North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Engine idling

Engine idling

Engine idling

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (2): 1 2 Next
idiot

12 Aug 2021, 9:32 pm #1
It's a pet hate of mine.
Tonight's driver on 20 keeps revving so the start stop technology doesn't kick in. What's the point in euro engines if drivers are doing this. It happens a lot to Sad
idiot
12 Aug 2021, 9:32 pm #1

It's a pet hate of mine.
Tonight's driver on 20 keeps revving so the start stop technology doesn't kick in. What's the point in euro engines if drivers are doing this. It happens a lot to Sad

mb134

12 Aug 2021, 9:46 pm #2
(12 Aug 2021, 9:32 pm)idiot It's a pet hate of mine.

Possible there's been an issue with the stop/start at some stage on his shift and he's just trying to keep it from switching off?
mb134
12 Aug 2021, 9:46 pm #2

Possible there's been an issue with the stop/start at some stage on his shift and he's just trying to keep it from switching off?

L469 YVK

12 Aug 2021, 9:58 pm #3
Do the Euro 5 Cummins StreetLites even come with S/S?
L469 YVK
12 Aug 2021, 9:58 pm #3

Do the Euro 5 Cummins StreetLites even come with S/S?

idiot

12 Aug 2021, 10:29 pm #4
It was a streetlite. If its having problems it should be vor
idiot
12 Aug 2021, 10:29 pm #4

It was a streetlite. If its having problems it should be vor

citaro5284

13 Aug 2021, 3:52 am #5
The telematics system in the vehicles has an auto shutdown after so many minutes if the vehicle is idling - so it will be the driver trying to hook wink the system.
citaro5284
13 Aug 2021, 3:52 am #5

The telematics system in the vehicles has an auto shutdown after so many minutes if the vehicle is idling - so it will be the driver trying to hook wink the system.

Stanleyone

13 Aug 2021, 5:55 am #6
(13 Aug 2021, 3:52 am)citaro5284 The telematics system in the vehicles has an auto shutdown after so many minutes if the vehicle is idling - so it will be the driver trying to hook wink the system.
Doesn't help on streetlites that then power off after 30 seconds of shutdown then take 2/3 mins for the ticket machine to reboot, internal lights don't come on straight away either. Hence why we override this part of telematics.
Stanleyone
13 Aug 2021, 5:55 am #6

(13 Aug 2021, 3:52 am)citaro5284 The telematics system in the vehicles has an auto shutdown after so many minutes if the vehicle is idling - so it will be the driver trying to hook wink the system.
Doesn't help on streetlites that then power off after 30 seconds of shutdown then take 2/3 mins for the ticket machine to reboot, internal lights don't come on straight away either. Hence why we override this part of telematics.

Dan

Site Administrator

13 Aug 2021, 5:59 am #7
(13 Aug 2021, 5:55 am)Stanleyone Doesn't help on streetlites that then power off after 30 seconds of shutdown then take 2/3 mins for the ticket machine to reboot, internal lights don't come on straight away either. Hence why we override this part of telematics.

Not from next week, hopefully! A new battery guard is being added to them to prevent the ticket machine etc from going off.
Dan
13 Aug 2021, 5:59 am #7

(13 Aug 2021, 5:55 am)Stanleyone Doesn't help on streetlites that then power off after 30 seconds of shutdown then take 2/3 mins for the ticket machine to reboot, internal lights don't come on straight away either. Hence why we override this part of telematics.

