Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East MG’s live Facebook updates

MG’s live Facebook updates

MG’s live Facebook updates

• 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average

Pages (7) Previous 14 5 6 7 Next
26 Jan 2022, 2:33 pm #81
(26 Jan 2022, 11:05 am)Storx Honestly, I'm not sure it is. The tenders out now are much better than what was being proposed imo. They've removed most of the short useless routes from allover pretty much now and replaced them with longer connected services creating links that people actually want.

I slag Nexus off a lot but the changes (excluding their subsidised) are mostly positive really. It seems like they've actually tried to make routes that people actually want to use rather than routes because of they've 'always been there'.

Is their still going to be a bus at Kingston Park like the 42A? , and is the Q3 getting curtailed at St Peters?

All of the services I use are getting destroyed - 42A, Q3, X84/X85. Hopefully the 74 survives.

Interested to see what the new fares will be, and hopefully they are still good. 

Might be Arriva for me in the future for North Tyneside, GNE for Gateshead and Durham.
OrangeArrow49
26 Jan 2022, 2:33 pm #81

(26 Jan 2022, 11:05 am)Storx Honestly, I'm not sure it is. The tenders out now are much better than what was being proposed imo. They've removed most of the short useless routes from allover pretty much now and replaced them with longer connected services creating links that people actually want.

I slag Nexus off a lot but the changes (excluding their subsidised) are mostly positive really. It seems like they've actually tried to make routes that people actually want to use rather than routes because of they've 'always been there'.

Is their still going to be a bus at Kingston Park like the 42A? , and is the Q3 getting curtailed at St Peters?

All of the services I use are getting destroyed - 42A, Q3, X84/X85. Hopefully the 74 survives.

Interested to see what the new fares will be, and hopefully they are still good. 

Might be Arriva for me in the future for North Tyneside, GNE for Gateshead and Durham.

Bazza

26 Jan 2022, 2:35 pm #82
(26 Jan 2022, 2:32 pm)Dan I think that's a question beyond anyone's ability on this forum to answer.

We can discuss and debate the possible reasons why, but we'll never know. Andreos regularly gives his thoughts on this subject - perhaps he's right, maybe he's wrong and it's other things at play.

Is that not the point of a forum?
Bazza
26 Jan 2022, 2:35 pm #82

(26 Jan 2022, 2:32 pm)Dan I think that's a question beyond anyone's ability on this forum to answer.

We can discuss and debate the possible reasons why, but we'll never know. Andreos regularly gives his thoughts on this subject - perhaps he's right, maybe he's wrong and it's other things at play.

Is that not the point of a forum?

Storx

26 Jan 2022, 2:59 pm #83
(26 Jan 2022, 2:26 pm)Bazza The question is why?

What was GNE doing wrong?  Does it show that all the gimmicks (Branded routes, constant rebranding,  fares, special routes, hi spec buses etc etc) made no positive difference whatsoever to the bottom line of the balance sheet? Perhaps even had the opposite effects due to the extra costs incurred.

Probably more to do with the routes imo. Arriva and Stagecoach have some very strong corridors (X10/X11/X21/X22/X15/X18/306/308/6/7/63/64/X93/1: Arriva), (1/39/40/62/63 and so on: SNE). Apart from the 20, 21, 56, 60 and X1. There's nothing that really stands out in terms of making a fortune. On the otherhand they have some very weak routes, (82/83/11/42/42A/5/26/28/29/Peterlee locals).

Not sure there's much you could really do with some of the routes realistically as there's just not the demand and over the years they've butchered the network to a level where there's literally nothing left to butcher.

It doesn't help there's the Metro / Arriva and SNE dominating most their areas neither with the routes you realistically want.

(26 Jan 2022, 2:33 pm)OrangeArrow49 Is their still going to be a bus at Kingston Park like the 42A? , and is the Q3 getting curtailed at St Peters?

I replied to the PM you sent but can't say too much. There's still services over there though.
Storx
26 Jan 2022, 2:59 pm #83

(26 Jan 2022, 2:26 pm)Bazza The question is why?

What was GNE doing wrong?  Does it show that all the gimmicks (Branded routes, constant rebranding,  fares, special routes, hi spec buses etc etc) made no positive difference whatsoever to the bottom line of the balance sheet? Perhaps even had the opposite effects due to the extra costs incurred.

