North East Buses The Canteen General off-topic chat Examinations

Examinations

Examinations

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (8) 1 2 38 Next
Dan

Site Administrator

12 May 2014, 5:23 am #1
Day 1 of exams today... Do reckon I am going to be morbidly obese by the time the exams finish due to the amount of sugary foods I'm eating to combat the stress! Tongue

Upside of today is that, at 15:00, I've no requirement to speak French again!
Dan
12 May 2014, 5:23 am #1

Day 1 of exams today... Do reckon I am going to be morbidly obese by the time the exams finish due to the amount of sugary foods I'm eating to combat the stress! Tongue

Michael

12 May 2014, 6:48 am #2
(12 May 2014, 5:23 am)Dan Day 1 of exams today... Do reckon I am going to be morbidly obese by the time the exams finish due to the amount of sugary foods I'm eating to combat the stress! Tongue

Big Grin good luck Dan

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
12 May 2014, 6:48 am #2

(12 May 2014, 5:23 am)Dan Day 1 of exams today... Do reckon I am going to be morbidly obese by the time the exams finish due to the amount of sugary foods I'm eating to combat the stress! Tongue

Big Grin good luck Dan

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

12 May 2014, 2:19 pm #3
Hahahaha.. what an awful start to my exams. May as well have just spent extra time revising Biology last night instead because what very little revision I did do for French didn't help me.
Dan
12 May 2014, 2:19 pm #3

Hahahaha.. what an awful start to my exams. May as well have just spent extra time revising Biology last night instead because what very little revision I did do for French didn't help me.

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

12 May 2014, 3:51 pm #4
(12 May 2014, 2:19 pm)Dan Hahahaha.. what an awful start to my exams. May as well have just spent extra time revising Biology last night instead because what very little revision I did do for French didn't help me.

Are you doing GCSE or A-Level...

Whatever, do your best, don't do what I did...fuck them up...I am sure you will be fine...take care and all the best with the exams my friend
MrFozz
12 May 2014, 3:51 pm #4

(12 May 2014, 2:19 pm)Dan Hahahaha.. what an awful start to my exams. May as well have just spent extra time revising Biology last night instead because what very little revision I did do for French didn't help me.

Are you doing GCSE or A-Level...

Whatever, do your best, don't do what I did...fuck them up...I am sure you will be fine...take care and all the best with the exams my friend

Dan

Site Administrator

12 May 2014, 4:02 pm #5
(12 May 2014, 3:51 pm)marxistafozzski Are you doing GCSE or A-Level...

Just GCSE.

Got Biology tomorrow, then ICT on Wednesday and Chemistry on Thursday.

Alright with Module 2 Biology, but less confident with Module 3. ICT should be okay... Gonna have to stick at the Chemistry revision for the next few days before the exam though!
Dan
12 May 2014, 4:02 pm #5

(12 May 2014, 3:51 pm)marxistafozzski Are you doing GCSE or A-Level...

Just GCSE.

Alright with Module 2 Biology, but less confident with Module 3. ICT should be okay... Gonna have to stick at the Chemistry revision for the next few days before the exam though!

mb134

12 May 2014, 5:14 pm #6
(12 May 2014, 4:02 pm)Dan Just GCSE.

Good luck for the biology tomorrow, do you do triple, separate or further additional?
mb134
12 May 2014, 5:14 pm #6

(12 May 2014, 4:02 pm)Dan Just GCSE.

Good luck for the biology tomorrow, do you do triple, separate or further additional?

Dan

Site Administrator

12 May 2014, 5:19 pm #7
(12 May 2014, 5:14 pm)mb134 Good luck for the biology tomorrow, do you do triple, separate or further additional?

Cheers.
Er, I have no idea... I know I do all three sciences as three different GCSEs and each of them have four modules (if you include the ISA as a module)?

I know I'm currently sitting on a full marks ISA (25% of overall GCSE) in Physics, and we were told that providing we got A*s/As in the ISAs in Biology/Chemistry, we wouldn't have to re-do them. The fact I haven't had to re-do either is a positive sign, I guess..! Going off last year's Biology ISA, 42/50 was required for an A* and 38/50 for an A... Can't imagine that would have been too difficult to get (assuming it stays at a similar grade boundary this year) given the help we received...

