'll never have both though Tongue. Mind I can't see many families using it anyway tbh. You'd have to be pretty mad to think it's a good idea to do a 6 hour round trip via public transport to Scarborough to go to a beach when you can travel via bus or Metro to Seaburn, Seaton Carew, Redcar, Sandburn, Whitley Bay, Tynemouth, South Shields, Seaham and get pretty much the same thing in under an hour from anywhere in the North East.

Makes sense from York and Leeds, not so much from here. Then you have the problem with people wanting to stay over not having a return journey unless you sit around all the day with cases waiting for a bus until 4pm / 5pm after being kicked out your accommodation at 10am or you can pay the extra £5 or whatever it'll be and just get an explorer and change at Boro.

Can see this being mostly pensioners personally and adults who can't / don't want to drive going out for the day, no doubt mostly to Whitby rather than Scarborough.

One journey I could see being very popular though (but it'll be full of arseholes) is a Scarborough OAT special service which times you to get down at around 5pm then returns at 11:30pm but have it at a premium price.
Storx
11 Mar 2021, 5:19 pm #115

You'll never have both though Tongue. Mind I can't see many families using it anyway tbh. You'd have to be pretty mad to think it's a good idea to do a 6 hour round trip via public transport to Scarborough to go to a beach when you can travel via bus or Metro to Seaburn, Seaton Carew, Redcar, Sandburn, Whitley Bay, Tynemouth, South Shields, Seaham and get pretty much the same thing in under an hour from anywhere in the North East.

Makes sense from York and Leeds, not so much from here. Then you have the problem with people wanting to stay over not having a return journey unless you sit around all the day with cases waiting for a bus until 4pm / 5pm after being kicked out your accommodation at 10am or you can pay the extra £5 or whatever it'll be and just get an explorer and change at Boro.

Can see this being mostly pensioners personally and adults who can't / don't want to drive going out for the day, no doubt mostly to Whitby rather than Scarborough.

One journey I could see being very popular though (but it'll be full of arseholes) is a Scarborough OAT special service which times you to get down at around 5pm then returns at 11:30pm but have it at a premium price.

11 Mar 2021, 5:36 pm #116
(11 Mar 2021, 5:19 pm)Storx You'll never have both though Tongue. Mind I can't see many families using it anyway tbh. You'd have to be pretty mad to think it's a good idea to do a 6 hour round trip via public transport to Scarborough to go to a beach when you can travel via bus or Metro to Seaburn, Seaton Carew, Redcar, Sandburn, Whitley Bay, Tynemouth, South Shields, Seaham and get pretty much the same thing in under an hour from anywhere in the North East.

Exactly, like I said further up, Whitby and Scarborough are nice, but they're not 6 hours on a bus nice.
streetdeckfan
11 Mar 2021, 5:36 pm #116

(11 Mar 2021, 5:19 pm)Storx You'll never have both though Tongue. Mind I can't see many families using it anyway tbh. You'd have to be pretty mad to think it's a good idea to do a 6 hour round trip via public transport to Scarborough to go to a beach when you can travel via bus or Metro to Seaburn, Seaton Carew, Redcar, Sandburn, Whitley Bay, Tynemouth, South Shields, Seaham and get pretty much the same thing in under an hour from anywhere in the North East.

Exactly, like I said further up, Whitby and Scarborough are nice, but they're not 6 hours on a bus nice.

col87

12 Mar 2021, 6:54 pm #117
I agree with some of the comments here. I don’t think it’s going to work coming all the way from Newcastle especially when they have similar seaside places in South Shields and Whitley Bay nearby or if they wanted a bit further Seaton Carew and Redcar can be reached a lot quicker by train.

If they where not so stubborn refusing to serve Hartlepool then the X11 From Peterlee Hartlepool and Billingham would probably work a lot better.
col87
12 Mar 2021, 6:54 pm #117

I agree with some of the comments here. I don’t think it’s going to work coming all the way from Newcastle especially when they have similar seaside places in South Shields and Whitley Bay nearby or if they wanted a bit further Seaton Carew and Redcar can be reached a lot quicker by train.

If they where not so stubborn refusing to serve Hartlepool then the X11 From Peterlee Hartlepool and Billingham would probably work a lot better.

