North East Buses Local Bus Scene Bygone Era GNE Historical eras

GNE Historical eras

GNE Historical eras

• 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average

Pages (2) 1 2 Next
Wybus

13 Feb 2022, 9:30 pm #1
I wonder if anyone can clarify the dates of when the various GNE eras started

- When were the local brands introduced - Wear Buses, Coastline, Go Ahead Gateshead etc?

- When did they all get rebranded into the red/blue corporate livery as Go Gateshead, Go Northern etc. Was there ever a Go VFM Buses, or had that been discontinued by then?

- When did those names get phased out and combined as Go North East?

- When did the route branding era start?
Wybus
13 Feb 2022, 9:30 pm #1

I wonder if anyone can clarify the dates of when the various GNE eras started

- When were the local brands introduced - Wear Buses, Coastline, Go Ahead Gateshead etc?

- When did they all get rebranded into the red/blue corporate livery as Go Gateshead, Go Northern etc. Was there ever a Go VFM Buses, or had that been discontinued by then?

- When did those names get phased out and combined as Go North East?

- When did the route branding era start?

MurdnunoC

13 Feb 2022, 9:39 pm #2
For the first question, it would have been around 1988/89 from memory.

For the last question, route branding was largely associated with the Peter Huntley era, however there were some attempts at route branding prior to that. Two that immediately spring to mind were 58/59 (Newcastle - Wardley/Heworth) and the B & C branded coaches which operated between Newcastle and Blackhall Mill/Chopwell. The latter occurred around 1992/93 - again from memory.
MurdnunoC
13 Feb 2022, 9:39 pm #2

For the first question, it would have been around 1988/89 from memory.

For the last question, route branding was largely associated with the Peter Huntley era, however there were some attempts at route branding prior to that. Two that immediately spring to mind were 58/59 (Newcastle - Wardley/Heworth) and the B & C branded coaches which operated between Newcastle and Blackhall Mill/Chopwell. The latter occurred around 1992/93 - again from memory.

idiot

13 Feb 2022, 9:58 pm #3
I want to say modern era branding was 2006
idiot
13 Feb 2022, 9:58 pm #3

I want to say modern era branding was 2006

Storx

14 Feb 2022, 7:43 am #4
Route 19 was one of the earliest of what is regarded the modern brandings. I believe it was a Nexus scheme with GNE though as part of Project Orpheus (it was the only bit that was built)

See: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_sHUbKJWWFg8/S-...rpheus.PNG

Rather ironic that it absolutely failed and the rest of the plans never came as some of them are borderline mental hospital territory. It makes some of the more bizarre suggestions seem sensible on here especially 'super route' 4, 20 and 24.
Storx
14 Feb 2022, 7:43 am #4

Route 19 was one of the earliest of what is regarded the modern brandings. I believe it was a Nexus scheme with GNE though as part of Project Orpheus (it was the only bit that was built)

See: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_sHUbKJWWFg8/S-...rpheus.PNG

Rather ironic that it absolutely failed and the rest of the plans never came as some of them are borderline mental hospital territory. It makes some of the more bizarre suggestions seem sensible on here especially 'super route' 4, 20 and 24.

Chris 1

14 Feb 2022, 1:07 pm #5
I had in my mind 1992 for Go Ahead Gateshead, Northern, Wear Buses etc. The big 'Northern' strike nearly finished the company, and I was always under the impression that the different companies were created to stop wholesale company wide strikes again. I'm sure the strike was 1992 but I'd have to consult the history books to check.

I agree with MurdnunoC (3 attempts it took me to type that, kept on coming out as Murdoch!); and VFM might have been replaced by Go Coastline with the advent of the Go... identity.
Chris 1
14 Feb 2022, 1:07 pm #5

I had in my mind 1992 for Go Ahead Gateshead, Northern, Wear Buses etc. The big 'Northern' strike nearly finished the company, and I was always under the impression that the different companies were created to stop wholesale company wide strikes again. I'm sure the strike was 1992 but I'd have to consult the history books to check.

I agree with MurdnunoC (3 attempts it took me to type that, kept on coming out as Murdoch!); and VFM might have been replaced by Go Coastline with the advent of the Go... identity.

Andreos1

14 Feb 2022, 1:58 pm #6
https://logos.fandom.com/wiki/Go_Wear_Buses
No idea if these dates are 100% accurate, but pretty sure they're close enough. 

