Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Driving Standards of late

Driving Standards of late

Driving Standards of late

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (6) 1 2 36 Next
Ambassador

21 Oct 2022, 11:16 am #1
Hard one to categorise this but the driving standards have really dropped a lot lately.

My EV has temporarily given in with a broken software update resorting into me needing a bus ride most days this week and I've noticed how much standards have fallen. I guess its natural since a lot of experienced good drivers have left and we've got newbies but by god....

A few from this week alone....

900 - the driver got lost twice, mounted two kerbs at a bus stop, had to reverse into a residential cul de sac and was generally in the wrong lane.

21 - 
  • coming onto High St West from the bus link - scraped all the way along the kerb. 
  • The same bus hit a roadworks sign turning onto John Dobson St 
  • Went around Gateshead Roundabout twice as didn't know the turning for Low Fell and then crawled along in the dark and rain as they were new to the route.
  • Knocked a roadworks sign off whilst turning onto the Tyne Bridge.
  • I don't know if its because they are new or if its a Streetdeck issue but without fail they all seem to be stalling or losing power at bus stops. You wait 5 minutes then get the audible fire suppression active and we're away

The poor Cannon bus stop has been whacked 3 times in a week. 

X39 - can only assume these buses are fitted with handbrakes and not normal brakes.

I get it's tough to recruit and people have to learn but I've generally no idea how some of the drivers this week got their licence and worst of all - they look equally bloody terrified as the passengers!

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
21 Oct 2022, 11:16 am #1

Hard one to categorise this but the driving standards have really dropped a lot lately.

My EV has temporarily given in with a broken software update resorting into me needing a bus ride most days this week and I've noticed how much standards have fallen. I guess its natural since a lot of experienced good drivers have left and we've got newbies but by god....

900 - the driver got lost twice, mounted two kerbs at a bus stop, had to reverse into a residential cul de sac and was generally in the wrong lane.

21 - 

• coming onto High St West from the bus link - scraped all the way along the kerb. 
  • Went around Gateshead Roundabout twice as didn't know the turning for Low Fell and then crawled along in the dark and rain as they were new to the route.
  • I don't know if its because they are new or if its a Streetdeck issue but without fail they all seem to be stalling or losing power at bus stops. You wait 5 minutes then get the audible fire suppression active and we're away

X39 - can only assume these buses are fitted with handbrakes and not normal brakes.

I get it's tough to recruit and people have to learn but I've generally no idea how some of the drivers this week got their licence and worst of all - they look equally bloody terrified as the passengers!

tcts24

21 Oct 2022, 12:21 pm #2
Sometimes drivers can just have a bad day. Mistakes do happen and human error and all that.... I drove Stagecoach 34611 for 3 hours on Wednesday and must have hit 3 or 4 curbs, then spent 4 and a half hours driving 39665 which is 0.7 meters longer without hitting anything. Just one of those days.
tcts24
21 Oct 2022, 12:21 pm #2

Sometimes drivers can just have a bad day. Mistakes do happen and human error and all that.... I drove Stagecoach 34611 for 3 hours on Wednesday and must have hit 3 or 4 curbs, then spent 4 and a half hours driving 39665 which is 0.7 meters longer without hitting anything. Just one of those days.

21 Oct 2022, 12:59 pm #3
(21 Oct 2022, 11:16 am)Ambassador Hard one to categorise this but the driving standards have really dropped a lot lately.

21 - 

I'm guessing it's just down to them still being new to the route, or even the vehicles
streetdeckfan
21 Oct 2022, 12:59 pm #3

(21 Oct 2022, 11:16 am)Ambassador Hard one to categorise this but the driving standards have really dropped a lot lately.

21 - 

I'm guessing it's just down to them still being new to the route, or even the vehicles

xpm

21 Oct 2022, 3:24 pm #4
Think the metro reps are in part at least contracted out. Even saying that, everyone can have a kerb day now and then, but shouldn't be taking out signs!

