Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Stagecoach North East Stagecoach North East: Service Suggestions

Stagecoach North East: Service Suggestions

Stagecoach North East: Service Suggestions

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (52) Previous 110 11 1252 Next
30 Sep 2014, 7:14 pm #201
(30 Sep 2014, 6:07 pm)Dan Based on the above discussion, I've put together something a bit more visually comprehensive... Provisionally numbered '208' for simplicity, the route is shown on the map below (hopefully it'll work):
http://goo.gl/maps/JzR0g

Service 208 is based to change in-line with the completion of the works in Sunderland. Commencing on Fawcett Street at the bus stop previously used by service 20 (outside of the former Primark building), the service runs via High Street West, Bedford Street and St. Mary's Way. A new bus stop has been created on St. Mary's Way, and this will allow links to local shops such as Argos and Marks & Spencers, as well as the Sunderland Empire. After calling at St. Mary's Way, the service runs up Silksworth Row, before proceeding via the usual route of services 8/20 to Bishopwearmouth Cemetery. From here, the service runs via Hadleigh Road, Helmsdale Road and Holborn Road (as per the current 8 route), continuing the usual route of services 8/20 to St. Anne's Primary School. From here, service 208 runs via Hylton Road and Prestbury Road (as per the current 20 route), returning to St. Anne's, and then turning into South Hylton. The service then continues the current 8 route to Claxheugh Road.

On the return journey from Claxheugh Road, service 208 runs direct up Hylton Bank, opposed to calling at the estate in South Hylton as per journey to Claxheugh Road (similar to the final 8 journey of the day to City Centre). The "Hail & Ride" style service used in this estate can be used in conjunction with the 10 minute frequency to compensate for the lack of a journey via the estate in this direction. From here, the service continues via route taken to South Hylton. At Silksworth Row, the service continues via St. Michael's Way, Albion Place, Holmeside, before reaching the terminus of Fawcett Street.

The PVR would be seven (service 8's PVR of 2 plus service 20's PVR of 5). Provisional times given on the PDF document below, loosely based on current timings of services 8/20...
The journey time of the current service 20 (City Centre to Prestbury Road) increases by 3 minutes, while the return journey (Prestbury Road to City Centre) does significantly increase (40 minutes opposed to current 19 - I did indeed underestimate the timings), though users from Prestbury Rd are in the minority, and those within walking distance of St. Anne's could easily avoid the extra journey time.
11 minutes layover time in total with service 208, compared to the current 10 minutes which service 20 has and 4 minutes which service 8 has - timings are also actually quite loose, so reliability should be less of an issue.

Thoughts/opinions?

The only benefits I can see are (i) a direct link Prestbury Road – South Hylton (in one direction only) and (ii) an increased frequency South Hylton – City Centre.

The negatives are (i) significantly increased journey time for anyone who lives West of St Annes to get into town - which is a decent chunk of Hylton Rd as well as Prestbury Road, which is admittedly presumably quiet given they knocked most of the houses down round there! (ii) slightly longer journey time for those who live in South Hylton to get out of town, (iii) longer journey time for those living in Greenbank Drive estate heading into town (presumably they would board as the bus heads through northbound to Claxheugh Road).

Doesn’t stack up for me, especially given that the frequency in South Hylton used to be higher but was curtailed to the current 30 mins, and the buses still run virtually empty most of the day.  I would think this would risk damaging the successful and busy service 20, as those passengers who use the existing 20 would not benefit from this at all and on the inbound would be significantly worse off.

If there really was a need to increase the frequency South Hylton – City Centre (and I doubt there is) I'd say it would be less disruptive to revise Service 8 to run Claxheugh Road – St Annes only (but every 10 mins, using the same 2 buses as now) with guaranteed connections to the 20 (using the same route and same 5 buses as now).  The Greenbank Drive estate would retain it’s service in both directions, inbound service 20 would remain 19 mins (or maybe a couple more mins to guarantee the connection, but still doable given the current layover time) instead of 40 mins long, and the journey time from South Hylton to City Centre would be roughly the same, but more frequent.

