Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Vintage buses on B1 and Toontour

Vintage buses on B1 and Toontour

Vintage buses on B1 and Toontour

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (3) Previous 1 2 3 Next
Andreos1

28 May 2021, 7:38 pm #21
(28 May 2021, 7:03 pm)Charles41 If it's well promoted then it could be a winning formula. Good to see proactive thinking from Go North East.

Question is will the public be able to get a seat or will they all be taken by excitable enthusiasts? 

Charles

Call me a cynic, but isn't that what all of the tweets and sycophanctic likes & rt's are for?
Unless you're in a wheelchair. Then who knows what happens. 

It's the press releases that get the public excited or interested. 
Half arsed PR jobs that don't actually tell the ordinary punter that they can (or can't) go for a day out don't achieve anything other than enthusiast froth.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
28 May 2021, 7:38 pm #21

(28 May 2021, 7:03 pm)Charles41 If it's well promoted then it could be a winning formula. Good to see proactive thinking from Go North East.

Question is will the public be able to get a seat or will they all be taken by excitable enthusiasts? 

Charles

Call me a cynic, but isn't that what all of the tweets and sycophanctic likes & rt's are for?

Half arsed PR jobs that don't actually tell the ordinary punter that they can (or can't) go for a day out don't achieve anything other than enthusiast froth.

Adrian

28 May 2021, 7:44 pm #22
(28 May 2021, 7:38 pm)Andreos1 Call me a cynic, but isn't that what all of the tweets and sycophanctic likes & rt's are for?

I did ask the question on twitter, but seem to have been ignored. Take from that what you will.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
28 May 2021, 7:44 pm #22

(28 May 2021, 7:38 pm)Andreos1 Call me a cynic, but isn't that what all of the tweets and sycophanctic likes & rt's are for?

I did ask the question on twitter, but seem to have been ignored. Take from that what you will.

ne14ne1

28 May 2021, 8:13 pm #23
My question regarding if there would be a live guide on the routemaster wasn’t a dig, I was genuinely curious.
If I was visiting a city and got on an open top tour to find no commentary I’d want my money back. 
If however this routemaster has no live guide/announcement system but is ran as a duplicate and passengers are given the choice, then fair enough.

And re the comment about Beamish not being for the disabled, Beamish went to the lengths of adapting their vintage yellow single decker to enable wheelchairs to be loaded into the back!
ne14ne1
28 May 2021, 8:13 pm #23

My question regarding if there would be a live guide on the routemaster wasn’t a dig, I was genuinely curious.
If I was visiting a city and got on an open top tour to find no commentary I’d want my money back. 
If however this routemaster has no live guide/announcement system but is ran as a duplicate and passengers are given the choice, then fair enough.

And re the comment about Beamish not being for the disabled, Beamish went to the lengths of adapting their vintage yellow single decker to enable wheelchairs to be loaded into the back!

Andreos1

28 May 2021, 8:15 pm #24
(28 May 2021, 7:44 pm)Adrian I did ask the question on twitter, but seem to have been ignored. Take from that what you will.

But at least we all know that a vehicle may be substituted without notice.
They managed to get that in the small print.

(28 May 2021, 8:13 pm)ne14ne1 My question regarding if there would be a live guide on the routemaster wasn’t a dig, I was genuinely curious.

All valid comments/points/questions imo.
Edited 28 May 2021, 8:16 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
28 May 2021, 8:15 pm #24

(28 May 2021, 7:44 pm)Adrian I did ask the question on twitter, but seem to have been ignored. Take from that what you will.

But at least we all know that a vehicle may be substituted without notice.
They managed to get that in the small print.

(28 May 2021, 8:13 pm)ne14ne1 My question regarding if there would be a live guide on the routemaster wasn’t a dig, I was genuinely curious.

All valid comments/points/questions imo.

Jimmi

28 May 2021, 11:48 pm #25
Whilst I think it is a novel idea to try and get a few extra bums on seats and is a good PR move, the lack of clarity in regards to access requirements is somewhat concerning... whilst the B1 & ToonTour are effectively tourist services they realistically should still be meeting PSVAR laws as they were designed to prevent such inconveniences for those that require wheelchair access and the like.

