Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Local Bus Events North East Bus & Coach Show 2014

North East Bus & Coach Show 2014

North East Bus & Coach Show 2014

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (6) 1 2 36 Next
Poll: Are you attending?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.

Yes
69.23%
Votes 9
No
23.08%
Votes 3
Maybe / Unsure
7.69%
Votes 1

Total 13 vote(s) 100%
Adrian

18 Apr 2014, 9:10 pm #1
NEBPT have posted further details of the North East Bus and Coach Show for 2014. It can be found at the following link: http://www.nebpt.co.uk/index.asp?pg=3&event=470

It's on Sunday 4th May at the Metro Centre coach park, for anyone looking to attend.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
18 Apr 2014, 9:10 pm #1

NEBPT have posted further details of the North East Bus and Coach Show for 2014. It can be found at the following link: http://www.nebpt.co.uk/index.asp?pg=3&event=470

It's on Sunday 4th May at the Metro Centre coach park, for anyone looking to attend.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Malarkey

18 Apr 2014, 9:36 pm #2
(18 Apr 2014, 9:10 pm)aureolin NEBPT have posted further details of the North East Bus and Coach Show for 2014. It can be found at the following link: http://www.nebpt.co.uk/index.asp?pg=3&event=470

Very Interesting, Lothian Leyland National MK2 Fleet No. 102 is going to be there, Hopefully there some other surprises to come also, I'm still waiting to see the Go-Ahead Gateshead MCW Metrobus at one of the Rallies also.

And i'm going say GNE will have a Coaster/WheyAye50 Omnicity and a Drifter Streetlite there with a bit of luck, will a great opportunity to catch the 3 Together.
Malarkey
18 Apr 2014, 9:36 pm #2

(18 Apr 2014, 9:10 pm)aureolin NEBPT have posted further details of the North East Bus and Coach Show for 2014. It can be found at the following link: http://www.nebpt.co.uk/index.asp?pg=3&event=470

Very Interesting, Lothian Leyland National MK2 Fleet No. 102 is going to be there, Hopefully there some other surprises to come also, I'm still waiting to see the Go-Ahead Gateshead MCW Metrobus at one of the Rallies also.

And i'm going say GNE will have a Coaster/WheyAye50 Omnicity and a Drifter Streetlite there with a bit of luck, will a great opportunity to catch the 3 Together.

Dan

Site Administrator

18 Apr 2014, 9:48 pm #3
(18 Apr 2014, 9:36 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Very Interesting, Lothian Leyland National MK2 Fleet No. 102 is going to be there, Hopefully there some other surprises to come also, I'm still waiting to see the Go-Ahead Gateshead MCW Metrobus at one of the Rallies also.

That's if GNE are in attendance!
Dan
18 Apr 2014, 9:48 pm #3

(18 Apr 2014, 9:36 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Very Interesting, Lothian Leyland National MK2 Fleet No. 102 is going to be there, Hopefully there some other surprises to come also, I'm still waiting to see the Go-Ahead Gateshead MCW Metrobus at one of the Rallies also.

That's if GNE are in attendance!

Malarkey

18 Apr 2014, 9:55 pm #4
(18 Apr 2014, 9:48 pm)Dan That's if GNE are in attendance!

That is true as they no showed Seaburn Last Year, but then again I am sure the MetroCentre Rally is Sponsored by GNE, Plus Riverside is only minute away, so really there is no excuse not to attend really.
Malarkey
18 Apr 2014, 9:55 pm #4

(18 Apr 2014, 9:48 pm)Dan That's if GNE are in attendance!

That is true as they no showed Seaburn Last Year, but then again I am sure the MetroCentre Rally is Sponsored by GNE, Plus Riverside is only minute away, so really there is no excuse not to attend really.

Dan

Site Administrator

18 Apr 2014, 9:59 pm #5
(18 Apr 2014, 9:55 pm)NEBCD Malarkey That is true as they no showed Seaburn Last Year, but then again I am sure the MetroCentre Rally is Sponsored by GNE, Plus Riverside is only minute away, so really there is no excuse not to attend really.

Last year a B10BLE (could have been 4949) made its way onto the TTX while a B9 was at the Metrocentre. Think that caused a little bit of an uproar.

Believe one or two things were said about drivers leaving the buses unattended aswell.
Dan
18 Apr 2014, 9:59 pm #5

(18 Apr 2014, 9:55 pm)NEBCD Malarkey That is true as they no showed Seaburn Last Year, but then again I am sure the MetroCentre Rally is Sponsored by GNE, Plus Riverside is only minute away, so really there is no excuse not to attend really.