Probably more to do with the routes imo. Arriva and Stagecoach have some very strong corridors (X10/X11/X21/X22/X15/X18/306/308/6/7/63/64/X93/1: Arriva), (1/39/40/62/63 and so on: SNE). Apart from the 20, 21, 56, 60 and X1. There's nothing that really stands out in terms of making a fortune. On the otherhand they have some very weak routes, (82/83/11/42/42A/5/26/28/29/Peterlee locals).

Not sure there's much you could really do with some of the routes realistically as there's just not the demand and over the years they've butchered the network to a level where there's literally nothing left to butcher.

It doesn't help there's the Metro / Arriva and SNE dominating most their areas neither with the routes you realistically want.

(26 Jan 2022, 2:33 pm)OrangeArrow49 Is their still going to be a bus at Kingston Park like the 42A? , and is the Q3 getting curtailed at St Peters?

I replied to the PM you sent but can't say too much. There's still services over there though.

Thomas12

26 Jan 2022, 3:07 pm #84
(26 Jan 2022, 2:22 pm)DaveFromUpNorth Battlehill does have a good pick up usage however getting rid of 41 and 41A through Battlehill or removing the service altogether would be criminal as that is the only link to Wallsend even if the evening services are currently contracted  as a secure service and often fails to operate the service.

A few older residents  need this service for access to Wallsend, the service allows staff to go to work at the many care homes dotted around the route.

You also have to think in 2022 there is a new urgent care centre being opened in Wallsend and this current service provides a major link from Hadrian Park Battlehill High Farm.

There current 553 although goes to Battlehill doesn't actually operate past Lidl and the shops  a quick drive past the shops to the Buzz Bingo and back and battlehill drive could create more passengers for a nexus secured contract  wether its for Bingo, B and Q Smyths toy shop before heading back along Battlehill you then create a link to Wallsend.

It also means you can get off say the 306 309 310 311 and not move bus stops to get a link to Freeman Hospital etc . . .

Another poster mentioned that the 41 will be remaining Wallsend-Hadrian Park only, I assume commercially, but operating via Wiltshire Drive.
Thomas12
26 Jan 2022, 3:07 pm #84

(26 Jan 2022, 2:22 pm)DaveFromUpNorth Battlehill does have a good pick up usage however getting rid of 41 and 41A through Battlehill or removing the service altogether would be criminal as that is the only link to Wallsend even if the evening services are currently contracted  as a secure service and often fails to operate the service.

A few older residents  need this service for access to Wallsend, the service allows staff to go to work at the many care homes dotted around the route.

You also have to think in 2022 there is a new urgent care centre being opened in Wallsend and this current service provides a major link from Hadrian Park Battlehill High Farm.

There current 553 although goes to Battlehill doesn't actually operate past Lidl and the shops  a quick drive past the shops to the Buzz Bingo and back and battlehill drive could create more passengers for a nexus secured contract  wether its for Bingo, B and Q Smyths toy shop before heading back along Battlehill you then create a link to Wallsend.

It also means you can get off say the 306 309 310 311 and not move bus stops to get a link to Freeman Hospital etc . . .

Another poster mentioned that the 41 will be remaining Wallsend-Hadrian Park only, I assume commercially, but operating via Wiltshire Drive.

26 Jan 2022, 3:13 pm #85
(26 Jan 2022, 2:59 pm)Storx Probably more to do with the routes imo. Arriva and Stagecoach have some very strong corridors (X10/X11/X21/X22/X15/X18/306/308/6/7/63/64/X93/1: Arriva), (1/39/40/62/63 and so on: SNE). Apart from the 20, 21, 56, 60 and X1. There's nothing that really stands out in terms of making a fortune. On the otherhand they have some very weak routes, (82/83/11/42/42A/5/26/28/29/Peterlee locals).

Doesn't look good for GNE. They have unique territory with Gateshead and Durham for the most part, but don't compete well in Newcastle or North Tyneside (or even Northumberland). Constantly making changes means they don't have an established network in the same way as the other bus operators do. 