Be interesting to hear what others think.
Edited 30 Sep 2014, 7:15 pm by stagecoachbusdepot.
stagecoachbusdepot
30 Sep 2014, 7:14 pm #201

(30 Sep 2014, 6:07 pm)Dan Based on the above discussion, I've put together something a bit more visually comprehensive... Provisionally numbered '208' for simplicity, the route is shown on the map below (hopefully it'll work):
http://goo.gl/maps/JzR0g

Service 208 is based to change in-line with the completion of the works in Sunderland. Commencing on Fawcett Street at the bus stop previously used by service 20 (outside of the former Primark building), the service runs via High Street West, Bedford Street and St. Mary's Way. A new bus stop has been created on St. Mary's Way, and this will allow links to local shops such as Argos and Marks & Spencers, as well as the Sunderland Empire. After calling at St. Mary's Way, the service runs up Silksworth Row, before proceeding via the usual route of services 8/20 to Bishopwearmouth Cemetery. From here, the service runs via Hadleigh Road, Helmsdale Road and Holborn Road (as per the current 8 route), continuing the usual route of services 8/20 to St. Anne's Primary School. From here, service 208 runs via Hylton Road and Prestbury Road (as per the current 20 route), returning to St. Anne's, and then turning into South Hylton. The service then continues the current 8 route to Claxheugh Road.

On the return journey from Claxheugh Road, service 208 runs direct up Hylton Bank, opposed to calling at the estate in South Hylton as per journey to Claxheugh Road (similar to the final 8 journey of the day to City Centre). The "Hail & Ride" style service used in this estate can be used in conjunction with the 10 minute frequency to compensate for the lack of a journey via the estate in this direction. From here, the service continues via route taken to South Hylton. At Silksworth Row, the service continues via St. Michael's Way, Albion Place, Holmeside, before reaching the terminus of Fawcett Street.

The PVR would be seven (service 8's PVR of 2 plus service 20's PVR of 5). Provisional times given on the PDF document below, loosely based on current timings of services 8/20...
The journey time of the current service 20 (City Centre to Prestbury Road) increases by 3 minutes, while the return journey (Prestbury Road to City Centre) does significantly increase (40 minutes opposed to current 19 - I did indeed underestimate the timings), though users from Prestbury Rd are in the minority, and those within walking distance of St. Anne's could easily avoid the extra journey time.
11 minutes layover time in total with service 208, compared to the current 10 minutes which service 20 has and 4 minutes which service 8 has - timings are also actually quite loose, so reliability should be less of an issue.

Thoughts/opinions?

The only benefits I can see are (i) a direct link Prestbury Road – South Hylton (in one direction only) and (ii) an increased frequency South Hylton – City Centre.

The negatives are (i) significantly increased journey time for anyone who lives West of St Annes to get into town - which is a decent chunk of Hylton Rd as well as Prestbury Road, which is admittedly presumably quiet given they knocked most of the houses down round there! (ii) slightly longer journey time for those who live in South Hylton to get out of town, (iii) longer journey time for those living in Greenbank Drive estate heading into town (presumably they would board as the bus heads through northbound to Claxheugh Road).

Doesn’t stack up for me, especially given that the frequency in South Hylton used to be higher but was curtailed to the current 30 mins, and the buses still run virtually empty most of the day.  I would think this would risk damaging the successful and busy service 20, as those passengers who use the existing 20 would not benefit from this at all and on the inbound would be significantly worse off.

If there really was a need to increase the frequency South Hylton – City Centre (and I doubt there is) I'd say it would be less disruptive to revise Service 8 to run Claxheugh Road – St Annes only (but every 10 mins, using the same 2 buses as now) with guaranteed connections to the 20 (using the same route and same 5 buses as now).  The Greenbank Drive estate would retain it’s service in both directions, inbound service 20 would remain 19 mins (or maybe a couple more mins to guarantee the connection, but still doable given the current layover time) instead of 40 mins long, and the journey time from South Hylton to City Centre would be roughly the same, but more frequent.

Be interesting to hear what others think.

col87

30 Sep 2014, 8:40 pm #202
(30 Sep 2014, 6:42 am)benambro well, not to be rude but at least Teesside is getting new buses! The heaviest loading of the 37/38 i've seen are 6 people standing, with one or two seats free at the back. I have seen more on the 36 and it will suffer without them extra few seats but I'm not so sure on it needing deckers, if it was the principle route between Stockton and Middlesbrough then yes, but more people seem to opt for the X1/X66 now.

