Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Bygone Era Nostalgia - Deregulation 1986

Nostalgia - Deregulation 1986

Nostalgia - Deregulation 1986

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Pages (2): 1 2 Next
LVK 404L

08 Mar 2022, 7:06 pm #1
Heres one for us older members of the forum.

I've just been remembering some of the services and operators that came about on or around deregulation October 1986.

Obviously you have the main operators and some of the well known independents such as

OK Travel
Low Fell Coaches
Catch a Bus
Resby Coaches
Hunters

But there are a couple that I can remember but unable to locate details on Google search etc.

These are

North Eastern Buses 
Trojan Travel

Both of these operated in a livery similar to NBC green at the time.

North Eastern operated services in the Gateshead area numbered 91/92 I believe and operated similar to 93/94 loop, so will have been a competition service 

Trojan operated as the Trojan Outer Circle (not sure if there was an inner circle) and this was Heworth to Washington.

Any one remember these and got any info on them?

NB. I may have queried this many moons ago but can't remember responses and can't work out how to direct search either scrolling through everything
LVK 404L
08 Mar 2022, 7:06 pm #1

Heres one for us older members of the forum.

I've just been remembering some of the services and operators that came about on or around deregulation October 1986.

Obviously you have the main operators and some of the well known independents such as

OK Travel
Low Fell Coaches
Catch a Bus
Resby Coaches
Hunters

But there are a couple that I can remember but unable to locate details on Google search etc.

These are

North Eastern Buses 
Trojan Travel

North Eastern operated services in the Gateshead area numbered 91/92 I believe and operated similar to 93/94 loop, so will have been a competition service 

Trojan operated as the Trojan Outer Circle (not sure if there was an inner circle) and this was Heworth to Washington.

NB. I may have queried this many moons ago but can't remember responses and can't work out how to direct search either scrolling through everything

Charles41

08 Mar 2022, 7:30 pm #2
(08 Mar 2022, 7:06 pm)ifm001 Heres one for us older members of the forum.

OK Travel
Low Fell Coaches
Catch a Bus
Resby Coaches
Hunters

These are

North Eastern Buses 
Trojan Travel

North Eastern were based on the Team Valley at BRS. Altona were based there too. North Eastern ran the 92 Gateshead to Kibblesworth route.

Trojan's route was basically a works service serving the industrial estates at Washington. Anyone could use it though. I did it in the late 1980s. The driver was the owner and he seemed to know most of the passengers. A lot of them seemed to work at a textiles plant. The service went all the way around Washington. I remember getting off at Concord and photographing the coach. He only had two vehicles.

Charles
Charles41
08 Mar 2022, 7:30 pm #2

OK Travel
Low Fell Coaches
Catch a Bus
Resby Coaches
Hunters

These are

North Eastern Buses 
Trojan Travel

North Eastern were based on the Team Valley at BRS. Altona were based there too. North Eastern ran the 92 Gateshead to Kibblesworth route.

Trojan's route was basically a works service serving the industrial estates at Washington. Anyone could use it though. I did it in the late 1980s. The driver was the owner and he seemed to know most of the passengers. A lot of them seemed to work at a textiles plant. The service went all the way around Washington. I remember getting off at Concord and photographing the coach. He only had two vehicles.

Charles

busmanT

08 Mar 2022, 8:38 pm #3
(08 Mar 2022, 7:30 pm)Charles41 North Eastern were based on the Team Valley at BRS. Altona were based there too. North Eastern ran the 92 Gateshead to Kibblesworth route.

Charles

Wasn't North Eastern formed by ex drivers?
busmanT
08 Mar 2022, 8:38 pm #3

(08 Mar 2022, 7:30 pm)Charles41 North Eastern were based on the Team Valley at BRS. Altona were based there too. North Eastern ran the 92 Gateshead to Kibblesworth route.

Charles

Wasn't North Eastern formed by ex drivers?

Andreos1

08 Mar 2022, 9:48 pm #4

OK Travel
Low Fell Coaches
Catch a Bus
Resby Coaches
Hunters

These are

North Eastern Buses 
Trojan Travel

There was conversation in another part of the forum and I think it was North Eastern that was mentioned then.

It came about when I queried an independent that I used a few times from the Southend Road/Whinlatter Gardens area and I think it was MurdnunoC who solved that mystery.
Cant remember much about them, other than the saloon was always a mess. 
Didn't last long, hence the poor memories.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
08 Mar 2022, 9:48 pm #4

OK Travel
Low Fell Coaches
Catch a Bus
Resby Coaches
Hunters

These are

North Eastern Buses 
Trojan Travel

There was conversation in another part of the forum and I think it was North Eastern that was mentioned then.

