Menu

North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat Bus Station Designs

Bus Station Designs

Bus Station Designs

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

Pages (3) Previous 1 2 3
Andreos1

08 Jan 2015, 9:35 pm #41
(08 Jan 2015, 9:29 pm)mb134 Just looking at that map, did Haymarket used to be kind of flipped round from what it is now. Looks like the buses would park where you currently wait, and you would wait where they currently park? Also seems they would enter from where they exit, and exit from the current entrance?

Aye.
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/alumni/events/cw/thenandnow.html (aboiut half way down the page)

Have you ever seen the old, old design?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/newcastlel...086873856/

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
08 Jan 2015, 9:35 pm #41

(08 Jan 2015, 9:29 pm)mb134 Just looking at that map, did Haymarket used to be kind of flipped round from what it is now. Looks like the buses would park where you currently wait, and you would wait where they currently park? Also seems they would enter from where they exit, and exit from the current entrance?

Aye.
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/alumni/events/cw/thenandnow.html (aboiut half way down the page)

MurdnunoC

08 Jan 2015, 9:37 pm #42

Yup.
MurdnunoC
08 Jan 2015, 9:37 pm #42

Yup.

Andreos1

08 Jan 2015, 9:41 pm #43
(08 Jan 2015, 9:30 pm)MurdnunoC Just found a diagram of Eldon Square/Haymarket from 1997.

Aye, thought an extra stand had been added.

Got the 733 after a Saturday game and it was never off the same stand as the 724 (or 231)

Andreos1
08 Jan 2015, 9:41 pm #43

(08 Jan 2015, 9:30 pm)MurdnunoC Just found a diagram of Eldon Square/Haymarket from 1997.

Aye, thought an extra stand had been added.

Got the 733 after a Saturday game and it was never off the same stand as the 724 (or 231)

mb134

08 Jan 2015, 9:45 pm #44
(08 Jan 2015, 9:35 pm)Andreos1 Aye.

That's really weird, it's amazing that it's taken me this long to find out it used to be different, however judging by the Northumbria buses, I couldn't have missed it by long? (I was born '98, and probably started to get the bus into there when I was 2 or 3?). 

The old old design looks fantastic, although I imagine problems could have been caused by break downs etc?

(Am I the only one who tried to figure out which Enviro was exiting on the new picture? )
mb134
08 Jan 2015, 9:45 pm #44

(08 Jan 2015, 9:35 pm)Andreos1 Aye.

That's really weird, it's amazing that it's taken me this long to find out it used to be different, however judging by the Northumbria buses, I couldn't have missed it by long? (I was born '98, and probably started to get the bus into there when I was 2 or 3?). 

The old old design looks fantastic, although I imagine problems could have been caused by break downs etc?

(Am I the only one who tried to figure out which Enviro was exiting on the new picture? )

MurdnunoC

08 Jan 2015, 9:45 pm #45
(08 Jan 2015, 9:41 pm)Andreos1 Aye, thought an extra stand had been added.

If I recall, the extra stand was always there but not used for some reason. Worswick Street had probably closed by 1997 which is why it was needed for the Co. Durham services.

That's probably why I get the stands on that side mixed up.
Edited 08 Jan 2015, 9:46 pm by MurdnunoC.
MurdnunoC
08 Jan 2015, 9:45 pm #45

(08 Jan 2015, 9:41 pm)Andreos1 Aye, thought an extra stand had been added.

If I recall, the extra stand was always there but not used for some reason. Worswick Street had probably closed by 1997 which is why it was needed for the Co. Durham services.

Andreos1

08 Jan 2015, 9:51 pm #46
(08 Jan 2015, 9:45 pm)mb134 That's really weird, it's amazing that it's taken me this long to find out it used to be different, however judging by the Northumbria buses, I couldn't have missed it by long? (I was born '98, and probably started to get the bus into there when I was 2 or 3?). 

According to the Chronicle link I put up on the previous page, Peter Beardsley opened it in 1996 - so just a couple of years off.

Andreos1
08 Jan 2015, 9:51 pm #46

(08 Jan 2015, 9:45 pm)mb134 That's really weird, it's amazing that it's taken me this long to find out it used to be different, however judging by the Northumbria buses, I couldn't have missed it by long? (I was born '98, and probably started to get the bus into there when I was 2 or 3?). 