Last year a B10BLE (could have been 4949) made its way onto the TTX while a B9 was at the Metrocentre. Think that caused a little bit of an uproar.

Believe one or two things were said about drivers leaving the buses unattended aswell.

Malarkey

18 Apr 2014, 10:09 pm #6
(18 Apr 2014, 9:59 pm)Dan Last year a B10BLE (could have been 4949) made its way onto the TTX while a B9 was at the Metrocentre. Think that caused a little bit of an uproar.

The few GNE ones I got with my Nephew last year there was a Driver on Board at all times, otherwise they were standing near to the Buses Doors, I had noticed one or two may of been Enthusiasts, hence why they may of been left Unattended, but even so there was still GNE Drivers standing near the Buses.

And about other Drivers who brought along Buses to the Event and left them Unattended, Particularly the Preserved ones, but even then the Doors were closed on the Vehicles. Seems like one rule for one, another rule for another which a great shame at such a big event.
Malarkey
18 Apr 2014, 10:09 pm #6

(18 Apr 2014, 9:59 pm)Dan Last year a B10BLE (could have been 4949) made its way onto the TTX while a B9 was at the Metrocentre. Think that caused a little bit of an uproar.

The few GNE ones I got with my Nephew last year there was a Driver on Board at all times, otherwise they were standing near to the Buses Doors, I had noticed one or two may of been Enthusiasts, hence why they may of been left Unattended, but even so there was still GNE Drivers standing near the Buses.

And about other Drivers who brought along Buses to the Event and left them Unattended, Particularly the Preserved ones, but even then the Doors were closed on the Vehicles. Seems like one rule for one, another rule for another which a great shame at such a big event.

Dan

Site Administrator

18 Apr 2014, 10:13 pm #7
(18 Apr 2014, 10:09 pm)NEBCD Malarkey The few GNE ones I got with my Nephew last year there was a Driver on Board at all times, otherwise they were standing near to the Buses Doors, I had noticed one or two may of been Enthusiasts, hence why they may of been left Unattended, but even so there was still GNE Drivers standing near the Buses.

I noticed on a number of occasions that GNE buses were left unattended, and indeed I passed comments on... Marcus' Angel friend didn't leave her bus though, and she was sensible when moving the bus too. Had good words to say about her! There was a guy from Percy Main there too if memory serves - played everything by the book and he accompanied everyone around that Cobalt Connect.

Drivers who were there as enthusiasts (I.e. not in uniform) drove buses too. That shouldn't have happened.

Obvious difference between preserved vehicles being left unattended and GNE's vehicles being left unattended is that the drivers who brought GNE's vehicles to the rally don't own them...

On that subject, I don't think anyone was supposed to board the two demonstration vehicles that were there, other than the designated drivers who brought them along and had received training on that vehicle type etc. I got cab shots of both, and it wasn't until I uploaded the photos that I was told I shouldn't have been on the bus.

If Go North East are in attendance this year (which is entirely possible, as there are one or two things of interest popping up soon), don't expect things to be as relaxed as last year - I can't imagine folk will be allowed in the cabs to fiddle with destination displays etc.
Dan
18 Apr 2014, 10:13 pm #7

(18 Apr 2014, 10:09 pm)NEBCD Malarkey The few GNE ones I got with my Nephew last year there was a Driver on Board at all times, otherwise they were standing near to the Buses Doors, I had noticed one or two may of been Enthusiasts, hence why they may of been left Unattended, but even so there was still GNE Drivers standing near the Buses.

I noticed on a number of occasions that GNE buses were left unattended, and indeed I passed comments on... Marcus' Angel friend didn't leave her bus though, and she was sensible when moving the bus too. Had good words to say about her! There was a guy from Percy Main there too if memory serves - played everything by the book and he accompanied everyone around that Cobalt Connect.

Drivers who were there as enthusiasts (I.e. not in uniform) drove buses too. That shouldn't have happened.

Obvious difference between preserved vehicles being left unattended and GNE's vehicles being left unattended is that the drivers who brought GNE's vehicles to the rally don't own them...

On that subject, I don't think anyone was supposed to board the two demonstration vehicles that were there, other than the designated drivers who brought them along and had received training on that vehicle type etc. I got cab shots of both, and it wasn't until I uploaded the photos that I was told I shouldn't have been on the bus.

If Go North East are in attendance this year (which is entirely possible, as there are one or two things of interest popping up soon), don't expect things to be as relaxed as last year - I can't imagine folk will be allowed in the cabs to fiddle with destination displays etc.

