Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East What are the worst routes to drive?

What are the worst routes to drive?

What are the worst routes to drive?

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

Pages (4) 1 2 3 4 Next
Omega54

23 Jan 2022, 5:31 pm #1
Drivers of this forum, what is the worst route from your depot to drive?

Enthusiasts what do you think is the worst route to drive?
Omega54
23 Jan 2022, 5:31 pm #1

Drivers of this forum, what is the worst route from your depot to drive?

Enthusiasts what do you think is the worst route to drive?

Rob44

23 Jan 2022, 5:58 pm #2
any route where the put a double decker or full sized single on that should be a solo mini bus due to the route!
Rob44
23 Jan 2022, 5:58 pm #2

any route where the put a double decker or full sized single on that should be a solo mini bus due to the route!

morritt89

23 Jan 2022, 6:01 pm #3
Deptford:

The 237/79A I hated. Too quiet, lucky to get 1 passenger per trip plus the route was different in each direction and not forgetting the first and last trips via East Rainton. Park Estate far too small for a bus (many a 3 point turn in a Solo).

The old 38 in anything bigger than a Solo with the right turn at the top of Black Road then then the left onto Nelson Street. After you've contended with that, you then need to hope no one has parked on the bends round Tunstall Bank.

Each route has its challenges but some more than others. Crossing the A690 in a Streetlite for example can be a nightmare at times. Dawdon (Mount Stewart Street?) can also be 'exciting' if you meet another bus at the corner.
morritt89
23 Jan 2022, 6:01 pm #3

Deptford:

The 237/79A I hated. Too quiet, lucky to get 1 passenger per trip plus the route was different in each direction and not forgetting the first and last trips via East Rainton. Park Estate far too small for a bus (many a 3 point turn in a Solo).

The old 38 in anything bigger than a Solo with the right turn at the top of Black Road then then the left onto Nelson Street. After you've contended with that, you then need to hope no one has parked on the bends round Tunstall Bank.

Each route has its challenges but some more than others. Crossing the A690 in a Streetlite for example can be a nightmare at times. Dawdon (Mount Stewart Street?) can also be 'exciting' if you meet another bus at the corner.

Train8261

23 Jan 2022, 6:27 pm #4
Been told of a Percy Main driver he hates the 434 route in Ashington
Train8261
23 Jan 2022, 6:27 pm #4

Been told of a Percy Main driver he hates the 434 route in Ashington

23 Jan 2022, 6:44 pm #5
Arriva Blyth, 308 and X8. Also service 2 as many junctions are a very tight squeeze for Pulsars.
Driver9***
23 Jan 2022, 6:44 pm #5

Arriva Blyth, 308 and X8. Also service 2 as many junctions are a very tight squeeze for Pulsars.

Omega54

23 Jan 2022, 6:46 pm #6
(23 Jan 2022, 6:01 pm)morritt89 Deptford:

I have been on the 202 and the 60 where they have met there. Also going up that street can be a pain if a bus is coming down. 

Also 96 is quite challenging after Team Valley, been on that alot, never crashed through. 

Never been on it but I hear 683(i think) has a few 3 point turns.

Any deptford or consett drivers, what is the 35 or 78 like to drive, with them being around 2hours long?
Omega54
23 Jan 2022, 6:46 pm #6

I have been on the 202 and the 60 where they have met there. Also going up that street can be a pain if a bus is coming down. 

Also 96 is quite challenging after Team Valley, been on that alot, never crashed through. 

Never been on it but I hear 683(i think) has a few 3 point turns.

Any deptford or consett drivers, what is the 35 or 78 like to drive, with them being around 2hours long?

L469 YVK

23 Jan 2022, 6:56 pm #7
(23 Jan 2022, 6:44 pm)Driver9*** Arriva Blyth, 308 and X8. Also service 2 as many junctions are a very tight squeeze for Pulsars.
X8 I agree, but 308 has got more running time now and hopefully some investment will make things easier. Although when I used to use both the 308/309 regularly at peak times, you'd get the numpties legging it at the last minute wanting to go go Benfield Road and end up paying with a £10/£20 note making the bus later and later.

