Menu

North East Buses The Canteen General off-topic chat Non-Bus Related Days Out!

Non-Bus Related Days Out!

Non-Bus Related Days Out!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (7) Previous 1 2 37 Next
Dan

Site Administrator

20 Sep 2013, 5:31 pm #21
I went via Carlisle (as A1 said above), on a 4 in 8 day Freedom train ticket.

Megabus Wednesdays are good for days out like that too.
Dan
20 Sep 2013, 5:31 pm #21

I went via Carlisle (as A1 said above), on a 4 in 8 day Freedom train ticket.

Megabus Wednesdays are good for days out like that too.

Tom

20 Sep 2013, 5:32 pm #22
(20 Sep 2013, 5:28 pm)Andreos1 Like Daniel, I am not keen on Manchester.
But different people like different things.
For me, it has never been the same since they closed the Granada Studios tour Wink

Wherever you go, there will be something to do, but going back to my previous point with Leeds - Manchester is as much the same as any other city.

When you go to these places, what sort of things are you planning to do?

The Megabus goes via Manchester on its tour of the country. TPX offer decent tickets or you could go via Carlisle and get a train from there.

I wouldn't be alone, I'd be with parents. I mean, they like shopping and attractions too. I'd also like a place with good buses though!
Tom
20 Sep 2013, 5:32 pm #22

(20 Sep 2013, 5:28 pm)Andreos1 Like Daniel, I am not keen on Manchester.
But different people like different things.
For me, it has never been the same since they closed the Granada Studios tour Wink

Wherever you go, there will be something to do, but going back to my previous point with Leeds - Manchester is as much the same as any other city.

When you go to these places, what sort of things are you planning to do?

The Megabus goes via Manchester on its tour of the country. TPX offer decent tickets or you could go via Carlisle and get a train from there.

I wouldn't be alone, I'd be with parents. I mean, they like shopping and attractions too. I'd also like a place with good buses though!

Andreos1

20 Sep 2013, 5:45 pm #23
(20 Sep 2013, 5:32 pm)W179SCU I wouldn't be alone, I'd be with parents. I mean, they like shopping and attractions too. I'd also like a place with good buses though!

Ah right haha. Here's me thinking you were taking a lass or going with your mates!
Didn't realise.

Whey if you go on the train and you fall in the right age group, you should get one of your parents to look at the annual family & friends railcard.
Pick up the leaflet at the station for the discount code, but order online.
For £27 you get 50% of your fares and they got 1/3 each off theirs.
You can be in pocket after one journey, depending where you go.

The York Ftr's are now in Leeds (or they were the last time I was there). Apart from that, I don't think there is much different or unique in either place.
York, Leeds and Manchester all have a stack of shops. York has some unique, independent stores and the other two, giant chain stores.
York has the railway museum and model railway museum, Leeds has the Armouries and Manchester an indoor Legoland...

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
20 Sep 2013, 5:45 pm #23

(20 Sep 2013, 5:32 pm)W179SCU I wouldn't be alone, I'd be with parents. I mean, they like shopping and attractions too. I'd also like a place with good buses though!

Ah right haha. Here's me thinking you were taking a lass or going with your mates!
Didn't realise.

Whey if you go on the train and you fall in the right age group, you should get one of your parents to look at the annual family & friends railcard.

The York Ftr's are now in Leeds (or they were the last time I was there). Apart from that, I don't think there is much different or unique in either place.
York, Leeds and Manchester all have a stack of shops. York has some unique, independent stores and the other two, giant chain stores.
York has the railway museum and model railway museum, Leeds has the Armouries and Manchester an indoor Legoland...

Tom

20 Sep 2013, 5:52 pm #24
(20 Sep 2013, 5:45 pm)Andreos1 Ah right haha. Here's me thinking you were taking a lass or going with your mates!
Didn't realise.

Thanks very much! - And no, I don't think my parents would be happy me going down to Leeds/York/Manchester on my own at my age Smile

York and Leeds are now my two options. Looking at fares, it would cost us £83 there and back (great value) if we went on Wed 30th October. Megabus there, train back to Leeds.