MurdnunoC

18 Apr 2014, 10:54 pm #8
I've attended this event most years and 2014 will be no exception.

I hope to finally meet some of you there although I usually tend to go in the morning so I can do stuff afterwards.

What time are people going?
MurdnunoC
18 Apr 2014, 10:54 pm #8

I've attended this event most years and 2014 will be no exception.

I hope to finally meet some of you there although I usually tend to go in the morning so I can do stuff afterwards.

What time are people going?

Andreos1

18 Apr 2014, 10:59 pm #9
Will be a spur of the moment thing if I go - but whether it is connected with this show or another, the Routemaster seen at Shields last year, was out and about on Monday.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
18 Apr 2014, 10:59 pm #9

Will be a spur of the moment thing if I go - but whether it is connected with this show or another, the Routemaster seen at Shields last year, was out and about on Monday.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

19 Apr 2014, 1:07 am #10
I don't recall no-one being refused access to the demo vehicles. Would loved to know who said this as both demo vehicles were used for runs which is a good way to show joe public the latest vehicles.

I also cannot see a problem with GNE drivers not in uniform driving the buses around the rally site. In fact it has happened many times in the past. I recall GNE drivers driving the Brighton and Hove Omnidekka whilst B&H drivers had a go at the new Volvo B7TL Geminis that were recently delivered for the 724.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
19 Apr 2014, 1:07 am #10

I don't recall no-one being refused access to the demo vehicles. Would loved to know who said this as both demo vehicles were used for runs which is a good way to show joe public the latest vehicles.

I also cannot see a problem with GNE drivers not in uniform driving the buses around the rally site. In fact it has happened many times in the past. I recall GNE drivers driving the Brighton and Hove Omnidekka whilst B&H drivers had a go at the new Volvo B7TL Geminis that were recently delivered for the 724.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

DanPicken

Banned

19 Apr 2014, 6:01 am #11
i come on the train from heworth
DanPicken
19 Apr 2014, 6:01 am #11

i come on the train from heworth

MurdnunoC

19 Apr 2014, 6:58 am #12
(19 Apr 2014, 1:07 am)GMitchelhill I also cannot see a problem with GNE drivers not in uniform driving the buses around the rally site.

Neither do I. At the end of the day it's meant to be a fun day out for all including staff. If GNE (or any other bus company) don't force their drivers to wear uniforms then the opinion of Joe Public is rather irrelevant in my opinion - just so long as they have their PSV badge on display.

Out of curiosity, are drivers rota'd to do this event or do they work it on a voluntary basis?
MurdnunoC
19 Apr 2014, 6:58 am #12

(19 Apr 2014, 1:07 am)GMitchelhill I also cannot see a problem with GNE drivers not in uniform driving the buses around the rally site.

Neither do I. At the end of the day it's meant to be a fun day out for all including staff. If GNE (or any other bus company) don't force their drivers to wear uniforms then the opinion of Joe Public is rather irrelevant in my opinion - just so long as they have their PSV badge on display.

Out of curiosity, are drivers rota'd to do this event or do they work it on a voluntary basis?

Dan

Site Administrator

19 Apr 2014, 7:55 am #13
(19 Apr 2014, 1:07 am)GMitchelhill I don't recall no-one being refused access to the demo vehicles. Would loved to know who said this as both demo vehicles were used for runs which is a good way to show joe public the latest vehicles.

They weren't - that's the problem. I can't remember the exact conversation I had now, but I was told that I certainly shouldn't have been allowed to get the cab shots of both vehicles. Whether it was members of the public not being able to go on the bus at all or members of the public not being able to get in the cab, I really can't remember. Worth noting that I wasn't supervised on either occasion of being in the cab of two vehicles GNE didn't own..? What if I had damaged something?

(19 Apr 2014, 6:58 am)AdamY Neither do I. At the end of the day it's meant to be a fun day out for all including staff. If GNE (or any other bus company) don't force their drivers to wear uniforms then the opinion of Joe Public is rather irrelevant in my opinion - just so long as they have their PSV badge on display.

They work on a voluntary basis as far as I'm aware but those driving the vehicles are still representing the company. Those who brought vehicles along (Arriva drivers included) had to wear uniform - so why should drivers who didn't bring vehicles along be allowed to drive buses without their uniform on?

To represent the company, the drivers should have been acting in a sensible manner and not leaving the buses unattended (as they would when driving the buses on a normal day at work). While I agree they were there for their own entertainment as enthusiasts and weren't being paid, they shouldn't have left the vehicles unattended or if they did, one driver should have stood in the middle of two vehicles.
Dan
19 Apr 2014, 7:55 am #13

(19 Apr 2014, 1:07 am)GMitchelhill I don't recall no-one being refused access to the demo vehicles. Would loved to know who said this as both demo vehicles were used for runs which is a good way to show joe public the latest vehicles.