I did always say (before COVID) that there should be a parallel express service at least during peak times, given that before COVID it was only second to GNE's full 21 journeys in terms of revenue in the North East (excluding any SNE 'Busways' routes).

I wonder what the X72 is like to drive? Must be a nightmare having to make two right turns in and out of Lobley Hill towards Newcastle?
Edited 23 Jan 2022, 6:57 pm by L469 YVK.
L469 YVK
23 Jan 2022, 6:56 pm #7

(23 Jan 2022, 6:44 pm)Driver9*** Arriva Blyth, 308 and X8. Also service 2 as many junctions are a very tight squeeze for Pulsars.
X8 I agree, but 308 has got more running time now and hopefully some investment will make things easier. Although when I used to use both the 308/309 regularly at peak times, you'd get the numpties legging it at the last minute wanting to go go Benfield Road and end up paying with a £10/£20 note making the bus later and later.

I did always say (before COVID) that there should be a parallel express service at least during peak times, given that before COVID it was only second to GNE's full 21 journeys in terms of revenue in the North East (excluding any SNE 'Busways' routes).

I wonder what the X72 is like to drive? Must be a nightmare having to make two right turns in and out of Lobley Hill towards Newcastle?

Omega54

23 Jan 2022, 7:00 pm #8
(23 Jan 2022, 6:56 pm)L469 YVK X8 I agree, but 308 has got more running time now and hopefully some investment will make things easier. Although when I used to use both the 308/309 regularly at peak times, you'd get the numpties legging it at the last minute wanting to go go Benfield Road and end up paying with a £10/£20 note making the bus later and later.

I have been on the X72, from what I can recall it wasn't that bad. 

Then I went through school time, and it was pain. We were stuck for around 5 mins.
Omega54
23 Jan 2022, 7:00 pm #8

(23 Jan 2022, 6:56 pm)L469 YVK X8 I agree, but 308 has got more running time now and hopefully some investment will make things easier. Although when I used to use both the 308/309 regularly at peak times, you'd get the numpties legging it at the last minute wanting to go go Benfield Road and end up paying with a £10/£20 note making the bus later and later.

I have been on the X72, from what I can recall it wasn't that bad. 

Then I went through school time, and it was pain. We were stuck for around 5 mins.

Bazza

23 Jan 2022, 7:38 pm #9

Out of interest how do you know this or is it an educated guess?
Bazza
23 Jan 2022, 7:38 pm #9

Out of interest how do you know this or is it an educated guess?

V514DFT

23 Jan 2022, 7:42 pm #10
The 17 used to be a right pig,especially back in that snow we had in 2010,it had to skip estates when the weather was that bad,and it was long af,but even so,theres was still something aboit that route,probably its amount of connections it had,i say merge the 42/42A and 11 again

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
23 Jan 2022, 7:42 pm #10

The 17 used to be a right pig,especially back in that snow we had in 2010,it had to skip estates when the weather was that bad,and it was long af,but even so,theres was still something aboit that route,probably its amount of connections it had,i say merge the 42/42A and 11 again

Kind Regards
Tez

Adrian

23 Jan 2022, 8:11 pm #11

I've always been interested in this from a driver perspective. As someone who has never driven a bus, I often wondered whether doing a few runs on something like that would be an 'easy day at the office' or whether it'd drag on, compared to say doing some evening journeys on the 21, where you're pretty much guaranteed a decent loading.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
23 Jan 2022, 8:11 pm #11

I've always been interested in this from a driver perspective. As someone who has never driven a bus, I often wondered whether doing a few runs on something like that would be an 'easy day at the office' or whether it'd drag on, compared to say doing some evening journeys on the 21, where you're pretty much guaranteed a decent loading.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

23 Jan 2022, 8:19 pm #12
(23 Jan 2022, 6:46 pm)Omega54 Any deptford or consett drivers, what is the 35 or 78 like to drive, with them being around 2hours long?

Can't comment on the 78, but the 35 is quite a boring route as you're weaving in and out of estates, the advantage is you know it's going to take a big chunk out of your shift if you do a full round trip. My least favourite are minibus routes that don't really go far though, I absolutely hate a full shift of 33s and 700s at Deptford for example, but I like busy interurban routes such as the 20 and 56.
deanmachine
23 Jan 2022, 8:19 pm #12

(23 Jan 2022, 6:46 pm)Omega54 Any deptford or consett drivers, what is the 35 or 78 like to drive, with them being around 2hours long?

