North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2014
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
Just thought I'd mention I was on a new Cobalt Clipper - first one I've been on with the next stop annoucements working - and what a difference! They sound so much more professional than the ones on the likes of the Citylink58. They don't shout for a start, much more subtle but still hear-able. The actual voice isn't overly-Geordie (if at all?) or overly-enthusiastic like the ones on the Citylinks.

To summarise, the Cobalt ones don't sound amatuerish like the Citylink's.

Good move GNE. Smile
(03 Mar 2014, 8:49 pm)ne14ne1 wrote [ -> ]Just thought I'd mention I was on a new Cobalt Clipper - first one I've been on with the next stop annoucements working - and what a difference! They sound so much more professional than the ones on the likes of the Citylink58. They don't shout for a start, much more subtle but still hear-able. The actual voice isn't overly-Geordie (if at all?) or overly-enthusiastic like the ones on the Citylinks.

To summarise, the Cobalt ones don't sound amatuerish like the Citylink's.

Good move GNE. Smile

Yet to hear them myself, but sound like a massive improvement. Hopefully they don't go off in a pointless conversation with each other?
Could be worse. It could be like the Metro ones that the other week decided to announce the stations in any order it fancied.

I got on a Fawdon.
Announcements did the stations in this order.
Regent Centre
Kingston Park
West Jesmond
Regent Centre
Fawdon
South Gosforth
West Jesmond
Ilford Road
Wansbeck Road

Was back to normal by the time it got to Jesmond.
Next stop announcements... Eugh

Those 2 chav Metro presenters on the Angel are not pleasant.

Saying that every Angel I've been on has been one stop ahead lately or been muted
(03 Mar 2014, 2:22 pm)eezypeazy wrote [ -> ]Got to be at least 10 metres long:

https://www.gov.uk/become-lorry-bus-driv...iving-test

One of the driver training coaches is also GNE's last manual transmission bus - a 'plus' for those who pass their test in it!

7060 was the last manual transmission coach, but has been withdrawn, so all coaches in Driving School are now automatic.
(03 Mar 2014, 11:07 pm)GMitchelhill wrote [ -> ]Could be worse. It could be like the Metro ones that the other week decided to announce the stations in any order it fancied.

I got on a Fawdon.
Regent Centre
Kingston Park
West Jesmond
Regent Centre
Fawdon
South Gosforth
West Jesmond
Ilford Road
Wansbeck Road

Had this problem myself once. Sunday night and the announcements were all over the joint. I had my earphones in and was looking at the screen to help me when to get off... I got off at the wrong station because Stadium of Light was announced about four stops early.
(03 Mar 2014, 11:07 pm)GMitchelhill wrote [ -> ]Could be worse. It could be like the Metro ones that the other week decided to announce the stations in any order it fancied.

I got on a Fawdon.
Regent Centre
Kingston Park
West Jesmond
Regent Centre
Fawdon
South Gosforth
West Jesmond
Ilford Road
Wansbeck Road

That happened to me the other day to it was saying i was in Heworth when i was just passing St Peters in Sunderland haha
(04 Mar 2014, 6:39 am)Dan wrote [ -> ]Had this problem myself once. Sunday night and the announcements were all over the joint. I had my earphones in and was looking at the screen to help me when to get off... I got off at the wrong station because Stadium of Light was announced about four stops early.

That happened to the old man at Christmas on a 21 coming from Newcastle.
The stop before The Cannon in Low Fell is a canny hike from The Cannon in cold, rainy weather with bags of shopping...
(04 Mar 2014, 2:17 am)park5354 wrote [ -> ]7060 was the last manual transmission coach, but has been withdrawn, so all coaches in Driving School are now automatic.

No it wasn't. 7076 (YSU876) is a manual transmission coach. I used to drive it to Plymouth, Paignton, Weymouth and North Wales regularly.
(04 Mar 2014, 8:06 am)a718abb wrote [ -> ]No it wasn't. 7076 (YSU876) is a manual transmission coach. I used to drive it to Plymouth, Paignton, Weymouth and North Wales regularly.

