Menu

North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat Bus Station Designs

Bus Station Designs

Bus Station Designs

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

Pages (3) Previous 1 2 3 Next
Malarkey

24 Oct 2014, 3:32 pm #21
Does anyone think there should be Modifications made to Sunderland Park Lane Interchange, if so what would like to see done?

Here is a few I have thought of.

- Pedestrianize the Current Stockton Road/Mary Street Entrance/Exit to Park Lane and have the Entrance/Exit on the Main Stretch of Stockton Road alongside the Current Entrance to where the 42 and 60 etc Stop, This would therefore result in Traffic Lights having to be re-positioned, it would also prevent Serious Accidents such as Pedestrians been knocked over by a Bus, This Afternoon alone I witnessed 3 close shaves in the space of 20 Minutes.

- Modifications to both sets of Layovers and Stands as Buses seem to have Difficulty getting past if there Buses on Both the Layover and the Stands at the same time, *Cough* Particularly on the Centre Piece where the 56/X36/29 and 700 all Stop.

- Widening of the Road next to where the 2A/2C/8/39/73 and 78 Stop, Often gets congested due the poor Alignment of Vehicles on those Stands, Particulary the 39/SA Stand.

- Male/Female and Disabled Toilets Refurbished so that are more Public Friendly and are Properly Maintained as they are Rank, surprised no one has been Raped or something in there with those horrid Blue Lights.
Malarkey
24 Oct 2014, 3:32 pm #21

Does anyone think there should be Modifications made to Sunderland Park Lane Interchange, if so what would like to see done?

- Pedestrianize the Current Stockton Road/Mary Street Entrance/Exit to Park Lane and have the Entrance/Exit on the Main Stretch of Stockton Road alongside the Current Entrance to where the 42 and 60 etc Stop, This would therefore result in Traffic Lights having to be re-positioned, it would also prevent Serious Accidents such as Pedestrians been knocked over by a Bus, This Afternoon alone I witnessed 3 close shaves in the space of 20 Minutes.

- Modifications to both sets of Layovers and Stands as Buses seem to have Difficulty getting past if there Buses on Both the Layover and the Stands at the same time, *Cough* Particularly on the Centre Piece where the 56/X36/29 and 700 all Stop.

- Widening of the Road next to where the 2A/2C/8/39/73 and 78 Stop, Often gets congested due the poor Alignment of Vehicles on those Stands, Particulary the 39/SA Stand.

- Male/Female and Disabled Toilets Refurbished so that are more Public Friendly and are Properly Maintained as they are Rank, surprised no one has been Raped or something in there with those horrid Blue Lights.

Tom

24 Oct 2014, 3:34 pm #22
(24 Oct 2014, 3:32 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Does anyone think there should be Modifications made to Sunderland Park Lane Interchange, if so what would like to see done?

Completely agree, those toilets are vile. I don't use them and generally go to Debenhams or somewhere if I need to use the toilet. 
Tom
24 Oct 2014, 3:34 pm #22

(24 Oct 2014, 3:32 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Does anyone think there should be Modifications made to Sunderland Park Lane Interchange, if so what would like to see done?

Completely agree, those toilets are vile. I don't use them and generally go to Debenhams or somewhere if I need to use the toilet. 

Malarkey

24 Oct 2014, 3:52 pm #23
(24 Oct 2014, 3:34 pm)Tom Completely agree, those toilets are vile. I don't use them and generally go to Debenhams or somewhere if I need to use the toilet. 

I would rather Risk Shitting Myself whilst walking to Debenhams or The Bridges to use the Toilets there, than use the Toilets in Park Lane.
Malarkey
24 Oct 2014, 3:52 pm #23

(24 Oct 2014, 3:34 pm)Tom Completely agree, those toilets are vile. I don't use them and generally go to Debenhams or somewhere if I need to use the toilet. 

I would rather Risk Shitting Myself whilst walking to Debenhams or The Bridges to use the Toilets there, than use the Toilets in Park Lane.

Andreos1

24 Oct 2014, 4:18 pm #24
(24 Oct 2014, 3:52 pm)NEBCD Malarkey I would rather Risk Shitting Myself whilst walking to Debenhams or The Bridges to use the Toilets there, than use the Toilets in Park Lane.

