Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East 58 Extension to Follingsby Park

58 Extension to Follingsby Park

58 Extension to Follingsby Park

• 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average

Pages (2) 1 2 Next
19 Jan 2022, 3:38 am #1
A survey has been sent out to Amazon staff tonight asking thoughts on a planned extension of the 58 to Follingsby Park.
User2613
19 Jan 2022, 3:38 am #1

A survey has been sent out to Amazon staff tonight asking thoughts on a planned extension of the 58 to Follingsby Park.

Train8261

19 Jan 2022, 9:06 am #2
(19 Jan 2022, 3:38 am)User2613 A survey has been sent out to Amazon staff tonight asking thoughts on a planned extension of the 58 to Follingsby Park.
That sounds like a good idea but wouldn't that mean more deckers for the 58
Train8261
19 Jan 2022, 9:06 am #2

(19 Jan 2022, 3:38 am)User2613 A survey has been sent out to Amazon staff tonight asking thoughts on a planned extension of the 58 to Follingsby Park.
That sounds like a good idea but wouldn't that mean more deckers for the 58

19 Jan 2022, 9:52 am #3
(19 Jan 2022, 9:06 am)Train8261 That sounds like a good idea but wouldn't that mean more deckers for the 58

Current PVR of the 58 is 6. It would go up to 7 with very little layover or 8 with more substantial layover. 

The survey suggested that the 4 and 58 would both operate to a 15 minute frequency to give a 7/8 minute combined frequency. 

Sounds like the 4 is being decreased from every 12 minutes to every 15.
User2613
19 Jan 2022, 9:52 am #3

(19 Jan 2022, 9:06 am)Train8261 That sounds like a good idea but wouldn't that mean more deckers for the 58

Current PVR of the 58 is 6. It would go up to 7 with very little layover or 8 with more substantial layover. 

The survey suggested that the 4 and 58 would both operate to a 15 minute frequency to give a 7/8 minute combined frequency. 

Sounds like the 4 is being decreased from every 12 minutes to every 15.

Storx

19 Jan 2022, 11:55 am #4
Has it been confirmed to be running to Heworth as it would seem more sensible to cut the corner off at Meresyde or Cotemede / Leam Lane and run direct cutting Heworth off and offer a faster service direct to Newcastle / Gateshead instead without a change would get the PVR down aswell.

The 58 to Heworth from the rest of the route is covered by the 51/52, 57 or 93/94 depending where you are on the route.
Storx
19 Jan 2022, 11:55 am #4

Has it been confirmed to be running to Heworth as it would seem more sensible to cut the corner off at Meresyde or Cotemede / Leam Lane and run direct cutting Heworth off and offer a faster service direct to Newcastle / Gateshead instead without a change would get the PVR down aswell.

The 58 to Heworth from the rest of the route is covered by the 51/52, 57 or 93/94 depending where you are on the route.

19 Jan 2022, 12:46 pm #5
Albion Street, Whitehill Drive and Staneway would be left without a service to Heworth. Why miss Heworth anyway? That's were the passengers are going to be.

Sent from my XQ-AD52 using Tapatalk
Expresslink
19 Jan 2022, 12:46 pm #5

Albion Street, Whitehill Drive and Staneway would be left without a service to Heworth. Why miss Heworth anyway? That's were the passengers are going to be.

Storx

19 Jan 2022, 1:10 pm #6
(19 Jan 2022, 12:46 pm)Expresslink Albion Street, Whitehill Drive and Staneway would be left without a service to Heworth. Why miss Heworth anyway? That's were the passengers are going to be.

Aye that's fair just checked how long the 58 took, didn't realise it took so long. It would never be competitive as an alternative using a bus throughout.
Storx
19 Jan 2022, 1:10 pm #6

(19 Jan 2022, 12:46 pm)Expresslink Albion Street, Whitehill Drive and Staneway would be left without a service to Heworth. Why miss Heworth anyway? That's were the passengers are going to be.

Aye that's fair just checked how long the 58 took, didn't realise it took so long. It would never be competitive as an alternative using a bus throughout.

