Menu

North East Buses The Canteen General off-topic chat Non-Bus Related Days Out!

Non-Bus Related Days Out!

Non-Bus Related Days Out!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (7) 1 2 37 Next
Tom

26 Aug 2013, 8:37 am #1
I thought it would be a nice idea to start up this thread. Feel free to post your days out, and also recommendations!
Tom
26 Aug 2013, 8:37 am #1

I thought it would be a nice idea to start up this thread. Feel free to post your days out, and also recommendations!

Tom

26 Aug 2013, 9:02 am #2
Well, I'm in London for the week!

I didn't really do much yesterday, due to our big trip to Brighton, but Saturday was a great day! I decided I would like to visit the transport museum in Covent Garden. I had to wait 10-15 minutes in the queue on a rainy day, but it wasn't too bad as it was undercover. The admission prices are £15 (Under 16's go free) which is good value! I won't give to much away though, for all those who might visit! They have special exhibitions on the Mezzanine floor, and thid time the exhibition was ''Art of the Posters'' which is basically a collection of Underground posters from the past and present. After looking around, you can browse around the shop, our have lunch in the upper deck cafe. Sadly, I forgot to put my camera battery in my camera which was pretty annoying.

Anyway, we walked along to Leicster Square and noticed M&M world! I walked in, and instantly could smell a horrid sickly smell of Chocolate. The store was four floors, and each floor was filled with overpriced merchandise (T-Shirts, Mugs etc.). I saw a M&M Pick N' Mix and got a bag for £8, and only got half as bag, if not less! It's all right for one-off purchases though. You have to stand in a very long queue too!

After my disappointment with M&M's world, we went to Haagen Dazs not too far away! And this, was a amazing! The menu had Pasteries, Crepes, Ice Cream (millions of flavours, some of which only available in shops), Sundaes, Shakes and for the adults Cocktails! I went for Salted Caramel Ice Cream with Hot Butterscotch Sauce, and other family members went for Apple Crumble Pie, Crepes and Shakes which all looked amazing!

Anyway, I'm of to Brighton (with my camera) so might have some photos on Flickr tonight or possibly later in the week!
Tom
26 Aug 2013, 9:02 am #2

Well, I'm in London for the week!

I didn't really do much yesterday, due to our big trip to Brighton, but Saturday was a great day! I decided I would like to visit the transport museum in Covent Garden. I had to wait 10-15 minutes in the queue on a rainy day, but it wasn't too bad as it was undercover. The admission prices are £15 (Under 16's go free) which is good value! I won't give to much away though, for all those who might visit! They have special exhibitions on the Mezzanine floor, and thid time the exhibition was ''Art of the Posters'' which is basically a collection of Underground posters from the past and present. After looking around, you can browse around the shop, our have lunch in the upper deck cafe. Sadly, I forgot to put my camera battery in my camera which was pretty annoying.

Anyway, we walked along to Leicster Square and noticed M&M world! I walked in, and instantly could smell a horrid sickly smell of Chocolate. The store was four floors, and each floor was filled with overpriced merchandise (T-Shirts, Mugs etc.). I saw a M&M Pick N' Mix and got a bag for £8, and only got half as bag, if not less! It's all right for one-off purchases though. You have to stand in a very long queue too!

After my disappointment with M&M's world, we went to Haagen Dazs not too far away! And this, was a amazing! The menu had Pasteries, Crepes, Ice Cream (millions of flavours, some of which only available in shops), Sundaes, Shakes and for the adults Cocktails! I went for Salted Caramel Ice Cream with Hot Butterscotch Sauce, and other family members went for Apple Crumble Pie, Crepes and Shakes which all looked amazing!

Anyway, I'm of to Brighton (with my camera) so might have some photos on Flickr tonight or possibly later in the week!

Adrian

26 Aug 2013, 10:40 am #3
Sounds awesome. I'd love to go to London for a full week and just visit everywhere I want to visit. Whenever I'm down, it's with work, so I have very limited time to myself (usually early morning and evening/night only). I did manage to get to the Millennium Dome when that was open in 99 though - not as good as the hype mind. I've also been on the London Eye a couple of times, which is just amazing if you like views! I think if I did end up going down for a week, I'd just get one of the four in one tickets that get you into Madame Tussauds, London Eye, Sea Life, and the London Dungeon. I think they're about £55.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
26 Aug 2013, 10:40 am #3

Sounds awesome. I'd love to go to London for a full week and just visit everywhere I want to visit. Whenever I'm down, it's with work, so I have very limited time to myself (usually early morning and evening/night only). I did manage to get to the Millennium Dome when that was open in 99 though - not as good as the hype mind. I've also been on the London Eye a couple of times, which is just amazing if you like views! I think if I did end up going down for a week, I'd just get one of the four in one tickets that get you into Madame Tussauds, London Eye, Sea Life, and the London Dungeon. I think they're about £55.

