Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure You are in charge!

You are in charge!

You are in charge!

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Pages (2) Previous 1 2
Adrian

17 Sep 2023, 9:13 pm #21
(17 Sep 2023, 2:09 pm)Fleetmaster People love free stuff. Maybe if they realized being driven about in a large heavy metal box does actually cost money, they might value/respect it a little more? The perception that buses are only for the elderly, kids and welfare cases is a big reason why it has the least amount of policy attention despite being the most widely used form of "public" (as in available to anyone) transport.

More broadly, the Day Rider and similar tickets have to be the biggest insult to potential occasional bus users ever invented. Where else other than Beamish are you effectively given a whole day's service for only slightly (as in literal pennies) more than it costs to perform what most people define as a single useful return trip. It's a total con.

What a load of nonsense. I'm confident that the perception of buses only being for the groups you describe, only exists in the minds of the small-minded.

Everyone else can see they perform a vital role and have real socio-economic benefits.

(17 Sep 2023, 8:51 pm)Fleetmaster I have both managed and been a manager. I have been unionised and non-unionised, unskilled, skilled and professional. I have been one of 5, 50 and 5,000 at one time or another. I know what works and what doesn't.

Tolerating an underperforming hostile workforce while you valianty try to make the necessary changes to save a failing business, never works. It is certainly why Wilko failed. Nobody seriously believes that the pay, conditions or management is any different at Poundland, Home Bargains or B&Ms, the more successful business that apparently had a big role in fatally wounding Wilko.

One suspects the difference is workplace culture. Employee culture. Union culture. Wilko is GMB, the other three are USDAW. I certainly wasn't impressed by the standards displayed by Wilko employees months ago, when there was still a chance the business could be turned around and management had already made very bold changes in an effort to turn things around, if only the workers showed the slightest interest in treating people like me as valued customers, not inconveniences. A visit to Home Bargains today saw me marvel at how dedicated the staff are.

Like Unite, GMB make a lot of noise and say a lot of things, such as this claim the management of Wilko, a business that existed for generations, are incompetent. Doesn't add up. Never does. USDAW are far quieter, known for negotiating in good faith and preferring ot to grandstand for political point scoring. A union that recognizes that a workforce without work is a pretty pointless thing indeed.

It's abundantly clear from your posts, that you have little to no experience in managing people, let alone dealing with trade unions. Dictation, maybe, but not managing.

To blame Wilkos collapse on an underperforming workforce is absurd. Not one leading economist or business commentator shares your view.

It's quite clear that you're only posting here, anonymously, to try and get a rise out of people.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
17 Sep 2023, 9:13 pm #21

(17 Sep 2023, 2:09 pm)Fleetmaster People love free stuff. Maybe if they realized being driven about in a large heavy metal box does actually cost money, they might value/respect it a little more? The perception that buses are only for the elderly, kids and welfare cases is a big reason why it has the least amount of policy attention despite being the most widely used form of "public" (as in available to anyone) transport.

More broadly, the Day Rider and similar tickets have to be the biggest insult to potential occasional bus users ever invented. Where else other than Beamish are you effectively given a whole day's service for only slightly (as in literal pennies) more than it costs to perform what most people define as a single useful return trip. It's a total con.

What a load of nonsense. I'm confident that the perception of buses only being for the groups you describe, only exists in the minds of the small-minded.

Everyone else can see they perform a vital role and have real socio-economic benefits.

(17 Sep 2023, 8:51 pm)Fleetmaster I have both managed and been a manager. I have been unionised and non-unionised, unskilled, skilled and professional. I have been one of 5, 50 and 5,000 at one time or another. I know what works and what doesn't.

Tolerating an underperforming hostile workforce while you valianty try to make the necessary changes to save a failing business, never works. It is certainly why Wilko failed. Nobody seriously believes that the pay, conditions or management is any different at Poundland, Home Bargains or B&Ms, the more successful business that apparently had a big role in fatally wounding Wilko.