According to the Chronicle link I put up on the previous page, Peter Beardsley opened it in 1996 - so just a couple of years off.

mb134

08 Jan 2015, 9:56 pm #47
(08 Jan 2015, 9:51 pm)Andreos1 According to the Chronicle link I put up on the previous page, Peter Beardsley opened it in 1996 - so just a couple of years off.
Ah okay Smile Looking back at photo's etc, it makes you realise that everything used to be better (in my opinion anyway) bus-wise. Look at the amount of services, and the vehicles that operated them! Big Grin Give me an Olympian, and I couldn't care less about fancy free Wi-Fi, plugs or stop announcements... (I'm sure others would prefer other buses, for other reasons, but that's my memory of what it used to be like)
mb134
08 Jan 2015, 9:56 pm #47

(08 Jan 2015, 9:51 pm)Andreos1 According to the Chronicle link I put up on the previous page, Peter Beardsley opened it in 1996 - so just a couple of years off.
Ah okay Smile Looking back at photo's etc, it makes you realise that everything used to be better (in my opinion anyway) bus-wise. Look at the amount of services, and the vehicles that operated them! Big Grin Give me an Olympian, and I couldn't care less about fancy free Wi-Fi, plugs or stop announcements... (I'm sure others would prefer other buses, for other reasons, but that's my memory of what it used to be like)

MurdnunoC

08 Jan 2015, 10:01 pm #48
(08 Jan 2015, 9:56 pm)mb134 Ah okay Smile Looking back at photo's etc, it makes you realise that everything used to be better (in my opinion anyway) bus-wise. Look at the amount of services, and the vehicles that operated them! Big Grin Give me an Olympian, and I couldn't care less about fancy free Wi-Fi, plugs or stop announcements... (I'm sure others would prefer other buses, for other reasons, but that's my memory of what it used to be like)

I think there was more uniqueness bus-wise. You could easily tell an Olympian from an Atlantean and even the different bodied versions of each vehicles carried their own stamp. Nowadays, everything looks the same - in my opinion at least. 
MurdnunoC
08 Jan 2015, 10:01 pm #48

(08 Jan 2015, 9:56 pm)mb134 Ah okay Smile Looking back at photo's etc, it makes you realise that everything used to be better (in my opinion anyway) bus-wise. Look at the amount of services, and the vehicles that operated them! Big Grin Give me an Olympian, and I couldn't care less about fancy free Wi-Fi, plugs or stop announcements... (I'm sure others would prefer other buses, for other reasons, but that's my memory of what it used to be like)

I think there was more uniqueness bus-wise. You could easily tell an Olympian from an Atlantean and even the different bodied versions of each vehicles carried their own stamp. Nowadays, everything looks the same - in my opinion at least. 

Andreos1

08 Jan 2015, 10:02 pm #49
(08 Jan 2015, 9:45 pm)MurdnunoC If I recall, the extra stand was always there but not used for some reason. Worswick Street had probably closed by 1997 which is why it was needed for the Co. Durham services.

Aye, Worswick Street had closed around then if I remember right.
The local Gateshead services stopped using it in the early/mid 90's, with them going via Market St, Grainger St and the bottom of Westgate Road (missing out the left turn onto the Bigg Market).

Can't remember using Eldon Square at all until after the changes (was generally Worswick St, Newgate St or Grainger St) when crossing the river.

Aye, same here. Much prefer stock of that vintage.

There is an Olympian or two (and a Superliner coach) in that old picture.
Edited 08 Jan 2015, 10:04 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
08 Jan 2015, 10:02 pm #49

(08 Jan 2015, 9:45 pm)MurdnunoC If I recall, the extra stand was always there but not used for some reason. Worswick Street had probably closed by 1997 which is why it was needed for the Co. Durham services.

Aye, Worswick Street had closed around then if I remember right.
The local Gateshead services stopped using it in the early/mid 90's, with them going via Market St, Grainger St and the bottom of Westgate Road (missing out the left turn onto the Bigg Market).

Can't remember using Eldon Square at all until after the changes (was generally Worswick St, Newgate St or Grainger St) when crossing the river.

Aye, same here. Much prefer stock of that vintage.

There is an Olympian or two (and a Superliner coach) in that old picture.

Pages (3) Previous 1 2 3

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average