Dan

Site Administrator

19 Jan 2022, 1:36 pm #7
(19 Jan 2022, 1:10 pm)Storx Aye that's fair just checked how long the 58 took, didn't realise it took so long. It would never be competitive as an alternative using a bus throughout.

It's not about competiton.

I've said on this forum several times in recent months, competition is dead. Integration (between buses, or different forms of public transport) is the way forward, and will likely see rationalisation in some areas where there is duplication.

This proposal and the consultation to Amazon's employees is about offering more buses per hour from Follingsby to Heworth (up to every 7-8 mins combined with the 4, instead of every 12 mins only with the 4), and provide a service to more areas than is currently being offered, for any of their Associates that live in Windy Nook, Felling, etc, who would then have a direct bus service instead of changing buses at Heworth.

A regular opinion on this forum is that the 'hub and spoke' model doesn't work - so this is an example of where Go North East is proposing to shuffle resource around slightly to offer a direct bus service, even if it does take a little bit longer than the hub and spoke method.
Dan
19 Jan 2022, 1:36 pm #7

(19 Jan 2022, 1:10 pm)Storx Aye that's fair just checked how long the 58 took, didn't realise it took so long. It would never be competitive as an alternative using a bus throughout.

It's not about competiton.

I've said on this forum several times in recent months, competition is dead. Integration (between buses, or different forms of public transport) is the way forward, and will likely see rationalisation in some areas where there is duplication.

This proposal and the consultation to Amazon's employees is about offering more buses per hour from Follingsby to Heworth (up to every 7-8 mins combined with the 4, instead of every 12 mins only with the 4), and provide a service to more areas than is currently being offered, for any of their Associates that live in Windy Nook, Felling, etc, who would then have a direct bus service instead of changing buses at Heworth.

A regular opinion on this forum is that the 'hub and spoke' model doesn't work - so this is an example of where Go North East is proposing to shuffle resource around slightly to offer a direct bus service, even if it does take a little bit longer than the hub and spoke method.

Storx

19 Jan 2022, 1:54 pm #8
(19 Jan 2022, 1:36 pm)Dan It's not about competiton.

I think you misread the competitive there it was more about timings rather than competing against the Metro. I thought it would've been quicker to go straight throughout with the hassle of changing (potentially twice) which people aren't keen on.

Similar to the 309/19 and Metro situation at Cobalt with most people by the end going for the direct bus options. Didn't realise how long the 58 took end to end always though it was around 20 mins rather than slightly over 30 minutes from Gateshead so only unwise people would take the bus option.
Storx
19 Jan 2022, 1:54 pm #8

I think you misread the competitive there it was more about timings rather than competing against the Metro. I thought it would've been quicker to go straight throughout with the hassle of changing (potentially twice) which people aren't keen on.

Similar to the 309/19 and Metro situation at Cobalt with most people by the end going for the direct bus options. Didn't realise how long the 58 took end to end always though it was around 20 mins rather than slightly over 30 minutes from Gateshead so only unwise people would take the bus option.

Omega54

19 Jan 2022, 5:21 pm #9

If it does will the PVR increase?
Omega54
19 Jan 2022, 5:21 pm #9

If it does will the PVR increase?

DeltaMan

19 Jan 2022, 7:01 pm #10
How about sending the 58 via Mereside/High Lanes to Heworth only, with the 51/52 doing Milford - Lingey Lane-Follingsby-Fast to/from Heworth?

Fewster Square/Colegate/Heworth is covered by the 57 anyway

That way you open up more of the Gateshead residential areas to a direct bus to/from Amazon
DeltaMan
19 Jan 2022, 7:01 pm #10

How about sending the 58 via Mereside/High Lanes to Heworth only, with the 51/52 doing Milford - Lingey Lane-Follingsby-Fast to/from Heworth?

That way you open up more of the Gateshead residential areas to a direct bus to/from Amazon

Malarkey

19 Jan 2022, 7:41 pm #11
(19 Jan 2022, 7:01 pm)DeltaMan How about sending the 58 via Mereside/High Lanes to Heworth only, with the 51/52 doing Milford - Lingey Lane-Follingsby-Fast to/from Heworth?