The remaining experienced drivers are probably that under pressure time and loading wise and stressed to the max, it wouldn't surprise me if the standard of driving has taken a bit of a dip, and really a lot of this comes down to the amount of unnecessary pressure they are being put under every time they start a shift.
xpm
21 Oct 2022, 3:24 pm #4

Think the metro reps are in part at least contracted out. Even saying that, everyone can have a kerb day now and then, but shouldn't be taking out signs!

The remaining experienced drivers are probably that under pressure time and loading wise and stressed to the max, it wouldn't surprise me if the standard of driving has taken a bit of a dip, and really a lot of this comes down to the amount of unnecessary pressure they are being put under every time they start a shift.

BusLoverMum

21 Oct 2022, 5:09 pm #5
Arriva aren't doing much better. Lots of new drivers, for definite, but the durham E400s seem to regularly get stuck, going round corners and I noticed that one of them has a massive gouge along it.

One of the regular X21 drivers, back when it was all streetdecks, had terrible lead feet, mind. You could guarantee at least one slamming on of the brakes when he was driving.
BusLoverMum
21 Oct 2022, 5:09 pm #5

Arriva aren't doing much better. Lots of new drivers, for definite, but the durham E400s seem to regularly get stuck, going round corners and I noticed that one of them has a massive gouge along it.

One of the regular X21 drivers, back when it was all streetdecks, had terrible lead feet, mind. You could guarantee at least one slamming on of the brakes when he was driving.

nova347

21 Oct 2022, 7:14 pm #6
The East Durham Explorers (5391-5394) have taken so much damage, and so many panels replaced between the 4 of them, I want to know how they crash so often. On one of them it looks like both sides at least half way down have been replaced.
nova347
21 Oct 2022, 7:14 pm #6

The East Durham Explorers (5391-5394) have taken so much damage, and so many panels replaced between the 4 of them, I want to know how they crash so often. On one of them it looks like both sides at least half way down have been replaced.

Unber43

21 Oct 2022, 7:16 pm #7
I have noticed the state of GNE Vehicles are really bad, especially the older Versa's & Streetlites.

And I mean the Optare interiors have an awful discolouration. Also Just the current state of GNE they clearly aren't doing any refurbs but we have Brand New StreetDecks/Branded Buses on school buses I mean there was 4 single deckers on the 56. StreetDecks & G2, E400MMC should not be used on School buses. Not to Mention the Quaycity Versas. Aswell the decals everytime I see a bus they are missing half the branded due to an incident its really a joke. And the Dest Displays you can hardly read some of the Orange ones due to how light they've became.
Unber43
21 Oct 2022, 7:16 pm #7

I have noticed the state of GNE Vehicles are really bad, especially the older Versa's & Streetlites.

And I mean the Optare interiors have an awful discolouration. Also Just the current state of GNE they clearly aren't doing any refurbs but we have Brand New StreetDecks/Branded Buses on school buses I mean there was 4 single deckers on the 56. StreetDecks & G2, E400MMC should not be used on School buses. Not to Mention the Quaycity Versas. Aswell the decals everytime I see a bus they are missing half the branded due to an incident its really a joke. And the Dest Displays you can hardly read some of the Orange ones due to how light they've became.

lxbical

21 Oct 2022, 7:58 pm #8
(21 Oct 2022, 7:16 pm)Unber43 I have noticed the state of GNE Vehicles are really bad, especially the older Versa's & Streetlites.

I believe the issue to do with the LED displays dimming is due to a unconnected / faulty light sensor as it changes the brightness of the board depending on how bright it is (but might also just be due to the LEDs exceeding / approaching their rated life)
lxbical
21 Oct 2022, 7:58 pm #8

(21 Oct 2022, 7:16 pm)Unber43 I have noticed the state of GNE Vehicles are really bad, especially the older Versa's & Streetlites.

