Menu

North East Buses The Canteen General off-topic chat Examinations

Examinations

Examinations

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (8) Previous 1 2 38 Next
MurdnunoC

14 May 2014, 12:00 pm #21
(14 May 2014, 11:48 am)Dan Don't think it is free for me!

We weren't ever told that we paid for our GCSEs but a couple of the teachers mentioned it a week or two ago. Maths teacher was as blunt as to say, "If you don't like paying for exams, bugger off five minutes up the road where they pay for the exams for you."

After that comment, I'd be questioning his commitment to teaching students at a secondary school where pupils are required by law to attend

That's presuming, of course, you attend a state school rather than a public school where fees are paid privately.
MurdnunoC
14 May 2014, 12:00 pm #21

(14 May 2014, 11:48 am)Dan Don't think it is free for me!

We weren't ever told that we paid for our GCSEs but a couple of the teachers mentioned it a week or two ago. Maths teacher was as blunt as to say, "If you don't like paying for exams, bugger off five minutes up the road where they pay for the exams for you."

After that comment, I'd be questioning his commitment to teaching students at a secondary school where pupils are required by law to attend

That's presuming, of course, you attend a state school rather than a public school where fees are paid privately.

Dan

Site Administrator

14 May 2014, 12:16 pm #22
(14 May 2014, 12:00 pm)AdamY After that comment, I'd be questioning his commitment to teaching students at a secondary school where pupils are required by law to attend

Nah, it's a public school I go to.

He was referring to the nearest state school to us which is a five minute walk up the road.
Dan
14 May 2014, 12:16 pm #22

(14 May 2014, 12:00 pm)AdamY After that comment, I'd be questioning his commitment to teaching students at a secondary school where pupils are required by law to attend

Nah, it's a public school I go to.

He was referring to the nearest state school to us which is a five minute walk up the road.

mb134

14 May 2014, 5:50 pm #23
(14 May 2014, 11:19 am)Dan This is turning into an exam-style thread, but y'know! Tongue

Mixed emotions from me about the ICT. General consensus was that it was an alright exam, but by far the hardest out of the past papers we've done. Seems I'm the only one in my year group who knew what 'open source software' was, and the majority of them were pleased I taught them a few things in the Common Room just before the exam as they actually cropped up (high bandwidth and low latency to provide better gaming experience was one example).

Some Tweets about the exams this week...

Also - unofficial markscheme for the French: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthre...?t=2677384

I've failed just about as much as I had imagined!
Oh dear dont think I did well in French, cant remember some of my exact answers though. Yeah I liked the "open source" question today, hated the first big 6 marker though Undecided
mb134
14 May 2014, 5:50 pm #23

(14 May 2014, 11:19 am)Dan This is turning into an exam-style thread, but y'know! Tongue

Mixed emotions from me about the ICT. General consensus was that it was an alright exam, but by far the hardest out of the past papers we've done. Seems I'm the only one in my year group who knew what 'open source software' was, and the majority of them were pleased I taught them a few things in the Common Room just before the exam as they actually cropped up (high bandwidth and low latency to provide better gaming experience was one example).

Some Tweets about the exams this week...

Also - unofficial markscheme for the French: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthre...?t=2677384

I've failed just about as much as I had imagined!
Oh dear dont think I did well in French, cant remember some of my exact answers though. Yeah I liked the "open source" question today, hated the first big 6 marker though Undecided

Dan

Site Administrator

14 May 2014, 7:12 pm #24
(14 May 2014, 5:50 pm)mb134 Oh dear dont think I did well in French, cant remember some of my exact answers though. Yeah I liked the "open source" question today, hated the first big 6 marker though Undecided

What did you put for the "38% of women play mobile phone games" or something like that? We all put different answers in my year group - the question was so badly worded...

I said something about females downloading fitness-related apps/games but males downloading sports related apps/games, with the former being more beneficial to a person's health (the impact as the question referred to)...
Others in my year group said that girls had larger screen sizes for their mobile phones for better gaming experience, and others said that girls had the latest mobile phones because they read magazines.
I don't think any two of us had the same answer for that question.

Wasn't keen on either of the 6-markers. Again, poorly worded. I was hoping for a High St vs Online Shopping 6-marker, but nope..!

My ICT teacher is an Edexcel examiner so I was going to go and see her tomorrow to see what the answers were...
Dan
14 May 2014, 7:12 pm #24

(14 May 2014, 5:50 pm)mb134 Oh dear dont think I did well in French, cant remember some of my exact answers though. Yeah I liked the "open source" question today, hated the first big 6 marker though Undecided

What did you put for the "38% of women play mobile phone games" or something like that? We all put different answers in my year group - the question was so badly worded...

I said something about females downloading fitness-related apps/games but males downloading sports related apps/games, with the former being more beneficial to a person's health (the impact as the question referred to)...
Others in my year group said that girls had larger screen sizes for their mobile phones for better gaming experience, and others said that girls had the latest mobile phones because they read magazines.