Which is fine if your in Stockton going to Middlesbrough but let me remind you the 36 is the only service between Stockton and Hartlepool and the closer you get to Christmas the more people use it same during the hollidays and on weekends it gets full. Also peak time journeys the 36 gets full before it leaves Middlesbrough bus station
col87
30 Sep 2014, 8:40 pm #202

(30 Sep 2014, 6:42 am)benambro well, not to be rude but at least Teesside is getting new buses! The heaviest loading of the 37/38 i've seen are 6 people standing, with one or two seats free at the back. I have seen more on the 36 and it will suffer without them extra few seats but I'm not so sure on it needing deckers, if it was the principle route between Stockton and Middlesbrough then yes, but more people seem to opt for the X1/X66 now.

Which is fine if your in Stockton going to Middlesbrough but let me remind you the 36 is the only service between Stockton and Hartlepool and the closer you get to Christmas the more people use it same during the hollidays and on weekends it gets full. Also peak time journeys the 36 gets full before it leaves Middlesbrough bus station

col87

30 Sep 2014, 9:02 pm #203
Looking at the branding it looks like the 36 could be getting split into two journeys with a change at North Tees Hospital it just what lt looks like on the branding I know the Hartlepool - North Tees service is definate
col87
30 Sep 2014, 9:02 pm #203

Looking at the branding it looks like the 36 could be getting split into two journeys with a change at North Tees Hospital it just what lt looks like on the branding I know the Hartlepool - North Tees service is definate

Kuyoyo

05 Oct 2014, 7:58 pm #204
(30 Sep 2014, 9:02 pm)col87 Looking at the branding it looks like the 36 could be getting split into two journeys with a change at North Tees Hospital it just what lt looks like on the branding  I know the Hartlepool - North Tees service is definate

Well, unless there's further registrations to be cleared by the traffic commissioner, then there is no Hartlepool to North Tees Hospital commercial service being introduced by Stagecoach.
Kuyoyo
05 Oct 2014, 7:58 pm #204

(30 Sep 2014, 9:02 pm)col87 Looking at the branding it looks like the 36 could be getting split into two journeys with a change at North Tees Hospital it just what lt looks like on the branding  I know the Hartlepool - North Tees service is definate

Well, unless there's further registrations to be cleared by the traffic commissioner, then there is no Hartlepool to North Tees Hospital commercial service being introduced by Stagecoach.

Cock Robin

18 Oct 2014, 10:20 am #205
(05 Oct 2014, 7:58 pm)Kuyoyo Well, unless there's further registrations to be cleared by the traffic commissioner, then there is no Hartlepool to North Tees Hospital commercial service being introduced by Stagecoach.

It could be done as a variation of an existing service. If they can get away with doing that for the new 10...
Cock Robin
18 Oct 2014, 10:20 am #205

(05 Oct 2014, 7:58 pm)Kuyoyo Well, unless there's further registrations to be cleared by the traffic commissioner, then there is no Hartlepool to North Tees Hospital commercial service being introduced by Stagecoach.

It could be done as a variation of an existing service. If they can get away with doing that for the new 10...

tyresmoke

18 Oct 2014, 8:17 pm #206
(18 Oct 2014, 10:20 am)Cock Robin It could be done as a variation of an existing service. If they can get away with doing that for the new 10...

I've seen the changes and there isn't one. There is an existing shuttle bus between the hospitals to cater for any direct demand.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
18 Oct 2014, 8:17 pm #206

(18 Oct 2014, 10:20 am)Cock Robin It could be done as a variation of an existing service. If they can get away with doing that for the new 10...

I've seen the changes and there isn't one. There is an existing shuttle bus between the hospitals to cater for any direct demand.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

col87

29 Oct 2014, 9:57 pm #207
(18 Oct 2014, 8:17 pm)tyresmoke I've seen the changes and there isn't one. There is an existing shuttle bus between the hospitals to cater for any direct demand.

