Menu

North East Buses The Canteen General off-topic chat Paolo Di Canio and Sunderland

Paolo Di Canio and Sunderland

Paolo Di Canio and Sunderland

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

22 Sep 2013, 2:57 pm #1
What is going on at Sunderland

They couldn't score in a brothel if they had £50 notes wrapped round there knobs...

Is it just me or does Di Canio seem to be losing the plot the way he goes about business, doing things like slating players in the press, his strict discipline, dont get me wrong, being disciplined is good, but it does not need to be so public, is there a chance he could be losing the dressing room with the fans not far behind, one positive i will say about him, yesterday he could have just put his head down, give a quick wave and thumbs up for the fans and he done with it, so I thought it was different for him to face the crowd down, whether he should have done that is another question as Match of the Day it was a very tense and seemingly quite hostile atmosphere with emotions running very high...

I actually like Paolo Di Canio, I always have, and while I am not really a Sunderland fan, I want nothing more than to see him succeed at Sunderland, but he is quite hotheaded, he has a passion for the game, and he is ultimately a fan himself and I think he can identify with fans, and from what I have heard about him over the last few years is that when his team gets beat it hits him hard and he is not afraid to stand up and take blame where it is due to him.

Must say, he was a fantastic player, everyone seems to bring up him shoving Paul Alcock at Hillsborough, but people forget his sportsmanship, in a game between West Ham v Everton, Paul Gerrard, the Everton went down after injuring his leg, play went on around the keeper, the ball was lobbed towards Di Canio, just think, play had not been stopped, Di Canio could have controlled it and walked it into the net, he didn't, ball gets lobbed up to him, Di Canio, seeing that Paul Gerrard was injured and was not getting anytime soon, caught the ball to ensure play was stopped, I think PDC even got in the Refs notebook for Handball for his trouble, he later won a Fair Play Award for that incident, what he did was probably one of the most selfless acts I have seen from a footballer, especially in the game today, I wonder if people like Alex Ferguson would have tolerated a show of sportsmanship in todays money driven game.

One of my favourite Di Canio antics was his argument with Frank Lampard with Di Canio winning the argumemt and went on to score...

Back to the original point, what is going wrong
MrFozz
22 Sep 2013, 2:57 pm #1

What is going on at Sunderland

They couldn't score in a brothel if they had £50 notes wrapped round there knobs...

Is it just me or does Di Canio seem to be losing the plot the way he goes about business, doing things like slating players in the press, his strict discipline, dont get me wrong, being disciplined is good, but it does not need to be so public, is there a chance he could be losing the dressing room with the fans not far behind, one positive i will say about him, yesterday he could have just put his head down, give a quick wave and thumbs up for the fans and he done with it, so I thought it was different for him to face the crowd down, whether he should have done that is another question as Match of the Day it was a very tense and seemingly quite hostile atmosphere with emotions running very high...

I actually like Paolo Di Canio, I always have, and while I am not really a Sunderland fan, I want nothing more than to see him succeed at Sunderland, but he is quite hotheaded, he has a passion for the game, and he is ultimately a fan himself and I think he can identify with fans, and from what I have heard about him over the last few years is that when his team gets beat it hits him hard and he is not afraid to stand up and take blame where it is due to him.

Must say, he was a fantastic player, everyone seems to bring up him shoving Paul Alcock at Hillsborough, but people forget his sportsmanship, in a game between West Ham v Everton, Paul Gerrard, the Everton went down after injuring his leg, play went on around the keeper, the ball was lobbed towards Di Canio, just think, play had not been stopped, Di Canio could have controlled it and walked it into the net, he didn't, ball gets lobbed up to him, Di Canio, seeing that Paul Gerrard was injured and was not getting anytime soon, caught the ball to ensure play was stopped, I think PDC even got in the Refs notebook for Handball for his trouble, he later won a Fair Play Award for that incident, what he did was probably one of the most selfless acts I have seen from a footballer, especially in the game today, I wonder if people like Alex Ferguson would have tolerated a show of sportsmanship in todays money driven game.

One of my favourite Di Canio antics was his argument with Frank Lampard with Di Canio winning the argumemt and went on to score...

Back to the original point, what is going wrong

Andreos1

22 Sep 2013, 8:38 pm #2
It seems he has lost the boardroom too - just been sacked!

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
22 Sep 2013, 8:38 pm #2

It seems he has lost the boardroom too - just been sacked!

Adrian

22 Sep 2013, 8:43 pm #3
He's a fascist.

Edit: But not even he deserved the sack after 6 months! Article here: http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/...o-di-canio

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
22 Sep 2013, 8:43 pm #3

He's a fascist.

Edit: But not even he deserved the sack after 6 months! Article here: http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/...o-di-canio

Andreos1

22 Sep 2013, 9:10 pm #4
(22 Sep 2013, 8:43 pm)aureolin He's a fascist.

It seems a strange decision to make so early in the season, after letting him invest massively over the summer.

However, how long does the chairman leave it before taking action?

Worst managerial record in the top flight for a manager to have overseen 10 or more games, just pipping Howard Wilkinson.
If Joe Kinnear fancies swapping Tyneside for Wearside, I would happily drive him there myself!

Andreos1
22 Sep 2013, 9:10 pm #4

(22 Sep 2013, 8:43 pm)aureolin He's a fascist.

It seems a strange decision to make so early in the season, after letting him invest massively over the summer.

Worst managerial record in the top flight for a manager to have overseen 10 or more games, just pipping Howard Wilkinson.
If Joe Kinnear fancies swapping Tyneside for Wearside, I would happily drive him there myself!