One suspects the difference is workplace culture. Employee culture. Union culture. Wilko is GMB, the other three are USDAW. I certainly wasn't impressed by the standards displayed by Wilko employees months ago, when there was still a chance the business could be turned around and management had already made very bold changes in an effort to turn things around, if only the workers showed the slightest interest in treating people like me as valued customers, not inconveniences. A visit to Home Bargains today saw me marvel at how dedicated the staff are.

Like Unite, GMB make a lot of noise and say a lot of things, such as this claim the management of Wilko, a business that existed for generations, are incompetent. Doesn't add up. Never does. USDAW are far quieter, known for negotiating in good faith and preferring ot to grandstand for political point scoring. A union that recognizes that a workforce without work is a pretty pointless thing indeed.

It's abundantly clear from your posts, that you have little to no experience in managing people, let alone dealing with trade unions. Dictation, maybe, but not managing.

To blame Wilkos collapse on an underperforming workforce is absurd. Not one leading economist or business commentator shares your view.

It's quite clear that you're only posting here, anonymously, to try and get a rise out of people.

Storx

17 Sep 2023, 9:19 pm #22

Good luck to any Wilko staff, as this is NOT the view of this forum if anyone happens to read this.

What a disgusting comment to make and completely incorrect at the same time which is due to bad management decisions in terms of the clock stopping in 2010 and moving away from their discounter roots to a market of being pretty much no-where in bad locations on dying high streets with higher rents and busienss rates. Not to mention dividends being paid while the company is making a loss but I suppose you support that with your Nat-C bootlicker views who would squash you into slave labour if they had a chance.
Storx
17 Sep 2023, 9:19 pm #22

Good luck to any Wilko staff, as this is NOT the view of this forum if anyone happens to read this.

What a disgusting comment to make and completely incorrect at the same time which is due to bad management decisions in terms of the clock stopping in 2010 and moving away from their discounter roots to a market of being pretty much no-where in bad locations on dying high streets with higher rents and busienss rates. Not to mention dividends being paid while the company is making a loss but I suppose you support that with your Nat-C bootlicker views who would squash you into slave labour if they had a chance.

17 Sep 2023, 9:34 pm #23
(17 Sep 2023, 9:13 pm)Adrian What a load of nonsense. I'm confident that the perception of buses only being for the groups you describe, only exists in the minds of the small-minded.

I doubt that there is a single economist or business commentator that even shops in the likes of Wilko or Poundland. What would they know about the effect of a workplace culture on whether customers want to spend time and money in a store?

All they know are the sales figures, and they duly speculate. Unsurprisingly, a lot of what GMB claimed was the reason the company failed, found its way into certain media outlets without even being questioned. Understandably, Wilko management are reluctant to blame the workers for the collapse, even now.

And if you are so certain that everyone sees the socio-economic value of buses, why is it that they clearly don't get the level of funding or priority that roads, train and even cycling does? Here we are at a time when a mass change in travel habits could literally save the planet and stop serious health impacts, and services are actually being cut. The government rule that the meagre awards obtained haphazardly for BSIPs are categorically not for the sustenance of existing services, has been quietly forgotten. 

To take your cue, if you would like to find me a single transport industry commentator who says buses do get the priority they deserve, I would love to see it.
Fleetmaster
17 Sep 2023, 9:34 pm #23

(17 Sep 2023, 9:13 pm)Adrian What a load of nonsense. I'm confident that the perception of buses only being for the groups you describe, only exists in the minds of the small-minded.

I doubt that there is a single economist or business commentator that even shops in the likes of Wilko or Poundland. What would they know about the effect of a workplace culture on whether customers want to spend time and money in a store?

All they know are the sales figures, and they duly speculate. Unsurprisingly, a lot of what GMB claimed was the reason the company failed, found its way into certain media outlets without even being questioned. Understandably, Wilko management are reluctant to blame the workers for the collapse, even now.

And if you are so certain that everyone sees the socio-economic value of buses, why is it that they clearly don't get the level of funding or priority that roads, train and even cycling does? Here we are at a time when a mass change in travel habits could literally save the planet and stop serious health impacts, and services are actually being cut. The government rule that the meagre awards obtained haphazardly for BSIPs are categorically not for the sustenance of existing services, has been quietly forgotten. 