You cant have seen the changes as the office staff and drivers dont seem to even know that much apart from the shuttle service between Park End and the bus station so there is still a small chance that they may be some sort of service between the North Tees Hospital and Hartlepool all it says on VOSA is that there were changes so it dont mean a lot at the min. That shuttle service is mostley for staff public seem to be expected to make there own way there.
col87
29 Oct 2014, 9:57 pm #207

(18 Oct 2014, 8:17 pm)tyresmoke I've seen the changes and there isn't one. There is an existing shuttle bus between the hospitals to cater for any direct demand.

You cant have seen the changes as the office staff and drivers dont seem to even know that much apart from the shuttle service between Park End and the bus station so there is still a small chance that they may be some sort of service between the North Tees Hospital and Hartlepool all it says on VOSA is that there were changes so it dont mean a lot at the min. That shuttle service is mostley for staff public seem to be expected to make there own way there.

Kuyoyo

29 Oct 2014, 10:03 pm #208
(29 Oct 2014, 9:57 pm)col87 You cant have seen the changes as the office staff and drivers dont seem to even know that much apart from the shuttle service between Park End and the bus station so there is still a small chance that they may be some sort of service between the North Tees Hospital and Hartlepool all it says on VOSA is that there were changes so it dont mean a lot at the min.  That shuttle service is mostley for staff public seem to be expected to make there own way there.

He has - we all now have seen the revised map, and there's no North Tees Hospital to Hartlepool service.
Kuyoyo
29 Oct 2014, 10:03 pm #208

(29 Oct 2014, 9:57 pm)col87 You cant have seen the changes as the office staff and drivers dont seem to even know that much apart from the shuttle service between Park End and the bus station so there is still a small chance that they may be some sort of service between the North Tees Hospital and Hartlepool all it says on VOSA is that there were changes so it dont mean a lot at the min.  That shuttle service is mostley for staff public seem to be expected to make there own way there.

He has - we all now have seen the revised map, and there's no North Tees Hospital to Hartlepool service.

col87

29 Oct 2014, 10:11 pm #209
(29 Oct 2014, 10:03 pm)Kuyoyo He has - we all now have seen the revised map, and there's no North Tees Hospital to Hartlepool service.

Yes i have seen it now i posted that before i saw however when I asked in the Stockton High Street office on Monday they dident seem to know what the changes were so all it seems to be is that the 36 37 38 is not serving park end anymore in my view a missed opportunity and gives another company a chance. I hope the branding does not cause any confusing to members of the public then
col87
29 Oct 2014, 10:11 pm #209

(29 Oct 2014, 10:03 pm)Kuyoyo He has - we all now have seen the revised map, and there's no North Tees Hospital to Hartlepool service.

Yes i have seen it now i posted that before i saw however when I asked in the Stockton High Street office on Monday they dident seem to know what the changes were so all it seems to be is that the 36 37 38 is not serving park end anymore in my view a missed opportunity and gives another company a chance. I hope the branding does not cause any confusing to members of the public then

beefcake

29 Oct 2014, 10:27 pm #210
If there's going to be no direct service between North Tees and Hartlepool then Stagecoach may want to look at their Hartlepool network map as it looks like they are advertising one there.
Attached Files
.png
Screenshot_2014-10-29-22-21-45.png
Size 286.84 KB / Downloads 34
beefcake
29 Oct 2014, 10:27 pm #210

If there's going to be no direct service between North Tees and Hartlepool then Stagecoach may want to look at their Hartlepool network map as it looks like they are advertising one there.

Attached Files
.png
Screenshot_2014-10-29-22-21-45.png
Size 286.84 KB / Downloads 34

col87

29 Oct 2014, 10:41 pm #211
(29 Oct 2014, 10:27 pm)beefcake If there's going to be no direct service between North Tees and Hartlepool then Stagecoach may want to look at their Hartlepool network map as it looks like they are advertising one there.

So Hartlepool say there is a service to North Tees Tesside say there isent which one is it ? There is probley enough buses in Hartlepool ( not 33101) to operate to North Tees on an hourly basis or at least a handful of Journeys a day
col87
29 Oct 2014, 10:41 pm #211

(29 Oct 2014, 10:27 pm)beefcake If there's going to be no direct service between North Tees and Hartlepool then Stagecoach may want to look at their Hartlepool network map as it looks like they are advertising one there.