Hopefully all these new tenders will open up opportunities for independent operators (if Gateshead Central Taxis don't get them all). Might have to walk more with the reduction of the 684 if there is a specific time I need to be somewhere, with a 3-hourly 74 and hourly 684 to work around. For North Tyneside Arriva looks very much my future, after 16 years of not using them. Expect they will get the 42/42A routes merged into their services.
OrangeArrow49
26 Jan 2022, 3:13 pm #85

(26 Jan 2022, 2:59 pm)Storx Probably more to do with the routes imo. Arriva and Stagecoach have some very strong corridors (X10/X11/X21/X22/X15/X18/306/308/6/7/63/64/X93/1: Arriva), (1/39/40/62/63 and so on: SNE). Apart from the 20, 21, 56, 60 and X1. There's nothing that really stands out in terms of making a fortune. On the otherhand they have some very weak routes, (82/83/11/42/42A/5/26/28/29/Peterlee locals).

Doesn't look good for GNE. They have unique territory with Gateshead and Durham for the most part, but don't compete well in Newcastle or North Tyneside (or even Northumberland). Constantly making changes means they don't have an established network in the same way as the other bus operators do. 

Hopefully all these new tenders will open up opportunities for independent operators (if Gateshead Central Taxis don't get them all). Might have to walk more with the reduction of the 684 if there is a specific time I need to be somewhere, with a 3-hourly 74 and hourly 684 to work around. For North Tyneside Arriva looks very much my future, after 16 years of not using them. Expect they will get the 42/42A routes merged into their services.

Bazza

26 Jan 2022, 3:35 pm #86

ANE and Stagecoach have kept there routes more or less stable.   It has been mentioned that Arriva have made cuts, but these have been frequency reductions rather than routes being curtailed, diverted or stopped.  it seems like GNE chop and change very quickly. How many different brands have there been in the last few years?
Bazza
26 Jan 2022, 3:35 pm #86

ANE and Stagecoach have kept there routes more or less stable.   It has been mentioned that Arriva have made cuts, but these have been frequency reductions rather than routes being curtailed, diverted or stopped.  it seems like GNE chop and change very quickly. How many different brands have there been in the last few years?

Storx

26 Jan 2022, 3:55 pm #87
(26 Jan 2022, 3:35 pm)Bazza ANE and Stagecoach have kept there routes more or less stable.   It has been mentioned that Arriva have made cuts, but these have been frequency reductions rather than routes being curtailed, diverted or stopped.  it seems like GNE chop and change very quickly. How many different brands have there been in the last few years?

Yeah totally agreed and it helps imo as it means people know what they're getting but with some tweaks here and there to help people get around; 22 to Cobalt for example. Obvious some would say they're stuck in a network from 10 year ago which is probably true aswell and don't go where they want to go but it's a risk changing things as if it goes wrong then people won't be too keen to return.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in County Durham if similar cuts are made as the council down there aren't as open as subsidising things as Nexus are in general.
Storx
26 Jan 2022, 3:55 pm #87

(26 Jan 2022, 3:35 pm)Bazza ANE and Stagecoach have kept there routes more or less stable.   It has been mentioned that Arriva have made cuts, but these have been frequency reductions rather than routes being curtailed, diverted or stopped.  it seems like GNE chop and change very quickly. How many different brands have there been in the last few years?

Yeah totally agreed and it helps imo as it means people know what they're getting but with some tweaks here and there to help people get around; 22 to Cobalt for example. Obvious some would say they're stuck in a network from 10 year ago which is probably true aswell and don't go where they want to go but it's a risk changing things as if it goes wrong then people won't be too keen to return.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in County Durham if similar cuts are made as the council down there aren't as open as subsidising things as Nexus are in general.

Omega54

26 Jan 2022, 5:43 pm #88
Stagecoach South Shields also have some good loadings, granted that it is a day time, pretty much falls apart in the evening. 

X20,55 can get some good loads, mainly with Doxford Park & Colleges's X20 - Durham, New College, Sunderland. - It does get quite busy. 

Really the only part of the North East that GNE really have control of is Newcastle going to Consett/Hexham down to Durham-Easington area. 

As you have highlighted the 60/56 while they may be popular I thought they would have had new buses (60/56), they could have easily been used for the less popular 57. 