It came about when I queried an independent that I used a few times from the Southend Road/Whinlatter Gardens area and I think it was MurdnunoC who solved that mystery.
Cant remember much about them, other than the saloon was always a mess. 
Didn't last long, hence the poor memories.

MurdnunoC

08 Mar 2022, 10:12 pm #5
North Eastern also ran the 91, formerly, the 647 between Newcastle and Lobley Hill but curtailed at Gateshead.

Other services off the top of my head were:

606: Clara Vale - Metrocentre - Gateshead
634: Hole-in-the-Wall Estate - Metrocentre - Dunston
635: Hole-in-the-Wall Estate - Newcastle

I think I may have posted the timetable to the 634 elsewhere on the forum.
MurdnunoC
08 Mar 2022, 10:12 pm #5

North Eastern also ran the 91, formerly, the 647 between Newcastle and Lobley Hill but curtailed at Gateshead.

Other services off the top of my head were:

606: Clara Vale - Metrocentre - Gateshead
634: Hole-in-the-Wall Estate - Metrocentre - Dunston
635: Hole-in-the-Wall Estate - Newcastle

I think I may have posted the timetable to the 634 elsewhere on the forum.

08 Mar 2022, 11:22 pm #6
Other operators include
Moor Dale
Classic, Annfield Plain
I think A-Line started services around that time.
Jolly in Sunderland
Andersons of Westerhope.
Calvary Coaches

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
08 Mar 2022, 11:22 pm #6

Other operators include
Moor Dale
Classic, Annfield Plain
Jolly in Sunderland
Andersons of Westerhope.
Calvary Coaches

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

Mark1

09 Mar 2022, 9:16 am #7
(08 Mar 2022, 11:22 pm)Rapidsnap Other operators include
Moor Dale
Classic, Annfield Plain
Jolly in Sunderland
Andersons of Westerhope.
Calvary Coaches
Was Moor Dale owned by arriva/Northumbria?

Did arriva/TGM sell classic to JH coaches or did JH just take on extra work following the closure?
Mark1
09 Mar 2022, 9:16 am #7

(08 Mar 2022, 11:22 pm)Rapidsnap Other operators include
Moor Dale
Classic, Annfield Plain
Jolly in Sunderland
Andersons of Westerhope.
Calvary Coaches
Was Moor Dale owned by arriva/Northumbria?

Did arriva/TGM sell classic to JH coaches or did JH just take on extra work following the closure?

09 Mar 2022, 9:40 am #8
(09 Mar 2022, 9:16 am)Mark1 Was Moor Dale owned by arriva/Northumbria?

Eventually it was along with Rotchester and Marshall (R +M). There was also the short lived Easyway in Gateshead soon sent packing by the Big Orange Mk2 Nationals of Go Ahead and I am suprised no one has mantioned TMS/ Tyne & Wear omnibus. there was also Welcome and South Durham Buses.
ian foster
09 Mar 2022, 9:40 am #8

Eventually it was along with Rotchester and Marshall (R +M). There was also the short lived Easyway in Gateshead soon sent packing by the Big Orange Mk2 Nationals of Go Ahead and I am suprised no one has mantioned TMS/ Tyne & Wear omnibus. there was also Welcome and South Durham Buses.

09 Mar 2022, 10:29 am #9
These operators existed on both sides of deregulation:

In the Nexus area: Jolly (Sunderland) Economic (Whitburn). Coming into Newcastle from Northumberland: Vasey (Otterburn), Wrights (Nenthead), Gold Leaf (Wooler).

Services within  Northumberland: R&M (Hexham and to the north-east), Snaith (Otterburn), Rothbury Motors (Rothbury), Northern Garage (Bellingham to Kielder), Raisbeck (Bedlington local), Crown (Morpeth), Tyne Valley (Hexham and north -west), Pattersons (Beadnell), Wansbeck (Ashington), Craiggs (Amble). There were also several other operators who ran school services within Northumberland which were open to the public.
Ex-conductor
09 Mar 2022, 10:29 am #9

These operators existed on both sides of deregulation:

In the Nexus area: Jolly (Sunderland) Economic (Whitburn). Coming into Newcastle from Northumberland: Vasey (Otterburn), Wrights (Nenthead), Gold Leaf (Wooler).

