North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2014
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(10 Jan 2014, 6:00 pm)Bazza Houston wrote [ -> ]they do but i was also thinking of a pun the sound of 4906 sounded like a cow but at least it was mooving but the roar came from the engine

That isn't a "Pun" Bazza, it's just poor English
(10 Jan 2014, 6:08 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote [ -> ]That isn't a "Pun" Bazza, it's just poor English

Still working on them today did ya see Nexus Bus Solo on 27X however it did have the wrong route number on
Prince Bishops to be fitted with SCRT to reduce emissions. No new doubles deckers for the Prince Bishops then Big Grin

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/10...s/?ref=rss
I live on 27 route myself but i do wish gateshead depot would trial them. I too like omnicity because I ridden on them, on 309 and 1.
The mercs have only been on the 27 5 minutes, is it not a potential waste of money painting up yet more buses
(10 Jan 2014, 2:20 pm)andreos1 wrote [ -> ]A bus which serves their needs, going to Heworth, Gateshead Interchange etc or a bus which bypasses popular areas and skirts Newcastle inc places where queues of people are standing for a 27 or the first bus back to Hebburn?

There was a lot of work went into the 27X with the local folk in Hebburn, so it goes where they wanted it to go & it needed to work within the constraints of the funding as it wasn't expected to be commercial, but it isn't carrying what was anticipated which is disappointing. Would your QCS world double the cost, lower the fares and probably still not pull in a better rate of return and leave the taxpayers of Tyne & Wear footing the bill ?
Looking at the 29 timetable it's gonna need 8 buses for its PVR

X3 - not sure
29 - 8 PVR
38/238 - 3 PVR?
39 - 5 PVR
X35/X36 - 11 PVR
99 - 2 PVR

Have i worked it out right? (this is just for Deptford)
(10 Jan 2014, 8:06 pm)busman101 wrote [ -> ]There was a lot of work went into the 27X with the local folk in Hebburn, so it goes where they wanted it to go & it needed to work within the constraints of the funding as it wasn't expected to be commercial, but it isn't carrying what was anticipated which is disappointing. Would your QCS world double the cost, lower the fares and probably still not pull in a better rate of return and leave the taxpayers of Tyne & Wear footing the bill ?

Im sure there was, but there's nowt as queer as folk who say one thing and do another.
To rely on their say so and not have a back up plan in wondering what passengers a few mile down the road want, the fact Tesco on Tyne was about to open or not having it pick up at the same points in Newcastle as the 27 is a funny one too.

By the time Betty and Fred have got off the 27x, had a wander around the town, popped into the Grainger Market for their Sunday Chicken, his knee will have gone and her bad ankles will be playing up.
They will cross over the road and get the 27, before changing onto an 88 or something after a cup of tea in Morrisons.

Angela will have just finished a 12 hour shift at the hospital and is running late for the kids, rather than run the risk of missing the 27x, she nips down for a 27, knowing there will be one soon.

If it is being funded, surely the aim is to make it work, get rid of the shackles of Nexus and make it a commercial success?
Why are they still running the X3
(10 Jan 2014, 8:21 pm)speedwheels22 wrote [ -> ]Why are they still running the X3

No idea, its a stupid idea, to me it is, the money and buses could of being used else where (more mainly to get rid the older buses), i'm still working out where its gonna turn, unless its going to use the roundabout at St Mary's?
(10 Jan 2014, 8:20 pm)andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Im sure there was, but there's nowt as queer as folk who say one thing and do another.
To rely on their say so and not have a back up plan in wondering what passengers a few mile down the road want, the fact Tesco on Tyne was about to open or not having it pick up at the same points in Newcastle as the 27 is a funny one too.

By the time Betty and Fred have got off the 27x, had a wander around the town, popped into the Grainger Market for their Sunday Chicken, his knee will have gone and her bad ankles will be playing up.
They will cross over the road and get the 27, before changing onto an 88 or something after a cup of tea in Morrisons.

Angela will have just finished a 12 hour shift at the hospital and is running late for the kids, rather than run the risk of missing the 27x, she nips down for a 27, knowing there will be one soon.

