North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2016
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35
Cobalt clipper

I reckon that inter working at Haymaket could be stopped, as changeovers now take place at New York (309) and Verne Road (310), as canteen at North Shields is now closed.
310 could then be dropped from Coabalt Clipper, allowing 3 B9s to go to Riverside/Hexham for TEN, plus 2 red spares.
Ex Brighton deckers could go on 310, or even Toonlink omnicities.
(11 Aug 2016, 11:41 am)park5354 wrote [ -> ]Cobalt clipper

I reckon that inter working at Haymaket could be stopped, as changeovers now take place at New York (309) and Verne Road (310), as canteen at North Shields is now closed.
310 could then be dropped from Coabalt Clipper, allowing 3 B9s to go to Riverside/Hexham for TEN, plus 2 red spares.
Ex Brighton deckers could go on 310, or even Toonlink omnicities.
310 is often packed at times so would be a large customer dissatisfaction in my opinion by degrading features.
(11 Aug 2016, 9:47 am)Michael wrote [ -> ]Hopefully, i think they really suit the TEN, continuing about "red" buses etc on them due to lack of B9's, i think GNE will want to upgrade the TTX soon, as i doubt they'll want a repeat of what happened with the B7's, with the constant breakdowns, of course, that's if GNE decide to replace them in the next financial year (2017-2018), or even this years!, then the TTX B9's could go on the TEN and Cobalt Clippers along with a couple of spares.
It might be another year of the double deckers like 2012 was
(11 Aug 2016, 11:16 am)park5354 wrote [ -> ]5385 is now branded for Q3.

5385/87 now branded for Quaylink Q3.
5386 now branded for Quaylink Q1/Q2 (allowing rainbow branded 8335 to be used as a spare across both Quaylink services).
Would DDA coaches potentially be a solution for TTX? Plaxton Elites perhaps? A bit on the costly side but if you make it truly express and change the current service so B9s serve smaller places I reckon that could work.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
(11 Aug 2016, 12:10 am)G-CPTN wrote [ -> ]I am naturally very protective of the TEN, and believe that the B9TLs are ideal for the westerly section of the route - there are gradients (such as Tinklers Bank at Corbridge) which the B9s cope with admirably - I'm not sure that a 5 litre engine would be adequate.

It is mildly 'disappointing' when non-liveried vehicles (by which I mean red B7TLs) have to be used (the TEN livery is so good IMO), though any bus is preferable to no bus. What is strange is that 3942 used to be in TEN livery before it was repainted red.

Hexham do a superb job of using whatever spares they have to keep the service(s) 'on schedule' - I spotted a TEN B9TL running the X84 heading east through Corbridge on Tuesday @ 17.30ish (a few minutes late - but running nevertheless) and I've seen B9TLs on the occasional X84/X85 during 'daytime'.

In return we get the occasional single decker running the TEN (it comes as a surprise when they turn into central Corbridge instead of continuing along Main Street and Newcastle Road).

What I'm trying to say is don't mess with the current allocation (except where necessary to fill gaps) as the current vehicles seem to be ideally suited to the routes.

I dread to think what will happen when the B9TLs wear out - though maybe that will be a long time yet?
Don't want to start predictions on here but pretty sure that the TEN won't get a replacement even if the need for cascaded B9TLs is imminent with currently there only being 1 set of routes in mind given the recent service changes as well as further potential cascades (including extra modern deckers at Chester Le Street to assist with the Angel).

Your point about the westerly section of the route is pretty much spot on although Streetdecks would cope OK, they seem fine on the Castles Express.