Has been some really low grade boundaries for Biology Module 3 in recent years and that's the one I struggle the most with for Biology. Last year, an A* grade for Module 3 equated to 36/60 marks. I'm predicting that, in the exam itself, I'll struggle massively and I'll be really disappointed with myself - but hope that everyone in the country will be exactly the same so it won't end up being too bad in terms of a grade.
Dan
12 May 2014, 5:19 pm #7

(12 May 2014, 5:14 pm)mb134 Good luck for the biology tomorrow, do you do triple, separate or further additional?

Cheers.
Er, I have no idea... I know I do all three sciences as three different GCSEs and each of them have four modules (if you include the ISA as a module)?

I know I'm currently sitting on a full marks ISA (25% of overall GCSE) in Physics, and we were told that providing we got A*s/As in the ISAs in Biology/Chemistry, we wouldn't have to re-do them. The fact I haven't had to re-do either is a positive sign, I guess..! Going off last year's Biology ISA, 42/50 was required for an A* and 38/50 for an A... Can't imagine that would have been too difficult to get (assuming it stays at a similar grade boundary this year) given the help we received...

Has been some really low grade boundaries for Biology Module 3 in recent years and that's the one I struggle the most with for Biology. Last year, an A* grade for Module 3 equated to 36/60 marks. I'm predicting that, in the exam itself, I'll struggle massively and I'll be really disappointed with myself - but hope that everyone in the country will be exactly the same so it won't end up being too bad in terms of a grade.

mb134

12 May 2014, 5:42 pm #8
(12 May 2014, 5:19 pm)Dan Cheers.

Hoping the same, got 22 out of 60 on my unit 3 biology mock 2 weeks ago Sad
mb134
12 May 2014, 5:42 pm #8

(12 May 2014, 5:19 pm)Dan Cheers.

Hoping the same, got 22 out of 60 on my unit 3 biology mock 2 weeks ago Sad

Dan

Site Administrator

12 May 2014, 6:37 pm #9
(12 May 2014, 5:42 pm)mb134 Hoping the same, got 22 out of 60 on my unit 3 biology mock 2 weeks ago Sad

Write 'large surface area' whenever you see any sort of cell/tissue and you can pretty much guarantee yourself a C.

I dread to think how many times I've written that phrase this evening.
Dan
12 May 2014, 6:37 pm #9

(12 May 2014, 5:42 pm)mb134 Hoping the same, got 22 out of 60 on my unit 3 biology mock 2 weeks ago Sad

Write 'large surface area' whenever you see any sort of cell/tissue and you can pretty much guarantee yourself a C.

I dread to think how many times I've written that phrase this evening.

Adrian

12 May 2014, 7:24 pm #10
I dunno if they still do it now, but we used to just do double award science at school, unless you chose separate sciences as your options. I didn't really like it at all. Was only interested if we were setting fire to something. The biggest issue I had personally was that I felt a lot of it didn't have a lot of relevance, and that's half the problem. Still managed to scrape two Cs somehow.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
12 May 2014, 7:24 pm #10

I dunno if they still do it now, but we used to just do double award science at school, unless you chose separate sciences as your options. I didn't really like it at all. Was only interested if we were setting fire to something. The biggest issue I had personally was that I felt a lot of it didn't have a lot of relevance, and that's half the problem. Still managed to scrape two Cs somehow.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Dan

Site Administrator

13 May 2014, 4:04 pm #11

How did you do?

My entire year group bar one lad does Biology, and all twenty of us came out and said how hard we found the Module 2 exam. I found some of the questions alright but a number of them were complete guesses. Module 3 was fine though.

Was so glad to see the final question on shrimps (topic being speciation?) as we'd done that question so many times in class. For all six marks, key words to include were; isolation/separation, variation, natural selection (some die, some survive), those that survive reproduce and pass on best characteristics over many generations. To prove they were different species, the shrimps could not have reproduced and produce fertile offspring.
Dan
13 May 2014, 4:04 pm #11

How did you do?