Not been given much in the way of advance notice for this occurring either with only one posting on each social media account around lunchtime today for something happening tomorrow where plans may have already been made.

I doubt it will be an issue BUT if it were to be, I wonder how the situation were to be handled?

The fact these heritage buses are seen as more desirable does seem to put rose tinted spectacles on the matter, if this was an operator just checking out a 25 year old scholars Volvo Olympian for example, this would raise some questions and just be seen as pure ignorance to disabled passengers.

If the provision of low floor accessibility is provided alongside the heritage offerings then I see no issues with this and I don't mean wait half an hour for the next Toon Tour bus as some would suggest they do, just a little footnote to provide some clarity would be nice. This may be seen as cynical enthusiast twisting to many but for things like accessibility, operators should be held accountable to do things within the PSVAR requirements (I'm aware of the 20 day rule allowing the use of non complaint buses but this should be used as a last resort as opposed to a rule to exploit).
Jimmi
28 May 2021, 11:48 pm #25

Whilst I think it is a novel idea to try and get a few extra bums on seats and is a good PR move, the lack of clarity in regards to access requirements is somewhat concerning... whilst the B1 & ToonTour are effectively tourist services they realistically should still be meeting PSVAR laws as they were designed to prevent such inconveniences for those that require wheelchair access and the like.

Not been given much in the way of advance notice for this occurring either with only one posting on each social media account around lunchtime today for something happening tomorrow where plans may have already been made.

I doubt it will be an issue BUT if it were to be, I wonder how the situation were to be handled?

The fact these heritage buses are seen as more desirable does seem to put rose tinted spectacles on the matter, if this was an operator just checking out a 25 year old scholars Volvo Olympian for example, this would raise some questions and just be seen as pure ignorance to disabled passengers.

If the provision of low floor accessibility is provided alongside the heritage offerings then I see no issues with this and I don't mean wait half an hour for the next Toon Tour bus as some would suggest they do, just a little footnote to provide some clarity would be nice. This may be seen as cynical enthusiast twisting to many but for things like accessibility, operators should be held accountable to do things within the PSVAR requirements (I'm aware of the 20 day rule allowing the use of non complaint buses but this should be used as a last resort as opposed to a rule to exploit).

29 May 2021, 5:43 am #26
In answer to some of the questions here...  the Toon Tour duplicate will not have a running commentary provided by the conductor, instead passengers will be provided with a printed copy of the Toon Tour commentary to read though if they wish to do so.  The regular Toon Tour B7 will be running along side the RM providing wheelchair accommodation and the option for passengers to pay by contactless card.  

As for the B1, 8319 will be sitting at Gateshead to provide a wheelchair accessible vehicle should the need arise 

And of course this all complies with part F of the public service vehicle accessibility regulations 2000, UK statutory instrument No 1970, part II, regulation 4.  Allowing a non PSVAR compliant vehicle to be used on local bus services providing they are over 20 years old and for no more than 20 days per annum.  

A lot of work has gone into the planning of this weekend and we hope this provides a bit of excitement and fun after what has been a difficult time for all.
Attached Files
.jpeg
D0AF8375-4A5B-416E-B5E4-0A96B80DF294.jpeg
Size 3.11 MB / Downloads 60
.jpeg
56F0A433-0604-4431-B05B-59B137C503D1.jpeg
Size 1.35 MB / Downloads 55
James_D
29 May 2021, 5:43 am #26

In answer to some of the questions here...  the Toon Tour duplicate will not have a running commentary provided by the conductor, instead passengers will be provided with a printed copy of the Toon Tour commentary to read though if they wish to do so.  The regular Toon Tour B7 will be running along side the RM providing wheelchair accommodation and the option for passengers to pay by contactless card.  

