Menu

North East Buses The Bus Scene Elsewhere Bus Events (Elsewhere) Leyland National 50

Leyland National 50

Leyland National 50

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

Malarkey

06 Apr 2022, 12:10 pm #1
To celebrate the joint 50 year anniversaries of the Leyland National and the Lillyhall factory we are organising a unique FREE EVENT, LN50, to take place in Whitehaven on the Bank Holiday weekend of 30th April to 1st May, 2022. We anticipate a large selection of vehicles to be either on display along the historic harbour side or running free services round the town and further afield. This will include one of the largest gatherings of Leyland Nationals since the factory closed, comprising vehicles from the earliest to the latest, with a few one-off surprises, and our own collection. There will be other Leyland types too, from Atlanteans to Olympians, a selection of historic, preserved Cumberland vehicles and an emphasis of buses from the major groupings at the time of the Leyland National’s heyday - in particular from the National Bus Company and the PTEs that ran services in the our major conurbations.

https://www.facebook.com/events/whitehav...303199712/
Malarkey
06 Apr 2022, 12:10 pm #1

To celebrate the joint 50 year anniversaries of the Leyland National and the Lillyhall factory we are organising a unique FREE EVENT, LN50, to take place in Whitehaven on the Bank Holiday weekend of 30th April to 1st May, 2022. We anticipate a large selection of vehicles to be either on display along the historic harbour side or running free services round the town and further afield. This will include one of the largest gatherings of Leyland Nationals since the factory closed, comprising vehicles from the earliest to the latest, with a few one-off surprises, and our own collection. There will be other Leyland types too, from Atlanteans to Olympians, a selection of historic, preserved Cumberland vehicles and an emphasis of buses from the major groupings at the time of the Leyland National’s heyday - in particular from the National Bus Company and the PTEs that ran services in the our major conurbations.

Train8261

06 Apr 2022, 4:18 pm #2
(06 Apr 2022, 12:10 pm)Malarkey To celebrate the joint 50 year anniversaries of the Leyland National and the Lillyhall factory we are organising a unique FREE EVENT, LN50, to take place in Whitehaven on the Bank Holiday weekend of 30th April to 1st May, 2022. We anticipate a large selection of vehicles to be either on display along the historic harbour side or running free services round the town and further afield. This will include one of the largest gatherings of Leyland Nationals since the factory closed, comprising vehicles from the earliest to the latest, with a few one-off surprises, and our own collection. There will be other Leyland types too, from Atlanteans to Olympians, a selection of historic, preserved Cumberland vehicles and an emphasis of buses from the major groupings at the time of the Leyland National’s heyday - in particular from the National Bus Company and the PTEs that ran services in the our major conurbations.

Wait hang on there hasn't been a thread about this. I'm surprised this is being done now since it's been talked about since late last year. I heard about it in October
Train8261
06 Apr 2022, 4:18 pm #2

(06 Apr 2022, 12:10 pm)Malarkey To celebrate the joint 50 year anniversaries of the Leyland National and the Lillyhall factory we are organising a unique FREE EVENT, LN50, to take place in Whitehaven on the Bank Holiday weekend of 30th April to 1st May, 2022. We anticipate a large selection of vehicles to be either on display along the historic harbour side or running free services round the town and further afield. This will include one of the largest gatherings of Leyland Nationals since the factory closed, comprising vehicles from the earliest to the latest, with a few one-off surprises, and our own collection. There will be other Leyland types too, from Atlanteans to Olympians, a selection of historic, preserved Cumberland vehicles and an emphasis of buses from the major groupings at the time of the Leyland National’s heyday - in particular from the National Bus Company and the PTEs that ran services in the our major conurbations.

Wait hang on there hasn't been a thread about this. I'm surprised this is being done now since it's been talked about since late last year. I heard about it in October

Malarkey

07 Apr 2022, 6:21 pm #3
(06 Apr 2022, 4:18 pm)Train8261 Wait hang on there hasn't been a thread about this. I'm surprised this is being done now since it's been talked about since late last year. I heard about it in October

I'd seen advert someone shared regarding it on Twitter and i'm heading down for the day on the Saturday.
Malarkey
07 Apr 2022, 6:21 pm #3

(06 Apr 2022, 4:18 pm)Train8261 Wait hang on there hasn't been a thread about this. I'm surprised this is being done now since it's been talked about since late last year. I heard about it in October

I'd seen advert someone shared regarding it on Twitter and i'm heading down for the day on the Saturday.

Malarkey

25 Apr 2022, 5:46 pm #4
Anyone going to this over the weekend?
Malarkey
25 Apr 2022, 5:46 pm #4

Anyone going to this over the weekend?

01 May 2022, 7:47 am #5
Having being on leave over the past few weeks, I was handed back my passport and received permission from the offices of our Dear Leaders to travel back to the United Kingdom for the purposes of leisure and merriment. Upon landing at the Carlisle and Lakes Airport, I noticed a flyer advertising this event and decided to pop along and sample what was on offer.

I think this was my first time in Whitehaven - although I have passed through the town on train. It is a congested, narrow, and hilly place with housing stock that wouldn't look out of place in a depressing film or television drama set in the 1980s. While the town seems to contain its fair share of amenities, it comes across as run down, or at least that's the impression I was left with.

Upon arrival I saw an Olympian being directed onto the harbour before having to do a convoluted three-point turn whilst cars were inexplicably attempted to squeeze by either side of the vehicle without being prevented from doing so by the stewards. I also saw the same vehicle attempting a similar manoeuvre into a tight car-park near Tesco where buses were parked between runs. There were also complaints about how drivers were getting lost, or taking too much time, on runs going around the town because they were unfamiliar with the area, which suggests the some of the logistics of the event could have been better prepared or organised.