Narrowing it down, if Streetdecks were to be used on the TEN, some fuel savings may be gained on sections between Crawcrook and Newcastle but with the Cobalt Clippers, the fuel savings could be huge given the stop start / urban nature of both routes, particularly service 310. As well as that, if all 14x B9TLs were to be cascaded straight from Riverside of the TEN to the depot in question for the route in mind, no spare vehicles would exist as such meaning that OmniDekkas would have to be used as spares; but if the Cobalt Clipper B9TLs were to be cascaded, 1x spare vehicle for the route in mind would be available as well as giving 2x B9TLs to Riverside keeping the total amount of B9TLs at 16 (15 if 6084 is needed elsewhere).
(11 Aug 2016, 12:10 am)G-CPTN wrote [ -> ]I am naturally very protective of the TEN, and believe that the B9TLs are ideal for the westerly section of the route - there are gradients (such as Tinklers Bank at Corbridge) which the B9s cope with admirably - I'm not sure that a 5 litre engine would be adequate.

It is mildly 'disappointing' when non-liveried vehicles (by which I mean red B7TLs) have to be used (the TEN livery is so good IMO)

Especially if traveling west of Prudhoe and a B7 shows up as I have to use wifi when going to Hexham as the signal on O2 is not good there except for only outside or in Tesco oddly which can get 3G at. 10B I'm not so bothered about what it is as it's always a good signal.
(11 Aug 2016, 4:29 pm)TEN 6083 wrote [ -> ] 
Especially if traveling west of Prudhoe and a B7 shows up as I have to use wifi when going to Hexham as the signal on O2 is not good there except for only outside or in Tesco oddly which can get 3G at. 10B I'm not so bothered about what it is as it's always a good signal.

I lose both EE and 3, too. Seems to be a bit of a dead spot.
Had a miserable Chester-Le-Street soul driving a President on the 21 2 days ago refusing to let me on his 21 due to it being " A Metro Ticket " Even though It was a CAT Ticket which can be bought from either the Metro or Bus and is valid on both aswell as the Ferry and Rail.

His second excuse was that it had " A, B and C on the ticket " Which is printed on all CAT Tickets issued on the Metro, Common Sense is that A,B and C is all Zones on a Metro ticket...

He said he'd let me on just this once but if he seen me again he wouldn't let me on.

Are Drivers seriously this undertrained on Tickets? The CAT is used by nearly every child in Tyne and Wear.
(12 Aug 2016, 11:45 am)South Tyne Lad wrote [ -> ]Had a miserable Chester-Le-Street soul driving a President on the 21 2 days ago refusing to let me on his 21 due to it being " A Metro Ticket " Even though It was a CAT Ticket which can be bought from either the Metro or Bus and is valid on both aswell as the Ferry and Rail.

His second excuse was that it had " A, B and C on the ticket " Which is printed on all CAT Tickets issued on the Metro, Common Sense is that A,B and C is all Zones on a Metro ticket...

He said he'd let me on just this once but if he seen me again he wouldn't let me on.

Are Drivers seriously this undertrained on Tickets? The CAT is used by nearly every child in Tyne and Wear.

It happens far to often, I have saw many people turned away from buses in Park Lane because of this.
(12 Aug 2016, 11:45 am)South Tyne Lad wrote [ -> ]Had a miserable Chester-Le-Street soul driving a President on the 21 2 days ago refusing to let me on his 21 due to it being " A Metro Ticket " Even though It was a CAT Ticket which can be bought from either the Metro or Bus and is valid on both aswell as the Ferry and Rail.

To be completely honest, it'll have likely have been confusion more than anything. Drivers generally expect to see a bus ticket rather than a Metro ticket if you're showing a previously bought ticket to travel. I've had it before on Northern Rail between Newcastle and Sunderland, where the guard has been a bit funny about it because it was an Explorer purchased on an Arriva bus. 

As I'm acquainted with a good number of staff at Chester-le-Street, I can assure you the miserable drivers are few and far between. Vast majority of them are very nice people. Regarding the third line; the amount of passengers that drivers carry on a daily basis, I wouldn't worry about him refusing you travel in the future, as most drivers see more faces in a day than they can remember.
I'd be as miserable as sin driving a President mind....
(12 Aug 2016, 2:44 pm)Ambassador wrote [ -> ]I'd be as miserable as sin driving a President mind....