MurdnunoC

26 Aug 2013, 11:44 am #4
Although I appreciate it won't appeal to everyone, but if you're ever in London and enjoy perusing old documents, a visit to the National Archives at Kew is a must. Sometimes at archives you are made to feel quite unwelcome, especially if it's just a general visit of interest rather than one of specific research. This atmosphere doesn't exist at the National Archives and people seem glad to both help and see you.

Although this isn't a day-out as such, watching the amount of trains going through Clapham Junction is an interesting way to spend half-an-hour or so if the opportunity arises.
MurdnunoC
26 Aug 2013, 11:44 am #4

Although I appreciate it won't appeal to everyone, but if you're ever in London and enjoy perusing old documents, a visit to the National Archives at Kew is a must. Sometimes at archives you are made to feel quite unwelcome, especially if it's just a general visit of interest rather than one of specific research. This atmosphere doesn't exist at the National Archives and people seem glad to both help and see you.

Although this isn't a day-out as such, watching the amount of trains going through Clapham Junction is an interesting way to spend half-an-hour or so if the opportunity arises.

Tom

18 Sep 2013, 6:56 am #5
I'll probably be making a trip to either Leeds or York in the October half-term. What one is the best to go to?
Tom
18 Sep 2013, 6:56 am #5

I'll probably be making a trip to either Leeds or York in the October half-term. What one is the best to go to?

Andreos1

18 Sep 2013, 6:59 am #6
(18 Sep 2013, 6:56 am)W179SCU I'll probably be making a trip to either Leeds or York in the October half-term. What one is the best to go to?

I prefer York.
Obviously that is just my preference. It just depends what you are into and what you want to do when you're there
Andreos1
18 Sep 2013, 6:59 am #6

(18 Sep 2013, 6:56 am)W179SCU I'll probably be making a trip to either Leeds or York in the October half-term. What one is the best to go to?

I prefer York.
Obviously that is just my preference. It just depends what you are into and what you want to do when you're there

Tom

18 Sep 2013, 7:16 am #7
(18 Sep 2013, 6:59 am)Andreos1 I prefer York.

Thanks! - Whats at York and Leeds?
Tom
18 Sep 2013, 7:16 am #7

(18 Sep 2013, 6:59 am)Andreos1 I prefer York.

Thanks! - Whats at York and Leeds?

Andreos1

18 Sep 2013, 7:37 am #8
(18 Sep 2013, 7:16 am)W179SCU Thanks! - Whats at York and Leeds?

The visit york website is chocker blocker with info. Sure there is something to float your boat.

Leeds, less so. There is stuff to do, but no different to many other cities.
York has something unique and different
Andreos1
18 Sep 2013, 7:37 am #8

(18 Sep 2013, 7:16 am)W179SCU Thanks! - Whats at York and Leeds?

The visit york website is chocker blocker with info. Sure there is something to float your boat.

Leeds, less so. There is stuff to do, but no different to many other cities.
York has something unique and different

Tom

18 Sep 2013, 3:19 pm #9
Thanks very much! - York is the one I think!
Tom
18 Sep 2013, 3:19 pm #9

Thanks very much! - York is the one I think!

Andreos1

18 Sep 2013, 3:34 pm #10
(18 Sep 2013, 3:19 pm)W179SCU Thanks very much! - York is the one I think!

If you are after a bite to eat, there are plenty places - some better than others, but plenty choice, especially off the main drag and hidden down alleys or lanes.
I think it is called Mr Sandwich, it is located on The Shambles, but it is a tiny little shop which does dirt cheap, freshly made sandwiches.
(here it is: www.mrsandwichyork.co.uk/SandwichMenu.htm) last time (and every time before that) I was in, every sandwich was a quid. It possibly still is!

Better than the brand name stuff that you can get anywhere and everywhere.
Andreos1
18 Sep 2013, 3:34 pm #10

(18 Sep 2013, 3:19 pm)W179SCU Thanks very much! - York is the one I think!

If you are after a bite to eat, there are plenty places - some better than others, but plenty choice, especially off the main drag and hidden down alleys or lanes.
I think it is called Mr Sandwich, it is located on The Shambles, but it is a tiny little shop which does dirt cheap, freshly made sandwiches.
(here it is: www.mrsandwichyork.co.uk/SandwichMenu.htm) last time (and every time before that) I was in, every sandwich was a quid. It possibly still is!

Better than the brand name stuff that you can get anywhere and everywhere.

Dan

Site Administrator

18 Sep 2013, 3:37 pm #11
Can only second what Andreos1 has said above. For me, York is much more of a tourist destination than Leeds.
An "All Day Breakfast sandwich" sounds amazing too.
Dan
18 Sep 2013, 3:37 pm #11

Can only second what Andreos1 has said above. For me, York is much more of a tourist destination than Leeds.

Andreos1

18 Sep 2013, 3:55 pm #12
(18 Sep 2013, 3:37 pm)Daniel Can only second what Andreos1 has said above. For me, York is much more of a tourist destination than Leeds.

Never had that one, but I'm not a lover of eggs.