If it is being funded, surely the aim is to make it work, get rid of the shackles of Nexus and make it a commercial success?

And if it works I'm sure GNE would take it on commercially - but if there had of been a large demand in the first place I don't think GNE would have removed the 27A (which was a number of years ago now)

But as you've just suggested in this hypothetical example - they could use the 27 and 88 to get home instead of the 27X, not that difficult a journey really. Does this not prove the 27X isn't really necessary? It was put on because people from these areas "were isolated" and "couldn't get to newcastle" but actually they can travel by using the 27 and 88, they just prefer a direct bus. There are plenty of people who don't have a direct bus to Newcastle but Nexus haven't put on a direct service for them - why are two streets in Hebburn so special?
(10 Jan 2014, 8:20 pm)andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Im sure there was, but there's nowt as queer as folk who say one thing and do another.

An interesting point that as the consultation exercise pretty much followed what would happen under a QCS - so the people have said what they wanted and there's enough money for 1 bus & they want an hourly bus service. They had the option of less frequent and serving more places, but this is what they chose, but there where other plans. Doing anything different will add a lot more cost in - would you take the risk with more public money and still probably not generate that much more trade ?

The Tesco at Gateshead isn't exactly very busy at the best of times, so not convinced that would generate much more trade for the 27X.

It would have been great if it had worked and carried enough people, but it suggests the usage from that part of Hebburn unfortunately was low which is why the 27a came off.
In response to Andreos on Odd rare workings - Copied here for relevance!

(10 Jan 2014, 9:50 pm)Venturego wrote [ -> ]Sorry!! - Wrong response! - Branding, if adopted should be applied correctly as per Marketing Department instructions. Dilution of Brand in any market results in a negative effect on the Company & Brand. Brands should reflect Core Values, Image, Personality but most importantly Unique Selling Proposition. - How is that achieved by Garages sending out any available bus regardless of application?! - Weak Management since Huntley's demise?! Let Go North East (NORTHERN) get back to Core Values. Adopt a more Corporate Branding with identifiable "Sub-Brands" but linked by either Typeface or positioning to the "Northern" brand - Reduce number of brands!!, - Have a meaningful EXPRESS brand - If we continue with current miss-managed & meaningless disjointed brand approach we may as well move to a Nexus (L7) system where customer will become the focus of public service transport and adopt effective marketing to promote a truly service orientated transport system in thr region![/b]
Refer to Odd Workings tab to see thread - Can't copy full history my comments refer to!
(10 Jan 2014, 8:21 pm)speedwheels22 wrote [ -> ]Why are they still running the X3

Am I the only person who doesn't work for Go North East that actually thinks the new X3 isn't that bad.

I don't see why there is such negativity surrounding the timetable and route as from what I can ascertain its only really there to provide people from East and West Boldon with a direct link to Newcastle. GNE have obviously looked at travel patterns and acted accordingly and who is to say that these will be not be viable. Just because there is a small number of journeys per day does not mean its pointless. You don't get this criticism with the other services like the X22 or 307.
can they not Extend the X3 to Terminate at metrocentre be new links fr people going to metrocenre shopping centre aw maybe divert it threw marsden and the nook whitless to boldon every hour just an idea
I've always thought the X3 should run Sunderland Fulwell Grange Seaburn Whitburn Cleadon and back onto existing route at East Boldon, thus giving Whitburn and Cleadon a direct service to Newcastle. Thus it could replace 558 between Seaburn and Boldon Colliery more or less.
6091 has now entered service.
Still Solars kicking about today, I have the joy and wonder that is 5201.
(11 Jan 2014, 12:39 am)speedwheels22 wrote [ -> ]can they not Extend the X3 to Terminate at metrocentre be new links fr people going to metrocenre shopping centre aw maybe divert it threw marsden and the nook whitless to boldon every hour just an idea

There's already a direct link between Sunderland and the Metro Centre - Northern Rail run it.
(11 Jan 2014, 7:46 am)Dan wrote [ -> ]6091 has now entered service.
Still Solars kicking about today, I have the joy and wonder that is 5201.

Think that's about 6 now?

Any more news on the Cobalt B9's.. have they all arrived?