I thought GNE were bigger than they were, but they are just shrinking really, yes the 21 extension to brandon, X21 to West Auckland may have worked but then they cut the 208, and gave up around Peterlee and just let the 22/23/24 take over. (granted these aren't as popular as they used to be, but are used a lot by kids from EDC). Whereas I wouldn't say bar the 32/32A SNE don't have many weak routes SC have very intercity routes, with not many terminating, where as GNE are long distance into the city from places 1 hour etc away. GNE could create routes to combat ANE, from Newcastle - Middlesbrough Via Durham. Newcastle - Durham part would be especially busy. As traviling on the 21 past Durham, to Brandon it does get busier, and less are on Arriva, but then you see arriva bus at Durham leaving for Brandon at like 20:00, full and there's the issue. 

If GNE are going to do the same thing as Oxford, might be worth just splitting it up into. 
Stagecoach will run west of Newcastle/Arriva North/East 
GNE run south of Newcastle + hexham/Wallsend etc.
Omega54
26 Jan 2022, 5:43 pm #88

Stagecoach South Shields also have some good loadings, granted that it is a day time, pretty much falls apart in the evening. 

X20,55 can get some good loads, mainly with Doxford Park & Colleges's X20 - Durham, New College, Sunderland. - It does get quite busy. 

Really the only part of the North East that GNE really have control of is Newcastle going to Consett/Hexham down to Durham-Easington area. 

As you have highlighted the 60/56 while they may be popular I thought they would have had new buses (60/56), they could have easily been used for the less popular 57. 

I thought GNE were bigger than they were, but they are just shrinking really, yes the 21 extension to brandon, X21 to West Auckland may have worked but then they cut the 208, and gave up around Peterlee and just let the 22/23/24 take over. (granted these aren't as popular as they used to be, but are used a lot by kids from EDC). Whereas I wouldn't say bar the 32/32A SNE don't have many weak routes SC have very intercity routes, with not many terminating, where as GNE are long distance into the city from places 1 hour etc away. GNE could create routes to combat ANE, from Newcastle - Middlesbrough Via Durham. Newcastle - Durham part would be especially busy. As traviling on the 21 past Durham, to Brandon it does get busier, and less are on Arriva, but then you see arriva bus at Durham leaving for Brandon at like 20:00, full and there's the issue. 

If GNE are going to do the same thing as Oxford, might be worth just splitting it up into. 
Stagecoach will run west of Newcastle/Arriva North/East 
GNE run south of Newcastle + hexham/Wallsend etc.

Andreos1

26 Jan 2022, 5:44 pm #89
(26 Jan 2022, 3:55 pm)Storx Yeah totally agreed and it helps imo as it means people know what they're getting but with some tweaks here and there to help people get around; 22 to Cobalt for example. Obvious some would say they're stuck in a network from 10 year ago which is probably true aswell and don't go where they want to go but it's a risk changing things as if it goes wrong then people won't be too keen to return.

I think the SNE network works as it does, cos it doesn't take someone an hour plus to get to work or the shops. 
They can get from a - b pretty easily.

Using Newcastle as an example. 
Newburn to Quorum. 
Killingworth to the Business Park... You get the gist.

The footprint of the network is pretty small vs ANE or GNE and if someone does need to change buses, they're not sitting there for the best part of an hour on the first leg.

It's stable because it works.

However, when you compare it to Shields, Sunderland and Hartlepool, I'm not sure I am of the same opinion.

I've kept quiet on these rumoured changes on purpose. It's well documented what I think GNE do and don't need to do. They're seemingly sticking with the slashing method and I'm not convinced it's the right method.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
26 Jan 2022, 5:44 pm #89

(26 Jan 2022, 3:55 pm)Storx Yeah totally agreed and it helps imo as it means people know what they're getting but with some tweaks here and there to help people get around; 22 to Cobalt for example. Obvious some would say they're stuck in a network from 10 year ago which is probably true aswell and don't go where they want to go but it's a risk changing things as if it goes wrong then people won't be too keen to return.

I think the SNE network works as it does, cos it doesn't take someone an hour plus to get to work or the shops. 

Newburn to Quorum. 

The footprint of the network is pretty small vs ANE or GNE and if someone does need to change buses, they're not sitting there for the best part of an hour on the first leg.

However, when you compare it to Shields, Sunderland and Hartlepool, I'm not sure I am of the same opinion.