I believe the issue to do with the LED displays dimming is due to a unconnected / faulty light sensor as it changes the brightness of the board depending on how bright it is (but might also just be due to the LEDs exceeding / approaching their rated life)

xpm

22 Oct 2022, 10:53 am #9

Not seen many recently, but the state of the fleet is pretty appalling at the moment.  But 'cheap' buying decisions from the past are coming to bite them on the ass with the streetlites, and the newer solos - you ask a fitter whether they think the newer or older solos are better - you'll be surprised at the answer.  To put it into context I'd believe even some of the ones that have been more recently withdrawn are in better running order than the newer ones that are in some cases beginning to suffer from chassis issues, and who the hell designs a bus with the quad air valve exposed right at the front of the bus - seriously!
xpm
22 Oct 2022, 10:53 am #9

Not seen many recently, but the state of the fleet is pretty appalling at the moment.  But 'cheap' buying decisions from the past are coming to bite them on the ass with the streetlites, and the newer solos - you ask a fitter whether they think the newer or older solos are better - you'll be surprised at the answer.  To put it into context I'd believe even some of the ones that have been more recently withdrawn are in better running order than the newer ones that are in some cases beginning to suffer from chassis issues, and who the hell designs a bus with the quad air valve exposed right at the front of the bus - seriously!

Unber43

22 Oct 2022, 11:06 am #10
I would rather have a Citaro O530 on the 35 than a versa which they have now. I don't care whether they have Euro 6 Engine or a Euro 5, infact the Euro 6 seems louder. The Interior are awful on the versas the seats are like sitting on rocks. Bring Back the Citaros the seats are very comfy.

Tbf the entire fleet of 11 Plate Versas & Non-Leather Streetlites Need doing desperately. Also it seems the Coaster Streetlites are the worse out of the bunch. And as for solos they seem actually quite reliable which is quite good considering the Purples get hammered multiple times daily on the A19.
Unber43
22 Oct 2022, 11:06 am #10

I would rather have a Citaro O530 on the 35 than a versa which they have now. I don't care whether they have Euro 6 Engine or a Euro 5, infact the Euro 6 seems louder. The Interior are awful on the versas the seats are like sitting on rocks. Bring Back the Citaros the seats are very comfy.

Tbf the entire fleet of 11 Plate Versas & Non-Leather Streetlites Need doing desperately. Also it seems the Coaster Streetlites are the worse out of the bunch. And as for solos they seem actually quite reliable which is quite good considering the Purples get hammered multiple times daily on the A19.

22 Oct 2022, 11:32 am #11
(22 Oct 2022, 11:06 am)Unber43 I would rather have a Citaro O530 on the 35 than a versa which they have now. I don't care whether they have Euro 6 Engine or a Euro 5, infact the Euro 6 seems louder. The Interior are awful on the versas the seats are like sitting on rocks. Bring Back the Citaros the seats are very comfy.

Are you actually having a laugh? The seats on the Citaros are famously uncomfortable, especially after the refurbs into leather!
streetdeckfan
22 Oct 2022, 11:32 am #11

(22 Oct 2022, 11:06 am)Unber43 I would rather have a Citaro O530 on the 35 than a versa which they have now. I don't care whether they have Euro 6 Engine or a Euro 5, infact the Euro 6 seems louder. The Interior are awful on the versas the seats are like sitting on rocks. Bring Back the Citaros the seats are very comfy.

Are you actually having a laugh? The seats on the Citaros are famously uncomfortable, especially after the refurbs into leather!

Unber43

22 Oct 2022, 11:38 am #12
(22 Oct 2022, 11:32 am)streetdeckfan Are you actually having a laugh? The seats on the Citaros are famously uncomfortable, especially after the refurbs into leather!
Honestly I find them quite comfy.
Unber43
22 Oct 2022, 11:38 am #12

(22 Oct 2022, 11:32 am)streetdeckfan Are you actually having a laugh? The seats on the Citaros are famously uncomfortable, especially after the refurbs into leather!
Honestly I find them quite comfy.

22 Oct 2022, 12:02 pm #13
(22 Oct 2022, 11:38 am)Unber43 Honestly I find them quite comfy.

Do you carry a cushion around with you, because there's nowt in the seat!
streetdeckfan
22 Oct 2022, 12:02 pm #13

(22 Oct 2022, 11:38 am)Unber43 Honestly I find them quite comfy.