Speaking of toilets, have you returned to Eldon Square toilets recently or are you still scarred from getting locked in that time?

As for modifications, I have wondered about using the part of Park Lane dedicated to taxis for some services.

As it stands, the road layout isn't wide enough to allow the vehicles to turn, but with the purchase of land on the site of Food Giant (no idea whether this would be possible), the road could be widened.
It would also allow the utilisation of the space which is used very rarely behind the kiosk (https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.902712...gmtfVg!2e0).

The services using these stands, would create additional space within the main interchange and would reduce some of the bunching, crowding and delays that take place currently.
Edited 24 Oct 2014, 4:25 pm by Andreos1.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
24 Oct 2014, 4:18 pm #24

(24 Oct 2014, 3:52 pm)NEBCD Malarkey I would rather Risk Shitting Myself whilst walking to Debenhams or The Bridges to use the Toilets there, than use the Toilets in Park Lane.

Speaking of toilets, have you returned to Eldon Square toilets recently or are you still scarred from getting locked in that time?

As for modifications, I have wondered about using the part of Park Lane dedicated to taxis for some services.

As it stands, the road layout isn't wide enough to allow the vehicles to turn, but with the purchase of land on the site of Food Giant (no idea whether this would be possible), the road could be widened.
It would also allow the utilisation of the space which is used very rarely behind the kiosk (https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.902712...gmtfVg!2e0).

The services using these stands, would create additional space within the main interchange and would reduce some of the bunching, crowding and delays that take place currently.

Malarkey

24 Oct 2014, 4:26 pm #25
(24 Oct 2014, 4:18 pm)Andreos1 Speaking of toilets, have you returned to Eldon Square toilets recently or are you still scarred from getting locked in that time?

I have used them on several occasions, just not the ones down by the Apple Store where I ended up locked inside for 10-15 Minutes before booting the Door off the Hinges.
Malarkey
24 Oct 2014, 4:26 pm #25

(24 Oct 2014, 4:18 pm)Andreos1 Speaking of toilets, have you returned to Eldon Square toilets recently or are you still scarred from getting locked in that time?

I have used them on several occasions, just not the ones down by the Apple Store where I ended up locked inside for 10-15 Minutes before booting the Door off the Hinges.

MurdnunoC

24 Oct 2014, 4:46 pm #26
I preferred the design of the old Park Lane. Buses seemed to move about more freely without the problems encountered today. However, I do appreciate it was open to all the elements.
MurdnunoC
24 Oct 2014, 4:46 pm #26

I preferred the design of the old Park Lane. Buses seemed to move about more freely without the problems encountered today. However, I do appreciate it was open to all the elements.

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

11 Nov 2014, 9:26 am #27
I nearly did shit myself a while back when I had a case of the Russian Revolutions, I barely made it to Ladbrokes at the top of Blandford Street Big Grin
MrFozz
11 Nov 2014, 9:26 am #27

I nearly did shit myself a while back when I had a case of the Russian Revolutions, I barely made it to Ladbrokes at the top of Blandford Street Big Grin

Adrian

07 Jan 2015, 10:09 pm #28
So following on from Memories of the 183 in the Metrocentre bus station, can anyone remember what was the old Eldon Square bus station? Anyone got any fond memories (or stories!) of it? Big Grin

http://newcastlephotos.blogspot.co.uk/20...ourse.html

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
07 Jan 2015, 10:09 pm #28

So following on from Memories of the 183 in the Metrocentre bus station, can anyone remember what was the old Eldon Square bus station? Anyone got any fond memories (or stories!) of it? Big Grin

http://newcastlephotos.blogspot.co.uk/20...ourse.html

MurdnunoC

07 Jan 2015, 10:28 pm #29
Loved the old concourse too.

My bus-stop moved from the side where Boots was located (outside of the Newsagents and Flower Shop - I want to say Stand J but I'm probably wrong) to the other side outside of Bainbridges.

There was a cheap cafe located on that side too.
MurdnunoC
07 Jan 2015, 10:28 pm #29

Loved the old concourse too.

My bus-stop moved from the side where Boots was located (outside of the Newsagents and Flower Shop - I want to say Stand J but I'm probably wrong) to the other side outside of Bainbridges.

There was a cheap cafe located on that side too.