Not from next week, hopefully! A new battery guard is being added to them to prevent the ticket machine etc from going off.

tcts24

13 Aug 2021, 6:42 am #8
Do the interior lights not go off when the engine cuts out? Drivers are required to keep the bus fully lit while passengers are on. I'd guess this would be why they make sure it stays running?
tcts24
13 Aug 2021, 6:42 am #8

Do the interior lights not go off when the engine cuts out? Drivers are required to keep the bus fully lit while passengers are on. I'd guess this would be why they make sure it stays running?

ne14ne1

13 Aug 2021, 8:34 am #9
This is also a pet peeve of mine. I’ve been on many buses (during daylight) where drivers have sat revving the engine in city centre streets on layovers and at the bus stations to prevent the engine from automatically shutting down. It’s bad enough for them to be sat idling in the first place without then revving it too.
ne14ne1
13 Aug 2021, 8:34 am #9

This is also a pet peeve of mine. I’ve been on many buses (during daylight) where drivers have sat revving the engine in city centre streets on layovers and at the bus stations to prevent the engine from automatically shutting down. It’s bad enough for them to be sat idling in the first place without then revving it too.

13 Aug 2021, 8:35 am #10
To be fair though, I'd much rather have the driver sitting revving a Streetlite than have it idling! It's so much smoother!
streetdeckfan
13 Aug 2021, 8:35 am #10

To be fair though, I'd much rather have the driver sitting revving a Streetlite than have it idling! It's so much smoother!

14 Aug 2021, 12:36 am #11
It can also be a problem where the bus doesn't realise that the doors have opened then shut and the engine remains off. Then the driver has to put the bus into neutral, knock the ignition off and on, wait for the dash to clear and then can restart the engine.

Frankly for the sake of a few seconds while a passenger gets on or off I don't really see the issue with it. If you're sat for a few minutes then fair enough let the start stop do it's thing.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
14 Aug 2021, 12:36 am #11

It can also be a problem where the bus doesn't realise that the doors have opened then shut and the engine remains off. Then the driver has to put the bus into neutral, knock the ignition off and on, wait for the dash to clear and then can restart the engine.

Frankly for the sake of a few seconds while a passenger gets on or off I don't really see the issue with it. If you're sat for a few minutes then fair enough let the start stop do it's thing.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

idiot

23 Sep 2021, 10:01 pm #12
So on a bus again tonight at layover at Park Lane. Driver has reved the bus and is now standing outside of bus on his phone.

Now a tone has sounded whilst on his phone he has moved his phone away from his ear and reved the engine. And by the time I finished typing this post it's gone off again!

What's the point of euro 6 leaves painted on the bus if they do this!? If its a reliability issue then it should be sorted on warranty or at depot.
idiot
23 Sep 2021, 10:01 pm #12

So on a bus again tonight at layover at Park Lane. Driver has reved the bus and is now standing outside of bus on his phone.

Now a tone has sounded whilst on his phone he has moved his phone away from his ear and reved the engine. And by the time I finished typing this post it's gone off again!

What's the point of euro 6 leaves painted on the bus if they do this!? If its a reliability issue then it should be sorted on warranty or at depot.

ne14ne1

24 Sep 2021, 6:24 am #13
(23 Sep 2021, 10:01 pm)idiot So on a bus again tonight at layover at Park Lane. Driver has reved the bus and is now standing outside of bus on his phone.

Not good at all.
DM GNE so it can be raised with the depot manager.
ne14ne1
24 Sep 2021, 6:24 am #13

(23 Sep 2021, 10:01 pm)idiot So on a bus again tonight at layover at Park Lane. Driver has reved the bus and is now standing outside of bus on his phone.

Not good at all.
DM GNE so it can be raised with the depot manager.

24 Sep 2021, 7:25 am #14

I'm guessing that since the vehicle is modern enough to have start/stop, that it also has USB ports or sockets, and I know on some StreetDecks (maybe all?) when the engine cuts off, so do they.

It's rather annoying as my phone lights up every time and I think I'm getting notifications!
streetdeckfan
24 Sep 2021, 7:25 am #14

I'm guessing that since the vehicle is modern enough to have start/stop, that it also has USB ports or sockets, and I know on some StreetDecks (maybe all?) when the engine cuts off, so do they.

It's rather annoying as my phone lights up every time and I think I'm getting notifications!