I fancy Leeds City Museum too, four floors of exciting stuff apparently. Any idea what Megabus I would get if I went to Leeds at 0840?
Tom
20 Sep 2013, 5:52 pm #24

(20 Sep 2013, 5:45 pm)Andreos1 Ah right haha. Here's me thinking you were taking a lass or going with your mates!
Didn't realise.

Thanks very much! - And no, I don't think my parents would be happy me going down to Leeds/York/Manchester on my own at my age Smile

York and Leeds are now my two options. Looking at fares, it would cost us £83 there and back (great value) if we went on Wed 30th October. Megabus there, train back to Leeds.

I fancy Leeds City Museum too, four floors of exciting stuff apparently. Any idea what Megabus I would get if I went to Leeds at 0840?

Dan

Site Administrator

20 Sep 2013, 5:56 pm #25
(20 Sep 2013, 5:52 pm)W179SCU Thanks very much! - And no, I don't think my parents would be happy me going down to Leeds/York/Manchester on my own at my age Smile

The M20 - and it should be a new Elitei.
Dan
20 Sep 2013, 5:56 pm #25

(20 Sep 2013, 5:52 pm)W179SCU Thanks very much! - And no, I don't think my parents would be happy me going down to Leeds/York/Manchester on my own at my age Smile

The M20 - and it should be a new Elitei.

Andreos1

20 Sep 2013, 5:58 pm #26

I have just looked on my train tickets app and with a family and friends card - Newcastle to York return can be done for £24 (£54 if you include having to buy the card) on the 30th. That's for 2 adults and 1 under 16.

Andreos1
20 Sep 2013, 5:58 pm #26

I have just looked on my train tickets app and with a family and friends card - Newcastle to York return can be done for £24 (£54 if you include having to buy the card) on the 30th. That's for 2 adults and 1 under 16.

Adrian

20 Sep 2013, 5:59 pm #27
There's also the 16-25 railcard available. I think I paid about a tenner for mine when I was in that age group, but that was discounted when I was a member of the NUS (just as important to be in a union as it is to have a railcard Wink).

I've done Manchester regularly lately, and I quite enjoy the trip over there. The TP Express is a bit of a pain with all the stops between York and Newcastle, but it's quite quick between York and Manchester. I always feel like you have to watch your back in Manchester a bit more to other places though. Oh, and stay away Salford. Big Grin

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
20 Sep 2013, 5:59 pm #27

There's also the 16-25 railcard available. I think I paid about a tenner for mine when I was in that age group, but that was discounted when I was a member of the NUS (just as important to be in a union as it is to have a railcard Wink).

I've done Manchester regularly lately, and I quite enjoy the trip over there. The TP Express is a bit of a pain with all the stops between York and Newcastle, but it's quite quick between York and Manchester. I always feel like you have to watch your back in Manchester a bit more to other places though. Oh, and stay away Salford. Big Grin

Tom

20 Sep 2013, 6:00 pm #28
(20 Sep 2013, 5:59 pm)aureolin There's also the 16-25 railcard available. I think I paid about a tenner for mine when I was in that age group, but that was discounted when I was a member of the NUS (just as important to be in a union as it is to have a railcard Wink).

Thanks for the advice guys Smile
Tom
20 Sep 2013, 6:00 pm #28

(20 Sep 2013, 5:59 pm)aureolin There's also the 16-25 railcard available. I think I paid about a tenner for mine when I was in that age group, but that was discounted when I was a member of the NUS (just as important to be in a union as it is to have a railcard Wink).

Thanks for the advice guys Smile

tyresmoke

28 Sep 2013, 10:45 pm #29
Well a quick note here as I've had a few trips to watch my team play in away games this week Smile Won 2-0 today away at Salford City FC to take us (Darlington) to 3rd in the Evostik 1N...
Team coach pic attached though as I couldn't not take one!
Attached Files
.jpg
image.jpg
Size 168.19 KB / Downloads 20

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
28 Sep 2013, 10:45 pm #29

Well a quick note here as I've had a few trips to watch my team play in away games this week Smile Won 2-0 today away at Salford City FC to take us (Darlington) to 3rd in the Evostik 1N...

Attached Files
.jpg
image.jpg
Size 168.19 KB / Downloads 20

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

29 Sep 2013, 10:05 am #30
(28 Sep 2013, 10:45 pm)tyresmoke Well a quick note here as I've had a few trips to watch my team play in away games this week Smile Won 2-0 today away at Salford City FC to take us (Darlington) to 3rd in the Evostik 1N...

