North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2016
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35
Had the absolute displeasure of speaking with one of GNE customer care advisors today.

Not for the first time, utterly appalled at the attitude. Can see why the Facebook is so hopeless.

No idea who runs the customer service operation but I'd love their email. It's an awful awful service they provide. A driver would be disciplined for the lack of care they give
(13 Aug 2016, 8:13 pm)Ambassador wrote [ -> ]Had the absolute displeasure of speaking with one of GNE customer care advisors today.

Not for the first time, utterly appalled at the attitude. Can see why the Facebook is so hopeless.

No idea who runs the customer service operation but I'd love their email. It's an awful awful service they provide. A driver would be disciplined for the lack of care they give

Had to speak to one not so long ago. Would've been easier discussing my ticket issue with a brick wall
(12 Aug 2016, 11:07 pm)Venturego wrote [ -> ]Tickets may just be far too complex for drivers and customers at large. I have traveled  through many European metropolitan areas, where in the main multi modal tickets are issued throughout the area/or a zonal fare scheme is imposed, albeit across all modes of transport within the area.
Contact less payment bank cards are now becoming more accepted with maximum daily fare caps guaranteed,
Example: From just outside Nexus area (e.g. Burnopfield) it's impossible to buy an affordable fare for Newcastle Airport - Actually is more expensive than a taxi ! - as GNE don't serve the Airport, although illustrated on Buzz fare zone map. Transfare expensive for return journey.

Fares should be simple to understand not only for regular users, but also for occasional travellers and visitors to the region.

I would also go further and propose a strong regional Corporate Branding with discreet sub-branding for key routes, only if necessary to be more  customers friendly.

A regional brand/logo across all modes of transport accepting multi-modal tickets would also be helpful to customers visiting the area (n.b. Geneva, Berlin, London, Paris etc...) whether it be Nexus, NECA, LA7 or something New?

Should this not be an opportunity for GNE and other operators to exploit?

Can I suggest using ex Nat Express coaches for truly express services from Teeside to Newcastle, then onward journey  to Airport, while connecting with local services in Newcastle with provision to use onward tickets to the Airport. Could be at slight premium / with luggage?

Coaches were a common use in 70's for premium express services with limited stops connecting with local services point of connection  e.g. Newcastle to / from Teesside (X1 Northern/United joint service), Consett to/from Sunderland (X6 Northern / sometimes SDO - Sunderland District Omnibus), Lanchester/ Greencroft to Ashington/Newbiggin (X30 Northern /United joint service)
Also seasonal Express Coach services to Scarborough via Whitby.

Thoughts?!

The GNE 353 serves Newcastle Airport although only using GNE Burnopfield-Newcastle Airport would be a pain
I went on the new Q3 on a full loop today (finally) and I have to say that the extension WILL NOT LAST, the bus was silent St Peters Basin-Wallsend. Another problem is the route sending it down Eastfiled Avenue is a bit barmy. I had 8313, I dread to think what Eastfield on 5385/5387/5388 would be like!
(13 Aug 2016, 9:03 pm)NK53 TKT wrote [ -> ]I went on the new Q3 on a full loop today (finally) and I have to say that the extension WILL NOT LAST, the bus was silent St Peters Basin-Wallsend. Another problem is the route sending it down Eastfiled Avenue is a bit barmy. I had 8313, I dread to think what Eastfield on 5385/5387/5388 would be like!

Was on 5388 the other day from Newcastle to Wallsend and the bus couldn't get down. Had to reverse and let somebody move his car
(13 Aug 2016, 9:03 pm)NK53 TKT wrote [ -> ]I went on the new Q3 on a full loop today (finally) and I have to say that the extension WILL NOT LAST, the bus was silent St Peters Basin-Wallsend. Another problem is the route sending it down Eastfiled Avenue is a bit barmy. I had 8313, I dread to think what Eastfield on 5385/5387/5388 would be like!

I think it will last, I've seen massive improvements the last few days now people know about it. Tried it out today for the first time, and a few people got on in Wallsend (mainly got off around Walker) then a few people along Westbourne Avenue and then Walker Road. To be fair I was a bit early judging it. Quite a few fare paying passengers throughout the journey and it seemed people were surprised at how cheap it was compared to Stagecoach!