As for the B1, 8319 will be sitting at Gateshead to provide a wheelchair accessible vehicle should the need arise 

And of course this all complies with part F of the public service vehicle accessibility regulations 2000, UK statutory instrument No 1970, part II, regulation 4.  Allowing a non PSVAR compliant vehicle to be used on local bus services providing they are over 20 years old and for no more than 20 days per annum.  

A lot of work has gone into the planning of this weekend and we hope this provides a bit of excitement and fun after what has been a difficult time for all.

Attached Files
.jpeg
D0AF8375-4A5B-416E-B5E4-0A96B80DF294.jpeg
Size 3.11 MB / Downloads 60
.jpeg
56F0A433-0604-4431-B05B-59B137C503D1.jpeg
Size 1.35 MB / Downloads 55

Adrian

29 May 2021, 9:32 am #27
(29 May 2021, 5:43 am)James_D In answer to some of the questions here...  the Toon Tour duplicate will not have a running commentary provided by the conductor, instead passengers will be provided with a printed copy of the Toon Tour commentary to read though if they wish to do so.  The regular Toon Tour B7 will be running along side the RM providing wheelchair accommodation and the option for passengers to pay by contactless card.  

Thanks. It's something positive to do, no taking away from that, but I guess the feedback for future is to ensure accessibility requirements are not forgotten about. Legislation might allow for it, but if an alternative wasn't provided, then that doesn't mean an awful lot to a wheelchair user being left at the side of the road.

Customer Services provided a similar response this morning, all of which should have been on the website (but a good response, nonetheless): "the heritage bus on the Toon Tour is a duplicate which will run behind the normal Toon Tour bus, but the heritage bus on the B1 service will run by itself. If a passenger requiring low-floor access wishes to travel, we'll have the ordinary low-floor bus on standby."

Adrian
29 May 2021, 9:32 am #27

(29 May 2021, 5:43 am)James_D In answer to some of the questions here...  the Toon Tour duplicate will not have a running commentary provided by the conductor, instead passengers will be provided with a printed copy of the Toon Tour commentary to read though if they wish to do so.  The regular Toon Tour B7 will be running along side the RM providing wheelchair accommodation and the option for passengers to pay by contactless card.  

Thanks. It's something positive to do, no taking away from that, but I guess the feedback for future is to ensure accessibility requirements are not forgotten about. Legislation might allow for it, but if an alternative wasn't provided, then that doesn't mean an awful lot to a wheelchair user being left at the side of the road.

Customer Services provided a similar response this morning, all of which should have been on the website (but a good response, nonetheless): "the heritage bus on the Toon Tour is a duplicate which will run behind the normal Toon Tour bus, but the heritage bus on the B1 service will run by itself. If a passenger requiring low-floor access wishes to travel, we'll have the ordinary low-floor bus on standby."

Adrian

29 May 2021, 7:25 pm #28
To follow on from the above, this was superbly managed on the ground today. The Toon Tour especially seemed to be well-received and very popular. The vintage bus ran in a pair with one of the accessible buses, so nobody was missed out on the route.

There was no commentary or MC on the Routemaster, but commentary sheets were given out. Those who wanted commentary were directed to the normal Toon Tour bus.
Pleased that this year, the Toon Tour is included in the standard ticketing range. Unlike Edinburgh or London for example, there isn't an awful lot to see by way of tourist attractions in Newcastle itself, so it doesn't really warrant a ticket of its own.

So its a well-done from me, but hopefully the feedback about putting accessibility information on the website is taken on board.

Adrian
29 May 2021, 7:25 pm #28

To follow on from the above, this was superbly managed on the ground today. The Toon Tour especially seemed to be well-received and very popular. The vintage bus ran in a pair with one of the accessible buses, so nobody was missed out on the route.

There was no commentary or MC on the Routemaster, but commentary sheets were given out. Those who wanted commentary were directed to the normal Toon Tour bus.
Pleased that this year, the Toon Tour is included in the standard ticketing range. Unlike Edinburgh or London for example, there isn't an awful lot to see by way of tourist attractions in Newcastle itself, so it doesn't really warrant a ticket of its own.