I've kept quiet on these rumoured changes on purpose. It's well documented what I think GNE do and don't need to do. They're seemingly sticking with the slashing method and I'm not convinced it's the right method.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Omega54

26 Jan 2022, 7:30 pm #90
(26 Jan 2022, 5:44 pm)Andreos1 I've kept quiet on these rumoured changes on purpose. It's well documented what I think GNE do and don't need to do. They're seemingly sticking with the slashing method and I'm not convinced it's the right method.
What do you think they should be going?
Omega54
26 Jan 2022, 7:30 pm #90

(26 Jan 2022, 5:44 pm)Andreos1 I've kept quiet on these rumoured changes on purpose. It's well documented what I think GNE do and don't need to do. They're seemingly sticking with the slashing method and I'm not convinced it's the right method.
What do you think they should be going?

26 Jan 2022, 8:13 pm #91
(26 Jan 2022, 7:41 pm)Omega54 Passengers are back at 70%, 25% of that is concessionary passes, nexus is slashing that to 5%, so realistic GNE revenue is going to drop by 20%. 

That is ridiculous.

I don't follow, Nexus are reducing the concessionary rate by 20%, so if that's 25% of GNE's revenue, then it would be 20% of 25%, so their revenue would only drop by 5%?
streetdeckfan
26 Jan 2022, 8:13 pm #91

(26 Jan 2022, 7:41 pm)Omega54 Passengers are back at 70%, 25% of that is concessionary passes, nexus is slashing that to 5%, so realistic GNE revenue is going to drop by 20%. 

That is ridiculous.

I don't follow, Nexus are reducing the concessionary rate by 20%, so if that's 25% of GNE's revenue, then it would be 20% of 25%, so their revenue would only drop by 5%?

Dan

Site Administrator

26 Jan 2022, 8:20 pm #92
(26 Jan 2022, 8:13 pm)streetdeckfan I don't follow, Nexus are reducing the concessionary rate by 20%, so if that's 25% of GNE's revenue, then it would be 20% of 25%, so their revenue would only drop by 5%?

That’s still a hefty percentage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
26 Jan 2022, 8:20 pm #92

(26 Jan 2022, 8:13 pm)streetdeckfan I don't follow, Nexus are reducing the concessionary rate by 20%, so if that's 25% of GNE's revenue, then it would be 20% of 25%, so their revenue would only drop by 5%?

That’s still a hefty percentage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omega54

26 Jan 2022, 8:23 pm #93
Oh sorry, I withdraw my comment, I thought he meant reducing it by 20% to 5%, 5% is still a massive percentage. 

Company make 50 million (pre pandemic), 2022, 70% which is 35 million, drop that by 5%, now down to 30 million.
Omega54
26 Jan 2022, 8:23 pm #93

Oh sorry, I withdraw my comment, I thought he meant reducing it by 20% to 5%, 5% is still a massive percentage. 

Company make 50 million (pre pandemic), 2022, 70% which is 35 million, drop that by 5%, now down to 30 million.

Malarkey

26 Jan 2022, 8:35 pm #94
(26 Jan 2022, 7:30 pm)Omega54 What do you think they should be going?

For me consolidation is key at this point which and the only way of achieving that is merging certain services together to make one route or by eliminating competition on shared corridors such as the Coast Road which has been mentioned numerous times.

I personally feel Go North East with everything that has gone on in the past 2 years with Covid that they kind of where they were at in 2006 before they done the major network shake up and cut the loose ends that weren't turning a profit and introduced brands to market the services, I don't think the branding aspect in the delivery of service is what is harming Go North East it's cutting and changing every few months, If they left things as they were and as the saying goes "If something isn't broke, don't fix it" then they'd find over time and i'm not talking short term but long term they'd have a more stable and reliable network of services and for me looking at their network of Services i'd say they only have a select few of these and those are their "Flagship Services" such as the Angel 21, Prince Bishops 20, City Rider 56 to name a few, whereas as had already been compared in previous posts on this thread both Stagecoach and Arriva have a higher amount of these as other than timetable tweaks for reliability and reductions in frequency over the same time period there services have barely changed. How many times have Go North East operated a 96 Service in West Gateshead to MetroCentre, cut it and merged with something else in this case the Coaster 1 as it was not turning a profit before reverting back to how it was several years later.

Looking at North Tyneside and their Percy Main operations i'd say they would better off handing the contracts for services 1/11/19 & 41/42/42A over to Stagecoach as they could easily merge together with their own core and very well established services at Wallsend which may well happen as part of BSIP or Enhanced Partnership, I also feel this would be of benefit to those who live in North Tyneside as they'd be provided with better Cross-City Links without needed to change Buses at Wallsend for example.