12 Mar 2021, 9:25 pm #118
(12 Mar 2021, 6:54 pm)col87 I agree with some of the comments here.  I don’t think it’s going to work coming all the way from Newcastle especially when they have similar seaside places in South Shields and Whitley Bay nearby or if they wanted a bit further Seaton Carew and Redcar can be reached a lot quicker by train. 

If there was demand for this, wouldnt stagecoach have tried a service.  Especially concidering their operational area means people could avoid train changes travelling from stations north of boro.

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/
ASX_Terranova
12 Mar 2021, 9:25 pm #118

(12 Mar 2021, 6:54 pm)col87 I agree with some of the comments here.  I don’t think it’s going to work coming all the way from Newcastle especially when they have similar seaside places in South Shields and Whitley Bay nearby or if they wanted a bit further Seaton Carew and Redcar can be reached a lot quicker by train. 

If there was demand for this, wouldnt stagecoach have tried a service.  Especially concidering their operational area means people could avoid train changes travelling from stations north of boro.

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/

col87

13 Mar 2021, 12:05 am #119
(12 Mar 2021, 9:25 pm)ASX_Terranova If there was demand for this, wouldnt stagecoach have tried a service.  Especially concidering their operational area means people could avoid train changes travelling from stations north of boro.
Stagecoach did use to when they still had the Hartlepool Transport coaching unit they regularly did day trips to Whitby and Scarborough.  It was only Stagecoach cost cutting at Hartlepool Depot that they ended so demand is here but no one is willing to try it.  

What demand is they exactly for a service from Newcastle to Scarborough.
col87
13 Mar 2021, 12:05 am #119

(12 Mar 2021, 9:25 pm)ASX_Terranova If there was demand for this, wouldnt stagecoach have tried a service.  Especially concidering their operational area means people could avoid train changes travelling from stations north of boro.
Stagecoach did use to when they still had the Hartlepool Transport coaching unit they regularly did day trips to Whitby and Scarborough.  It was only Stagecoach cost cutting at Hartlepool Depot that they ended so demand is here but no one is willing to try it.  

What demand is they exactly for a service from Newcastle to Scarborough.

13 Mar 2021, 12:28 am #120
I'm sure there's plenty of demand from Newcastle for people wanting to go to Whitby and Scarborough. TBH those places have a lot more to offer then the Coastal resorts around here at least.

And from past experience when Arriva ran the service it was pretty full. Caught it from Whitby to Boro once and was lucky to get a seat (on a Urban 90 Lowlander).

As for pensioner passes, if the bus departs Newcastle before 9am, they would have to pay anyway Monday to Friday.

Plus I'm sure groups of young people might use it to go to Scarborough (or Whitby for the Goth Festival) for the weekend. In some cases involving the consumption of a lot of alcohol.

Sometimes people don't like driving long distances, and drivers may not like driving to places like Whitby and Scarborough due to the way the roads are (not that I'm one of those).

We just have to wait and see, people were skeptical about the Toon Tour when it was launched, and despite an absence last year for obvious reasons, though the open toppers didn't sit around idle. It has returned again for 2021.

There is no harm in Go North East trying something new rather than doing nothing because people were being negative about it. Because if GNE didn't try new ideas people (or enthusiasts mainly) will be constantly asking the question "What if?"

Rapidsnap
13 Mar 2021, 12:28 am #120

I'm sure there's plenty of demand from Newcastle for people wanting to go to Whitby and Scarborough. TBH those places have a lot more to offer then the Coastal resorts around here at least.

And from past experience when Arriva ran the service it was pretty full. Caught it from Whitby to Boro once and was lucky to get a seat (on a Urban 90 Lowlander).

As for pensioner passes, if the bus departs Newcastle before 9am, they would have to pay anyway Monday to Friday.

Plus I'm sure groups of young people might use it to go to Scarborough (or Whitby for the Goth Festival) for the weekend. In some cases involving the consumption of a lot of alcohol.

Sometimes people don't like driving long distances, and drivers may not like driving to places like Whitby and Scarborough due to the way the roads are (not that I'm one of those).

We just have to wait and see, people were skeptical about the Toon Tour when it was launched, and despite an absence last year for obvious reasons, though the open toppers didn't sit around idle. It has returned again for 2021.

There is no harm in Go North East trying something new rather than doing nothing because people were being negative about it. Because if GNE didn't try new ideas people (or enthusiasts mainly) will be constantly asking the question "What if?"

Pages (28) Previous 15 6 728 Next

• 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average