To take your cue, if you would like to find me a single transport industry commentator who says buses do get the priority they deserve, I would love to see it.

18 Sep 2023, 11:07 pm #24
(14 Sep 2023, 12:31 am)Bazza You are the person solely in charge of franchising in the region.  You love to micro manage.  

What one or two things would you prioritise?

Try not to repeat what’s already been suggested !

I’ll start with:

1: renumber all the routes ensuring there are no duplicates. 

2: standardise liveries getting rid of route branding (perhaps a nice yellow for Tyne & Wear and a red for the rest of the region!)

Yes I know I’m just reverting back to the pre deregulation era!

I would Prioritise....

1) Mass scale research before launch to see where people want to go. This would be predominantly online via QR codes etc... posted out and alternative town/city centre welcome events possible for elderly and those who need or prefer a person centred approach.

2) Correct pricing being on miles travelled compared to border variations and company pricing.

3) Decent and realistic frequencies based on population density and non being less than half hourly.

I could keep going but i'll leave some for other people... Tongue
logidoodah
18 Sep 2023, 11:07 pm #24

(14 Sep 2023, 12:31 am)Bazza You are the person solely in charge of franchising in the region.  You love to micro manage.  

What one or two things would you prioritise?

Try not to repeat what’s already been suggested !

I’ll start with:

1: renumber all the routes ensuring there are no duplicates. 

2: standardise liveries getting rid of route branding (perhaps a nice yellow for Tyne & Wear and a red for the rest of the region!)

Yes I know I’m just reverting back to the pre deregulation era!

I would Prioritise....

1) Mass scale research before launch to see where people want to go. This would be predominantly online via QR codes etc... posted out and alternative town/city centre welcome events possible for elderly and those who need or prefer a person centred approach.

2) Correct pricing being on miles travelled compared to border variations and company pricing.

3) Decent and realistic frequencies based on population density and non being less than half hourly.

I could keep going but i'll leave some for other people... Tongue

Adrian

19 Sep 2023, 8:20 am #25
(18 Sep 2023, 11:07 pm)logidoodah 1) Mass scale research before launch to see where people want to go. This would be predominantly online via QR codes etc... posted out and alternative town/city centre welcome events possible for elderly and those who need or prefer a person centred approach.

I think this is one element to consultation, but it's single-direction. I've always found that one of the best ways to get really valuable feedback, is if you're prepared to run workshops or consultation events. Having groups of people giving feedback at once, often generates even better ideas.

It's something that I wish TNE would do with the BSIP, rather than hiding behind closed doors.

Adrian
19 Sep 2023, 8:20 am #25

(18 Sep 2023, 11:07 pm)logidoodah 1) Mass scale research before launch to see where people want to go. This would be predominantly online via QR codes etc... posted out and alternative town/city centre welcome events possible for elderly and those who need or prefer a person centred approach.

I think this is one element to consultation, but it's single-direction. I've always found that one of the best ways to get really valuable feedback, is if you're prepared to run workshops or consultation events. Having groups of people giving feedback at once, often generates even better ideas.

It's something that I wish TNE would do with the BSIP, rather than hiding behind closed doors.

Storx

19 Sep 2023, 10:28 am #26
(19 Sep 2023, 8:20 am)Adrian I think this is one element to consultation, but it's single-direction. I've always found that one of the best ways to get really valuable feedback, is if you're prepared to run workshops or consultation events. Having groups of people giving feedback at once, often generates even better ideas.

I'm not sure on the legalities behind it with GDPR etc but I'd rather they went above the public.

For example in somewhere like Cobalt there's no reason why they can't go above and find out from the employer where people actually work and build networks from that. 

Asking people will never give a valuable information as people who don't use the bus won't answer as why would they I don't use the bus so naturally your just going to get answers saying where buses actually go because people have a made a choice around the network rather than where they could go. 

ie asking a pensioner around here I'd imagine most would say either Cramlington or Whitley Bay as that's where the buses go. Ask people who drive I'd imagine they'd say Silverlink, Killingworth and Cramlington.