Woooooooo, another Darlo Fan, I am not alone here in supporting Darlo Big Grin
MrFozz
29 Sep 2013, 10:05 am #30

(28 Sep 2013, 10:45 pm)tyresmoke Well a quick note here as I've had a few trips to watch my team play in away games this week Smile Won 2-0 today away at Salford City FC to take us (Darlington) to 3rd in the Evostik 1N...

Woooooooo, another Darlo Fan, I am not alone here in supporting Darlo Big Grin

Dan

Site Administrator

30 Oct 2013, 6:16 am #31
Paris is lovely. Anyone looking for a holiday and contemplating where to go... I would highly recommend Paris.
Went as a kid but I couldn't remember a great deal of it...but I do remember the boat trip that I went on last night.

The views from the Eiffel Tower are just stunning... And who decided to leave his camera at home so has had to rely on a shoddy S4 camera...?

Just er.. don't go for the buses. Irisbus galore.
Dan
30 Oct 2013, 6:16 am #31

Paris is lovely. Anyone looking for a holiday and contemplating where to go... I would highly recommend Paris.
Went as a kid but I couldn't remember a great deal of it...but I do remember the boat trip that I went on last night.

The views from the Eiffel Tower are just stunning... And who decided to leave his camera at home so has had to rely on a shoddy S4 camera...?

Just er.. don't go for the buses. Irisbus galore.

30 Oct 2013, 9:09 am #32
I'm off to Belgium next March. Hopefully staying in Antwerpen. Also hoping to do a day tour around the Netherlands by train.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
30 Oct 2013, 9:09 am #32

I'm off to Belgium next March. Hopefully staying in Antwerpen. Also hoping to do a day tour around the Netherlands by train.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/

Tom

19 Jan 2014, 2:38 pm #33
Certainly recommend the stadium tours around St James' Park, they're fantastic!
Tom
19 Jan 2014, 2:38 pm #33

Certainly recommend the stadium tours around St James' Park, they're fantastic!

Adrian

19 Jan 2014, 3:02 pm #34
(19 Jan 2014, 2:38 pm)Tom Certainly recommend the stadium tours around St James' Park, they're fantastic!

Yeah they are. I'm going to do another one on a really clear day, and see if I can get a shot across Sunderland of the SoS, from Level 7.

Adrian
19 Jan 2014, 3:02 pm #34

(19 Jan 2014, 2:38 pm)Tom Certainly recommend the stadium tours around St James' Park, they're fantastic!

Yeah they are. I'm going to do another one on a really clear day, and see if I can get a shot across Sunderland of the SoS, from Level 7.

Tom

19 Jan 2014, 3:14 pm #35
(19 Jan 2014, 3:02 pm)aureolin Yeah they are. I'm going to do another one on a really clear day, and see if I can get a shot across Sunderland of the SoS, from Level 7.

I'm sure they said you could see the North Sea from there, but it wouldn't be very nice to see 5under1and.
Tom
19 Jan 2014, 3:14 pm #35

(19 Jan 2014, 3:02 pm)aureolin Yeah they are. I'm going to do another one on a really clear day, and see if I can get a shot across Sunderland of the SoS, from Level 7.

I'm sure they said you could see the North Sea from there, but it wouldn't be very nice to see 5under1and.

20 Jan 2014, 1:13 am #36
Well my Belgian Holiday has taken another step forward with the booking of 75% of my coach travel which has came to a total of £10.50 so far.

Got 10 nights at an Antwerp hotel costing €360.

My week long rail pass for Belgium costs €70

And my day rail pass for Netherlands looks set to cost around €60.

Rapidsnap
20 Jan 2014, 1:13 am #36

Well my Belgian Holiday has taken another step forward with the booking of 75% of my coach travel which has came to a total of £10.50 so far.

Got 10 nights at an Antwerp hotel costing €360.

My week long rail pass for Belgium costs €70

And my day rail pass for Netherlands looks set to cost around €60.