I thought the strike was 91 myself. 

The local logos (Penshaw Monument in the case of Wear buses) were placed by the door if I remember correctly. 
Gateshead had the torch, Shields had Marsden Rock etc. Can't remember the other depots such as Chester or Percy Main unfortunately.

Edit. Found some more https://logos.fandom.com/wiki/Go_VFM_Buses
https://logos.fandom.com/wiki/Go_Gateshead
https://logos.fandom.com/wiki/Go_Northern
https://logos.fandom.com/wiki/Go_Coastline

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
14 Feb 2022, 1:58 pm #6

https://logos.fandom.com/wiki/Go_Wear_Buses
No idea if these dates are 100% accurate, but pretty sure they're close enough. 

I thought the strike was 91 myself. 

The local logos (Penshaw Monument in the case of Wear buses) were placed by the door if I remember correctly. 
Gateshead had the torch, Shields had Marsden Rock etc. Can't remember the other depots such as Chester or Percy Main unfortunately.

Edit. Found some more https://logos.fandom.com/wiki/Go_VFM_Buses
https://logos.fandom.com/wiki/Go_Gateshead
https://logos.fandom.com/wiki/Go_Northern
https://logos.fandom.com/wiki/Go_Coastline

Chris 1

14 Feb 2022, 2:19 pm #7
(13 Feb 2022, 9:39 pm)MurdnunoC For the first question, it would have been around 1988/89 from memory.

You've got me thinking now.  I can remember the 58/59 (there's a preserved Metrobus knocking around with that branding if it hasn't been scrapped), simple and effective I thought.  The B&C services were introduced to combat competition iirc.  Out of interest, can anyone remember which depot they operated from?

Other examples that spring to mind before route branding Huntley style, were the Western Gateshead branding on the Nationals for the 607/8/9/12 services; the Route 308 branding on the Leyland Olympians; the 53/54 branding on the Handybus Darts; the 25/6/7/8 Branding on the Lances and the 'The Way Ahead' branding on the Lances for the 124, though I'm sure there were many more.
Chris 1
14 Feb 2022, 2:19 pm #7

(13 Feb 2022, 9:39 pm)MurdnunoC For the first question, it would have been around 1988/89 from memory.

You've got me thinking now.  I can remember the 58/59 (there's a preserved Metrobus knocking around with that branding if it hasn't been scrapped), simple and effective I thought.  The B&C services were introduced to combat competition iirc.  Out of interest, can anyone remember which depot they operated from?

Other examples that spring to mind before route branding Huntley style, were the Western Gateshead branding on the Nationals for the 607/8/9/12 services; the Route 308 branding on the Leyland Olympians; the 53/54 branding on the Handybus Darts; the 25/6/7/8 Branding on the Lances and the 'The Way Ahead' branding on the Lances for the 124, though I'm sure there were many more.

14 Feb 2022, 5:47 pm #8
Go-Ahead Northern mid 80s to Around 1992.

Go-Ahead Group North East (Coastline, VFM, Wear Buses etc) from 1992 to 1997.

Go North East (Original) (Go Coastline, Go VFM Buses, Go Wear Buses, Go Gateshead, Go Northern, Go Highstyle, Go Xpress, Go OK Travel) 1997 - 2006.
Go VFM became Go Coastline, Go Highstyle was sold to Classic Coaches, Go OK Travel were absorbed into various parts with Bishop Auckland becoming Go Northern, Go Xpress was phased out.

Peter Huntley Era (Route Brandings) 2006 - 2011.

Kevin Carr Era (Red Uprise) 2011 - 2018

Martijn Gilbert Era (Roadstripes) 2018 - ?

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
14 Feb 2022, 5:47 pm #8

Go-Ahead Northern mid 80s to Around 1992.

Go-Ahead Group North East (Coastline, VFM, Wear Buses etc) from 1992 to 1997.

Go North East (Original) (Go Coastline, Go VFM Buses, Go Wear Buses, Go Gateshead, Go Northern, Go Highstyle, Go Xpress, Go OK Travel) 1997 - 2006.
Go VFM became Go Coastline, Go Highstyle was sold to Classic Coaches, Go OK Travel were absorbed into various parts with Bishop Auckland becoming Go Northern, Go Xpress was phased out.

