North East Buses The Site Problems & Suggestions The Bus Scene: Elsewhere

The Bus Scene: Elsewhere

The Bus Scene: Elsewhere

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (2) 1 2 Next
Dan

Site Administrator

16 Apr 2014, 7:09 pm #1
A suggestion to put forward to all of you...

This section of the forum is getting rather cluttered. We've got 93 threads in this section of the forum and most threads aren't used anymore. If people were interested in posting about a particular operator, they may not realise that a thread already exists without having to trek through all 93 threads or using our 'search' facility.

I'd therefore like to suggest that we change the way this section of the forum works... Similar to this thread, I'd like to suggest that we create individual regional threads where content about all operators in that region can be posted.

Where there is more information about a particular city in a region (i.e. London), an individual thread could be set up.

This should be fairly easy to implement, but I'd have to close the section for a few hours to do it. What are your opinions?
Dan
16 Apr 2014, 7:09 pm #1

A suggestion to put forward to all of you...

This section of the forum is getting rather cluttered. We've got 93 threads in this section of the forum and most threads aren't used anymore. If people were interested in posting about a particular operator, they may not realise that a thread already exists without having to trek through all 93 threads or using our 'search' facility.

I'd therefore like to suggest that we change the way this section of the forum works... Similar to this thread, I'd like to suggest that we create individual regional threads where content about all operators in that region can be posted.

Where there is more information about a particular city in a region (i.e. London), an individual thread could be set up.

This should be fairly easy to implement, but I'd have to close the section for a few hours to do it. What are your opinions?

Tom

16 Apr 2014, 7:18 pm #2
(16 Apr 2014, 7:09 pm)Dan A suggestion to put forward to all of you...

Sounds like a fantastic idea to me, as I do think the section is getting quite cluttered. Another idea is to delete the poorly used ''Cumbrian and North Lancashire Independents'' thread I created, and have a separate thread for each operator. I'd suggest a forum for Scotland, Cumbria and Lancashire, North West, London, Midlands, and The South.
Tom
16 Apr 2014, 7:18 pm #2

(16 Apr 2014, 7:09 pm)Dan A suggestion to put forward to all of you...

Sounds like a fantastic idea to me, as I do think the section is getting quite cluttered. Another idea is to delete the poorly used ''Cumbrian and North Lancashire Independents'' thread I created, and have a separate thread for each operator. I'd suggest a forum for Scotland, Cumbria and Lancashire, North West, London, Midlands, and The South.

Dan

Site Administrator

16 Apr 2014, 7:24 pm #3
(16 Apr 2014, 7:18 pm)Tom Sounds like a fantastic idea to me, as I do think the section is getting quite cluttered. Another idea is to delete the poorly used ''Cumbrian and North Lancashire Independents'' thread I created, and have a separate thread for each operator. I'd suggest a forum for Scotland, Cumbria and Lancashire, North West, London, Midlands, and The South.

Thanks for the thread suggestions - that was going to be my next question if people thought it was a good idea..!

You have all got that green bar at the top of the forum for a few hours until we get a bit of feedback...! You're welcome! Angel
Dan
16 Apr 2014, 7:24 pm #3

(16 Apr 2014, 7:18 pm)Tom Sounds like a fantastic idea to me, as I do think the section is getting quite cluttered. Another idea is to delete the poorly used ''Cumbrian and North Lancashire Independents'' thread I created, and have a separate thread for each operator. I'd suggest a forum for Scotland, Cumbria and Lancashire, North West, London, Midlands, and The South.

Thanks for the thread suggestions - that was going to be my next question if people thought it was a good idea..!

You have all got that green bar at the top of the forum for a few hours until we get a bit of feedback...! You're welcome! Angel

Kuyoyo

16 Apr 2014, 7:27 pm #4

What about Yorkshire, Lincolnshire and Wales?
Kuyoyo
16 Apr 2014, 7:27 pm #4

What about Yorkshire, Lincolnshire and Wales?