Services within  Northumberland: R&M (Hexham and to the north-east), Snaith (Otterburn), Rothbury Motors (Rothbury), Northern Garage (Bellingham to Kielder), Raisbeck (Bedlington local), Crown (Morpeth), Tyne Valley (Hexham and north -west), Pattersons (Beadnell), Wansbeck (Ashington), Craiggs (Amble). There were also several other operators who ran school services within Northumberland which were open to the public.

Chris 1

09 Mar 2022, 12:37 pm #10

Moor Dale, and it's associated company Rochester & Marshall were acquired by Proudmutual Holdings in December 1989.  Produmutual was the holding company for Northumbria Motor Services.

Moor Dale had no stage carriage work prior to deregulation, most of their work was schools, works & private hire.  At de-reg they won a number of services on tender from Tyne & Wear PTE.

I'm not entirely sure on the whole history behind JH, though I believe the former owners of Classic Coaches bought Jim Hughes coaches, ultimately becoming the modern day JH coaches.
Chris 1
09 Mar 2022, 12:37 pm #10

Moor Dale, and it's associated company Rochester & Marshall were acquired by Proudmutual Holdings in December 1989.  Produmutual was the holding company for Northumbria Motor Services.

Moor Dale had no stage carriage work prior to deregulation, most of their work was schools, works & private hire.  At de-reg they won a number of services on tender from Tyne & Wear PTE.

I'm not entirely sure on the whole history behind JH, though I believe the former owners of Classic Coaches bought Jim Hughes coaches, ultimately becoming the modern day JH coaches.

Ambassador

09 Mar 2022, 11:37 pm #11
Moor Dale were for a long time Newcastle Uniteds official travel partner and had the team coach and supporters club contract during most of the 90s.

I remember Welcome Buses as well who were the catalyst for Stagecoach bringing in Magic Bus on Tyneside and Stagecoach finally bought out Welcome.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
09 Mar 2022, 11:37 pm #11

Moor Dale were for a long time Newcastle Uniteds official travel partner and had the team coach and supporters club contract during most of the 90s.

I remember Welcome Buses as well who were the catalyst for Stagecoach bringing in Magic Bus on Tyneside and Stagecoach finally bought out Welcome.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

10 Mar 2022, 12:14 am #12
(09 Mar 2022, 11:37 pm)Ambassador Moor Dale were for a long time Newcastle Uniteds official travel partner and had the team coach and supporters club contract during most of the 90s.

Welcome was a good few years before Magic Bus - Busways had taken over Welcome in 1993 (prior to Stagecoach era) and discontinued the name in 1995.  Magic Bus didn't come on the scene until 1997.
stagecoachbusdepot
10 Mar 2022, 12:14 am #12

(09 Mar 2022, 11:37 pm)Ambassador Moor Dale were for a long time Newcastle Uniteds official travel partner and had the team coach and supporters club contract during most of the 90s.

Welcome was a good few years before Magic Bus - Busways had taken over Welcome in 1993 (prior to Stagecoach era) and discontinued the name in 1995.  Magic Bus didn't come on the scene until 1997.

cbma06

10 Mar 2022, 8:05 am #13
(10 Mar 2022, 12:14 am)stagecoachbusdepot Welcome was a good few years before Magic Bus - Busways had taken over Welcome in 1993 (prior to Stagecoach era) and discontinued the name in 1995.  Magic Bus didn't come on the scene until 1997.

The money there got from purchasing welcome passenger transport was used to set up HMB and used a depot at Felling then there started Welco and there had the old Jolly Bus depot at South Hylton and operated the W20/W21 plus other services in Sunderland and Newcastle, South Hylton had a good bus services through those years with busways having the 8/9/9A and have buses in front of welco with the 8A/20A and 20B, and northern having a couple of double deckers on the 126 in front of Welco W21 as that went up Chester road and Nookside then down to South Hylton , if I remember rightly magic bus started up in Newcastle for competition against HMB buses, I think old welcome depot was just around the corner of saltmeadows depot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
10 Mar 2022, 8:05 am #13

(10 Mar 2022, 12:14 am)stagecoachbusdepot Welcome was a good few years before Magic Bus - Busways had taken over Welcome in 1993 (prior to Stagecoach era) and discontinued the name in 1995.  Magic Bus didn't come on the scene until 1997.