Peter Huntley Era (Route Brandings) 2006 - 2011.

Kevin Carr Era (Red Uprise) 2011 - 2018

Martijn Gilbert Era (Roadstripes) 2018 - ?

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

IRHardy

20 Feb 2022, 10:23 am #9
The Autobus Review book "Northern and its subsidiaries" published in 1995 gives a very good history of Northern General from the 1880s up until the mid 1990s: https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookD...1089679833&cm_sp=rec-_-pd_hw_i_1-_-bdp&reftag=pd_hw_i_1.

5 new subsidiaries were created in Jan 1991:
The Northern General Transport Co. Ltd. - Chester-le-Street, Consett & Stanley
The Tyneside Omnibus Co Ltd. (trading as South Tyne Buses) – South Shields
The Tynemouth & District Omnibus Co. (trading as Coastline Buses) – Percy Main & Wallsend
The Sunderland & District Omnibus Co. (trading as Wear Buses) – Sunderland, Philadelphia & Washington
The Gateshead & District Omnibus Co. (trading as Go-Ahead Gateshead) – Gateshead & Winlaton

During 1992 the new brands were introduced but Tyneside Omnibus Co Ltd. rebranded their ops as VFM rather than South Tyne Buses, and Northern General Transport Co. Ltd. rebranded their ops as Northern.
IRHardy
20 Feb 2022, 10:23 am #9

The Autobus Review book "Northern and its subsidiaries" published in 1995 gives a very good history of Northern General from the 1880s up until the mid 1990s: https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookD...1089679833&cm_sp=rec-_-pd_hw_i_1-_-bdp&reftag=pd_hw_i_1.

5 new subsidiaries were created in Jan 1991:
The Northern General Transport Co. Ltd. - Chester-le-Street, Consett & Stanley
The Tyneside Omnibus Co Ltd. (trading as South Tyne Buses) – South Shields
The Tynemouth & District Omnibus Co. (trading as Coastline Buses) – Percy Main & Wallsend
The Sunderland & District Omnibus Co. (trading as Wear Buses) – Sunderland, Philadelphia & Washington
The Gateshead & District Omnibus Co. (trading as Go-Ahead Gateshead) – Gateshead & Winlaton

During 1992 the new brands were introduced but Tyneside Omnibus Co Ltd. rebranded their ops as VFM rather than South Tyne Buses, and Northern General Transport Co. Ltd. rebranded their ops as Northern.

Wybus

20 Feb 2022, 10:58 pm #10
How did the Metro Taxis brand fit in in that 1990s period? I believe it ran out of Percy Main depot?
Wybus
20 Feb 2022, 10:58 pm #10

How did the Metro Taxis brand fit in in that 1990s period? I believe it ran out of Percy Main depot?

busmanT

21 Feb 2022, 9:56 pm #11
(20 Feb 2022, 10:58 pm)Wybus How did the Metro Taxis brand fit in in that 1990s period? I believe it ran out of Percy Main depot?

Go Ahead dabbled in pubs and taxis in the early 90s. Metro Taxis was a taxi company they owned which became a low cost bus operator - I recall them running a minibus on an M10 Newcastle to Ryton and AN68/ECW on the 17 between North Shields Ferry and Whitley Bay.
busmanT
21 Feb 2022, 9:56 pm #11

(20 Feb 2022, 10:58 pm)Wybus How did the Metro Taxis brand fit in in that 1990s period? I believe it ran out of Percy Main depot?

Go Ahead dabbled in pubs and taxis in the early 90s. Metro Taxis was a taxi company they owned which became a low cost bus operator - I recall them running a minibus on an M10 Newcastle to Ryton and AN68/ECW on the 17 between North Shields Ferry and Whitley Bay.

MurdnunoC

21 Feb 2022, 10:10 pm #12
(21 Feb 2022, 9:56 pm)busmanT Go Ahead dabbled in pubs and taxis in the early 90s. Metro Taxis was a taxi company they owned which became a low cost bus operator - I recall them running a minibus on an M10 Newcastle to Ryton and AN68/ECW on the 17 between North Shields Ferry and Whitley Bay.