Can't comment on the 78, but the 35 is quite a boring route as you're weaving in and out of estates, the advantage is you know it's going to take a big chunk out of your shift if you do a full round trip. My least favourite are minibus routes that don't really go far though, I absolutely hate a full shift of 33s and 700s at Deptford for example, but I like busy interurban routes such as the 20 and 56.

23 Jan 2022, 8:20 pm #13
The 8 or X8 South Hylton to Docks via the crematorium gates...

You got excited if there was a passenger for the whole route
DaveFromUpNorth
23 Jan 2022, 8:20 pm #13

The 8 or X8 South Hylton to Docks via the crematorium gates...

You got excited if there was a passenger for the whole route

Omega54

23 Jan 2022, 8:35 pm #14
(23 Jan 2022, 8:19 pm)deanmachine Can't comment on the 78, but the 35 is quite a boring route as you're weaving in and out of estates, the advantage is you know it's going to take a big chunk out of your shift if you do a full round trip. My least favourite are minibus routes that don't really go far though, I absolutely hate a full shift of 33s and 700s at Deptford for example, but I like busy interurban routes such as the 20 and 56.
Ngl I hate the 20 & 56, Ill do anything not to get on them. Wether at is get the 55 or the X20. Or go to Easington lane of DP for the X1.

Seems as though you're a deptford driver I saw someone mention the 60 earlier what is ur thoughts on that turns on Mount Stewart Street.
Omega54
23 Jan 2022, 8:35 pm #14

(23 Jan 2022, 8:19 pm)deanmachine Can't comment on the 78, but the 35 is quite a boring route as you're weaving in and out of estates, the advantage is you know it's going to take a big chunk out of your shift if you do a full round trip. My least favourite are minibus routes that don't really go far though, I absolutely hate a full shift of 33s and 700s at Deptford for example, but I like busy interurban routes such as the 20 and 56.
Ngl I hate the 20 & 56, Ill do anything not to get on them. Wether at is get the 55 or the X20. Or go to Easington lane of DP for the X1.

Seems as though you're a deptford driver I saw someone mention the 60 earlier what is ur thoughts on that turns on Mount Stewart Street.

23 Jan 2022, 8:43 pm #15
(23 Jan 2022, 8:35 pm)Omega54 Ngl I hate the 20 & 56, Ill do anything not to get on them. Wether at is get the 55 or the X20. Or go to Easington lane of DP for the X1.

I really hate that corner, especially when you know that the next bus is due but hasn't turned onto Queen Alexandra Road when you're heading towards it. I'll often wait in the last bus stop before the corner for the next bus to avoid meeting them at the same time. It's not ideal let's say. The 60 itself isn't a bad route though, it's only when you get a shift with 3 or more of them on it starts to get a bit annoying.

It's the same story for another route mentioned earlier, when turning onto Ryhope Street from Black Road on a 2 or 38, if you meet a bus at just the wrong time it gets very tricky.
deanmachine
23 Jan 2022, 8:43 pm #15

(23 Jan 2022, 8:35 pm)Omega54 Ngl I hate the 20 & 56, Ill do anything not to get on them. Wether at is get the 55 or the X20. Or go to Easington lane of DP for the X1.

I really hate that corner, especially when you know that the next bus is due but hasn't turned onto Queen Alexandra Road when you're heading towards it. I'll often wait in the last bus stop before the corner for the next bus to avoid meeting them at the same time. It's not ideal let's say. The 60 itself isn't a bad route though, it's only when you get a shift with 3 or more of them on it starts to get a bit annoying.

It's the same story for another route mentioned earlier, when turning onto Ryhope Street from Black Road on a 2 or 38, if you meet a bus at just the wrong time it gets very tricky.