My entire year group bar one lad does Biology, and all twenty of us came out and said how hard we found the Module 2 exam. I found some of the questions alright but a number of them were complete guesses. Module 3 was fine though.

Was so glad to see the final question on shrimps (topic being speciation?) as we'd done that question so many times in class. For all six marks, key words to include were; isolation/separation, variation, natural selection (some die, some survive), those that survive reproduce and pass on best characteristics over many generations. To prove they were different species, the shrimps could not have reproduced and produce fertile offspring.

mb134

13 May 2014, 5:19 pm #12
(13 May 2014, 4:04 pm)Dan How did you do?

Yeah unit 2 exam went ok some questions I made silly mistakes, unit 3 I think was better than the specimen paper we did, especially the fish energy question. Have to finish this IT controlled assessment tonight amd revise for tomorrows exam Sad
mb134
13 May 2014, 5:19 pm #12

(13 May 2014, 4:04 pm)Dan How did you do?

Yeah unit 2 exam went ok some questions I made silly mistakes, unit 3 I think was better than the specimen paper we did, especially the fish energy question. Have to finish this IT controlled assessment tonight amd revise for tomorrows exam Sad

Dan

Site Administrator

13 May 2014, 5:24 pm #13
(13 May 2014, 5:19 pm)mb134 Yeah unit 2 exam went ok some questions I made silly mistakes, unit 3 I think was better than the specimen paper we did, especially the fish energy question. Have to finish this IT controlled assessment tonight amd revise for tomorrows exam Sad

I was a bit lost off when it came to the fish energy question.

I know that, because they were confined to the fish farm and were not free to move, less energy was converted into movement energy and as such they had more energy for growth... But I couldn't really come up with another reason to explain and I'm sure it was 4 marks? I ended up babbling on about it being warmer, as I think that was another factor we looked at (although we looked at an example of chickens/hens in cages or something like that). Obviously inside of a barn yard would be warmer than out in a field, but I'm not so sure that would apply to a fish farm in the sea.

ICT exams are usually fairly straight forward (assuming you're doing Edexcel as opposed to AQA?)
Indeed my ICT teacher told us that if we have a more important subject (i.e. English or Maths), we should prioritise revision for those over ICT as we'll probably be able to get As even by winging it.
Didn't know how to feel about my coursework being sent off to the moderator. Was a number of us whose coursework had to go to the moderator and I just signed the form to say that was fine - praying that it's all okay now though...
Dan
13 May 2014, 5:24 pm #13

(13 May 2014, 5:19 pm)mb134 Yeah unit 2 exam went ok some questions I made silly mistakes, unit 3 I think was better than the specimen paper we did, especially the fish energy question. Have to finish this IT controlled assessment tonight amd revise for tomorrows exam Sad

I was a bit lost off when it came to the fish energy question.

I know that, because they were confined to the fish farm and were not free to move, less energy was converted into movement energy and as such they had more energy for growth... But I couldn't really come up with another reason to explain and I'm sure it was 4 marks? I ended up babbling on about it being warmer, as I think that was another factor we looked at (although we looked at an example of chickens/hens in cages or something like that). Obviously inside of a barn yard would be warmer than out in a field, but I'm not so sure that would apply to a fish farm in the sea.

ICT exams are usually fairly straight forward (assuming you're doing Edexcel as opposed to AQA?)
Indeed my ICT teacher told us that if we have a more important subject (i.e. English or Maths), we should prioritise revision for those over ICT as we'll probably be able to get As even by winging it.
Didn't know how to feel about my coursework being sent off to the moderator. Was a number of us whose coursework had to go to the moderator and I just signed the form to say that was fine - praying that it's all okay now though...

mb134

13 May 2014, 5:36 pm #14
(13 May 2014, 5:24 pm)Dan I was a bit lost off when it came to the fish energy question.

Yeah doing Edexcel, got an A* in the mock so hopefully I'll be able to do that again and yeah my coursework is being sent as well, hoping it's fine Undecided
mb134
13 May 2014, 5:36 pm #14

(13 May 2014, 5:24 pm)Dan I was a bit lost off when it came to the fish energy question.