The money there got from purchasing welcome passenger transport was used to set up HMB and used a depot at Felling then there started Welco and there had the old Jolly Bus depot at South Hylton and operated the W20/W21 plus other services in Sunderland and Newcastle, South Hylton had a good bus services through those years with busways having the 8/9/9A and have buses in front of welco with the 8A/20A and 20B, and northern having a couple of double deckers on the 126 in front of Welco W21 as that went up Chester road and Nookside then down to South Hylton , if I remember rightly magic bus started up in Newcastle for competition against HMB buses, I think old welcome depot was just around the corner of saltmeadows depot

Chris 1

10 Mar 2022, 1:02 pm #14
Yeah, I think the Welcome depot was further along Saltmeadows Road. The CPS Haulage yard rings a bell. Anyone remember where the HMB depot was?
Chris 1
10 Mar 2022, 1:02 pm #14

Yeah, I think the Welcome depot was further along Saltmeadows Road. The CPS Haulage yard rings a bell. Anyone remember where the HMB depot was?

cbma06

10 Mar 2022, 1:10 pm #15
(10 Mar 2022, 1:02 pm)Chris 1 Yeah, I think the Welcome depot was further along Saltmeadows Road. The CPS Haulage yard rings a bell. Anyone remember where the HMB depot was?

Felling, I remember walking past it seeing some of the minibuses in black and white for Newcastle area and red and white for Sunderland area

cbma06
10 Mar 2022, 1:10 pm #15

(10 Mar 2022, 1:02 pm)Chris 1 Yeah, I think the Welcome depot was further along Saltmeadows Road. The CPS Haulage yard rings a bell. Anyone remember where the HMB depot was?

Felling, I remember walking past it seeing some of the minibuses in black and white for Newcastle area and red and white for Sunderland area

Andreos1

10 Mar 2022, 2:44 pm #16
(10 Mar 2022, 1:02 pm)Chris 1 Yeah, I think the Welcome depot was further along Saltmeadows Road.  The CPS  Haulage yard rings a bell.  Anyone remember where the HMB depot was?
I'm sure Altona were around there somewhere too. Certainly late 90s/early 00's.

Andreos1
10 Mar 2022, 2:44 pm #16

(10 Mar 2022, 1:02 pm)Chris 1 Yeah, I think the Welcome depot was further along Saltmeadows Road.  The CPS  Haulage yard rings a bell.  Anyone remember where the HMB depot was?
I'm sure Altona were around there somewhere too. Certainly late 90s/early 00's.

Mark1

10 Mar 2022, 3:30 pm #17
Catch a bus seemed to do alright in South shields always an interesting fleet. 

The end was always coming when they started introducing services like the 48 and C20 against the established busways 18 and X20. Had Stagecoach taken over busways when catch a bus were still around?

Were catch a bus based next to east Boldon metro station?
Mark1
10 Mar 2022, 3:30 pm #17

Catch a bus seemed to do alright in South shields always an interesting fleet. 

The end was always coming when they started introducing services like the 48 and C20 against the established busways 18 and X20. Had Stagecoach taken over busways when catch a bus were still around?

MurdnunoC

10 Mar 2022, 3:44 pm #18
(10 Mar 2022, 3:30 pm)Mark1 Catch a bus seemed to do alright in South shields always an interesting fleet. 

Catch a Bus were Hylton Castle Coaches, IIRC.
MurdnunoC
10 Mar 2022, 3:44 pm #18

(10 Mar 2022, 3:30 pm)Mark1 Catch a bus seemed to do alright in South shields always an interesting fleet. 

Catch a Bus were Hylton Castle Coaches, IIRC.

cbma06

10 Mar 2022, 3:50 pm #19

Busways tried and failed to get catch a bus off the roads, when stagecoach took over there still didn’t budge, so stagecoach put dupes on dupes in front of every catch a bus service until there started to run empty and ceased bus service operations

cbma06
10 Mar 2022, 3:50 pm #19

Busways tried and failed to get catch a bus off the roads, when stagecoach took over there still didn’t budge, so stagecoach put dupes on dupes in front of every catch a bus service until there started to run empty and ceased bus service operations

GuyParkRoyal

10 Mar 2022, 3:53 pm #20
HMB was on the west side of Green Lane, Felling next to F Short Haulage.
GuyParkRoyal
10 Mar 2022, 3:53 pm #20

HMB was on the west side of Green Lane, Felling next to F Short Haulage.

Pages (2): 1 2 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average