North East Buses

Full Version: NEB Challenge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hi everyone,

During a PM conversation with Tom, he came up with the idea of the 'NEB Challenge'. Basically, everyone starts the challenge at a set time, and ends by a set time (eg 9:00 to 4:00), and gains points through the different liveries and vehicles types they use during their day.

The rules;
- you must provide proof of your journeys
- you can remain anonymous
- you can work in groups (up to 2)

Here is the scoring system;

Riverside
TEN B9TL Wright Eclipse Gemini – 1 Point
ToonLinkVolvo B10BLE 3 Points and Volvo B7RLE 5 Points
Crusader Mercedes Citaro – 1 Point
NexusBus Solo (29) – 10 Points
Blaydon Racers Citaro – 1 Point
Orbit Optare Versa – 1 Point
Saltwell Park Wright Streetlite – 1 Point
Fab FiftySeven Volvo B10BLE – 4 Points
CityLink 58 Optare Versa – 1 Point
Loop 93/94 Scania L94UB Wright Solar – 3 Points
Highwayham Scania L94UB Wright Solar – 1 Point
MetroCente Shuttle VDL SB120 Wright Merit – 3 Points
TyneTees Xpress Volvo B9TL Wright Eclipse Gemini – 5 Points, Spare 10 Points
Great Park & Ride Scania L94UA Wright Solar Fusion - 5 Points

Deptford
Silver Arrows 2A/2C Mercedes Citaro – 1 Point
Prince Bishops Scania L94UB Wright Solar – 1 Point
Laser Mercedes Citaro (2 Points) and Scania L94UB Wright Solar (4 Points)
East Durham 238 Transbus Mini Pointer Dart (MPD) – 8 Points
Purple Versa, Optare Versa – 3 Points
SimpliCity 42 Optare Versa - 1 Point
Fab56 Volvo B9TL Wright Eclipse Gemini – 1 Point
Drifter Wright Streetlite – 3 Points
SimpliCity 61Optare Versa – 5 Points
Service 99, Yellow Transbus Mini Pointer Dart (MPD) – 8 Points
FastCats Scania L94UB Wright Solar – 3 Points
Sunderland Connect 700 – 5 Points

Percy Main
Coaster Scania Omnicity- 3 Points
Cobalt Connect 19: Scania Omnicity – 5 Points
North Tyne Transbus Mini Pointer Dart (MPD) – 5 Points (Bonus: Find the flip dot MPD, and get 10 points!)
Cobalt Clipper Volvo B9TL Wright Eclipse Gemini – 1 Point
Dual Door Renowns 3 Points, if you can find the Retro seated one, then 12 bonus points.
DFDS Buses – 20 Points

Chester
Lime Volvo B10BLE – 8 points for branded ones, normal scoring for Northern B10BLE applies
angel 21 Volvo B5LH Wright Eclipse Gemini 1 Point and Volvo B7TL Wright Eclipse Gemini 3 Points
theWaggonway Scania L94UB Wright Solar – 3 Points
Whey Aye Five-0 Scania Omnicity – 3 Points)

Stanley
Lime Volvo B10BLE – 8 points for branded ones, normal scoring for Northern B10BLE applies
Diamond Mercedes Citaro – 1 Point
Red Kite/Northern Scania Omnicity – 1 Point
Beamish Branded Renown – 15 Points

Washington
Connections 4 Mercedes Citaro - 1 Point
South Tyne Optare Versa – 3 Points
Red Arrows Volvo B9TL Wright Eclipse Gemini 1 Point and Spare B7 5 Points
DAF SB120 Wright Cadet – 4 Points
603-606 Alexander Mini Pointer Dart (MPD) – 4 Points

Hexham:
3942 ‘’Metroradio’’ – 5 Points
TEN Volvo B9TL Wright Eclipse Gemini – 1 Point

Saltmeadows:
Dual Door Renowns – 5 Points
QuayLink Optare Versa – 1 Point
NexusBus Optare Solo SR – 7 Points

Peterlee:
WearTees Xpress, PVR 3: Mercedes Citaro – 5 Points

Crook:
Pronto B7TL Plaxton President – 3 Points

Other liveries:
Northern Volvo B10BLE – 5 Points
Northern Solar – 1 Point
Northern Ex-London President/Lolyne/Vyking – 1 Point
Work eat play Lolyne – 5 Points
Northern Native President (NK-UC*) – 5 Points
MPD’s excluding 603-604 – 3 Points
Versa/B9TL – 3 Points
Cadet - 2 Points
Merit - 5 Points
Yellow Bus Olympian – 12 Points

All final details will be published later on, possibly tonight. We don't have a date set yet, but we're aiming for the 4th August 2014. The game can only be played within the Tyne & Wear region - any points calculated from out of that border will not be counted. As a lot of the vehicles and routes above can be rode on within Tyne & Wear, I'll leave them there and not change any.

The winner will be given an All Zone Buzzfare from me, or any other alternative along the same lines if they cannot, for whatever reason, use one.

Any questions about the challenge - drop them here

Cheers,
Marcus Smile
I feel I'm ruining the game already but...

(20 Jul 2014, 5:28 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]The final promotional "The Key" liveried vehicle in the fleet, Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown 4923 (X923 WGR), has now arrived at Saltmeadows Road for repaint into corporate livery.

Following on from the withdrawal of SPDs 8232 and 8236 and Volvo B10BLE 4848, this means that this promotional livery is now non-existent.
(20 Jul 2014, 5:29 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]I feel I'm ruining the game already but...