Yeah doing Edexcel, got an A* in the mock so hopefully I'll be able to do that again and yeah my coursework is being sent as well, hoping it's fine Undecided

Dan

Site Administrator

14 May 2014, 11:19 am #15
(13 May 2014, 5:36 pm)mb134 Yeah doing Edexcel, got an A* in the mock so hopefully I'll be able to do that again and yeah my coursework is being sent as well, hoping it's fine Undecided

This is turning into an exam-style thread, but y'know! Tongue

Mixed emotions from me about the ICT. General consensus was that it was an alright exam, but by far the hardest out of the past papers we've done. Seems I'm the only one in my year group who knew what 'open source software' was, and the majority of them were pleased I taught them a few things in the Common Room just before the exam as they actually cropped up (high bandwidth and low latency to provide better gaming experience was one example).

Some Tweets about the exams this week...

inactive bc exams ‏@ziamsclifford 2h
Never did I once think that my Biology GCSE would depend on two shrimps not being horny

Well done AQA ? wasn't expecting that one

x+emma+x ‏@edsheeranplus 20h
aqa biology gcse: "why didn't the shrimps want to mate?" me: because he didn't take her to dinner first

Tom Spence ‏@tom5pence192 14h
16 case studies to learn off by heart for geography.
1 used in the exam.
AQA Logic
#geography #GCSE

Megan Bowie ‏@bowpowwow 14h
Loving the Craic on twitter about the aqa gcse biology exam ,glad I'm not the only one who didn't give a shit about the shrimps love life

Suzie Cantillon ‏@suzie_cantillon 14h
"biology paper today

why wouldn't the two shrimps want to mate

idk they are not in the mood for love

stupid aqa gcse”

Henry Day ‏@Henry_Day1 May 12
when AQA practically describes Project-X in a GCSE French reading exam

Also - unofficial markscheme for the French: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthre...?t=2677384

I've failed just about as much as I had imagined!
Dan
14 May 2014, 11:19 am #15

(13 May 2014, 5:36 pm)mb134 Yeah doing Edexcel, got an A* in the mock so hopefully I'll be able to do that again and yeah my coursework is being sent as well, hoping it's fine Undecided

This is turning into an exam-style thread, but y'know! Tongue

Mixed emotions from me about the ICT. General consensus was that it was an alright exam, but by far the hardest out of the past papers we've done. Seems I'm the only one in my year group who knew what 'open source software' was, and the majority of them were pleased I taught them a few things in the Common Room just before the exam as they actually cropped up (high bandwidth and low latency to provide better gaming experience was one example).

Some Tweets about the exams this week...

inactive bc exams ‏@ziamsclifford 2h
Never did I once think that my Biology GCSE would depend on two shrimps not being horny

Well done AQA ? wasn't expecting that one

x+emma+x ‏@edsheeranplus 20h
aqa biology gcse: "why didn't the shrimps want to mate?" me: because he didn't take her to dinner first

Tom Spence ‏@tom5pence192 14h
16 case studies to learn off by heart for geography.
1 used in the exam.
AQA Logic
#geography #GCSE

Megan Bowie ‏@bowpowwow 14h
Loving the Craic on twitter about the aqa gcse biology exam ,glad I'm not the only one who didn't give a shit about the shrimps love life

Suzie Cantillon ‏@suzie_cantillon 14h
"biology paper today

why wouldn't the two shrimps want to mate

idk they are not in the mood for love

stupid aqa gcse”

Henry Day ‏@Henry_Day1 May 12
when AQA practically describes Project-X in a GCSE French reading exam

Also - unofficial markscheme for the French: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthre...?t=2677384

MurdnunoC

14 May 2014, 11:34 am #16
(14 May 2014, 11:19 am)Dan Also - unofficial markscheme for the French: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthre...?t=2677384

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I really don't understand why schools in this country still insist on teaching French anyway. Surely it would make more sense to teach Spanish or Mandarin as both languages are more widely spoken than English. A case could also be made for teaching Arabic or Hindi but French? Nah!
MurdnunoC
14 May 2014, 11:34 am #16

(14 May 2014, 11:19 am)Dan Also - unofficial markscheme for the French: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthre...?t=2677384

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I really don't understand why schools in this country still insist on teaching French anyway. Surely it would make more sense to teach Spanish or Mandarin as both languages are more widely spoken than English. A case could also be made for teaching Arabic or Hindi but French? Nah!