So Hartlepool say there is a service to North Tees Tesside say there isent which one is it ? There is probley enough buses in Hartlepool ( not 33101) to operate to North Tees on an hourly basis or at least a handful of Journeys a day

Kuyoyo

30 Oct 2014, 9:26 am #212

That has now been formally pointed out to Stagecoach North East management so expected it to be revised (possibly also see the branding on the vehicles altered - as they also suggesting the same thing, along with a proposed idea for the 37/38 that would have seen the 38 binned, the 37 re-routed via the Glebe between Junction Road and Roseworth with the extension to North Tees Hospital axed with 2 36s an hour diverted to replace the 37, of course all that is not really commercially viable - exactly the reason why there isn't a Hartlepool-North Tees Hospital direct link other than that operated by the NHS Trust directly which is open to the public).
Kuyoyo
30 Oct 2014, 9:26 am #212

That has now been formally pointed out to Stagecoach North East management so expected it to be revised (possibly also see the branding on the vehicles altered - as they also suggesting the same thing, along with a proposed idea for the 37/38 that would have seen the 38 binned, the 37 re-routed via the Glebe between Junction Road and Roseworth with the extension to North Tees Hospital axed with 2 36s an hour diverted to replace the 37, of course all that is not really commercially viable - exactly the reason why there isn't a Hartlepool-North Tees Hospital direct link other than that operated by the NHS Trust directly which is open to the public).

cbma06

30 Oct 2014, 9:46 am #213
in the latest Sunderland map publication dated June 2014, its advertising that you can go to crowtree leisure centre and play badminton, football, volleyball etc.. etc..

cbma06
30 Oct 2014, 9:46 am #213

in the latest Sunderland map publication dated June 2014, its advertising that you can go to crowtree leisure centre and play badminton, football, volleyball etc.. etc..

Multi21

30 Oct 2014, 9:46 am #214
(30 Oct 2014, 9:26 am)Kuyoyo That has now been formally pointed out to Stagecoach North East management so expected it to be revised (possibly also see the branding on the vehicles altered - as they also suggesting the same thing, along with a proposed idea for the 37/38 that would have seen the 38 binned, the 37 re-routed via the Glebe between Junction Road and Roseworth with the extension to North Tees Hospital axed with 2 36s an hour diverted to replace the 37, of course all that is not really commercially viable - exactly the reason why there isn't a Hartlepool-North Tees Hospital direct link other than that operated by the NHS Trust directly which is open to the public).

Tony, I personally believe this was the plan if you remember the first time we saw a publication about "the zone" it said services 36/37 and service 39. Now they have reinstated the 38 and dropped the 39 from the brand!

If anyone was wondering where the non DDA compliant MANs will go my guess will be 39 
Multi21
30 Oct 2014, 9:46 am #214

(30 Oct 2014, 9:26 am)Kuyoyo That has now been formally pointed out to Stagecoach North East management so expected it to be revised (possibly also see the branding on the vehicles altered - as they also suggesting the same thing, along with a proposed idea for the 37/38 that would have seen the 38 binned, the 37 re-routed via the Glebe between Junction Road and Roseworth with the extension to North Tees Hospital axed with 2 36s an hour diverted to replace the 37, of course all that is not really commercially viable - exactly the reason why there isn't a Hartlepool-North Tees Hospital direct link other than that operated by the NHS Trust directly which is open to the public).

Tony, I personally believe this was the plan if you remember the first time we saw a publication about "the zone" it said services 36/37 and service 39. Now they have reinstated the 38 and dropped the 39 from the brand!

If anyone was wondering where the non DDA compliant MANs will go my guess will be 39 

Kuyoyo

30 Oct 2014, 10:02 am #215
(30 Oct 2014, 9:46 am)Multi21 Tony, I personally believe this was the plan if you remember the first time we saw a publication about "the zone" it said services 36/37 and service 39. Now they have reinstated the 38 and dropped the 39 from the brand!