Tom

16 Apr 2014, 7:28 pm #5
(16 Apr 2014, 7:27 pm)Kuyoyo What about Yorkshire, Lincolnshire and Wales?

Yeah, add those too, there is probably a lot more regions too Smile
Tom
16 Apr 2014, 7:28 pm #5

(16 Apr 2014, 7:27 pm)Kuyoyo What about Yorkshire, Lincolnshire and Wales?

Yeah, add those too, there is probably a lot more regions too Smile

Dan

Site Administrator

16 Apr 2014, 7:31 pm #6
(16 Apr 2014, 7:28 pm)Tom Yeah, add those too, there is probably a lot more regions too Smile

Is this a good time to admit I'm absolutely horrific at Geography? I still don't understand the point of Wales... Tongue

If the majority of people think it's a good idea, someone will have to give me a list of the threads that will have to be created...Hahah.
Dan
16 Apr 2014, 7:31 pm #6

(16 Apr 2014, 7:28 pm)Tom Yeah, add those too, there is probably a lot more regions too Smile

Is this a good time to admit I'm absolutely horrific at Geography? I still don't understand the point of Wales... Tongue

If the majority of people think it's a good idea, someone will have to give me a list of the threads that will have to be created...Hahah.

Andreos1

16 Apr 2014, 7:45 pm #7
Was thinking just the same the other day, but was unsure as to how to resolve it.

The BBC regions page on their website or teletext may help or provide some inspiration if you are looking to split things into regions.
Maybe merge one or two regions together - eg East Midlands, Lincs and Humber or Merseyside, Greater Manchester and North Wales.

Another suggestion is to have a thread for the region split into sub-sections.

East Midlands, Lincs and Humber.
-> Stagecoach
-> Trent Barton
-> NCT
-> independents.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
16 Apr 2014, 7:45 pm #7

Was thinking just the same the other day, but was unsure as to how to resolve it.

The BBC regions page on their website or teletext may help or provide some inspiration if you are looking to split things into regions.
Maybe merge one or two regions together - eg East Midlands, Lincs and Humber or Merseyside, Greater Manchester and North Wales.

-> Stagecoach
-> Trent Barton
-> NCT
-> independents.

Tom

16 Apr 2014, 7:48 pm #8
(16 Apr 2014, 7:31 pm)Dan Is this a good time to admit I'm absolutely horrific at Geography? I still don't understand the point of Wales... Tongue

I'll give you one later. I'll have to do a bit of research first though.
Tom
16 Apr 2014, 7:48 pm #8

(16 Apr 2014, 7:31 pm)Dan Is this a good time to admit I'm absolutely horrific at Geography? I still don't understand the point of Wales... Tongue

I'll give you one later. I'll have to do a bit of research first though.

Dan

Site Administrator

16 Apr 2014, 7:50 pm #9
(16 Apr 2014, 7:45 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Was thinking just the same the other day, but was unsure as to how to resolve it.

-> Stagecoach
-> Trent Barton
-> NCT
-> independents.

Just had the idea of choosing the same categories as Traveline? Only problem which would arise from that is the fact they have "North East & Cumbria". Of course we could alter them slightly to be something more like below:

- Scotland (S)
- Northern Ireland (NI)
- Cumbria & North Lancashire
- North West (NW)
- Yorkshire (Y)
- Cymru/Wales (W)
- West Midlands (WM)
- East Midlands (EM)
- East Anglia (EA)
- South West (SW)
- South East excluding London (SE)
- London (L)
Dan
16 Apr 2014, 7:50 pm #9

(16 Apr 2014, 7:45 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Was thinking just the same the other day, but was unsure as to how to resolve it.

-> Stagecoach
-> Trent Barton
-> NCT
-> independents.