Elsewhere how many times has the Washington Mini Bus Ops been changed, is it still Simply Washington, Washington Street Shuttle, Indigo or Links Pinks, it's had that many changes even i'm getting lost as to whether it is 2022 or if i've time travelled back to 2006, the Venture Network in Stanley and Consett and the 33 in Sunderland are other examples I can think of straight off the top of my head, the developing pattern here has been established that as an Operator when it comes to services changes the same mistakes are made time and time again at Go North East, for me whoever makes those decisions really should be held accountable as they have played a major role the damage to the network we see today.
Malarkey
26 Jan 2022, 8:35 pm #94

(26 Jan 2022, 7:30 pm)Omega54 What do you think they should be going?

For me consolidation is key at this point which and the only way of achieving that is merging certain services together to make one route or by eliminating competition on shared corridors such as the Coast Road which has been mentioned numerous times.

I personally feel Go North East with everything that has gone on in the past 2 years with Covid that they kind of where they were at in 2006 before they done the major network shake up and cut the loose ends that weren't turning a profit and introduced brands to market the services, I don't think the branding aspect in the delivery of service is what is harming Go North East it's cutting and changing every few months, If they left things as they were and as the saying goes "If something isn't broke, don't fix it" then they'd find over time and i'm not talking short term but long term they'd have a more stable and reliable network of services and for me looking at their network of Services i'd say they only have a select few of these and those are their "Flagship Services" such as the Angel 21, Prince Bishops 20, City Rider 56 to name a few, whereas as had already been compared in previous posts on this thread both Stagecoach and Arriva have a higher amount of these as other than timetable tweaks for reliability and reductions in frequency over the same time period there services have barely changed. How many times have Go North East operated a 96 Service in West Gateshead to MetroCentre, cut it and merged with something else in this case the Coaster 1 as it was not turning a profit before reverting back to how it was several years later.

Looking at North Tyneside and their Percy Main operations i'd say they would better off handing the contracts for services 1/11/19 & 41/42/42A over to Stagecoach as they could easily merge together with their own core and very well established services at Wallsend which may well happen as part of BSIP or Enhanced Partnership, I also feel this would be of benefit to those who live in North Tyneside as they'd be provided with better Cross-City Links without needed to change Buses at Wallsend for example.

Elsewhere how many times has the Washington Mini Bus Ops been changed, is it still Simply Washington, Washington Street Shuttle, Indigo or Links Pinks, it's had that many changes even i'm getting lost as to whether it is 2022 or if i've time travelled back to 2006, the Venture Network in Stanley and Consett and the 33 in Sunderland are other examples I can think of straight off the top of my head, the developing pattern here has been established that as an Operator when it comes to services changes the same mistakes are made time and time again at Go North East, for me whoever makes those decisions really should be held accountable as they have played a major role the damage to the network we see today.

busmanT

26 Jan 2022, 8:40 pm #95
(26 Jan 2022, 8:23 pm)Omega54 Oh sorry, I withdraw my comment, I thought he meant reducing it by 20% to 5%, 5% is still a massive percentage. 

Which company made 50 million what pre pandemic?

Go North East published accounts show a profit for the year ended 30 June 2019 of £2.85 million.
busmanT
26 Jan 2022, 8:40 pm #95

(26 Jan 2022, 8:23 pm)Omega54 Oh sorry, I withdraw my comment, I thought he meant reducing it by 20% to 5%, 5% is still a massive percentage. 

Which company made 50 million what pre pandemic?

Go North East published accounts show a profit for the year ended 30 June 2019 of £2.85 million.

L469 YVK

26 Jan 2022, 8:50 pm #96
The Coast Road is a funny one. Whilst the 306/308 have been stable, GNE have seriously upped their game on the 309/310/311 since 2013 and certainly 2016 onwards.

If anything other than minor changes, I see no reductions to the 309/310/311 as at most, a PVR of 3x would be saved unless GNE made very deep cuts. And given Arriva's potential circmstances (Jesmond Depot) and the need to review and streamline things, GNE would be wise to take advantage of that unless BSIP actually comes in.
L469 YVK
26 Jan 2022, 8:50 pm #96

The Coast Road is a funny one. Whilst the 306/308 have been stable, GNE have seriously upped their game on the 309/310/311 since 2013 and certainly 2016 onwards.