Wasn't keen on either of the 6-markers. Again, poorly worded. I was hoping for a High St vs Online Shopping 6-marker, but nope..!

My ICT teacher is an Edexcel examiner so I was going to go and see her tomorrow to see what the answers were...

mb134

14 May 2014, 7:22 pm #25
(14 May 2014, 7:12 pm)Dan What did you put for the "38% of women play mobile phone games" or something like that? We all put different answers in my year group - the question was so badly worded...

Some of my class put highly sexist things for that question Smile I was hoping for a question like that as well, oh well chemistry tomorrow Sad
mb134
14 May 2014, 7:22 pm #25

(14 May 2014, 7:12 pm)Dan What did you put for the "38% of women play mobile phone games" or something like that? We all put different answers in my year group - the question was so badly worded...

Some of my class put highly sexist things for that question Smile I was hoping for a question like that as well, oh well chemistry tomorrow Sad

Dan

Site Administrator

15 May 2014, 10:45 am #26
(14 May 2014, 7:22 pm)mb134 Some of my class put highly sexist things for that question Smile I was hoping for a question like that as well, oh well chemistry tomorrow Sad

Split the thread to make a new one about exams... Easier!

I thought C2 was alright, but C3 was a lot harder. Expected worse for both, mind.
Glad I've got no more exams until the 19th now - bliss! Have to go back in school to get some preliminary material this afternoon, but I've got all day tomorrow off.
Dan
15 May 2014, 10:45 am #26

(14 May 2014, 7:22 pm)mb134 Some of my class put highly sexist things for that question Smile I was hoping for a question like that as well, oh well chemistry tomorrow Sad

Split the thread to make a new one about exams... Easier!

I thought C2 was alright, but C3 was a lot harder. Expected worse for both, mind.
Glad I've got no more exams until the 19th now - bliss! Have to go back in school to get some preliminary material this afternoon, but I've got all day tomorrow off.

mb134

15 May 2014, 11:22 am #27
(15 May 2014, 10:45 am)Dan Split the thread to make a new one about exams... Easier!

R.E this afternoon then history tomorrow for me Sad yeah chemistry did get harder I thought as well in C3
Edited 15 May 2014, 11:54 am by mb134.
mb134
15 May 2014, 11:22 am #27

(15 May 2014, 10:45 am)Dan Split the thread to make a new one about exams... Easier!

R.E this afternoon then history tomorrow for me Sad yeah chemistry did get harder I thought as well in C3

Andreos1

15 May 2014, 3:46 pm #28
Just remember if you get an 'ology', you can become a scientist!
http://youtu.be/jC_-r-J69qA

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
15 May 2014, 3:46 pm #28

Just remember if you get an 'ology', you can become a scientist!

mb134

15 May 2014, 3:49 pm #29
(15 May 2014, 3:46 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Just remember if you get an 'ology', you can become a scientist!
Made my day Big Grin
mb134
15 May 2014, 3:49 pm #29

(15 May 2014, 3:46 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Just remember if you get an 'ology', you can become a scientist!
Made my day Big Grin

MurdnunoC

15 May 2014, 8:23 pm #30

I remember the advert well. I found these adverts to be far more tolerable than the B.T. adverts featuring Nick Harper from My Family and his extended family.
MurdnunoC
15 May 2014, 8:23 pm #30

I remember the advert well. I found these adverts to be far more tolerable than the B.T. adverts featuring Nick Harper from My Family and his extended family.

Andreos1

15 May 2014, 9:12 pm #31
(15 May 2014, 8:23 pm)AdamY I remember the advert well. I found these adverts to be far more tolerable than the B.T. adverts featuring Nick Harper from My Family and his extended family.

Buzby was a favourite. The Bob Hoskins ones were good - hate the current ones with the students though.

Andreos1
15 May 2014, 9:12 pm #31

(15 May 2014, 8:23 pm)AdamY I remember the advert well. I found these adverts to be far more tolerable than the B.T. adverts featuring Nick Harper from My Family and his extended family.

Buzby was a favourite. The Bob Hoskins ones were good - hate the current ones with the students though.

Dan

Site Administrator

19 May 2014, 4:03 pm #32
Daniel Graham
‏@danielgrahamm
GCSE Physics: Where students learn how to tip disabled people out of wheelchairs. #aqa #gcsephysics

All I've got to say about today's Physics exam really!
Dan
19 May 2014, 4:03 pm #32

Daniel Graham
‏@danielgrahamm
GCSE Physics: Where students learn how to tip disabled people out of wheelchairs. #aqa #gcsephysics

All I've got to say about today's Physics exam really!