Just had the idea of choosing the same categories as Traveline? Only problem which would arise from that is the fact they have "North East & Cumbria". Of course we could alter them slightly to be something more like below:

- Scotland (S)
- Northern Ireland (NI)
- North West (NW)
- Yorkshire (Y)
- Cymru/Wales (W)
- West Midlands (WM)
- East Midlands (EM)
- East Anglia (EA)
- South West (SW)
- London (L)

Tom

16 Apr 2014, 8:04 pm #10
(16 Apr 2014, 7:50 pm)Dan Just had the idea of choosing the same categories as Traveline? Only problem which would arise from that is the fact they have "North East & Cumbria". Of course we could alter them slightly to be something more like below:

- Scotland (S)
- Northern Ireland (NI)
- North West (NW)
- Yorkshire (Y)
- Cymru/Wales (W)
- West Midlands (WM)
- East Midlands (EM)
- East Anglia (EA)
- South West (SW)
- London (L)

Sounds good to me. These are the threads that should be added to the ''Cumbria and North Lancashire'' thread, and you can just delete the independent threads as they had very light discussion anyway. Here is a selection of companies in Cumbria you could add.
  • Reays Coaches
  • Alba Travel
  • Lecks Travel
  • 3D Travel
  • Mountian Goat
  • Robinsons Coaches
  • Travellers Choice
  • Grand Prix Services
  • Woofs of Sedbergh
  • Kirkby Lonsdale Coach Hire
Tom
16 Apr 2014, 8:04 pm #10

(16 Apr 2014, 7:50 pm)Dan Just had the idea of choosing the same categories as Traveline? Only problem which would arise from that is the fact they have "North East & Cumbria". Of course we could alter them slightly to be something more like below:

- Scotland (S)
- Northern Ireland (NI)
- North West (NW)
- Yorkshire (Y)
- Cymru/Wales (W)
- West Midlands (WM)
- East Midlands (EM)
- East Anglia (EA)
- South West (SW)
- London (L)

Sounds good to me. These are the threads that should be added to the ''Cumbria and North Lancashire'' thread, and you can just delete the independent threads as they had very light discussion anyway. Here is a selection of companies in Cumbria you could add.
  • Reays Coaches
  • Alba Travel
  • Lecks Travel
  • 3D Travel
  • Mountian Goat
  • Robinsons Coaches
  • Travellers Choice
  • Grand Prix Services
  • Woofs of Sedbergh

Dan

Site Administrator

16 Apr 2014, 8:15 pm #11
(16 Apr 2014, 8:04 pm)Tom Sounds good to me. These are the threads that should be added to the ''Cumbria and North Lancashire'' thread, and you can just delete the independent threads as they had very light discussion anyway. Here is a selection of companies in Cumbria you could add.
  • Reays Coaches
  • Alba Travel
  • Lecks Travel
  • 3D Travel
  • Mountian Goat
  • Robinsons Coaches
  • Travellers Choice
  • Grand Prix Services
  • Woofs of Sedbergh

I may be wrong, but I think you've misunderstood slightly what I meant with this idea...

The idea behind it would be that anyone could post about anything in that region, rather than being limited to a set of particular operators. So instead of having 'Cumbria & North Lancashire' as the sub-forum with all of the independent companies in it (as well as Stagecoach), we'd just have the one thread for all bus-related discussion in that region. I can't imagine this would cause massive issues as the 'Elsewhere' section of the forum isn't particularly busy anyway.

Although I love how 'clean' a forum is when it's full of sub-forums, Liam could rant for England about how it's completely non user-friendly. I think just separating by region would allow this section of the forum to be a little more user-friendly though, without using sub-forums.
Dan
16 Apr 2014, 8:15 pm #11

(16 Apr 2014, 8:04 pm)Tom Sounds good to me. These are the threads that should be added to the ''Cumbria and North Lancashire'' thread, and you can just delete the independent threads as they had very light discussion anyway. Here is a selection of companies in Cumbria you could add.
  • Reays Coaches
  • Alba Travel
  • Lecks Travel
  • 3D Travel
  • Mountian Goat
  • Robinsons Coaches
  • Travellers Choice
  • Grand Prix Services
  • Woofs of Sedbergh

I may be wrong, but I think you've misunderstood slightly what I meant with this idea...

The idea behind it would be that anyone could post about anything in that region, rather than being limited to a set of particular operators. So instead of having 'Cumbria & North Lancashire' as the sub-forum with all of the independent companies in it (as well as Stagecoach), we'd just have the one thread for all bus-related discussion in that region. I can't imagine this would cause massive issues as the 'Elsewhere' section of the forum isn't particularly busy anyway.