Damn! I'll delete 4923 off the list.
I wont be able to do all of tham as I have an U16 POP card but I could do all but 8293 & 5210 but I would rely on odd workings.
(20 Jul 2014, 5:32 pm)danpick wrote [ -> ]I wont be able to do all of tham as I have an U16 POP card but I could do all but 8293 & 5210 but I would rely on odd workings.

You don't have to do all of them, just as long as you total a decent amount of points at the end you should stand a chance at winning.

Chances are, judging by recent workings, you could get 5210 on the X84/X85 or 10.
(20 Jul 2014, 5:32 pm)danpick wrote [ -> ]I wont be able to do all of tham as I have an U16 POP card but I could do all but 8293 & 5210 but I would rely on odd workings.

You don't need to do 5210/8293 - surely you could find some other methods.
Eg a Lime Renown?

Who is up for it?
(20 Jul 2014, 5:34 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]You don't need to do 5210/8293 - surely you could find some other methods.
Eg a Lime Renown?

Who is up for it?

I'm definitely in - but seeing as you and I are organizing it - I think it's only fair that, even if we do end up technically winning, we give the prize to the next best. Smile

Given the above, a suggestion to both Tom and Marcus would be that this game could only be held within Tyne & Wear only - where the majority of our members actually come from?

Whilst it makes no difference to me (as I probably will be getting a Get Around day ticket), it would seem a little unfair if I could go for one of the buses with a really high score - a vehicle which someone who is limited to a Tyne & Wear based ticket could not get to.

And given what I've just said, it perhaps would be better to have a starting point. The Metrocentre would be ideal as it's big enough to allow for anonymity. It also helps, given that someone living along the "TEN" route would have to wait for a TEN prior to getting somewhere with a lot of buses - whereas say, someone living in Gateshead, has an advantage of being able to access high frequency services immediately.
(20 Jul 2014, 5:37 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Given the above, a suggestion to both Tom and Marcus would be that this game could only be held within Tyne & Wear only - where the majority of our members actually come from?

Whilst it makes no difference to me (as I probably will be getting a Get Around day ticket), it would seem a little unfair if I could go for one of the buses with a really high score - a vehicle which someone who is limited to a Tyne & Wear based ticket could not get to.

And given what I've just said, it perhaps would be better to have a starting point. The Metrocentre would be ideal as it's big enough to allow for anonymity.

I agree with that, Dan. I'm not really good with borders, but Chester isn't in Tyne & Wear is it? In that case - I think the Metrocentre is a good starting point as there's a variety of random links there to various places.

I'll edit the opening post accordingly Wink
(20 Jul 2014, 5:39 pm)Marcus wrote [ -> ]I agree with that, Dan. I'm not really good with borders, but Chester isn't in Tyne & Wear is it? In that case - I think the Metrocentre is a good starting point as there's a variety of random links there to various places.

Chester is classed as County Durham, aye.

[Image: Tyne_and_Wear_County.png]

Not sure why it's shown in the map above, but the rest seems to be fine.
(20 Jul 2014, 5:40 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Chester is classed as County Durham, aye.

Yeah, thought so.

So, this rules out the following as destinations;

Chester-Le-Street
Stanley and Consett
Durham
Hexham

Any more?
(20 Jul 2014, 5:34 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]You don't need to do 5210/8293 - surely you could find some other methods.
Eg a Lime Renown?

Who is up for it?

I will do it as its just travelling back and forth between places.
(20 Jul 2014, 5:45 pm)Marcus wrote [ -> ]Yeah, thought so.

So, this rules out the following as destinations;

Chester-Le-Street
Stanley and Consett
Durham
Hexham

Any more?

Bishop Auckland
Peterlee
Hartlepool
Middlesbrough/Stockton
Ashington

They'd be the main 'no go' areas.
(20 Jul 2014, 5:47 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Bishop Auckland
Peterlee
Hartlepool
Middlesbrough/Stockton
Ashington

They'd be the main 'no go' areas.
Another suggestion...

If the game was to be limited to Tyne & Wear only, then I'd suggest removing "East Durham", "Lambton Worm", "Tynedale Links", "Tynedalexpress" and "Venture" from the list of vehicles which gain points.

The others which are debatable are "Pronto", "Tyne Tees Xpress" and "Wear Tees Xpress":
- On the "Pronto", you could do a Newcastle - Gateshead leg.
- On the "Tyne Tees Xpress", you could do a Newcastle - Heworth leg.
- On the "Wear Tees Xpress", you could do a Sunderland - Grangetown leg.

I've got a suggestion for the scoring system too, but I'll have to draft something up first for that.
(20 Jul 2014, 5:56 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Another suggestion...

If the game was to be limited to Tyne & Wear only, then I'd suggest removing "East Durham", "Lambton Worm", "Tynedale Links", "Tynedalexpress" and "Venture" from the list of vehicles which gain points.

The others which are debatable are "Pronto", "Tyne Tees Xpress" and "Wear Tees Xpress":
- On the "Pronto", you could do a Newcastle - Gateshead leg.
- On the "Tyne Tees Xpress", you could do a Newcastle - Heworth leg.
- On the "Wear Tees Xpress", you could do a Sunderland - Grangetown leg.

I've got a suggestion for the scoring system too, but I'll have to draft something up first for that.

Done those
(20 Jul 2014, 5:59 pm)Marcus wrote [ -> ]Done those

The OK Way too.
(20 Jul 2014, 6:00 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]The OK Way too.

Done that, too Wink
Isnt East Durham do able in sunderland.
(20 Jul 2014, 5:40 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Chester is classed as County Durham, aye.

It appears that the map might be based upon the existence of former UDC's which were present when Tyne & Wear initially formed back in 1974.
Pages: 1 2 3 4