Dan

Site Administrator

14 May 2014, 11:35 am #17
(14 May 2014, 11:34 am)AdamY I wouldn't worry about it too much. I really don't understand why schools in this country still insist on teaching French anyway. Surely it would make more sense to teach Spanish or Mandarin as both languages are more widely spoken than English. A case could also be made for teaching Arabic or Hindi but French? Nah!

Maybe not Mandarin, but I would have preferred learning Spanish to French... Guess it's too late now! Tongue
Dan
14 May 2014, 11:35 am #17

(14 May 2014, 11:34 am)AdamY I wouldn't worry about it too much. I really don't understand why schools in this country still insist on teaching French anyway. Surely it would make more sense to teach Spanish or Mandarin as both languages are more widely spoken than English. A case could also be made for teaching Arabic or Hindi but French? Nah!

Maybe not Mandarin, but I would have preferred learning Spanish to French... Guess it's too late now! Tongue

MurdnunoC

14 May 2014, 11:46 am #18
(14 May 2014, 11:35 am)Dan Maybe not Mandarin, but I would have preferred learning Spanish to French... Guess it's too late now! Tongue

It's never too late. Download yourself a copy of Rosetta Stone and enrol on a GCSE Spanish course while doing your A Levels.

Do it while it's still free because if you decide that you want to learn a language after the age of 18 - it's probably going to cost you.
MurdnunoC
14 May 2014, 11:46 am #18

(14 May 2014, 11:35 am)Dan Maybe not Mandarin, but I would have preferred learning Spanish to French... Guess it's too late now! Tongue

It's never too late. Download yourself a copy of Rosetta Stone and enrol on a GCSE Spanish course while doing your A Levels.

Do it while it's still free because if you decide that you want to learn a language after the age of 18 - it's probably going to cost you.

Dan

Site Administrator

14 May 2014, 11:48 am #19
(14 May 2014, 11:46 am)AdamY It's never too late. Download yourself a copy of Rosetta Stone and enrol on a GCSE Spanish course while doing your A Levels.

Don't think it is free for me!

We weren't ever told that we paid for our GCSEs but a couple of the teachers mentioned it a week or two ago. Maths teacher was as blunt as to say, "If you don't like paying for exams, bugger off five minutes up the road where they pay for the exams for you."
Dan
14 May 2014, 11:48 am #19

(14 May 2014, 11:46 am)AdamY It's never too late. Download yourself a copy of Rosetta Stone and enrol on a GCSE Spanish course while doing your A Levels.

Don't think it is free for me!

We weren't ever told that we paid for our GCSEs but a couple of the teachers mentioned it a week or two ago. Maths teacher was as blunt as to say, "If you don't like paying for exams, bugger off five minutes up the road where they pay for the exams for you."

Andreos1

14 May 2014, 11:58 am #20

One of my younger brothers (big age gap) is doing French at Uni.
He studied it at GCSE and All-level and got A*.

The other degree he is doing (started from scratch at uni like his peers) - Mandarin Chinese.
Obviously as well as learning the spoken language, he needs to learn the written language and with the course being structures the way it is, could do both after a few months.

He is off to China for a year in the summer.

Never too late to learn something new.
Edited 14 May 2014, 12:12 pm by Andreos1.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
14 May 2014, 11:58 am #20

One of my younger brothers (big age gap) is doing French at Uni.
He studied it at GCSE and All-level and got A*.

The other degree he is doing (started from scratch at uni like his peers) - Mandarin Chinese.
Obviously as well as learning the spoken language, he needs to learn the written language and with the course being structures the way it is, could do both after a few months.

He is off to China for a year in the summer.

Never too late to learn something new.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Pages (8) 1 2 38 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average