BIB: 39 is interworking with 12s, so that will likely be the MAN E300s. No doubt the non-DDA MANs will be found on a mixture of 13, 14/34 and 59/61 maybe even 10/11, 35/52 and 35/58. Lets also not forget that the 36/37/38 will be a combined PVR of 17 with 25 E300s so no doubt the spare examples will be found elsewhere as well.
Kuyoyo
30 Oct 2014, 10:02 am #215

(30 Oct 2014, 9:46 am)Multi21 Tony, I personally believe this was the plan if you remember the first time we saw a publication about "the zone" it said services 36/37 and service 39. Now they have reinstated the 38 and dropped the 39 from the brand!

BIB: 39 is interworking with 12s, so that will likely be the MAN E300s. No doubt the non-DDA MANs will be found on a mixture of 13, 14/34 and 59/61 maybe even 10/11, 35/52 and 35/58. Lets also not forget that the 36/37/38 will be a combined PVR of 17 with 25 E300s so no doubt the spare examples will be found elsewhere as well.

col87

30 Oct 2014, 4:15 pm #216
Why wouldent a Hartlepool -North Tees hospital service be viable. A lot more people from Hartlepool use north tees then people from Middlesbrough do yet the 37 does jusr that. So if done right like the 36 idea it may have worked.
col87
30 Oct 2014, 4:15 pm #216

Why wouldent a Hartlepool -North Tees hospital service be viable. A lot more people from Hartlepool use north tees then people from Middlesbrough do yet the 37 does jusr that. So if done right like the 36 idea it may have worked.

Cock Robin

30 Oct 2014, 7:19 pm #217

Why 'of course' is that not commercially viable? Looks like it was planned originally.
Cock Robin
30 Oct 2014, 7:19 pm #217

Why 'of course' is that not commercially viable? Looks like it was planned originally.

30 Oct 2014, 7:47 pm #218
In my experience, it's usually better to wait until the timetables are released, simply because there are too many speculations flying around that get carried away. I have driven many 37's and in my own experience have never carried lots of people to either North Tees or James Cook. I would say I've carried more on the 59. As for the branding which I made a note that the destination links are just that rather than routes. There was speculation with fellow drivers that the 38 was a dead loss but the VOSA application stated changes not cancellation. There are other things to consider regarding routes and timings coming early next year so these changes now would possibly be the main changes with some minor adjustments to follow. The plot thickens....
bertibassett
30 Oct 2014, 7:47 pm #218

In my experience, it's usually better to wait until the timetables are released, simply because there are too many speculations flying around that get carried away. I have driven many 37's and in my own experience have never carried lots of people to either North Tees or James Cook. I would say I've carried more on the 59. As for the branding which I made a note that the destination links are just that rather than routes. There was speculation with fellow drivers that the 38 was a dead loss but the VOSA application stated changes not cancellation. There are other things to consider regarding routes and timings coming early next year so these changes now would possibly be the main changes with some minor adjustments to follow. The plot thickens....

Kuyoyo

30 Oct 2014, 9:27 pm #219
Times for the majority of the Teesside changes are now available through the Traveline Journey Planner - but for the benefits of some here, here are the 36/37/38 times (using a randomly chosen 10am)

.pdf
36 37 38 Weekday December 2014.pdf
Size 26.23 KB / Downloads 53
Kuyoyo
30 Oct 2014, 9:27 pm #219

Times for the majority of the Teesside changes are now available through the Traveline Journey Planner - but for the benefits of some here, here are the 36/37/38 times (using a randomly chosen 10am)

.pdf
36 37 38 Weekday December 2014.pdf
Size 26.23 KB / Downloads 53

30 Oct 2014, 9:42 pm #220
(30 Oct 2014, 9:27 pm)Kuyoyo Times for the majority of the Teesside changes are now available through the Traveline Journey Planner - but for the benefits of some here, here are the 36/37/38 times (using a randomly chosen 10am)
Where was this information obtained? I'd like a preview
bertibassett
30 Oct 2014, 9:42 pm #220

(30 Oct 2014, 9:27 pm)Kuyoyo Times for the majority of the Teesside changes are now available through the Traveline Journey Planner - but for the benefits of some here, here are the 36/37/38 times (using a randomly chosen 10am)
Where was this information obtained? I'd like a preview

Pages (52) Previous 110 11 1252 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average