So its a well-done from me, but hopefully the feedback about putting accessibility information on the website is taken on board.

Andreos1

29 May 2021, 10:52 pm #29
(29 May 2021, 7:25 pm)Adrian To follow on from the above, this was superbly managed on the ground today. The Toon Tour especially seemed to be well-received and very popular. The vintage bus ran in a pair with one of the accessible buses, so nobody was missed out on the route.

Pleasing to hear that there was a tandem/dupe operation.
I saw the TT earlier today, but didn't see the Routemaster. According to the driver, what was the 1535 off Central was the last run of the day. Despite the timetable stating otherwise.

I had no idea normal tickets were accepted mind.

Andreos1
29 May 2021, 10:52 pm #29

(29 May 2021, 7:25 pm)Adrian To follow on from the above, this was superbly managed on the ground today. The Toon Tour especially seemed to be well-received and very popular. The vintage bus ran in a pair with one of the accessible buses, so nobody was missed out on the route.

Pleasing to hear that there was a tandem/dupe operation.
I saw the TT earlier today, but didn't see the Routemaster. According to the driver, what was the 1535 off Central was the last run of the day. Despite the timetable stating otherwise.

I had no idea normal tickets were accepted mind.

BusLoverMum

30 May 2021, 12:01 am #30
(28 May 2021, 5:59 pm)Adrian Oh. Best not cater for wheelchair users then, as they probably won't go.... *sigh*

This is exactly why communication should be clear, so that those who have accessibility requirements can plan in advance. Put yourself in their shoes for a moment and think how you'd feel being turned away, because in the absence of being told otherwise, you still expect an accessible bus to turn up.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
This is why we still need a thumbs up icon.
BusLoverMum
30 May 2021, 12:01 am #30

(28 May 2021, 5:59 pm)Adrian Oh. Best not cater for wheelchair users then, as they probably won't go.... *sigh*

This is exactly why communication should be clear, so that those who have accessibility requirements can plan in advance. Put yourself in their shoes for a moment and think how you'd feel being turned away, because in the absence of being told otherwise, you still expect an accessible bus to turn up.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
This is why we still need a thumbs up icon.

GNE6312

30 May 2021, 12:05 pm #31
Noticed yesterday on 2099 the driver went through Birtley instead of the A1M Which caused some delay at CLS
GNE6312
30 May 2021, 12:05 pm #31

Noticed yesterday on 2099 the driver went through Birtley instead of the A1M Which caused some delay at CLS

ne14ne1

30 May 2021, 12:12 pm #32

Brilliant, sounds like a good day had by all.
ne14ne1
30 May 2021, 12:12 pm #32

Brilliant, sounds like a good day had by all.

Ambassador

30 May 2021, 2:52 pm #33
I’m still bemused why it serves Chester Le Street at all. CLS has a decent service level to Beamish already with an almost identical journey time and it limits the routes the B1 can take

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
30 May 2021, 2:52 pm #33

I’m still bemused why it serves Chester Le Street at all. CLS has a decent service level to Beamish already with an almost identical journey time and it limits the routes the B1 can take

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

GNE6312

30 May 2021, 3:31 pm #34
(30 May 2021, 2:52 pm)Ambassador I’m still bemused why it serves Chester Le Street at all. CLS has a decent service level to Beamish already with an almost identical journey time and it limits the routes the B1 can take

It's probably a handy shuttle from CLS tbf as it runs non stop from there. The part that's confusing me is why 2099 us going non stop via Birtley instead of the usual route route along the A1M
GNE6312
30 May 2021, 3:31 pm #34

(30 May 2021, 2:52 pm)Ambassador I’m still bemused why it serves Chester Le Street at all. CLS has a decent service level to Beamish already with an almost identical journey time and it limits the routes the B1 can take

It's probably a handy shuttle from CLS tbf as it runs non stop from there. The part that's confusing me is why 2099 us going non stop via Birtley instead of the usual route route along the A1M

30 May 2021, 3:41 pm #35
Prob don't want to over exert the vehicle down the A1.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
30 May 2021, 3:41 pm #35

Prob don't want to over exert the vehicle down the A1.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

30 May 2021, 3:45 pm #36
(30 May 2021, 3:31 pm)GNE6312 It's probably a handy shuttle from CLS tbf as it runs non stop from there. The part that's confusing me is why 2099 us going non stop via Birtley instead of the usual route route along the A1M

Maybe they aren't allowed to take it on the motorway, don't forget it's just on loan.