If anything other than minor changes, I see no reductions to the 309/310/311 as at most, a PVR of 3x would be saved unless GNE made very deep cuts. And given Arriva's potential circmstances (Jesmond Depot) and the need to review and streamline things, GNE would be wise to take advantage of that unless BSIP actually comes in.

Omega54

26 Jan 2022, 9:01 pm #97
(26 Jan 2022, 8:40 pm)busmanT Which company made 50 million what pre pandemic?

It was purely a example.

(26 Jan 2022, 8:35 pm)Malarkey Elsewhere how many times has the Washington Mini Bus Ops been changed, is it still Simply Washington, Washington Street Shuttle, Indigo or Links Pinks, it's had that many changes even i'm getting lost as to whether it is 2022 or if i've time travelled back to 2006, the Venture Network in Stanley and Consett and the 33 in Sunderland are other examples I can think of straight off the top of my head, the developing pattern here has been established that as an Operator when it comes to services changes the same mistakes are made time and time again at Go North East, for me whoever makes those decisions really should be held accountable as they have played a major role the damage to the network we see today.
In fairness the 33, is very busy most times. Well whenever I see, I do believe that does turn a profit. 

And for me I was going to ask earlier what do people think GNE FlagShip servcies are I could only really think of a few, X10/21/20/60/X1 - and the X10/X9 is not what is was. I think the coaches did more harm than good.

While the Xlines X45/46/70/71/72 etc are the most high spec I wouldn't really call them the flagship routes, even though I think that is what GNE had in mind.
Edited 26 Jan 2022, 9:04 pm by Omega54.
Omega54
26 Jan 2022, 9:01 pm #97

(26 Jan 2022, 8:40 pm)busmanT Which company made 50 million what pre pandemic?

It was purely a example.

(26 Jan 2022, 8:35 pm)Malarkey Elsewhere how many times has the Washington Mini Bus Ops been changed, is it still Simply Washington, Washington Street Shuttle, Indigo or Links Pinks, it's had that many changes even i'm getting lost as to whether it is 2022 or if i've time travelled back to 2006, the Venture Network in Stanley and Consett and the 33 in Sunderland are other examples I can think of straight off the top of my head, the developing pattern here has been established that as an Operator when it comes to services changes the same mistakes are made time and time again at Go North East, for me whoever makes those decisions really should be held accountable as they have played a major role the damage to the network we see today.
In fairness the 33, is very busy most times. Well whenever I see, I do believe that does turn a profit. 

And for me I was going to ask earlier what do people think GNE FlagShip servcies are I could only really think of a few, X10/21/20/60/X1 - and the X10/X9 is not what is was. I think the coaches did more harm than good.

While the Xlines X45/46/70/71/72 etc are the most high spec I wouldn't really call them the flagship routes, even though I think that is what GNE had in mind.

RobinHood

26 Jan 2022, 9:05 pm #98
(26 Jan 2022, 8:50 pm)L469 YVK The Coast Road is a funny one. Whilst the 306/308 have been stable, GNE have seriously upped their game on the 309/310/311 since 2013 and certainly 2016 onwards.

If anything other than minor changes, I see no reductions to the 309/310/311 as  at most, a PVR of 3x would be saved unless GNE made very deep cuts. And given Arriva's potential circmstances (Jesmond Depot) and the need to review and streamline things, GNE would be wise to take advantage of that unless BSIP actually comes in.
The EP will sort the Coast Road. It will be rationalised I suspect by the summer.

Unfortunately Qualifying Agreements aren't quick though, as you need to tick quite a few legal boxes.

Operators will be focused on sorting their immediate financial concerns first I suspect.
RobinHood
26 Jan 2022, 9:05 pm #98

(26 Jan 2022, 8:50 pm)L469 YVK The Coast Road is a funny one. Whilst the 306/308 have been stable, GNE have seriously upped their game on the 309/310/311 since 2013 and certainly 2016 onwards.

If anything other than minor changes, I see no reductions to the 309/310/311 as  at most, a PVR of 3x would be saved unless GNE made very deep cuts. And given Arriva's potential circmstances (Jesmond Depot) and the need to review and streamline things, GNE would be wise to take advantage of that unless BSIP actually comes in.
The EP will sort the Coast Road. It will be rationalised I suspect by the summer.