Andreos1

07 Jan 2015, 11:42 pm #30
The skanky pub.
Had a door off the green and a door off the bus station.

Also, the access up to the middle of Eldon Square. Off the bus, up the stairs and in the shops within seconds.

Andreos1
07 Jan 2015, 11:42 pm #30

The skanky pub.

Also, the access up to the middle of Eldon Square. Off the bus, up the stairs and in the shops within seconds.

Adrian

08 Jan 2015, 12:05 am #31
(07 Jan 2015, 11:42 pm)Andreos1 The skanky pub.

That brings back memories. Escalator straight into Eldon Square, and there was originally two bus station exits from the shopping centre. One for each side wasn't it? Closed off by one of those weird and wonderful manual doors.

Adrian
08 Jan 2015, 12:05 am #31

That brings back memories. Escalator straight into Eldon Square, and there was originally two bus station exits from the shopping centre. One for each side wasn't it? Closed off by one of those weird and wonderful manual doors.

MurdnunoC

08 Jan 2015, 1:33 pm #32

The George and Dragon. A fine establishment. Right up there with The Clock and The Black Garter.

(08 Jan 2015, 12:05 am)aureolin That brings back memories. Escalator straight into Eldon Square, and there was originally two bus station exits from the shopping centre. One for each side wasn't it? Closed off by one of those weird and wonderful manual doors.

Can't remember any weird manual doors at the bottom of the escalators, but you're right, there were escalators on both sides leading down to the concourse. You could also cut through Boots or Bainbridges from Eldon Square or The George and Dragon from the green. 
MurdnunoC
08 Jan 2015, 1:33 pm #32

The George and Dragon. A fine establishment. Right up there with The Clock and The Black Garter.

(08 Jan 2015, 12:05 am)aureolin That brings back memories. Escalator straight into Eldon Square, and there was originally two bus station exits from the shopping centre. One for each side wasn't it? Closed off by one of those weird and wonderful manual doors.

Can't remember any weird manual doors at the bottom of the escalators, but you're right, there were escalators on both sides leading down to the concourse. You could also cut through Boots or Bainbridges from Eldon Square or The George and Dragon from the green. 

MurdnunoC

08 Jan 2015, 3:50 pm #33
Here's the allocation of services to stands in Eldon Square and Haymarket circa March 1985.

.jpg
HAymarket and eldon Square.jpg
Size 307.12 KB / Downloads 43

The buses I used to get were initially allocated to Stand F before switching to Stand D sometime in the 1990s.
Edited 08 Jan 2015, 3:52 pm by MurdnunoC.
MurdnunoC
08 Jan 2015, 3:50 pm #33

Here's the allocation of services to stands in Eldon Square and Haymarket circa March 1985.

.jpg
HAymarket and eldon Square.jpg
Size 307.12 KB / Downloads 43

The buses I used to get were initially allocated to Stand F before switching to Stand D sometime in the 1990s.

Andreos1

08 Jan 2015, 7:35 pm #34
The services at stand J, moved over to the other side, replaced by Durham Road services.
The 724 was perfect after a midweek match.

Generally always had an ex OK Olympian on too.

Andreos1
08 Jan 2015, 7:35 pm #34

The services at stand J, moved over to the other side, replaced by Durham Road services.

MurdnunoC

08 Jan 2015, 9:13 pm #35
(08 Jan 2015, 7:35 pm)Andreos1 The services at stand J, moved over to the other side, replaced by Durham Road services.

I believe the services at stand J (The Coast Rd services) were moved to the Haymarket after its redevelopment. Stagecoach/Busways services X87 and X88 (and possibly services 47/48) were also relocated there. That's probably when the reallocation of stands took place - I'm guessing it was probably around 1997/98. In 1999, I had a short stint at North Tyneside College and I definately remember using the new Haymarket Bus Station to catch the bus to Battle Hill Drive or Willington Square. 
MurdnunoC
08 Jan 2015, 9:13 pm #35

(08 Jan 2015, 7:35 pm)Andreos1 The services at stand J, moved over to the other side, replaced by Durham Road services.