I'd also imagine if something goes wrong with it (which there is a good chance of given the age), they'd rather have people stranded in Birtley than on the side of a motorway with cars driving past at 70mph.

(30 May 2021, 3:41 pm)Rapidsnap Prob don't want to over exert the vehicle down the A1.

And this
Edited 30 May 2021, 3:45 pm by streetdeckfan.
streetdeckfan
30 May 2021, 3:45 pm #36

(30 May 2021, 3:31 pm)GNE6312 It's probably a handy shuttle from CLS tbf as it runs non stop from there. The part that's confusing me is why 2099 us going non stop via Birtley instead of the usual route route along the A1M

Maybe they aren't allowed to take it on the motorway, don't forget it's just on loan.

I'd also imagine if something goes wrong with it (which there is a good chance of given the age), they'd rather have people stranded in Birtley than on the side of a motorway with cars driving past at 70mph.

(30 May 2021, 3:41 pm)Rapidsnap Prob don't want to over exert the vehicle down the A1.

And this

30 May 2021, 4:07 pm #37
Looks like it was well received by everyone. Possibly and hopefully sometime during July and August it happens again
Micheal Aaron
30 May 2021, 4:07 pm #37

Looks like it was well received by everyone. Possibly and hopefully sometime during July and August it happens again

GNE6312

30 May 2021, 4:19 pm #38
(30 May 2021, 3:45 pm)streetdeckfan Maybe they aren't allowed to take it on the motorway, don't forget it's just on loan.

And this

Fair point

(30 May 2021, 4:07 pm)Micheal Aaron Looks like it was well received by everyone. Possibly and hopefully sometime during July and August it happens again
Hopefully we can see more if this. And also heratige buses/coached doing dupes on other routes.
Edited 30 May 2021, 4:26 pm by GNE6312.
GNE6312
30 May 2021, 4:19 pm #38

(30 May 2021, 3:45 pm)streetdeckfan Maybe they aren't allowed to take it on the motorway, don't forget it's just on loan.

And this

Fair point

(30 May 2021, 4:07 pm)Micheal Aaron Looks like it was well received by everyone. Possibly and hopefully sometime during July and August it happens again
Hopefully we can see more if this. And also heratige buses/coached doing dupes on other routes.

30 May 2021, 5:59 pm #39
(30 May 2021, 12:05 pm)GNE6312 Noticed yesterday on 2099 the driver went through Birtley instead of the A1M Which caused some delay at CLS
Either way, it's probably not too much difference unless Birtley is gridlocked. They don't go above 40 and while it wouldn't be going up the bank from the Valley to the Angel, its still quite the climb up from the roundabout.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
30 May 2021, 5:59 pm #39

(30 May 2021, 12:05 pm)GNE6312 Noticed yesterday on 2099 the driver went through Birtley instead of the A1M Which caused some delay at CLS
Either way, it's probably not too much difference unless Birtley is gridlocked. They don't go above 40 and while it wouldn't be going up the bank from the Valley to the Angel, its still quite the climb up from the roundabout.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

02 Jun 2021, 1:27 am #40
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rpbsp/51216034771/

Looks like someone has withdrawal symptoms now the HSTs have left the rails... let's hope that windowhanging on buses isn't going to catch on?
omnicity4659
02 Jun 2021, 1:27 am #40

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rpbsp/51216034771/

Looks like someone has withdrawal symptoms now the HSTs have left the rails... let's hope that windowhanging on buses isn't going to catch on?

Pages (3) Previous 1 2 3 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average