MurdnunoC

19 May 2014, 4:38 pm #33
(19 May 2014, 4:03 pm)Dan All I've got to say about today's Physics exam really!

Or, conversely, where students learn how not to tip disabled people out of wheelchairs based upon varying degrees of force, balance and stability.
MurdnunoC
19 May 2014, 4:38 pm #33

(19 May 2014, 4:03 pm)Dan All I've got to say about today's Physics exam really!

Or, conversely, where students learn how not to tip disabled people out of wheelchairs based upon varying degrees of force, balance and stability.

mb134

19 May 2014, 4:51 pm #34
Got a migraine in the middle Sad feel the second paper was better though more formula based and more stuff came up that I had properly revised
mb134
19 May 2014, 4:51 pm #34

Got a migraine in the middle Sad feel the second paper was better though more formula based and more stuff came up that I had properly revised

Dan

Site Administrator

19 May 2014, 4:54 pm #35
(19 May 2014, 4:51 pm)mb134 Got a migraine in the middle Sad feel the second paper was better though more formula based and more stuff came up that I had properly revised

I preferred Module 2 because it was essentially Maths with a tiny bit of Physics. The Physics that was in it was Physics I'd learnt.

I hated the Module 3 one because I hadn't learnt any of it at all. Our Physics teacher is terribly and only finished the syllabus on Friday just gone after a two hour revision session after school. He rushed it and told us to learn it ourselves, which I had tried to do.
Dan
19 May 2014, 4:54 pm #35

(19 May 2014, 4:51 pm)mb134 Got a migraine in the middle Sad feel the second paper was better though more formula based and more stuff came up that I had properly revised

I preferred Module 2 because it was essentially Maths with a tiny bit of Physics. The Physics that was in it was Physics I'd learnt.

I hated the Module 3 one because I hadn't learnt any of it at all. Our Physics teacher is terribly and only finished the syllabus on Friday just gone after a two hour revision session after school. He rushed it and told us to learn it ourselves, which I had tried to do.

mb134

19 May 2014, 5:00 pm #36
(19 May 2014, 4:54 pm)Dan I preferred Module 2 because it was essentially Maths with a tiny bit of Physics. The Physics that was in it was Physics I'd learnt.

With the bit about the Unit 3 we were tought similarly but since I knew this in around March I had plenty of time, in the end though I think it meant I didnt do enough for unit 2
Edited 19 May 2014, 5:10 pm by mb134.
mb134
19 May 2014, 5:00 pm #36

(19 May 2014, 4:54 pm)Dan I preferred Module 2 because it was essentially Maths with a tiny bit of Physics. The Physics that was in it was Physics I'd learnt.

With the bit about the Unit 3 we were tought similarly but since I knew this in around March I had plenty of time, in the end though I think it meant I didnt do enough for unit 2

Dan

Site Administrator

20 May 2014, 6:38 am #37
English Lit today... One I've been looking forward to but dreading equally as much, given that I want to continue English at A-Level (undecided as to whether that's just to AS or up to A2).
Can't say I've done a lot of work for revision on To Kill a Mockingbird, but I know An Inspector Calls quite well.
Dan
20 May 2014, 6:38 am #37

English Lit today... One I've been looking forward to but dreading equally as much, given that I want to continue English at A-Level (undecided as to whether that's just to AS or up to A2).
Can't say I've done a lot of work for revision on To Kill a Mockingbird, but I know An Inspector Calls quite well.

mb134

20 May 2014, 7:29 am #38
(20 May 2014, 6:38 am)Dan English Lit today... One I've been looking forward to but dreading equally as much, given that I want to continue English at A-Level (undecided as to whether that's just to AS or up to A2).
We're doing the woman in black and of mice and men, keep getting confused between the film of TWIB and the book Sad
mb134
20 May 2014, 7:29 am #38

(20 May 2014, 6:38 am)Dan English Lit today... One I've been looking forward to but dreading equally as much, given that I want to continue English at A-Level (undecided as to whether that's just to AS or up to A2).
We're doing the woman in black and of mice and men, keep getting confused between the film of TWIB and the book Sad

Andreos1

20 May 2014, 11:57 am #39
(20 May 2014, 7:29 am)mb134 We're doing the woman in black and of mice and men, keep getting confused between the film of TWIB and the book Sad

Is Mice and Men still part of the curriculum?
Been left school a long time and we did that!

Andreos1
20 May 2014, 11:57 am #39

(20 May 2014, 7:29 am)mb134 We're doing the woman in black and of mice and men, keep getting confused between the film of TWIB and the book Sad

Is Mice and Men still part of the curriculum?
Been left school a long time and we did that!

MurdnunoC

20 May 2014, 1:01 pm #40
I think we did 'Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry' as our main literature piece when I was at school doing GCSE's. We also did 'An Inspector Calls' at some point - I remember watching the film in class.
MurdnunoC
20 May 2014, 1:01 pm #40

I think we did 'Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry' as our main literature piece when I was at school doing GCSE's. We also did 'An Inspector Calls' at some point - I remember watching the film in class.

Pages (8) Previous 1 2 38 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average