Do you carry a cushion around with you, because there's nowt in the seat!

nova347

22 Oct 2022, 5:46 pm #14
(22 Oct 2022, 12:02 pm)streetdeckfan Do you carry a cushion around with you, because there's nowt in the seat!
I absolutely love the citaros, their seats are better than most drifters, ex-saltwell parts and Versas. I find there are no issues with the seats at all.
nova347
22 Oct 2022, 5:46 pm #14

(22 Oct 2022, 12:02 pm)streetdeckfan Do you carry a cushion around with you, because there's nowt in the seat!
I absolutely love the citaros, their seats are better than most drifters, ex-saltwell parts and Versas. I find there are no issues with the seats at all.

Andreos1

25 Oct 2022, 8:48 pm #15
The fella driving NIS from the Metrocentre to Riverside depot tonight and taking that left hand turn on to Handy Drive...

He knew how poor his driving was. He knew.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
25 Oct 2022, 8:48 pm #15

The fella driving NIS from the Metrocentre to Riverside depot tonight and taking that left hand turn on to Handy Drive...

He knew how poor his driving was. He knew.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Ambassador

25 Oct 2022, 8:51 pm #16
Credit to the driver of my 309 who thought he was a 310 and bravely backtracked through cul de sacs and and random North Tyneside council estates to get back on track.

Ambassador
25 Oct 2022, 8:51 pm #16

Credit to the driver of my 309 who thought he was a 310 and bravely backtracked through cul de sacs and and random North Tyneside council estates to get back on track.

31 Oct 2022, 11:59 am #17
Some of the agency drivers on the 900 don't seem to be held to any sort of standards... saw one in the early hours flooring it around a junction through what would've been an amber or red light for them, the bus was actually leaning because of the speed.
omnicity4659
31 Oct 2022, 11:59 am #17

Some of the agency drivers on the 900 don't seem to be held to any sort of standards... saw one in the early hours flooring it around a junction through what would've been an amber or red light for them, the bus was actually leaning because of the speed.

31 Oct 2022, 2:00 pm #18
(31 Oct 2022, 11:59 am)omnicity4659 Some of the agency drivers on the 900 don't seem to be held to any sort of standards... saw one in the early hours flooring it around a junction through what would've been an amber or red light for them, the bus was actually leaning because of the speed.

I don't think that's unique to agency drivers. There are plenty of GNE and Arriva drivers that do exactly that.
streetdeckfan
31 Oct 2022, 2:00 pm #18

(31 Oct 2022, 11:59 am)omnicity4659 Some of the agency drivers on the 900 don't seem to be held to any sort of standards... saw one in the early hours flooring it around a junction through what would've been an amber or red light for them, the bus was actually leaning because of the speed.

I don't think that's unique to agency drivers. There are plenty of GNE and Arriva drivers that do exactly that.

RMF1254

01 Nov 2022, 10:30 am #19
(31 Oct 2022, 2:00 pm)streetdeckfan I don't think that's unique to agency drivers. There are plenty of GNE and Arriva drivers that do exactly that.
Plus there are plenty who are excellent! I don’t have any links with the bos companies before anyone asks!
RMF1254
01 Nov 2022, 10:30 am #19

(31 Oct 2022, 2:00 pm)streetdeckfan I don't think that's unique to agency drivers. There are plenty of GNE and Arriva drivers that do exactly that.
Plus there are plenty who are excellent! I don’t have any links with the bos companies before anyone asks!

01 Nov 2022, 11:55 am #20
(01 Nov 2022, 10:30 am)RMF1254 Plus there are plenty who are excellent! I don’t have any links with the bos companies before anyone asks!
Tbf, I have a preference for drivers who put their foot down. I can't stand the dawdlers!

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
01 Nov 2022, 11:55 am #20

(01 Nov 2022, 10:30 am)RMF1254 Plus there are plenty who are excellent! I don’t have any links with the bos companies before anyone asks!
Tbf, I have a preference for drivers who put their foot down. I can't stand the dawdlers!

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk

Pages (6) 1 2 36 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average