Funnily enough, a lot of drivers rate them quite highly as a vehicle to drive. The likes of Streetlites and Versas are disliked, but a President is considered a doddle. Obviously, there are some good and some bad, but the overall consensus is that they're alright.

You should put a complaint in.  There is no excuse for not accepting these tickets when the drivers are operating in Tyne and Wear day in and day out.

http://www.simplygo.com/contact-us/
Speaking of Chester Le Streets finest.

Angel 6066 has expired outside the Cannon in Low Fell
(12 Aug 2016, 5:48 pm)Ambassador wrote [ -> ]Speaking of Chester Le Streets finest.

Angel 6066 has expired outside the Cannon in Low Fell

That expired there at approximately 16:25.

I alighted from 6303 on the following X21 and the passengers travelling to Chester-le-Street were transferred onto there, whilst others waited for the following 21.

The driver of 6303 had already had an interesting journey to that point as 4926 had broken down in Gateshead on the X25 (at the 21 stop) and he had already taken the Chester-le-Street passengers from that!

I guess a driver doesn't often have to rescue two sets of stranded passengers on one journey!
(12 Aug 2016, 3:42 pm)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]You should put a complaint in.  There is no excuse for not accepting these tickets when the drivers are operating in Tyne and Wear day in and day out.

http://www.simplygo.com/contact-us/

I will, Not the best experience I had, Was very surprised when he refused it, Considering the CAT is one of the most used tickets in Tyne and Wear.

(12 Aug 2016, 1:27 pm)R852 PRG wrote [ -> ]To be completely honest, it'll have likely have been confusion more than anything. Drivers generally expect to see a bus ticket rather than a Metro ticket if you're showing a previously bought ticket to travel. I've had it before on Northern Rail between Newcastle and Sunderland, where the guard has been a bit funny about it because it was an Explorer purchased on an Arriva bus.

As I'm acquainted with a good number of staff at Chester-le-Street, I can assure you the miserable drivers are few and far between. Vast majority of them are very nice people. Regarding the third line; the amount of passengers that drivers carry on a daily basis, I wouldn't worry about him refusing you travel in the future, as most drivers see more faces in a day than they can remember.

While I understand where your coming from, This driver seemed Adamant that my ticket was not valid.

I agree on the drivers though, Only had one or two miserable ones from there in a long time.

We're had similar problems with explorers with drivers on all the big 3 in the area.

I'm a stubborn git and always get on, though (after a quick lesson in ticketing options) Big Grin
(12 Aug 2016, 6:49 pm)BusLoverMum wrote [ -> ]We're had similar problems with explorers with drivers on all the big 3 in the area.

I'm a stubborn git and always get on, though (after a quick lesson in ticketing options) Big Grin

Aye, prove the buggers wrong, some drivers think they know it all when in fact they know.........
(12 Aug 2016, 6:56 pm)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]Aye, prove the buggers wrong, some drivers think they know it all when in fact they know.........
I've had a few incidences with GNE tickets mind!

A Stanley forced me to take my ticket out of my clear wallet pouch on a rainy day and demanded I never did it again since it was hard to check.. never once had an issue with this again.

Another Stanley driver also kept making me scan my card on the machine as I bought a day e-ticket, kept saying 'ok' as if I could go on. About attempt 4 of calling me back to rescan he asked where I was going as if I should have done this 4 times ago - without telling me.

A Washington driver also charged me a full single because his scanner 'broke' and he kept insisting there wasn't anything on the card. By the way he looked and talked to me, it felt like he did something dumb and was trying to act as if it wasn't his fault.

Many more issues with GNE and tickets, but 90% of the time there's no issue at all, just surprised that they can't manage their own fare system 100% of the time - not even the excuse of foreign corporation's tickets coming into play.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35