Michael

22 Sep 2013, 9:35 pm #5
Stupid hes being sacked.. some Sunderland fans not happy... 5 games in....who can we get?...

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
22 Sep 2013, 9:35 pm #5

Stupid hes being sacked.. some Sunderland fans not happy... 5 games in....who can we get?...

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Adrian

22 Sep 2013, 9:49 pm #6
Sunderland and Newcastle both have the same problem - they're on fantasy island.

Both go on like they're massive clubs, when in reality, they're mid-table clubs at very best. Instead of accumulating a collection of players with mass turnover, they need to build something from the foundations. That ain't gonna happen overnight, and they'd be lucky for it to happen in five years. Fans expectations are far too high.

Adrian
22 Sep 2013, 9:49 pm #6

Sunderland and Newcastle both have the same problem - they're on fantasy island.

Both go on like they're massive clubs, when in reality, they're mid-table clubs at very best. Instead of accumulating a collection of players with mass turnover, they need to build something from the foundations. That ain't gonna happen overnight, and they'd be lucky for it to happen in five years. Fans expectations are far too high.

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

23 Sep 2013, 7:25 am #7
(22 Sep 2013, 9:10 pm)Andreos1 It seems a strange decision to make so early in the season, after letting him invest massively over the summer.

Is that statistic just permanant managers or is caretakers included, when Kevin Ball took the reins from Mick McCarthy he had 10 games in charge...

The win rates are

Kevin Ball 10%
Howard Wilkinson 14.8%
Paolo Di Canio 23%

If you combine there records it is played 48, won 8 with 17% success...

I think it is sad to sack a manager 5 games into a season, but sometimes a chairman must be thinking, cut our losses now and we may have some fight left in us, or leave it till, say, Christmas and lets face it, Sunderland would be down long before then.

Who else has gone, is the backroom staff(apart from Kevin Ball) still in, who will take the job, I would love to see someone like Roberto Mancini who is still on the dole, Marco Van Basten from Heerenveen, Frank Rijkaard or Jurgen Klinssman from America...Names like that may be fantasy right now, but there are no top class English Managers about right now which is sad in itself.

I just hop Ellis Short has pre-empted what looked like a guaranteed relegation, I hope this turns out to be the right decision

Marxista Fozz
Edited 23 Sep 2013, 7:48 am by MrFozz.
MrFozz
23 Sep 2013, 7:25 am #7

(22 Sep 2013, 9:10 pm)Andreos1 It seems a strange decision to make so early in the season, after letting him invest massively over the summer.

Is that statistic just permanant managers or is caretakers included, when Kevin Ball took the reins from Mick McCarthy he had 10 games in charge...

The win rates are

Kevin Ball 10%
Howard Wilkinson 14.8%
Paolo Di Canio 23%

I think it is sad to sack a manager 5 games into a season, but sometimes a chairman must be thinking, cut our losses now and we may have some fight left in us, or leave it till, say, Christmas and lets face it, Sunderland would be down long before then.

Who else has gone, is the backroom staff(apart from Kevin Ball) still in, who will take the job, I would love to see someone like Roberto Mancini who is still on the dole, Marco Van Basten from Heerenveen, Frank Rijkaard or Jurgen Klinssman from America...Names like that may be fantasy right now, but there are no top class English Managers about right now which is sad in itself.

I just hop Ellis Short has pre-empted what looked like a guaranteed relegation, I hope this turns out to be the right decision

Marxista Fozz

Andreos1

23 Sep 2013, 9:09 am #8
(23 Sep 2013, 7:25 am)fozzovmurton Is that statistic just permanant managers or is caretakers included, when Kevin Ball took the reins from Mick McCarthy he had 10 games in charge...

The win rates are

Kevin Ball 10%
Howard Wilkinson 14.8%
Paolo Di Canio 23%

Marxista Fozz

Guessing it must be permanent or the BBC got their stats wrong last night.
Looking at those figures, I don't fancy Sunderland getting very far in the League Cup this week!

Andreos1
23 Sep 2013, 9:09 am #8

(23 Sep 2013, 7:25 am)fozzovmurton Is that statistic just permanant managers or is caretakers included, when Kevin Ball took the reins from Mick McCarthy he had 10 games in charge...

The win rates are

Kevin Ball 10%
Howard Wilkinson 14.8%
Paolo Di Canio 23%

Marxista Fozz

Guessing it must be permanent or the BBC got their stats wrong last night.
Looking at those figures, I don't fancy Sunderland getting very far in the League Cup this week!

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

23 Sep 2013, 11:56 am #9
Anyone fancy Steve McClaren

Marxista Fozz
MrFozz
23 Sep 2013, 11:56 am #9

Anyone fancy Steve McClaren

Marxista Fozz

Andreos1

23 Sep 2013, 12:11 pm #10
(23 Sep 2013, 11:56 am)fozzovmurton Anyone fancy Steve McClaren

Marxista Fozz

Steve McClarens wife must do....

Andreos1
23 Sep 2013, 12:11 pm #10

(23 Sep 2013, 11:56 am)fozzovmurton Anyone fancy Steve McClaren

Marxista Fozz

Steve McClarens wife must do....

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

23 Sep 2013, 4:56 pm #11
(23 Sep 2013, 12:11 pm)Andreos1 Steve McClarens wife must do....

Big Grin walked right into that one...
MrFozz
23 Sep 2013, 4:56 pm #11

(23 Sep 2013, 12:11 pm)Andreos1 Steve McClarens wife must do....

Big Grin walked right into that one...

Andreos1

24 Sep 2013, 1:32 am #12
(23 Sep 2013, 4:56 pm)fozzovmurton Big Grin walked right into that one...

You line 'em up...

Andreos1
24 Sep 2013, 1:32 am #12

(23 Sep 2013, 4:56 pm)fozzovmurton Big Grin walked right into that one...

You line 'em up...

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average