Not to mention most these polls seem to happen at 3pm on a weekday and I don't need to say what's wrong with that rather than 8pm on a Saturday.
Storx
19 Sep 2023, 10:28 am #26

(19 Sep 2023, 8:20 am)Adrian I think this is one element to consultation, but it's single-direction. I've always found that one of the best ways to get really valuable feedback, is if you're prepared to run workshops or consultation events. Having groups of people giving feedback at once, often generates even better ideas.

I'm not sure on the legalities behind it with GDPR etc but I'd rather they went above the public.

For example in somewhere like Cobalt there's no reason why they can't go above and find out from the employer where people actually work and build networks from that. 

Asking people will never give a valuable information as people who don't use the bus won't answer as why would they I don't use the bus so naturally your just going to get answers saying where buses actually go because people have a made a choice around the network rather than where they could go. 

ie asking a pensioner around here I'd imagine most would say either Cramlington or Whitley Bay as that's where the buses go. Ask people who drive I'd imagine they'd say Silverlink, Killingworth and Cramlington.

Not to mention most these polls seem to happen at 3pm on a weekday and I don't need to say what's wrong with that rather than 8pm on a Saturday.

19 Sep 2023, 11:19 am #27
I would run a load of commercially funded taxibuses, because they would be low-cost to run and could potentially benefit passengers if the fastest route between two places involved narrow streets/roads.
Some early ideas:
TB3: Washington, Oxclose, Crowther, Ayton, Team Valley, Newcastle
TB19: Gateshead, Whitehall Road, Bensham Hospital, Team Valley
TB25: Chester-Le-Street, Plawsworth, Kimblesworth, Nettlesworth, Sacriston, Witton Gilbert
TB33: Chester-Le-Street, Hilda Park, Pelton, Perkinsville
TB59: Gateshead, Q.E Hospital, Felling Square, Fewster Square, Ellen Wilkinson Estate, Wardley

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/
ASX_Terranova
19 Sep 2023, 11:19 am #27

I would run a load of commercially funded taxibuses, because they would be low-cost to run and could potentially benefit passengers if the fastest route between two places involved narrow streets/roads.
Some early ideas:
TB3: Washington, Oxclose, Crowther, Ayton, Team Valley, Newcastle
TB19: Gateshead, Whitehall Road, Bensham Hospital, Team Valley
TB25: Chester-Le-Street, Plawsworth, Kimblesworth, Nettlesworth, Sacriston, Witton Gilbert
TB33: Chester-Le-Street, Hilda Park, Pelton, Perkinsville
TB59: Gateshead, Q.E Hospital, Felling Square, Fewster Square, Ellen Wilkinson Estate, Wardley

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/

col87

21 Sep 2023, 6:14 pm #28
(17 Sep 2023, 10:14 am)Fleetmaster * Apply a temporary brand

Make it simple but eye catching, with a common fleetname but use vinyls to have easily swapped sub brands for each depot. Issue cheap temporary uniforms and publicity.

* Dump the apps and Nexus

Why duplicate what Bustimes.org are already doing really well? Nexus are useless, leave them to farting around with steam powered ferries and clapped out trains.

* Retender stop timetable provision

With a huge region and a standardized format, the private sector will snap your hand off for the massive contract to provide the still extremely important function of ensuring there is an up to date paper timetable at every single bus stop.

* Centralise customer support.

A single office handling all queries over whatever means customers wish to use, with Bustimes.org as the common frame of reference between provider and customer.

* Go cashless.

Replace all the ticket machines with smart models. Use the PayPoint network for the few people who don't have a means of contactless payment. Partner with Age Concern and other organizations to remove the fear, uncertainty and doubt that comes with such changes.

* Change the fare structure.

Make it simple and fair. Dump free travel and concessionary passes. Everyone must pay for each journey, even if it is a nominal 20p.

* Map the region, redesign the network

Contract a big data company to analyze the data on real time travel patterns coming from the smart ticket machines. Identify where routes, stops and frequencies can be altered to better serve the evident needs of the customer. Adopt a rolling program of periodic changes, ending only when you are satisfied the network is best suited for current and future demand.