This place is good to eat too www.insideyork.co.uk/restaurants/italian/lospuntino.html - basically turn right out of the station, turn right at Micklegate Bar traffic lights and walk past a few pubs until you see this place on your right hand side.
Lovely food, always full of Italian locals. Yet to see Marco Gabbiadini in the place mind Wink.
The service can be slow mind and the staff 'Italian', but the food is better than a lot of busier competitors.

For a City I have slept in, worked in, partied in and visited on an all too often basis, there is always something new to find or come across.
Love the place.
Andreos1
18 Sep 2013, 3:55 pm #12

(18 Sep 2013, 3:37 pm)Daniel Can only second what Andreos1 has said above. For me, York is much more of a tourist destination than Leeds.

Never had that one, but I'm not a lover of eggs.

This place is good to eat too www.insideyork.co.uk/restaurants/italian/lospuntino.html - basically turn right out of the station, turn right at Micklegate Bar traffic lights and walk past a few pubs until you see this place on your right hand side.
Lovely food, always full of Italian locals. Yet to see Marco Gabbiadini in the place mind Wink.
The service can be slow mind and the staff 'Italian', but the food is better than a lot of busier competitors.

For a City I have slept in, worked in, partied in and visited on an all too often basis, there is always something new to find or come across.
Love the place.

Tom

18 Sep 2013, 4:20 pm #13
(18 Sep 2013, 3:55 pm)Andreos1 Never had that one, but I'm not a lover of eggs.

Love the place.

Pizza is my favourite! - I'll have to go to that one sometime! Out of interest, have any of you guys been to Sambuca?
Tom
18 Sep 2013, 4:20 pm #13

(18 Sep 2013, 3:55 pm)Andreos1 Never had that one, but I'm not a lover of eggs.

Love the place.

Pizza is my favourite! - I'll have to go to that one sometime! Out of interest, have any of you guys been to Sambuca?

Adrian

18 Sep 2013, 5:58 pm #14
Salad on an all day breakfast is so wrong. It should always look like this:

[Image: breakfast-roll-egg-bacon-sausages-15509303.jpg]

Adrian
18 Sep 2013, 5:58 pm #14

Salad on an all day breakfast is so wrong. It should always look like this:

Dan

Site Administrator

18 Sep 2013, 6:07 pm #15
(18 Sep 2013, 5:58 pm)aureolin Salad on an all day breakfast is so wrong. It should always look like this:

Stop..stop!
You're making me hungry!
Dan
18 Sep 2013, 6:07 pm #15

(18 Sep 2013, 5:58 pm)aureolin Salad on an all day breakfast is so wrong. It should always look like this:

Stop..stop!
You're making me hungry!

Tom

18 Sep 2013, 6:12 pm #16
That looks delicious! :L
Edited 18 Sep 2013, 6:13 pm by Tom.
Tom
18 Sep 2013, 6:12 pm #16

That looks delicious! :L

Tom

20 Sep 2013, 5:11 pm #17
Is Manchester good? If so, how would I get there (well, what is the cheapest option)?
Tom
20 Sep 2013, 5:11 pm #17

Is Manchester good? If so, how would I get there (well, what is the cheapest option)?

Dan

Site Administrator

20 Sep 2013, 5:17 pm #18
I'm personally not keen on Manchester, but have only been there for buses.
Dan
20 Sep 2013, 5:17 pm #18

I'm personally not keen on Manchester, but have only been there for buses.

Tom

20 Sep 2013, 5:19 pm #19
(20 Sep 2013, 5:17 pm)Daniel I'm personally not keen on Manchester, but have only been there for buses.

How did you get there like?
Tom
20 Sep 2013, 5:19 pm #19

(20 Sep 2013, 5:17 pm)Daniel I'm personally not keen on Manchester, but have only been there for buses.

How did you get there like?

Andreos1

20 Sep 2013, 5:28 pm #20
(20 Sep 2013, 5:11 pm)W179SCU Is Manchester good? If so, how would I get there (well, what is the cheapest option)?

Like Daniel, I am not keen on Manchester.
But different people like different things.
For me, it has never been the same since they closed the Granada Studios tour Wink

Wherever you go, there will be something to do, but going back to my previous point with Leeds - Manchester is as much the same as any other city.

When you go to these places, what sort of things are you planning to do?

The Megabus goes via Manchester on its tour of the country. TPX offer decent tickets or you could go via Carlisle and get a train from there.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
20 Sep 2013, 5:28 pm #20

(20 Sep 2013, 5:11 pm)W179SCU Is Manchester good? If so, how would I get there (well, what is the cheapest option)?

Like Daniel, I am not keen on Manchester.
But different people like different things.
For me, it has never been the same since they closed the Granada Studios tour Wink

Wherever you go, there will be something to do, but going back to my previous point with Leeds - Manchester is as much the same as any other city.

When you go to these places, what sort of things are you planning to do?

The Megabus goes via Manchester on its tour of the country. TPX offer decent tickets or you could go via Carlisle and get a train from there.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Pages (7) 1 2 37 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average