They weren't - that's the problem. I can't remember the exact conversation I had now, but I was told that I certainly shouldn't have been allowed to get the cab shots of both vehicles. Whether it was members of the public not being able to go on the bus at all or members of the public not being able to get in the cab, I really can't remember. Worth noting that I wasn't supervised on either occasion of being in the cab of two vehicles GNE didn't own..? What if I had damaged something?

(19 Apr 2014, 6:58 am)AdamY Neither do I. At the end of the day it's meant to be a fun day out for all including staff. If GNE (or any other bus company) don't force their drivers to wear uniforms then the opinion of Joe Public is rather irrelevant in my opinion - just so long as they have their PSV badge on display.

They work on a voluntary basis as far as I'm aware but those driving the vehicles are still representing the company. Those who brought vehicles along (Arriva drivers included) had to wear uniform - so why should drivers who didn't bring vehicles along be allowed to drive buses without their uniform on?

To represent the company, the drivers should have been acting in a sensible manner and not leaving the buses unattended (as they would when driving the buses on a normal day at work). While I agree they were there for their own entertainment as enthusiasts and weren't being paid, they shouldn't have left the vehicles unattended or if they did, one driver should have stood in the middle of two vehicles.

MurdnunoC

19 Apr 2014, 8:51 am #14
(19 Apr 2014, 7:55 am)Dan They work on a voluntary basis as far as I'm aware but those driving the vehicles are still representing the company. Those who brought vehicles along (Arriva drivers included) had to wear uniform - so why should drivers who didn't bring vehicles along be allowed to drive buses without their uniform on?

It's the company's decision at the end of the day. It really doesn't bother me in the slightest and I have my doubts whether most members of the public either: a) notice; or b) care; although I accept that there might be a few that do.

I once went to a GNE recruitment day held at Gateshead Stadium back in 2004. It was an open event and anyone with a valid driving licence could come along and have a go at driving the buses. I went and had a go at driving an MPD around the car park with supervision (someone called Jeff, IIRC) - it was my first experience of driving an automatic vehicle of any type. Were GNE wrong to let me do this? And how is this any different to letting fully trained drivers having a go of vehicles around the Coach Park? You can cite the 'driver familiarisation' argument for any type of vehicle - it's not exclusive to buses. Driving a Vauxhall Vectra is slightly different from driving a Seat Ibiza or a Rover Streetwise and there's even more variety amongst vans. However, the basic operation remains the same (gears, pedals, indicators, driving wheel) and I suspect the same applies to buses.
MurdnunoC
19 Apr 2014, 8:51 am #14

(19 Apr 2014, 7:55 am)Dan They work on a voluntary basis as far as I'm aware but those driving the vehicles are still representing the company. Those who brought vehicles along (Arriva drivers included) had to wear uniform - so why should drivers who didn't bring vehicles along be allowed to drive buses without their uniform on?

It's the company's decision at the end of the day. It really doesn't bother me in the slightest and I have my doubts whether most members of the public either: a) notice; or b) care; although I accept that there might be a few that do.

I once went to a GNE recruitment day held at Gateshead Stadium back in 2004. It was an open event and anyone with a valid driving licence could come along and have a go at driving the buses. I went and had a go at driving an MPD around the car park with supervision (someone called Jeff, IIRC) - it was my first experience of driving an automatic vehicle of any type. Were GNE wrong to let me do this? And how is this any different to letting fully trained drivers having a go of vehicles around the Coach Park? You can cite the 'driver familiarisation' argument for any type of vehicle - it's not exclusive to buses. Driving a Vauxhall Vectra is slightly different from driving a Seat Ibiza or a Rover Streetwise and there's even more variety amongst vans. However, the basic operation remains the same (gears, pedals, indicators, driving wheel) and I suspect the same applies to buses.

Dan

Site Administrator

19 Apr 2014, 9:30 am #15
(19 Apr 2014, 8:51 am)AdamY It's the company's decision at the end of the day. It really doesn't bother me in the slightest and I have my doubts whether most members of the public either: a) notice; or b) care; although I accept that there might be a few that do.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest either, but the fact that drivers who volunteered to bring buses along had to come in uniform (the same applying to Arriva drivers too) suggests to me that more senior members of staff of both companies did care. All I can think is that it relates to the representation/image of the company, especially when photographs of these buses (with drivers shown in-shot) were going to appear online and can easily be found on Google.
Dan
19 Apr 2014, 9:30 am #15

(19 Apr 2014, 8:51 am)AdamY It's the company's decision at the end of the day. It really doesn't bother me in the slightest and I have my doubts whether most members of the public either: a) notice; or b) care; although I accept that there might be a few that do.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest either, but the fact that drivers who volunteered to bring buses along had to come in uniform (the same applying to Arriva drivers too) suggests to me that more senior members of staff of both companies did care. All I can think is that it relates to the representation/image of the company, especially when photographs of these buses (with drivers shown in-shot) were going to appear online and can easily be found on Google.