I believe the services at stand J (The Coast Rd services) were moved to the Haymarket after its redevelopment. Stagecoach/Busways services X87 and X88 (and possibly services 47/48) were also relocated there. That's probably when the reallocation of stands took place - I'm guessing it was probably around 1997/98. In 1999, I had a short stint at North Tyneside College and I definately remember using the new Haymarket Bus Station to catch the bus to Battle Hill Drive or Willington Square. 

Adrian

08 Jan 2015, 9:15 pm #36
I think the Washington, Sunderland and Houghton services ended up on Stand C if I recall. 

Adrian
08 Jan 2015, 9:15 pm #36

I think the Washington, Sunderland and Houghton services ended up on Stand C if I recall. 

MurdnunoC

08 Jan 2015, 9:19 pm #37
(08 Jan 2015, 9:15 pm)aureolin I think the Washington, Sunderland and Houghton services ended up on Stand C if I recall. 

Possibly. I know the Stanley/Consett services (with exception of the 745) ended up in either Stand A or B.
MurdnunoC
08 Jan 2015, 9:19 pm #37

(08 Jan 2015, 9:15 pm)aureolin I think the Washington, Sunderland and Houghton services ended up on Stand C if I recall. 

Possibly. I know the Stanley/Consett services (with exception of the 745) ended up in either Stand A or B.

Andreos1

08 Jan 2015, 9:20 pm #38
(08 Jan 2015, 9:13 pm)MurdnunoC I believe the services at stand J (The Coast Rd services) were moved to the Haymarket after its redevelopment. Stagecoach/Busways services X87 and X88 (and possibly services 47/48) were also relocated there. That's probably when the reallocation of stands took place - I'm guessing it was probably around 1997/98. In 1999, I had a short stint at North Tyneside College and I definately remember using the new Haymarket Bus Station to catch the bus to Battle Hill Drive or Willington Square. 

Peter Beardsley opened it after its initial redesign. Think the glass panels in the roof caved in or there were issues with the surface not long afterwards. It had work done not long after it re-opened though.
Wonder if that was when the reallocation took place?

The 1997/98 time would tie in with one particularly memorable trip on the 231 (which was off the bottom stand by then).

I am wondering if there was an extra stand added to balance it out though?

edit: http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nort...ge-1618438

Aye, it was one of the middle stops. Just down from the escalators if I remember right.
Edited 08 Jan 2015, 9:23 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
08 Jan 2015, 9:20 pm #38

(08 Jan 2015, 9:13 pm)MurdnunoC I believe the services at stand J (The Coast Rd services) were moved to the Haymarket after its redevelopment. Stagecoach/Busways services X87 and X88 (and possibly services 47/48) were also relocated there. That's probably when the reallocation of stands took place - I'm guessing it was probably around 1997/98. In 1999, I had a short stint at North Tyneside College and I definately remember using the new Haymarket Bus Station to catch the bus to Battle Hill Drive or Willington Square. 

Peter Beardsley opened it after its initial redesign. Think the glass panels in the roof caved in or there were issues with the surface not long afterwards. It had work done not long after it re-opened though.
Wonder if that was when the reallocation took place?

The 1997/98 time would tie in with one particularly memorable trip on the 231 (which was off the bottom stand by then).

I am wondering if there was an extra stand added to balance it out though?

edit: http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nort...ge-1618438

Aye, it was one of the middle stops. Just down from the escalators if I remember right.

mb134

08 Jan 2015, 9:29 pm #39
Just looking at that map, did Haymarket used to be kind of flipped round from what it is now. Looks like the buses would park where you currently wait, and you would wait where they currently park? Also seems they would enter from where they exit, and exit from the current entrance?
mb134
08 Jan 2015, 9:29 pm #39

Just looking at that map, did Haymarket used to be kind of flipped round from what it is now. Looks like the buses would park where you currently wait, and you would wait where they currently park? Also seems they would enter from where they exit, and exit from the current entrance?

MurdnunoC

08 Jan 2015, 9:30 pm #40
Just found a diagram of Eldon Square/Haymarket from 1997.

.jpg
HAymarket and eldon Square 2.jpg
Size 270.48 KB / Downloads 32
MurdnunoC
08 Jan 2015, 9:30 pm #40

Just found a diagram of Eldon Square/Haymarket from 1997.

.jpg
HAymarket and eldon Square 2.jpg
Size 270.48 KB / Downloads 32

Pages (3) Previous 1 2 3 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average