Menu

North East Buses The Site Problems & Suggestions Quoting Woes

Quoting Woes

Quoting Woes

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

gtom

Banned

11 Aug 2013, 6:46 pm #1
Just wondering out loud here but when I quote a reply to a thread, is there a way to not quote the rest of the conversation?

Ie

I like Buses

I like buses too

I like red buses

I like yellow ones

I know I can delete it but with most I'm thinking VBulletin it would only quote the last quote. If someone doesn't delete it can add a huge length to threads.

Just wondering if its a default setting or if you guys prefer it that way?
gtom
11 Aug 2013, 6:46 pm #1

Just wondering out loud here but when I quote a reply to a thread, is there a way to not quote the rest of the conversation?

Ie

I like Buses

I like buses too

I like red buses

I like yellow ones

I know I can delete it but with most I'm thinking VBulletin it would only quote the last quote. If someone doesn't delete it can add a huge length to threads.

Just wondering if its a default setting or if you guys prefer it that way?

Dan

Site Administrator

11 Aug 2013, 6:50 pm #2
I don't think it's down to preference as chain quotes irritate most. I'm a chief culprit of chain quoting too, but it's ultimately down to laziness with me - deleting all of the other quotes seems like so much of a chore.

I do think most of us would appreciate it if such a setting existed to enable last post only quoting. I'll have a look in the admin panel, but I'm guessing it's something Liam will have to code himself if a little button can't fix it there!
Dan
11 Aug 2013, 6:50 pm #2

I don't think it's down to preference as chain quotes irritate most. I'm a chief culprit of chain quoting too, but it's ultimately down to laziness with me - deleting all of the other quotes seems like so much of a chore.

I do think most of us would appreciate it if such a setting existed to enable last post only quoting. I'll have a look in the admin panel, but I'm guessing it's something Liam will have to code himself if a little button can't fix it there!

Dan

Site Administrator

11 Aug 2013, 6:56 pm #3
The maximum amount of inner quotes previously allowed was five it seems, looking at the settings.
I've changed this to allow only one quote (the most recent) as requested.
Dan
11 Aug 2013, 6:56 pm #3

The maximum amount of inner quotes previously allowed was five it seems, looking at the settings.
I've changed this to allow only one quote (the most recent) as requested.

Andreos1

29 Sep 2014, 3:19 pm #4
Different to gtom's original issue - but does anyone have any idea how to quote multiple times in one post or change where the quote is in the reply?

Prior to the changes, I could enter content, quote someone and reply to that.
When posting a reply now - it doesn't seem possible to do that now, nor include multiple quotes/individual responses.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
29 Sep 2014, 3:19 pm #4

Different to gtom's original issue - but does anyone have any idea how to quote multiple times in one post or change where the quote is in the reply?

When posting a reply now - it doesn't seem possible to do that now, nor include multiple quotes/individual responses.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Dan

Site Administrator

29 Sep 2014, 3:54 pm #5
(29 Sep 2014, 3:19 pm)Andreos1 Different to gtom's original issue - but does anyone have any idea how to quote multiple times in one post or change where the quote is in the reply?

Click 'Quote' on all the posts you wish to quote, and then click 'Reply' on the final post you wish to quote.
I dread to think of what the outcome will be for those with quoting issues...
Dan
29 Sep 2014, 3:54 pm #5

(29 Sep 2014, 3:19 pm)Andreos1 Different to gtom's original issue - but does anyone have any idea how to quote multiple times in one post or change where the quote is in the reply?

Click 'Quote' on all the posts you wish to quote, and then click 'Reply' on the final post you wish to quote.
I dread to think of what the outcome will be for those with quoting issues...

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average