I was thinking the same when looking at the respective route maps for the services in the East Gateshead estates.

I personally don't understand why the 58 needs to operate the Felling side then cut across Windy Nook to operate the southern section of Leam Lane which it duplicates with the 57 from their to Heworth. 51/52 also does similar missing out a section of Split Crow Road to operate a section of Carr Hill Road, then there is a large chunk of Whitehill Drive/Stone Street without a Bus Service

I therefore think it would be a good idea to have a clockwise/anticlockwise circular route from Split Crow Road via Crowhall Lane/The Drive to Heworth then via High Heworth Lane/Albion Street onto Carr Hill Road back to Gateshead with the other routes in East Gateshead reviewed as they appear to be a bit of a mess. 

Go North East should've branded Services 51/52/57 & 58 "East Gateshead Criss Cross" as that's exactly what they do  Tongue
Malarkey
19 Jan 2022, 7:41 pm #11

(19 Jan 2022, 7:01 pm)DeltaMan How about sending the 58 via Mereside/High Lanes to Heworth only, with the 51/52 doing Milford - Lingey Lane-Follingsby-Fast to/from Heworth?

I was thinking the same when looking at the respective route maps for the services in the East Gateshead estates.

I personally don't understand why the 58 needs to operate the Felling side then cut across Windy Nook to operate the southern section of Leam Lane which it duplicates with the 57 from their to Heworth. 51/52 also does similar missing out a section of Split Crow Road to operate a section of Carr Hill Road, then there is a large chunk of Whitehill Drive/Stone Street without a Bus Service

I therefore think it would be a good idea to have a clockwise/anticlockwise circular route from Split Crow Road via Crowhall Lane/The Drive to Heworth then via High Heworth Lane/Albion Street onto Carr Hill Road back to Gateshead with the other routes in East Gateshead reviewed as they appear to be a bit of a mess. 

Go North East should've branded Services 51/52/57 & 58 "East Gateshead Criss Cross" as that's exactly what they do  Tongue

Michael

19 Jan 2022, 8:45 pm #12
Would make sense, the 58 was the service rumoured to get the next set of electric buses, due this year, a route extension puts the PVR up to 8 (due to layover time etc) - leaving 1 spare from the batch (2 overall).

I wonder what other service(s) could be extended in the future?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
19 Jan 2022, 8:45 pm #12

Would make sense, the 58 was the service rumoured to get the next set of electric buses, due this year, a route extension puts the PVR up to 8 (due to layover time etc) - leaving 1 spare from the batch (2 overall).

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Omega54

19 Jan 2022, 10:06 pm #13
(19 Jan 2022, 8:45 pm)Michael Would make sense, the 58 was the service rumoured to get the next set of electric buses, due this year, a route extension puts the PVR up to 8 (due to layover time etc) - leaving 1 spare from the batch (2 overall).

Maybe the X10 or 27 as Direct ways into Newcastle and Gateshead. 

And on a evening X10 connects to 65/61. Then in peterlee maybe if there is demand maybe their could be 1 or 2 local services running in timings for X10 arrival.
Omega54
19 Jan 2022, 10:06 pm #13

(19 Jan 2022, 8:45 pm)Michael Would make sense, the 58 was the service rumoured to get the next set of electric buses, due this year, a route extension puts the PVR up to 8 (due to layover time etc) - leaving 1 spare from the batch (2 overall).

Maybe the X10 or 27 as Direct ways into Newcastle and Gateshead. 