I think the M10 initially started as competition to Derwent's CC1 which had been extended from Ryton into Newcastle via Blaydon and Scotswood Road. Once the CC1 had been curtailed back to Blaydon (operating as a circular service with the CC2), the M10 was rerouted between Blaydon and Ryton via Black Lane and Stargate. It lasted for, perhaps, a year or so in that guise, before the Blaydon and Ryton section was eventually replaced by the M23 in later years.
MurdnunoC
21 Feb 2022, 10:10 pm #12

(21 Feb 2022, 9:56 pm)busmanT Go Ahead dabbled in pubs and taxis in the early 90s. Metro Taxis was a taxi company they owned which became a low cost bus operator - I recall them running a minibus on an M10 Newcastle to Ryton and AN68/ECW on the 17 between North Shields Ferry and Whitley Bay.

I think the M10 initially started as competition to Derwent's CC1 which had been extended from Ryton into Newcastle via Blaydon and Scotswood Road. Once the CC1 had been curtailed back to Blaydon (operating as a circular service with the CC2), the M10 was rerouted between Blaydon and Ryton via Black Lane and Stargate. It lasted for, perhaps, a year or so in that guise, before the Blaydon and Ryton section was eventually replaced by the M23 in later years.

Mark1

21 Feb 2022, 10:31 pm #13
They ran a 33 using old coaches between boldon Asda and heworth supplementing the vfm 533.
Mark1
21 Feb 2022, 10:31 pm #13

They ran a 33 using old coaches between boldon Asda and heworth supplementing the vfm 533.

MurdnunoC

21 Feb 2022, 10:35 pm #14
They also did the 'Care Bus' services using converted Mk1 Nationals, IIRC.
MurdnunoC
21 Feb 2022, 10:35 pm #14

They also did the 'Care Bus' services using converted Mk1 Nationals, IIRC.

Wybus

14 Mar 2022, 11:21 pm #15
Another question - during the first part of the route branding era, so around 2006-2010, was there actually a ‘current’ corporate /standard livery for GNE, i.e one that buses were actively still being repainted into or was it just a case of the previous red/blue livery sticking around on non repainted buses.

I’m talking before they introduced the overall red ‘Northern’ livery for spare buses
Wybus
14 Mar 2022, 11:21 pm #15

Another question - during the first part of the route branding era, so around 2006-2010, was there actually a ‘current’ corporate /standard livery for GNE, i.e one that buses were actively still being repainted into or was it just a case of the previous red/blue livery sticking around on non repainted buses.

I’m talking before they introduced the overall red ‘Northern’ livery for spare buses

Ambassador

15 Mar 2022, 11:29 am #16
X66 Supershuttle was branded from the early 90s with the Optare Deltas and then the later DAFs - I have in my mind that the Leyland Nationals were in X66 livery too but they may not have been - I couldn't find a pic of one.

I guess there was also Superliner in the early 90s and Expresslink in the late 80s (you could argue they are the 'parents' of what is now X-Lines)

As they are technically owned by Go Ahead - the Low Fell Coaches 'Cross Tyne' service pre-dated most of GNE's efforts

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
15 Mar 2022, 11:29 am #16

X66 Supershuttle was branded from the early 90s with the Optare Deltas and then the later DAFs - I have in my mind that the Leyland Nationals were in X66 livery too but they may not have been - I couldn't find a pic of one.

I guess there was also Superliner in the early 90s and Expresslink in the late 80s (you could argue they are the 'parents' of what is now X-Lines)

As they are technically owned by Go Ahead - the Low Fell Coaches 'Cross Tyne' service pre-dated most of GNE's efforts

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

cbma06

15 Mar 2022, 12:35 pm #17
(15 Mar 2022, 11:29 am)Ambassador X66 Supershuttle was branded from the early 90s with the Optare Deltas and then the later DAFs - I have in my mind that the Leyland Nationals were in X66 livery too but they may not have been - I couldn't find a pic of one.

I’m sure the x66 supershuttle livery was first on the leyland nationals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
15 Mar 2022, 12:35 pm #17

(15 Mar 2022, 11:29 am)Ambassador X66 Supershuttle was branded from the early 90s with the Optare Deltas and then the later DAFs - I have in my mind that the Leyland Nationals were in X66 livery too but they may not have been - I couldn't find a pic of one.