All that aside, the buses on display were in top condition and there was a chance to ride various types buses around the town centre, in addition to other destinations such as the Park and Ride site, and the former Leyland factory at Lillyhall. I found the latter a bit underwhelming, in all honesty. While I appreciate it may have been the birthplace on many of the vehicles on display today, the site itself is mostly derelict and looks like an abandoned wasteland littered with empty industrial units. Possibly not the best destination to bring casual attendees of the event although, as I understand, it is due to be demolished soon so, perhaps, it was the last chance to see the former shell of the Leyland production line.

Criticisms aside, it was a decent day out and a relief from the daily pressures of life in downtown Pyongyang.
Clifton Hignett III
01 May 2022, 7:47 am #5

Having being on leave over the past few weeks, I was handed back my passport and received permission from the offices of our Dear Leaders to travel back to the United Kingdom for the purposes of leisure and merriment. Upon landing at the Carlisle and Lakes Airport, I noticed a flyer advertising this event and decided to pop along and sample what was on offer.

I think this was my first time in Whitehaven - although I have passed through the town on train. It is a congested, narrow, and hilly place with housing stock that wouldn't look out of place in a depressing film or television drama set in the 1980s. While the town seems to contain its fair share of amenities, it comes across as run down, or at least that's the impression I was left with.

Upon arrival I saw an Olympian being directed onto the harbour before having to do a convoluted three-point turn whilst cars were inexplicably attempted to squeeze by either side of the vehicle without being prevented from doing so by the stewards. I also saw the same vehicle attempting a similar manoeuvre into a tight car-park near Tesco where buses were parked between runs. There were also complaints about how drivers were getting lost, or taking too much time, on runs going around the town because they were unfamiliar with the area, which suggests the some of the logistics of the event could have been better prepared or organised.

All that aside, the buses on display were in top condition and there was a chance to ride various types buses around the town centre, in addition to other destinations such as the Park and Ride site, and the former Leyland factory at Lillyhall. I found the latter a bit underwhelming, in all honesty. While I appreciate it may have been the birthplace on many of the vehicles on display today, the site itself is mostly derelict and looks like an abandoned wasteland littered with empty industrial units. Possibly not the best destination to bring casual attendees of the event although, as I understand, it is due to be demolished soon so, perhaps, it was the last chance to see the former shell of the Leyland production line.

Criticisms aside, it was a decent day out and a relief from the daily pressures of life in downtown Pyongyang.

Malarkey

01 May 2022, 3:07 pm #6
(01 May 2022, 7:47 am)Clifton Hignett III Having being on leave over the past few weeks, I was handed back my passport and received permission from the offices of our Dear Leaders to travel back to the United Kingdom for the purposes of leisure and merriment. Upon landing at the Carlisle and Lakes Airport, I noticed a flyer advertising this event and decided to pop along and sample what was on offer.

I must've been stood in close proximity to you as I trying to get a photo just before that 4x4 came up and tried to squeeze around the back, in all fairness that Olympian was too big to be parked up along the Harbour Front. Personally wasn't a fan of how the buses were parked up along this section as it was tight for photos as there was a massive footfall from the food market/tesco at either end.

I only done one run a Cumberland National up to Lillyhall Factory and that was enough for me as when I tried to get on other vehicles they were packed but I did have the joy of some nice weather on the morning given I got down their at 09:20 having got the 06:12 train out of Newcastle.

Definitely a good event with a nice selection of vehicles on display, hopefully with NNRG & THV being in attendence they'll take note from WHT on improving local rallies here in the North East, next up for me is MetroCentre which I am looking forward to as I have not done this rally since 2019 (Pre-Covid), missed it last year due to being at work, also hoping to get to North West VRT Annual Open Day on 05/06/2022 & Acton Bus Rally & Running Day on 17/07/2022.

Some photos from yesterday with some old and purchased photos in the mix - https://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalark...0298416847
Malarkey
01 May 2022, 3:07 pm #6

(01 May 2022, 7:47 am)Clifton Hignett III Having being on leave over the past few weeks, I was handed back my passport and received permission from the offices of our Dear Leaders to travel back to the United Kingdom for the purposes of leisure and merriment. Upon landing at the Carlisle and Lakes Airport, I noticed a flyer advertising this event and decided to pop along and sample what was on offer.

I must've been stood in close proximity to you as I trying to get a photo just before that 4x4 came up and tried to squeeze around the back, in all fairness that Olympian was too big to be parked up along the Harbour Front. Personally wasn't a fan of how the buses were parked up along this section as it was tight for photos as there was a massive footfall from the food market/tesco at either end.

I only done one run a Cumberland National up to Lillyhall Factory and that was enough for me as when I tried to get on other vehicles they were packed but I did have the joy of some nice weather on the morning given I got down their at 09:20 having got the 06:12 train out of Newcastle.

Definitely a good event with a nice selection of vehicles on display, hopefully with NNRG & THV being in attendence they'll take note from WHT on improving local rallies here in the North East, next up for me is MetroCentre which I am looking forward to as I have not done this rally since 2019 (Pre-Covid), missed it last year due to being at work, also hoping to get to North West VRT Annual Open Day on 05/06/2022 & Acton Bus Rally & Running Day on 17/07/2022.

Some photos from yesterday with some old and purchased photos in the mix - https://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalark...0298416847

Aaron21

23 Jan 2024, 5:13 pm #7
It's back. Leyland National 52 is here on the 4th & 5th May
Aaron21
23 Jan 2024, 5:13 pm #7

It's back. Leyland National 52 is here on the 4th & 5th May

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average