Although I love how 'clean' a forum is when it's full of sub-forums, Liam could rant for England about how it's completely non user-friendly. I think just separating by region would allow this section of the forum to be a little more user-friendly though, without using sub-forums.

Andreos1

16 Apr 2014, 8:19 pm #12
(16 Apr 2014, 8:15 pm)Dan I may be wrong, but I think you've misunderstood slightly what I meant with this idea...

I think there should be some sub-forums, if only to break things up and help the discussion (like in the example I gave earlier).
If you don't, there will be all sorts of random info floating about, which for someone catching up - is going to be hard to read or keep on top of.

Andreos1
16 Apr 2014, 8:19 pm #12

(16 Apr 2014, 8:15 pm)Dan I may be wrong, but I think you've misunderstood slightly what I meant with this idea...

I think there should be some sub-forums, if only to break things up and help the discussion (like in the example I gave earlier).
If you don't, there will be all sorts of random info floating about, which for someone catching up - is going to be hard to read or keep on top of.

Tom

16 Apr 2014, 8:21 pm #13

Sorry, yes I did misunderstand it. A bit like the Yorkshire Thread?
Tom
16 Apr 2014, 8:21 pm #13

Sorry, yes I did misunderstand it. A bit like the Yorkshire Thread?

Adrian

16 Apr 2014, 8:22 pm #14
I think dedicated regional threads as suggested would work, and then if a thread gets as busy as the 'North East' forums for example, they could then justify having their own sub-forum and thread set?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
16 Apr 2014, 8:22 pm #14

I think dedicated regional threads as suggested would work, and then if a thread gets as busy as the 'North East' forums for example, they could then justify having their own sub-forum and thread set?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Dan

Site Administrator

16 Apr 2014, 8:31 pm #15
(16 Apr 2014, 8:19 pm)Andreos Constantopolous I think there should be some sub-forums, if only to break things up and help the discussion (like in the example I gave earlier).

I really don't think there's a great deal of posts in the threads at present, so couldn't imagine it to be a problem.

(16 Apr 2014, 8:21 pm)Tom Sorry, yes I did misunderstand it. A bit like the Yorkshire Thread?

Yup! The Yorkshire Thread is a good example; although it's seemingly acting as a source of information rather than a place of discussion, I still think it's working well and serving its purpose.

(16 Apr 2014, 8:22 pm)aureolin I think dedicated regional threads as suggested would work, and then if a thread gets as busy as the 'North East' forums for example, they could then justify having their own sub-forum and thread set?

As long as you can persuade Liam when the time's right... Wink
Dan
16 Apr 2014, 8:31 pm #15

(16 Apr 2014, 8:19 pm)Andreos Constantopolous I think there should be some sub-forums, if only to break things up and help the discussion (like in the example I gave earlier).

I really don't think there's a great deal of posts in the threads at present, so couldn't imagine it to be a problem.

(16 Apr 2014, 8:21 pm)Tom Sorry, yes I did misunderstand it. A bit like the Yorkshire Thread?

Yup! The Yorkshire Thread is a good example; although it's seemingly acting as a source of information rather than a place of discussion, I still think it's working well and serving its purpose.

(16 Apr 2014, 8:22 pm)aureolin I think dedicated regional threads as suggested would work, and then if a thread gets as busy as the 'North East' forums for example, they could then justify having their own sub-forum and thread set?

As long as you can persuade Liam when the time's right... Wink

Y961 XBU

16 Apr 2014, 8:32 pm #16

- Scotland (S)
- Northern Ireland (NI)
- North West (NW)
- Yorkshire (Y)
- Cymru/Wales (W)
- West Midlands (WM)
- East Midlands (EM)
- East Anglia (EA)
- South West (SW)
- London (L)

I really think Cumbria and North Lancashire should be part of the North West feed, after all they are part of the North West.
Y961 XBU
16 Apr 2014, 8:32 pm #16

- Scotland (S)
- Northern Ireland (NI)
- North West (NW)
- Yorkshire (Y)
- Cymru/Wales (W)
- West Midlands (WM)
- East Midlands (EM)
- East Anglia (EA)
- South West (SW)
- London (L)

I really think Cumbria and North Lancashire should be part of the North West feed, after all they are part of the North West.