24 Sep 2021, 1:41 pm #15
(24 Sep 2021, 7:25 am)streetdeckfan I'm guessing that since the vehicle is modern enough to have start/stop, that it also has USB ports or sockets, and I know on some StreetDecks (maybe all?) when the engine cuts off, so do they.

Like previously mentioned it's due to the battery guards being really sensitive on the Streetlites, switch your engine off for a few minutes, and next thing you know the entire bus is in darkness and your ticket machine is shutting down. Some seem to have got this new one that's less sensitive but not all of them. It's like a lottery as to whether to switch your bus off or not. There is a "cheat" where if you leave the ignition on but hit the mains power it won't cut power, but the saloon lights can still switch off randomly, not all drivers know this though.
deanmachine
24 Sep 2021, 1:41 pm #15

(24 Sep 2021, 7:25 am)streetdeckfan I'm guessing that since the vehicle is modern enough to have start/stop, that it also has USB ports or sockets, and I know on some StreetDecks (maybe all?) when the engine cuts off, so do they.

Like previously mentioned it's due to the battery guards being really sensitive on the Streetlites, switch your engine off for a few minutes, and next thing you know the entire bus is in darkness and your ticket machine is shutting down. Some seem to have got this new one that's less sensitive but not all of them. It's like a lottery as to whether to switch your bus off or not. There is a "cheat" where if you leave the ignition on but hit the mains power it won't cut power, but the saloon lights can still switch off randomly, not all drivers know this though.

idiot

14 Oct 2021, 9:31 pm #16
For the first time the driver hasn't stopped the auto stop tonight on my way home.
idiot
14 Oct 2021, 9:31 pm #16

For the first time the driver hasn't stopped the auto stop tonight on my way home.

15 Oct 2021, 4:48 pm #17
Start/Stop tech can be really really really annoying on School buses from my experiences
'oH mY gOd hAVe wE bRoKeN dOwN'
'yEY tHe bUS hAs bRoKEn dOwN'
KingSlayerRBLX
15 Oct 2021, 4:48 pm #17

Start/Stop tech can be really really really annoying on School buses from my experiences

ne14ne1

15 Oct 2021, 4:55 pm #18
(15 Oct 2021, 4:48 pm)KingSlayerRBLX Start/Stop tech can be really really really annoying on School buses from my experiences

I’m sure they’ll get used to it.
It’s a bit like years ago the odd person would laugh if they heard a car engine start back up when the light went green or if in traffic (as the car had probably stalled). Now it’s common practice with stop/start so no one batters an eyelid.
ne14ne1
15 Oct 2021, 4:55 pm #18

(15 Oct 2021, 4:48 pm)KingSlayerRBLX Start/Stop tech can be really really really annoying on School buses from my experiences

I’m sure they’ll get used to it.
It’s a bit like years ago the odd person would laugh if they heard a car engine start back up when the light went green or if in traffic (as the car had probably stalled). Now it’s common practice with stop/start so no one batters an eyelid.

15 Oct 2021, 6:53 pm #19
(15 Oct 2021, 4:55 pm)ne14ne1 I’m sure they’ll get used to it.
oh they never. haha
KingSlayerRBLX
15 Oct 2021, 6:53 pm #19

(15 Oct 2021, 4:55 pm)ne14ne1 I’m sure they’ll get used to it.
oh they never. haha

Storx

15 Oct 2021, 7:10 pm #20
Think I must be the only one who isn't bothered. Then again drivers revving the engine on Scania N113DRB's and L113's was actually a blessing. The engine idle shake on them was unbearable especially if you were in the wrong seat (above the wheels or at the back). Some Omnicity's aren't particularly much better.
Storx
15 Oct 2021, 7:10 pm #20

Think I must be the only one who isn't bothered. Then again drivers revving the engine on Scania N113DRB's and L113's was actually a blessing. The engine idle shake on them was unbearable especially if you were in the wrong seat (above the wheels or at the back). Some Omnicity's aren't particularly much better.

Pages (2): 1 2 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average