DeltaMan

23 Jan 2022, 8:45 pm #16
(23 Jan 2022, 7:42 pm)V514DFT The 17 used to be a right pig,especially back in that snow we had in 2010,it had to skip estates when the weather was that bad,and it was long af,but even so,theres was still something aboit that route,probably its amount of connections it had,i say merge the 42/42A and 11 again

Wasn't the 17 a big bus route with minibus timing as well?
DeltaMan
23 Jan 2022, 8:45 pm #16

(23 Jan 2022, 7:42 pm)V514DFT The 17 used to be a right pig,especially back in that snow we had in 2010,it had to skip estates when the weather was that bad,and it was long af,but even so,theres was still something aboit that route,probably its amount of connections it had,i say merge the 42/42A and 11 again

Wasn't the 17 a big bus route with minibus timing as well?

Omega54

23 Jan 2022, 8:45 pm #17
(23 Jan 2022, 8:43 pm)deanmachine I really hate that corner, especially when you know that the next bus is due but hasn't turned onto Queen Alexandra Road when you're heading towards it. I'll often wait in the last bus stop before the corner for the next bus to avoid meeting them at the same time. It's not ideal let's say. The 60 itself isn't a bad route though, it's only when you get a shift with 3 or more of them on it starts to get a bit annoying.
Do you ever drive the X20/38. On the "small bus" rota?

(23 Jan 2022, 8:45 pm)DeltaMan Wasn't the 17 a big bus route with minibus timing as well?
It used the dual door cadet.

Anyone know the length of them?
Edited 23 Jan 2022, 8:47 pm by Omega54.
Omega54
23 Jan 2022, 8:45 pm #17

(23 Jan 2022, 8:43 pm)deanmachine I really hate that corner, especially when you know that the next bus is due but hasn't turned onto Queen Alexandra Road when you're heading towards it. I'll often wait in the last bus stop before the corner for the next bus to avoid meeting them at the same time. It's not ideal let's say. The 60 itself isn't a bad route though, it's only when you get a shift with 3 or more of them on it starts to get a bit annoying.
Do you ever drive the X20/38. On the "small bus" rota?

(23 Jan 2022, 8:45 pm)DeltaMan Wasn't the 17 a big bus route with minibus timing as well?
It used the dual door cadet.

Anyone know the length of them?

23 Jan 2022, 8:50 pm #18
(23 Jan 2022, 8:45 pm)Omega54 Do you ever drive the X20/38. On the "small bus" rota?

Plenty of "big bus" drivers will drive the Blue Rota routes on their rest days, not all of them know all the routes though. You can give me an X20 any day though, it's a great route. Not a fan of the 38, mainly because of having to drive around them all day on a dual door decker, MPD or Scania back when I was on that rota 5 years ago.
deanmachine
23 Jan 2022, 8:50 pm #18

(23 Jan 2022, 8:45 pm)Omega54 Do you ever drive the X20/38. On the "small bus" rota?

Plenty of "big bus" drivers will drive the Blue Rota routes on their rest days, not all of them know all the routes though. You can give me an X20 any day though, it's a great route. Not a fan of the 38, mainly because of having to drive around them all day on a dual door decker, MPD or Scania back when I was on that rota 5 years ago.

23 Jan 2022, 11:10 pm #19
I'd be interested to know what 42A (Percy Main) and 74 (Hexham) drivers think of their routes. Any of those drivers on here? Personally I'd like them.

27 isn't a very interesting route. X30/X31, X45/X46/47/47A and X70/X71 look quite good to drive.

Short routes and quiet routes are probably the worst.
OrangeArrow49
23 Jan 2022, 11:10 pm #19

I'd be interested to know what 42A (Percy Main) and 74 (Hexham) drivers think of their routes. Any of those drivers on here? Personally I'd like them.

27 isn't a very interesting route. X30/X31, X45/X46/47/47A and X70/X71 look quite good to drive.

Short routes and quiet routes are probably the worst.

24 Jan 2022, 12:37 am #20

As a passenger, I can understand drivers' frustration with the X8 - it always seems to loose time when meandering through the Cowpen Estate, even when no one gets on or off!
solsburian
24 Jan 2022, 12:37 am #20

As a passenger, I can understand drivers' frustration with the X8 - it always seems to loose time when meandering through the Cowpen Estate, even when no one gets on or off!

Pages (4) 1 2 3 4 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average