Parallel to this, you centralise the planning and operations functions, making full use of digital technology to locate these functions in nice clean control center far from a depot, paring down the back office staff on site to a minimum but effective level.

* Go all electric

You now have the depot space and the purchasing power to pursue an aggressive fleet replacement program centered on a handful of standardized region specific all electric designs. Aim to completely replace the fleet within five years.

* Roll out the permanent brand

It is a no brainer to adopt whole route branding across the board, with a minimal nod to the network brand. The benefits far outweigh the minimal costs of operational constraints. It makes sense however to only roll out the brands as new vehicles arrive, their standardized shape and interior helping customers realize these are brands within a cohesive network.

Make each rollout a big deal, emphasizing that while it is technically true that the ownership and staffing hasn't changed, each brand launch marks a step change in quality. Before was temporary. This is the new dawn.

* Upgrade training and standards

Establish a training and professional standards regime that befits the new permanent brand. With each new brand rollout, ensure the passengers appreciate these brand new vehicles are also staffed by the newly uniformed properly trained staff.

* Rebuild the depot network.

My major cost is now the greedy drivers and legacy bills.

It makes perfect sense therefore to cut dead mileage to the bone by building many more smaller depots spread out across the region, with buses in service within a mile or less. New builds on readily available well connected industrial estates maximize efficient use of space and equipment, and of course take full advantage of green technology such as solar panels and digital communications.

The small depots are literally only for secure stabling, charging, cleaning and staffing of the PVR. Going the other way, I establish a network of a handful of massive super depots, where all repairs, maintenance and renewal is carried out, and the reserve fleet and private hire and other specialist buses are stabled.

All driver training activities are moved to a single dedicated site, taking advantage of the fact vehicles and equipment are now standardized.

* Smash the unions.

I am now the only show in town, if you want to be a bus driver. My vehicles are clean and quiet, my customers are happy, my network is efficient and effective, and my training is best in class. The people love me. I am a shining beacon of regional pride, my marketing department having ensured branding brings local buy in.

Frankly, if I could run my operation without drivers, I would. But for now, they are a necessary evil.

I do all I can to minimize the drivers ability to harm my business. If that means being aggressive in how I apply my standards, I will, confident as I am that my pay rates and conditions of working give absolutely nobody who lives in this region any cause for complaint. If they think they can do better elsewhere, then by all means, go.

If anything, it's better for my brand and my business if I can quickly get to a situation where the majority of drivers are people who are new to the industry and only know my standards, methods and operational arrangements. With dedicated route allocations it is even easier to recruit new hands.

There are plenty out there looking to change jobs, and the benefits are well worth the investment.

* Profit

People are amazed to realize that rather than requiring an ever larger subsidy and suffer the indignity of being being a mere public servant who must be forever slave to the whims of moronic politicians, the benefits of bringing a ruthlessly commercial attitude to a legal monopoly, are that you can actually make money. It's a fine art, balancing fares and costs, but since that is literally my only job, and given I have a financial incentive to provide more services not less, and every penny of my profit can be reinvested, I do it quite well.

* Run

Things go well for ten or even twenty years, certainly long enough to prove the operation is sustainable long term. But the moment I see the next pandemic on the horizon, I pack a suitcase, jump on a plane and throw the keys to the head of the council as I fly over the city.

See ya!

Your not called Ben Houchen by any chance are you seems a similar attitude to him
col87
21 Sep 2023, 6:14 pm #28

(17 Sep 2023, 10:14 am)Fleetmaster * Apply a temporary brand

Make it simple but eye catching, with a common fleetname but use vinyls to have easily swapped sub brands for each depot. Issue cheap temporary uniforms and publicity.

* Dump the apps and Nexus

Why duplicate what Bustimes.org are already doing really well? Nexus are useless, leave them to farting around with steam powered ferries and clapped out trains.

* Retender stop timetable provision

With a huge region and a standardized format, the private sector will snap your hand off for the massive contract to provide the still extremely important function of ensuring there is an up to date paper timetable at every single bus stop.

* Centralise customer support.

A single office handling all queries over whatever means customers wish to use, with Bustimes.org as the common frame of reference between provider and customer.