I’m sure the x66 supershuttle livery was first on the leyland nationals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris 1

15 Mar 2022, 12:38 pm #18

The Nationals before the DAFs were indeed in the X66 Supershuttle livery.  Very smart it was as well.  They also repainted the skirt green and used them as Garden Festival Shuttles for the duration of that.  Sticking with the Metrocentre, there was also the MetroCentre Minis.

(14 Mar 2022, 11:21 pm)Wybus Another question - during the first part of the route branding era, so around 2006-2010, was there actually a ‘current’ corporate /standard livery for GNE, i.e one that buses were actively still being repainted into or was it just a case of the previous red/blue livery sticking around on non repainted buses.

Not sure if there was an official strategy, as it were, but from memory it seemed like they painted bus by route/brand out of the red/blue/yellow livery into whatever the new brand was.  Spare vehicles were painted white, with most gaining overall adverts for GNE tickets, fares etc.

'Northern' was brought in a bit later as a residual brand for vehicles on services that didn't receive 'proper' brands.
Edited 15 Mar 2022, 12:42 pm by Chris 1.
Chris 1
15 Mar 2022, 12:38 pm #18

The Nationals before the DAFs were indeed in the X66 Supershuttle livery.  Very smart it was as well.  They also repainted the skirt green and used them as Garden Festival Shuttles for the duration of that.  Sticking with the Metrocentre, there was also the MetroCentre Minis.

(14 Mar 2022, 11:21 pm)Wybus Another question - during the first part of the route branding era, so around 2006-2010, was there actually a ‘current’ corporate /standard livery for GNE, i.e one that buses were actively still being repainted into or was it just a case of the previous red/blue livery sticking around on non repainted buses.

Not sure if there was an official strategy, as it were, but from memory it seemed like they painted bus by route/brand out of the red/blue/yellow livery into whatever the new brand was.  Spare vehicles were painted white, with most gaining overall adverts for GNE tickets, fares etc.

'Northern' was brought in a bit later as a residual brand for vehicles on services that didn't receive 'proper' brands.

Andreos1

15 Mar 2022, 12:57 pm #19
(15 Mar 2022, 12:38 pm)Chris 1 The Nationals before the DAFs were indeed in the X66 Supershuttle livery.  Very smart it was as well.  They also repainted the skirt green and used them as Garden Festival Shuttles for the duration of that.  Sticking with the Metrocentre, there was also the MetroCentre Minis.

Think they blamed the credit crunch for companies not buying adverts on the white spares. Plus white not looking very good when the roads were mucky.
Pretty sure both reasons were used when the red Northern branding appeared.

Then said that nobody knew who Northern were...

Andreos1
15 Mar 2022, 12:57 pm #19

(15 Mar 2022, 12:38 pm)Chris 1 The Nationals before the DAFs were indeed in the X66 Supershuttle livery.  Very smart it was as well.  They also repainted the skirt green and used them as Garden Festival Shuttles for the duration of that.  Sticking with the Metrocentre, there was also the MetroCentre Minis.

Think they blamed the credit crunch for companies not buying adverts on the white spares. Plus white not looking very good when the roads were mucky.
Pretty sure both reasons were used when the red Northern branding appeared.

Then said that nobody knew who Northern were...

15 Mar 2022, 2:46 pm #20

I think (but I could be totally wrong nonetheless) that the bus side of Metro Taxis could have been between 1992 and 1995 when the low cost / PTE subsidised services they ran seemed to pass over to OK Travel post takeover. I believe they had the once a day X16 north of the Tyne which did the Metro Taxis - Ok Travel - Go Gateshead transition before being discontinued. Not sure if it was Percy Main or out of Wallsend depot pre closure

The taxi side lasted a lot longer based out of Worswick St Bus Station IIRC
anvil1984
15 Mar 2022, 2:46 pm #20

I think (but I could be totally wrong nonetheless) that the bus side of Metro Taxis could have been between 1992 and 1995 when the low cost / PTE subsidised services they ran seemed to pass over to OK Travel post takeover. I believe they had the once a day X16 north of the Tyne which did the Metro Taxis - Ok Travel - Go Gateshead transition before being discontinued. Not sure if it was Percy Main or out of Wallsend depot pre closure

The taxi side lasted a lot longer based out of Worswick St Bus Station IIRC

Pages (2) 1 2 Next

• 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average