Dan

Site Administrator

16 Apr 2014, 8:42 pm #17
(16 Apr 2014, 8:32 pm)Y961 XBU I really think Cumbria and North Lancashire should be part of the North West feed, after all they are part of the North West.

There was a few reasons for keeping them separate:

1) Traveline lists Cumbria in the North East region rather than the North West region. If I could have guaranteed more discussion (on a similar level to the posts in the normal North East section), I'd have placed it in the North East section. As there is still minimal posts in the threads we've got for operators in Cumbria & North Lancs, I'd prefer to keep it separate.

2) You guys in the North West provide us with so many posts, it would perhaps be best off to keep them separate - just so people don't get lost off if there is more than one topic of discussion at once (similar to the point Andreos raised above).

3) A number of enthusiasts from the North East are interested in Stagecoach in Cumbria's fleet - but I think that's where interest will stop for many of us. I don't think a lot of enthusiasts from the North East would want to scroll through all of the posts about North West independents just in case it might be about something that they are interested in.
Dan
16 Apr 2014, 8:42 pm #17

(16 Apr 2014, 8:32 pm)Y961 XBU I really think Cumbria and North Lancashire should be part of the North West feed, after all they are part of the North West.

There was a few reasons for keeping them separate:

1) Traveline lists Cumbria in the North East region rather than the North West region. If I could have guaranteed more discussion (on a similar level to the posts in the normal North East section), I'd have placed it in the North East section. As there is still minimal posts in the threads we've got for operators in Cumbria & North Lancs, I'd prefer to keep it separate.

2) You guys in the North West provide us with so many posts, it would perhaps be best off to keep them separate - just so people don't get lost off if there is more than one topic of discussion at once (similar to the point Andreos raised above).

3) A number of enthusiasts from the North East are interested in Stagecoach in Cumbria's fleet - but I think that's where interest will stop for many of us. I don't think a lot of enthusiasts from the North East would want to scroll through all of the posts about North West independents just in case it might be about something that they are interested in.

Tom

16 Apr 2014, 8:44 pm #18
(16 Apr 2014, 8:42 pm)Dan There was a few reasons for keeping them separate:

I'm one of those people. I defiantly think it should be kept separate.
Tom
16 Apr 2014, 8:44 pm #18

(16 Apr 2014, 8:42 pm)Dan There was a few reasons for keeping them separate:

I'm one of those people. I defiantly think it should be kept separate.

Dan

Site Administrator

16 Apr 2014, 8:50 pm #19
(16 Apr 2014, 8:44 pm)Tom I'm one of those people. I defiantly think it should be kept separate.

I was quite interested in reading some of the posts about the operators I'd seen when I was on my North West adventure last summer, but it's more of a brief read through. I tend to contribute a lot more to the Stagecoach Cumbria & North Lancs discussion as well as read into a little bit more.
Dan
16 Apr 2014, 8:50 pm #19

(16 Apr 2014, 8:44 pm)Tom I'm one of those people. I defiantly think it should be kept separate.

I was quite interested in reading some of the posts about the operators I'd seen when I was on my North West adventure last summer, but it's more of a brief read through. I tend to contribute a lot more to the Stagecoach Cumbria & North Lancs discussion as well as read into a little bit more.

tyresmoke

16 Apr 2014, 9:16 pm #20
Got to agree with splitting into threads for each region. There's no doubting we have a NW contingent on the forum which provide us with great info, it would be nice to replicate this across the country. I am working on a few little things that will hopefully boost things a bit, the Arriva order I suppose you could count as a near little idea, I have seen it copied onto other forums already too Tongue

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
16 Apr 2014, 9:16 pm #20

Got to agree with splitting into threads for each region. There's no doubting we have a NW contingent on the forum which provide us with great info, it would be nice to replicate this across the country. I am working on a few little things that will hopefully boost things a bit, the Arriva order I suppose you could count as a near little idea, I have seen it copied onto other forums already too Tongue

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Pages (2) 1 2 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average