* Go cashless.

Replace all the ticket machines with smart models. Use the PayPoint network for the few people who don't have a means of contactless payment. Partner with Age Concern and other organizations to remove the fear, uncertainty and doubt that comes with such changes.

* Change the fare structure.

Make it simple and fair. Dump free travel and concessionary passes. Everyone must pay for each journey, even if it is a nominal 20p.

* Map the region, redesign the network

Contract a big data company to analyze the data on real time travel patterns coming from the smart ticket machines. Identify where routes, stops and frequencies can be altered to better serve the evident needs of the customer. Adopt a rolling program of periodic changes, ending only when you are satisfied the network is best suited for current and future demand.

Parallel to this, you centralise the planning and operations functions, making full use of digital technology to locate these functions in nice clean control center far from a depot, paring down the back office staff on site to a minimum but effective level.

* Go all electric

You now have the depot space and the purchasing power to pursue an aggressive fleet replacement program centered on a handful of standardized region specific all electric designs. Aim to completely replace the fleet within five years.

* Roll out the permanent brand

It is a no brainer to adopt whole route branding across the board, with a minimal nod to the network brand. The benefits far outweigh the minimal costs of operational constraints. It makes sense however to only roll out the brands as new vehicles arrive, their standardized shape and interior helping customers realize these are brands within a cohesive network.

Make each rollout a big deal, emphasizing that while it is technically true that the ownership and staffing hasn't changed, each brand launch marks a step change in quality. Before was temporary. This is the new dawn.

* Upgrade training and standards

Establish a training and professional standards regime that befits the new permanent brand. With each new brand rollout, ensure the passengers appreciate these brand new vehicles are also staffed by the newly uniformed properly trained staff.

* Rebuild the depot network.

My major cost is now the greedy drivers and legacy bills.

It makes perfect sense therefore to cut dead mileage to the bone by building many more smaller depots spread out across the region, with buses in service within a mile or less. New builds on readily available well connected industrial estates maximize efficient use of space and equipment, and of course take full advantage of green technology such as solar panels and digital communications.

The small depots are literally only for secure stabling, charging, cleaning and staffing of the PVR. Going the other way, I establish a network of a handful of massive super depots, where all repairs, maintenance and renewal is carried out, and the reserve fleet and private hire and other specialist buses are stabled.

All driver training activities are moved to a single dedicated site, taking advantage of the fact vehicles and equipment are now standardized.

* Smash the unions.

I am now the only show in town, if you want to be a bus driver. My vehicles are clean and quiet, my customers are happy, my network is efficient and effective, and my training is best in class. The people love me. I am a shining beacon of regional pride, my marketing department having ensured branding brings local buy in.

Frankly, if I could run my operation without drivers, I would. But for now, they are a necessary evil.

I do all I can to minimize the drivers ability to harm my business. If that means being aggressive in how I apply my standards, I will, confident as I am that my pay rates and conditions of working give absolutely nobody who lives in this region any cause for complaint. If they think they can do better elsewhere, then by all means, go.

If anything, it's better for my brand and my business if I can quickly get to a situation where the majority of drivers are people who are new to the industry and only know my standards, methods and operational arrangements. With dedicated route allocations it is even easier to recruit new hands.

There are plenty out there looking to change jobs, and the benefits are well worth the investment.

* Profit

People are amazed to realize that rather than requiring an ever larger subsidy and suffer the indignity of being being a mere public servant who must be forever slave to the whims of moronic politicians, the benefits of bringing a ruthlessly commercial attitude to a legal monopoly, are that you can actually make money. It's a fine art, balancing fares and costs, but since that is literally my only job, and given I have a financial incentive to provide more services not less, and every penny of my profit can be reinvested, I do it quite well.

* Run

Things go well for ten or even twenty years, certainly long enough to prove the operation is sustainable long term. But the moment I see the next pandemic on the horizon, I pack a suitcase, jump on a plane and throw the keys to the head of the council as I fly over the city.

See ya!

Your not called Ben Houchen by any chance are you seems a similar attitude to him

Pages (2) Previous 1 2

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average