Tom

09 Feb 2014, 11:44 am #37
I really want to see more of the Lake District, so sometime in the summer (whether that be next year or the year after or even this year!) I want to make a trip up there for a couple of days, it would probably be something like this:

Train - Newcastle-Carlsile
104 - Carlisle-Penrith
508 - Penrith - Aira Force
508 - Aira Force - Windermere
6 - Windermere - Haverwaite
X6 - Haverwaite - Kendal

Premier Inn Kendal Central for the night

599 - Kendal - Grasmere
555 - Grasmere - Keswick
77A - Keswick-Buttermere
77A - Buttermere-Seatoller
78 - Seatoller - Keswick
X4/X5 - Keswick - Cockermouth
600 - Cockermouth - Carlisle
685 - Carlisle - Newcastle

Obviously it might be changed a bit, but defiantly something I'd like to do.
Tom
09 Feb 2014, 11:44 am #37

I really want to see more of the Lake District, so sometime in the summer (whether that be next year or the year after or even this year!) I want to make a trip up there for a couple of days, it would probably be something like this:

104 - Carlisle-Penrith
X6 - Haverwaite - Kendal

599 - Kendal - Grasmere
555 - Grasmere - Keswick
77A - Keswick-Buttermere
78 - Seatoller - Keswick

Adrian

09 Feb 2014, 11:49 am #38
(09 Feb 2014, 11:44 am)Tom I really want to see more of the Lake District, so sometime in the summer (whether that be next year or the year after or even this year!) I want to make a trip up there for a couple of days, it would probably be something like this:

104 - Carlisle-Penrith
X6 - Haverwaite - Kendal

599 - Kendal - Grasmere
555 - Grasmere - Keswick
77A - Keswick-Buttermere
78 - Seatoller - Keswick

Sounds like a good trip. Just needs the weather to be on your side, as I find when it rains in the lake district.... it really rains! Wink

Adrian
09 Feb 2014, 11:49 am #38

(09 Feb 2014, 11:44 am)Tom I really want to see more of the Lake District, so sometime in the summer (whether that be next year or the year after or even this year!) I want to make a trip up there for a couple of days, it would probably be something like this:

104 - Carlisle-Penrith
X6 - Haverwaite - Kendal

599 - Kendal - Grasmere
555 - Grasmere - Keswick
77A - Keswick-Buttermere
78 - Seatoller - Keswick

Sounds like a good trip. Just needs the weather to be on your side, as I find when it rains in the lake district.... it really rains! Wink

Tom

09 Feb 2014, 11:51 am #39
(09 Feb 2014, 11:49 am)aureolin Sounds like a good trip. Just needs the weather to be on your side, as I find when it rains in the lake district.... it really rains! Wink

Oh yeah - The weather in the Lake District is changeable too.

It was this Aira Force walk me and a relative who also enjoys outdoor activities we were planning on doing, then a possible trip on the Ullswater Steamers. http://www.walkingenglishman.com/lakes21.htm
Tom
09 Feb 2014, 11:51 am #39

(09 Feb 2014, 11:49 am)aureolin Sounds like a good trip. Just needs the weather to be on your side, as I find when it rains in the lake district.... it really rains! Wink

Oh yeah - The weather in the Lake District is changeable too.

It was this Aira Force walk me and a relative who also enjoys outdoor activities we were planning on doing, then a possible trip on the Ullswater Steamers. http://www.walkingenglishman.com/lakes21.htm

tyresmoke

09 Feb 2014, 11:55 am #40
(09 Feb 2014, 11:51 am)Tom Oh yeah - The weather in the Lake District is changeable too.

It can be beautiful when its nice too... The open top Tridents on the 599 are definitely worth a ride or 3. Definitely buy a day ticket though as the single fares over there are out of this world!
The 505 upto Coniston or even Hawkshead is a thrilling ride, albeit not quite the same once the B10Ms get replaced by Darts!

tyresmoke
09 Feb 2014, 11:55 am #40

(09 Feb 2014, 11:51 am)Tom Oh yeah - The weather in the Lake District is changeable too.

It can be beautiful when its nice too... The open top Tridents on the 599 are definitely worth a ride or 3. Definitely buy a day ticket though as the single fares over there are out of this world!
The 505 upto Coniston or even Hawkshead is a thrilling ride, albeit not quite the same once the B10Ms get replaced by Darts!

Pages (7) Previous 1 2 37 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average