It's the 11 I don't think will last. Shocking fares too, 90p more than the 1 for the same journey! Howdon to Newcastle is £3.30 on the 11, yet £2.40 on the 1. No idea how the fares can be so different. People got off because of that fare when I was on today. Only 2 people going past Wallsend to Newcastle.
(13 Aug 2016, 9:44 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]I think it will last, I've seen massive improvements the last few days now people know about it. Tried it out today for the first time, and a few people got on in Wallsend (mainly got off around Walker) then a few people along Westbourne Avenue and then Walker Road. To be fair I was a bit early judging it. Quite a few fare paying passengers throughout the journey and it seemed people were surprised at how cheap it was compared to Stagecoach!

It's the 11 I don't think will last. Shocking fares too, 90p more than the 1 for the same journey! Howdon to Newcastle is £3.30 on the 11, yet £2.40 on the 1. No idea how the fares can be so different. People got off because of that fare when I was on today. Only 2 people going past Wallsend to Newcastle.

I would like to see it last, it is just a question of profitability though and I do think that people will use it and may even rival Stagecoach. Personally to make it easier for passengers I would extend the Newcastle/Metrocentre tickets to Wallsend because particularly with weekly tickets I could see it being a popular measure
(13 Aug 2016, 10:00 pm)NK53 TKT wrote [ -> ]I would like to see it last, it is just a question of profitability though and I do think that people will use it and may even rival Stagecoach. Personally to make it easier for passengers I would extend the Newcastle/Metrocentre tickets to Wallsend because particularly with weekly tickets I could see it being a popular measure

Not a bad idea! Either that or extend the north tyne tickets to Metrocentre/Gateshead as they are vaild on the Newcastle-Wallsend section
(13 Aug 2016, 8:35 pm)Brian13 wrote [ -> ]Had to speak to one not so long ago. Would've been easier discussing my ticket issue with a brick wall

I rang up a few weeks ago regarding a spillage at the back of 6011 which had been left to become mouldy, and it stunk.

I rang the customer services, but the bloke for some reason couldn't seem to understand that the bus needed cleaning internally, and everything I said was just responded too with "yeah".

He evidently couldn't care less, and the bus still has the same sh*t at the back of it.
(13 Aug 2016, 9:44 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]I think it will last, I've seen massive improvements the last few days now people know about it. Tried it out today for the first time, and a few people got on in Wallsend (mainly got off around Walker) then a few people along Westbourne Avenue and then Walker Road. To be fair I was a bit early judging it. Quite a few fare paying passengers throughout the journey and it seemed people were surprised at how cheap it was compared to Stagecoach!

Maybe the driver didn't have his or her fare stage programmed correctly (either human or technical error). Was it definitely the same stop? Only think I can think off is that GNE are putting a bit of a levy on top with it being a slightly quick service than the 1. Arriva used to do that with a now defunct well known express service (R.I.P) on the Coast Road with some of the fares from Whitley Bay / Preston Grange areas being more expensive than the usual regular stopping service.
(13 Aug 2016, 10:07 pm)L469 YVK wrote [ -> ]Maybe the driver didn't have his or her fare stage programmed correctly (either human or technical error). Was it definitely the same stop? Only think I can think off is that GNE are putting a bit of a levy on top with it being a slightly quick service than the 1. Arriva used to do that with a now defunct well known express service (R.I.P) on the Coast Road with some of the fares from Whitley Bay / Preston Grange areas being more expensive than the usual regular stopping service.

I think so, I got on and it said Tynemouth Road/Howdon Lane but no idea what it normally says as I normally get on at Churchill Street. But you can use the £2.40 single on the 1 up to Ridley Avenue which is further than Howdon Lane.
(13 Aug 2016, 10:13 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]I think so, I got on and it said Tynemouth Road/Howdon Lane but no idea what it normally says as I normally get on at Churchill Street. But you can use the £2.40 single on the 1 up to Ridley Avenue which is further than Howdon Lane.