And on a evening X10 connects to 65/61. Then in peterlee maybe if there is demand maybe their could be 1 or 2 local services running in timings for X10 arrival.

busmanT

20 Jan 2022, 8:57 am #14

Stagecoach X24/A could divert through Follingsby when the through road from near Nissan opens

Go North East 57 operates very close to Follingsby as well
busmanT
20 Jan 2022, 8:57 am #14

Stagecoach X24/A could divert through Follingsby when the through road from near Nissan opens

Storx

20 Jan 2022, 9:56 am #15
(20 Jan 2022, 8:57 am)busmanT Stagecoach X24/A could divert through Follingsby when the through road from near Nissan opens

It'd be quite difficult to do the 57 because of it's loop. Mind imo they should split the 57 into a 57/57A and do one going one way around the loop every 30 minutes and the other every 30 minutes going in the opposite direction since they've upped it to every 15 minutes. I'm not sure if I lived in the Kier Hardie Avenue I could be chewed with sitting on a bus for 12 minutes going around estates when going home in the night or the same on Leam Lane heading towards to Heworth/Newcastle. Think I'd prefer the direct service every 30 minutes.
Storx
20 Jan 2022, 9:56 am #15

(20 Jan 2022, 8:57 am)busmanT Stagecoach X24/A could divert through Follingsby when the through road from near Nissan opens

It'd be quite difficult to do the 57 because of it's loop. Mind imo they should split the 57 into a 57/57A and do one going one way around the loop every 30 minutes and the other every 30 minutes going in the opposite direction since they've upped it to every 15 minutes. I'm not sure if I lived in the Kier Hardie Avenue I could be chewed with sitting on a bus for 12 minutes going around estates when going home in the night or the same on Leam Lane heading towards to Heworth/Newcastle. Think I'd prefer the direct service every 30 minutes.

V514DFT

20 Jan 2022, 8:46 pm #16
(20 Jan 2022, 9:56 am)Storx It'd be quite difficult to do the 57 because of it's loop. Mind imo they should split the 57 into a 57/57A and do one going one way around the loop every 30 minutes and the other every 30 minutes going in the opposite direction since they've upped it to every 15 minutes. I'm not sure if I lived in the Kier Hardie Avenue I could be chewed with sitting on a bus for 12 minutes going around estates when going home in the night or the same on Leam Lane heading towards to Heworth/Newcastle. Think I'd prefer the direct service every 30 minutes.
Similar to the 41?

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
20 Jan 2022, 8:46 pm #16

(20 Jan 2022, 9:56 am)Storx It'd be quite difficult to do the 57 because of it's loop. Mind imo they should split the 57 into a 57/57A and do one going one way around the loop every 30 minutes and the other every 30 minutes going in the opposite direction since they've upped it to every 15 minutes. I'm not sure if I lived in the Kier Hardie Avenue I could be chewed with sitting on a bus for 12 minutes going around estates when going home in the night or the same on Leam Lane heading towards to Heworth/Newcastle. Think I'd prefer the direct service every 30 minutes.
Similar to the 41?

Kind Regards
Tez

Storx

20 Jan 2022, 10:53 pm #17
(20 Jan 2022, 8:46 pm)V514DFT Similar to the 41?

Aye or the X87/X88 in the West End or 34/34A in Billingham which work identical pretty much.
Storx
20 Jan 2022, 10:53 pm #17

(20 Jan 2022, 8:46 pm)V514DFT Similar to the 41?

Aye or the X87/X88 in the West End or 34/34A in Billingham which work identical pretty much.

V514DFT

22 Jan 2022, 2:59 pm #18
(20 Jan 2022, 10:53 pm)Storx Aye or the X87/X88 in the West End or 34/34A in Billingham which work identical pretty much.
Tbh,that doesnt sound a bad idea

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
22 Jan 2022, 2:59 pm #18

(20 Jan 2022, 10:53 pm)Storx Aye or the X87/X88 in the West End or 34/34A in Billingham which work identical pretty much.
Tbh,that doesnt sound a bad idea

Kind Regards
Tez

Michael

25 Jan 2022, 9:08 pm #19
Does anyone know when the survey ends? and when will we find out if the changes happen?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
25 Jan 2022, 9:08 pm #19

Does anyone know when the survey ends? and when will we find out if the changes happen?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Train8261

25 Feb 2022, 11:03 am #20
So what happened with this. Is it true or was it just a rumours
Train8261
25 Feb 2022, 11:03 am #20

So what happened with this. Is it true or was it just a rumours

Pages (2) 1 2 Next

• 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average