Unfortunately Qualifying Agreements aren't quick though, as you need to tick quite a few legal boxes.

Operators will be focused on sorting their immediate financial concerns first I suspect.

Storx

26 Jan 2022, 9:07 pm #99
(26 Jan 2022, 5:44 pm)Andreos1 I think the SNE network works as it does, cos it doesn't take someone an hour plus to get to work or the shops. 

Newburn to Quorum. 

Aye totally get what your saying and honestly don't disagree about it tbh.

Revenue: 150m
Costs: 140m
Profit: 10m

Reduction by 20%

Revenue: 120m
Loss: 20m

Just saying Smile

(26 Jan 2022, 8:50 pm)L469 YVK The Coast Road is a funny one. Whilst the 306/308 have been stable, GNE have seriously upped their game on the 309/310/311 since 2013 and certainly 2016 onwards.

But why should they 'take advantage of it'. It's a horrible selfish attitude and it's partly the reason they're in the mess they are anyway. Just because you use the 311, those buses shouldn't be there to be frankly honest. They offer nothing bar petty competition. The sad thing is if Arriva did do streamlining, it'll be some other community, somewhere like Amble because it happens to be in the middle of nowhere getting the brunt of it but you won't care as it's not your area.

GoNorthEast don't have a network in North Tyneside anymore. The 1 during the day only, the 41 Monday - Friday during the day only and a few routes along a horribly congested road competing against someone else isn't a network. If GNE wasn't there, you could make the argument Arriva would make more profit and could potentially attempt to make some of the local routes commercial like the 11 in particular.

I might be being brutal but there's no need for GoNorthEast anymore, you could get arid of the 309 tomorrow and there'd be a very very small minority who would be affected similar with the 311 if the 310 served Hadrian Park all day.
Storx
26 Jan 2022, 9:07 pm #99

(26 Jan 2022, 5:44 pm)Andreos1 I think the SNE network works as it does, cos it doesn't take someone an hour plus to get to work or the shops. 

Newburn to Quorum. 

Aye totally get what your saying and honestly don't disagree about it tbh.

Revenue: 150m
Profit: 10m

Reduction by 20%

Revenue: 120m
Loss: 20m

Just saying Smile

(26 Jan 2022, 8:50 pm)L469 YVK The Coast Road is a funny one. Whilst the 306/308 have been stable, GNE have seriously upped their game on the 309/310/311 since 2013 and certainly 2016 onwards.

But why should they 'take advantage of it'. It's a horrible selfish attitude and it's partly the reason they're in the mess they are anyway. Just because you use the 311, those buses shouldn't be there to be frankly honest. They offer nothing bar petty competition. The sad thing is if Arriva did do streamlining, it'll be some other community, somewhere like Amble because it happens to be in the middle of nowhere getting the brunt of it but you won't care as it's not your area.

GoNorthEast don't have a network in North Tyneside anymore. The 1 during the day only, the 41 Monday - Friday during the day only and a few routes along a horribly congested road competing against someone else isn't a network. If GNE wasn't there, you could make the argument Arriva would make more profit and could potentially attempt to make some of the local routes commercial like the 11 in particular.

I might be being brutal but there's no need for GoNorthEast anymore, you could get arid of the 309 tomorrow and there'd be a very very small minority who would be affected similar with the 311 if the 310 served Hadrian Park all day.

L469 YVK

26 Jan 2022, 9:17 pm #100
(26 Jan 2022, 9:05 pm)RobinHood The EP will sort the Coast Road. It will be rationalised I suspect by the summer.

To be honest, Arriva & GNE jointly operating the 308 & 309 (as they did with the 308 before 2008) would be the ideal scenario with a combined frequency along common sections of routes.
L469 YVK
26 Jan 2022, 9:17 pm #100

(26 Jan 2022, 9:05 pm)RobinHood The EP will sort the Coast Road. It will be rationalised I suspect by the summer.

To be honest, Arriva & GNE jointly operating the 308 & 309 (as they did with the 308 before 2008) would be the ideal scenario with a combined frequency along common sections of routes.

Pages (7) Previous 14 5 6 7 Next

• 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average