Might well be with the area (barring the good old 900 a.k.a the Metro) being a monopoly to an extent. As well as that, if the Metro is ever off and a replacement bus is sourced, some people might just use the 11 for the sake of convenience rather than use the replacement service. That alone would be a canny earner for GNE.

I would say you might want to contact GNE and clarify the fare stages though.
(13 Aug 2016, 10:17 pm)L469 YVK wrote [ -> ]Might well be with the area (barring the good old 900 a.k.a the Metro) being a monopoly to an extent. As well as that, if the Metro is ever off and a replacement bus is sourced, some people might just use the 11 for the sake of convenience rather than use the replacement service. That alone would be a canny earner for GNE.

I would say you might want to contact GNE and clarify the fare stages though.

To be honest it doesn't really effect me as I don't buy adult fares I just thought it was strange and it noticed the person got off when he was quoted £3.30.

I might do though. For the area being a monopoly the fares are pretty cheap compared to areas like Stanley and Consett!
(13 Aug 2016, 10:06 pm)LeeCalder wrote [ -> ]I rang up a few weeks ago regarding a spillage at the back of 6011 which had been left to become mouldy, and it stunk.

I rang the customer services, but the bloke for some reason couldn't seem to understand that the bus needed cleaning internally, and everything I said was just responded too with "yeah".

He evidently couldn't care less, and the bus still has the same sh*t at the back of it.

They need Stacey Dooley and some random petulant kids on the job.
(13 Aug 2016, 10:06 pm)LeeCalder wrote [ -> ]I rang up a few weeks ago regarding a spillage at the back of 6011 which had been left to become mouldy, and it stunk.

They still seem to lack the mentality of being a service organisation. I always feel a total hindrance or taken for granted when I call them. 

As I've noted  Facebook has stepped right back. I cringe at some of the responses. Doesn't put GNE in a great light at all. Would love to send my feedback on (from a professional point of view at least) but no idea where to
(13 Aug 2016, 11:44 pm)Ambassador wrote [ -> ]They still seem to lack the mentality of being a service organisation. I always feel a total hindrance or taken for granted when I call them. 

As I've noted  Facebook has stepped right back. I cringe at some of the responses. Doesn't put GNE in a great light at all. Would love to send my feedback on (from a professional point of view at least) but no idea where to

Managing Director?
(13 Aug 2016, 10:25 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]I might do though. For the area being a monopoly the fares are pretty cheap compared to areas like Stanley and Consett

Tell me about it!
4.80 singles from Newcastle to either.
£3.30 returns from Lobley Hill to Newcastle, it ain't cheap on any measure.
(12 Aug 2016, 1:27 pm)R852 PRG wrote [ -> ]To be completely honest, it'll have likely have been confusion more than anything. Drivers generally expect to see a bus ticket rather than a Metro ticket if you're showing a previously bought ticket to travel. I've had it before on Northern Rail between Newcastle and Sunderland, where the guard has been a bit funny about it because it was an Explorer purchased on an Arriva bus. 

Confusion?! 

If I got refused on a bus because my multi-operator ticket was printed on another operator's ticket stock I'd ask them what would does their multi-operator ticket look like...

Surely, they'd know what CAT, Explorer, Rover are..........and what they're valid on. 

And with GNE, would a quick call through to Control do much harm asking if it's valid or not? Instead, the driver threatened the passenger with refusal of boarding the vehicle the next time he sees them...
GX03 SVC wrote [ -> ]And with GNE, would a quick call through to Control do much harm asking if it's valid or not? Instead, the driver threatened the passenger with refusal of boarding the vehicle the next time he sees them...

Timings probably have something to do with this. Calling control and depots to work out what to accept and not accept is a time consuming process - maybe providing drivers with a flyer of what to accept and not to accept depending on the route would be helpful.
When my dad worked for GNE, he had a sticker (I think other drivers would have had this too) that he stuck on a file which listed most (if not all) of the different ticket types.

He still has the file with the sticker on (albeit a bit worn) but it would be good if they could have something similar now (if they don't already):
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35