R838PRG

19 Apr 2014, 1:13 pm #16
(19 Apr 2014, 7:55 am)Dan They weren't - that's the problem. I can't remember the exact conversation I had now, but I was told that I certainly shouldn't have been allowed to get the cab shots of both vehicles. Whether it was members of the public not being able to go on the bus at all or members of the public not being able to get in the cab, I really can't remember. Worth noting that I wasn't supervised on either occasion of being in the cab of two vehicles GNE didn't own..? What if I had damaged something?

So what happens when the driver needs the toilet?
R838PRG
19 Apr 2014, 1:13 pm #16

(19 Apr 2014, 7:55 am)Dan They weren't - that's the problem. I can't remember the exact conversation I had now, but I was told that I certainly shouldn't have been allowed to get the cab shots of both vehicles. Whether it was members of the public not being able to go on the bus at all or members of the public not being able to get in the cab, I really can't remember. Worth noting that I wasn't supervised on either occasion of being in the cab of two vehicles GNE didn't own..? What if I had damaged something?

So what happens when the driver needs the toilet?

Dan

Site Administrator

19 Apr 2014, 1:16 pm #17
(19 Apr 2014, 1:13 pm)R838PRG So what happens when the driver needs the toilet?

I thought I had addressed this already but it must have been in a private message.

In this instance, the driver should have closed the doors on the vehicle s/he brought to the rally. The alternative to that would be for the driver to ask another driver to watch over two vehicles whilst s/he was absent.
Dan
19 Apr 2014, 1:16 pm #17

(19 Apr 2014, 1:13 pm)R838PRG So what happens when the driver needs the toilet?

I thought I had addressed this already but it must have been in a private message.

In this instance, the driver should have closed the doors on the vehicle s/he brought to the rally. The alternative to that would be for the driver to ask another driver to watch over two vehicles whilst s/he was absent.

R838PRG

19 Apr 2014, 1:16 pm #18

There was a senior go north east manager there last year actively encouraging staff to drive buses. I was talking to him and he saw the opportunity for his staff to talk to staff from other depots and try there kit as a team building exercise. He was the guy behind the line ups for photos last year.
R838PRG
19 Apr 2014, 1:16 pm #18

There was a senior go north east manager there last year actively encouraging staff to drive buses. I was talking to him and he saw the opportunity for his staff to talk to staff from other depots and try there kit as a team building exercise. He was the guy behind the line ups for photos last year.

R838PRG

19 Apr 2014, 1:18 pm #19
(19 Apr 2014, 1:16 pm)Dan I thought I had addressed this already but it must have been in a private message.

But in many cases I seen at these rallies, enthusiasts just own doors and think they have the right to crawl all over buses.
R838PRG
19 Apr 2014, 1:18 pm #19

(19 Apr 2014, 1:16 pm)Dan I thought I had addressed this already but it must have been in a private message.

But in many cases I seen at these rallies, enthusiasts just own doors and think they have the right to crawl all over buses.

Dan

Site Administrator

19 Apr 2014, 1:29 pm #20
(19 Apr 2014, 1:18 pm)R838PRG But in many cases I seen at these rallies, enthusiasts just own doors and think they have the right to crawl all over buses.

The bus drivers who have brought vehicles along to the rally hold a position of authority - as they do in their normal day-to-day jobs. Enthusiasts are human and they will do as they're told.

Besides - if a bus is left open, why shouldn't the enthusiast board it? If they weren't allowed to be on-board, the bus shouldn't have its doors open.
Dan
19 Apr 2014, 1:29 pm #20

(19 Apr 2014, 1:18 pm)R838PRG But in many cases I seen at these rallies, enthusiasts just own doors and think they have the right to crawl all over buses.

The bus drivers who have brought vehicles along to the rally hold a position of authority - as they do in their normal day-to-day jobs. Enthusiasts are human and they will do as they're told.

Besides - if a bus is left open, why shouldn't the enthusiast board it? If they weren't allowed to be on-board, the bus shouldn't have its doors open.

Pages (6) 1 2 36 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average