Was 7060 not the one with two sets of pedals or something along those lines?
I've noticed on the red arrows, the Easington Lane bound services announce that the next stop is Shiney row prior to it reaching the galleries stop. Understand it's probably because of the need for the bus to go back on itself, but trigger point perhaps needs moving.
Noticed this morning on the 56 that the stop annoncement screen uses windows xp, noticed when the driver started the bus up.
(04 Mar 2014, 8:15 am)Dan wrote [ -> ]Was 7060 not the one with two sets of pedals or something along those lines?

Can't help you there I'm afraid
Washington cadet NA52 BVF has suffered an engine fire at Biddick Village centre this morning. I saw 2 fire engines on the scene but no ambulances, so it looks as if no one has been hurt, thank God. fLooks like it is only the rear of the vehicle which has suffered damage. Destination screen, rear window, panels etc are burned to a crisp. As much as these buses look nice and are comfortable etc, they either need new engines or withdrawn for good. I always seem to hear drivers talking about problems with them and warning lights coming on etc.
(04 Mar 2014, 10:53 am)Washingtonian wrote [ -> ]Washington cadet NA52 BVF has suffered an engine fire at Biddick Village centre this morning. I saw 2 fire engines on the scene but no ambulances, so it looks as if no one has been hurt, thank God. fLooks like it is only the rear of the vehicle which has suffered damage. Destination screen, rear window, panels etc are burned to a crisp. As much as these buses look nice and are comfortable etc, they either need new engines or withdrawn for good. I always seem to hear drivers talking about problems with them and warning lights coming on etc.

I was on that last year and the dashboard looked like a Christmas tree.

Not sure if it was connected, but whichever Cadets were on the M2/M3 this morning weren't running to their scheduled timetable.
Saw one heading up towards Vigo Bridge from Birtley a few mins after seeing one head into Vigo from Birtley.
The cadgets r getting worse now gne need to take them of the road I don't feel safe on them any more
5291 was on road test earlier in the Gateshead area heading to Saltmeadows. Didn't see front of vehicle to see if there was anything wrong in that respect, but everything looked fine from the back.
5206 has managed to take the 1540 X36 from Newcastle as far as Gateshead before expiring on the stand.
My main objective was to catch up on #0800repairwatch but there was nowt happening.

Whilst stuck in traffic, I noticed that the fire damaged Solar and leaky Omni were parked up in Chester and haven't looked as though they have moved anywhere recently.
(04 Mar 2014, 2:17 am)park5354 wrote [ -> ]7060 was the last manual transmission coach, but has been withdrawn, so all coaches in Driving School are now automatic.

The demise of manual gearboxes in driving school vehicles is causing major problems for local coach operators - almost all coaches are manual. The practice used to be that you took your test on a manual with someone like GNE, worked the minimum so you had nothing to repay, then defected to the easier and generally more comfortable life of driving coaches. Now there are no manual licences coming through, small coach operators are struggling for drivers.
To clear earlier confusion up in regards to 5256's arrival at Chester-le-Street - it arrived this afternoon and has not been out in service yet. Adam, you must have seen another vehicle on the 50 - too busy looking at the blonde over the bus, I think! Andreos, this may have been the OmniCity you noticed in the depot opposed to a one we've noticed having troubles lately.

I should get an opportunity to update fleet lists and news this evening to reflect this.
(04 Mar 2014, 5:58 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]To clear earlier confusion up in regards to 5256's arrival at Chester-le-Street - it arrived this afternoon and has not been out in service yet. Adam, you must have seen another vehicle on the 50 - too busy looking at the blonde over the bus, I think! Andreos, this may have been the OmniCity you noticed in the depot opposed to a one we've noticed having troubles lately.

I should get an opportunity to update fleet lists and news this evening to reflect this.

I saw an unidentififable OmniCity on a test run with an engineer at the wheel just about an hour ago, and I assume seeing as 5259 is too ill to move and the rest are out in service that it could have been 5256.
(04 Mar 2014, 11:38 am)speedwheels22 wrote [ -> ]The cadgets r getting worse now gne need to take them of the road I don't feel safe on them any more

Well then don't use them if you feel like you're risking your life? There's been one fire, when was the most recent one before today's?
Sunderland echo has a video of the cadet which caught fire earlier...

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/video...-1-6477124
(04 Mar 2014, 6:22 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]Sunderland echo has a video of the cadet which caught fire earlier...

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/video...-1-6477124

Somehow I do not think it will be on the road tomorrow Tongue

CatsFast101

(04 Mar 2014, 5:58 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]To clear earlier confusion up in regards to 5256's arrival at Chester-le-Street - it arrived this afternoon and has not been out in service yet. Adam, you must have seen another vehicle on the 50 - too busy looking at the blonde over the bus, I think! Andreos, this may have been the OmniCity you noticed in the depot opposed to a one we've noticed having troubles lately.

Omnicity appeared on 265's yesterday I'm told. Not sure which one, obviously a Chester plain blue one.
Looks to be a Write Off, not much point in spending money on repairing it if it's to be withdrawn come the end of 2014, As we know Diagtest Ltd have been extensive work on the Electrics etc on the Washington Batch, Not pointing fingers here, but they could of rewired something wrong when repairing the Vehicle, which has resulted in a Engine Fire, Just listing a Possibility.

I think i'll avoid sitting at the Rear of a Cadet in Future and sit near the Front, otherwise i'll get the 2C/50 in future, don't fancy being burnt to a Crisp just Yet. Is there any chance GNE could source some Midibuses Temporarily like they did for Q1/Q2 before the Versas Arrived, to then Withdraw the Cadets earlier than Anticipated i.e. from Ensign.

As for 5256, I do apologize as it must of been a Different Omnicity, Probs 5258/9 and I simply misread the Fleet Number or Something, but I could of sworn it was 5256 though, Note to Andreos1 the Blondy had the Day Off Today so wouldn't of seen her anyway.
(04 Mar 2014, 6:29 pm)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]Somehow I do not think it will be on the road tomorrow Tongue

Might be withdrawn and replaced by a WTX renown?
(04 Mar 2014, 6:47 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote [ -> ]Looks to be a Write Off, not much point in spending money on repairing it if it's to be withdrawn come the end of 2014, As we know Diagtest Ltd have been extensive work on the Electrics etc on the Washington Batch, Not pointing fingers here, but they could of rewired something wrong when repairing the Vehicle, which has resulted in a Engine Fire, Just listing a Possibility.

I think i'll avoid sitting at the Rear of a Cadet in Future and sit near the Front, otherwise i'll get the 2C/50 in future, don't fancy being burnt to a Crisp just Yet. Is there any chance GNE could source some Midibuses Temporarily like they did for Q1/Q2 before the Versas Arrived, to then Withdraw the Cadets earlier than Anticipated i.e. from Ensign.

As for 5256, I do apologize as it must of been a Different Omnicity, Probs 5258/9 and I simply misread the Fleet Number or Something, but I could of sworn it was 5256 though, Note to Andreos1 the Blondy had the Day Off Today so wouldn't of seen her anyway.

Why would they withdraw them just because one has caught fire? I supose all the scania's should be withdrawn too then just because 4931 caught fire on boxing day?
(04 Mar 2014, 7:40 pm)dans_bus_photos wrote [ -> ]Why would they withdraw them just because one has caught fire? I supose all the scania's should be withdrawn too then just because 4931 caught fire on boxing day?

I get where he's coming from though... The Cadets are off the road more than they're on the road. There are certainly more fuel efficient vehicles out on the market now and it could be said that the Cadets are a drain on resources.
The same can't really be said about the Solars.

Doubt anything like that will happen, mind. The cost of sourcing a batch of x amount of midi vehicles until next year will amount to a larger cost than that of the maintenance and running costs of the Cadet vehicles.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27