Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2016

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2016

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2016

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Pages (35) Previous 111 12 1335 Next
L469 YVK

10 Aug 2016, 4:18 pm #221
(10 Aug 2016, 3:35 pm)Dan Given that the two vehicles fitted with the GKN Flywheels have now had them removed, I think that suggests what the success of the flywheel was like (up here, at least!)

I cannot imagine a report being published, though.

This isn't an order prediction as such Dan but if the need arose for cascades and there was a good business case to do so (extra fuel savings, right traffic conditions etc), do you think GNE would end up replacing the B9s on the Cobalts or Fab 56 with Streetdecks in the near future? Not that I'd want them to go BTW but I'd imagine the fuel saving potential would be good on these types of routes.
L469 YVK
10 Aug 2016, 4:18 pm #221

(10 Aug 2016, 3:35 pm)Dan Given that the two vehicles fitted with the GKN Flywheels have now had them removed, I think that suggests what the success of the flywheel was like (up here, at least!)

I cannot imagine a report being published, though.

This isn't an order prediction as such Dan but if the need arose for cascades and there was a good business case to do so (extra fuel savings, right traffic conditions etc), do you think GNE would end up replacing the B9s on the Cobalts or Fab 56 with Streetdecks in the near future? Not that I'd want them to go BTW but I'd imagine the fuel saving potential would be good on these types of routes.

Dan

Site Administrator

10 Aug 2016, 5:03 pm #222
(10 Aug 2016, 4:18 pm)L469 YVK This isn't an order prediction as such Dan but if the need arose for cascades and there was a good business case to do so (extra fuel savings, right traffic conditions etc), do you think GNE would end up replacing the B9s on the Cobalts or Fab 56 with Streetdecks in the near future? Not that I'd want them to go BTW but I'd imagine the fuel saving potential would be good on these types of routes.

I can't see that happening any time soon, really.

There are other double-decker routes which would benefit from an upgrade first. By no means a suggestion that it'll happen, but the TEN is currently running at a PVR of 16 with just 13 branded vehicles. The current situation isn't ideal, but it's about designing changes which are right for both the business and customers. Investing into this route would mean that 16 branded vehicles could be ordered with two spares. The TEN is a high-profile route, which has proven to be worthy of upgrades time after time.
Dan
10 Aug 2016, 5:03 pm #222

(10 Aug 2016, 4:18 pm)L469 YVK This isn't an order prediction as such Dan but if the need arose for cascades and there was a good business case to do so (extra fuel savings, right traffic conditions etc), do you think GNE would end up replacing the B9s on the Cobalts or Fab 56 with Streetdecks in the near future? Not that I'd want them to go BTW but I'd imagine the fuel saving potential would be good on these types of routes.

I can't see that happening any time soon, really.

There are other double-decker routes which would benefit from an upgrade first. By no means a suggestion that it'll happen, but the TEN is currently running at a PVR of 16 with just 13 branded vehicles. The current situation isn't ideal, but it's about designing changes which are right for both the business and customers. Investing into this route would mean that 16 branded vehicles could be ordered with two spares. The TEN is a high-profile route, which has proven to be worthy of upgrades time after time.

Michael

10 Aug 2016, 7:05 pm #223
(10 Aug 2016, 5:03 pm)Dan I can't see that happening any time soon, really.

Is that a hint Dan? Wink

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
10 Aug 2016, 7:05 pm #223

Is that a hint Dan? Wink

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

10 Aug 2016, 7:06 pm #224
(10 Aug 2016, 7:05 pm)Michael Is that a hint Dan? Wink

Nope - I did clearly say it's not a suggestion that it'll happen! Smile
Dan
10 Aug 2016, 7:06 pm #224

(10 Aug 2016, 7:05 pm)Michael Is that a hint Dan? Wink

Nope - I did clearly say it's not a suggestion that it'll happen! Smile

Ambassador

10 Aug 2016, 7:14 pm #225

Any chance of some divine intervention for my Angel Dan?

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
10 Aug 2016, 7:14 pm #225

Any chance of some divine intervention for my Angel Dan?

citaro5284

10 Aug 2016, 7:19 pm #226
(10 Aug 2016, 7:14 pm)Ambassador Any chance of some divine intervention for my Angel Dan?

A nice batch of Omnicities would go down nicely for the 21
citaro5284
10 Aug 2016, 7:19 pm #226

(10 Aug 2016, 7:14 pm)Ambassador Any chance of some divine intervention for my Angel Dan?

A nice batch of Omnicities would go down nicely for the 21

Dan

Site Administrator

10 Aug 2016, 7:21 pm #227

Another high-profile route which would benefit from having a full allocation of vehicles to the same specification with an appropriate number of spares - one of which could be shared with service X21!
Dan
10 Aug 2016, 7:21 pm #227

Another high-profile route which would benefit from having a full allocation of vehicles to the same specification with an appropriate number of spares - one of which could be shared with service X21!

Ambassador

10 Aug 2016, 7:23 pm #228
(10 Aug 2016, 7:19 pm)citaro5284 A nice batch of Omnicities would go down nicely for the 21

Vehicle swap with Coaster?  Big Grin

(10 Aug 2016, 7:21 pm)Dan Another high-profile route which would benefit from having a full allocation of vehicles to the same specification with an appropriate number of spares - one of which could be shared with service X21

You tease! Hybrids due off next year?

Imagine they'd need a fairly lightened end of life route

Ambassador
10 Aug 2016, 7:23 pm #228

(10 Aug 2016, 7:19 pm)citaro5284 A nice batch of Omnicities would go down nicely for the 21

Vehicle swap with Coaster?  Big Grin

(10 Aug 2016, 7:21 pm)Dan Another high-profile route which would benefit from having a full allocation of vehicles to the same specification with an appropriate number of spares - one of which could be shared with service X21

You tease! Hybrids due off next year?

Dan

Site Administrator

10 Aug 2016, 7:34 pm #229
(10 Aug 2016, 7:23 pm)Ambassador You tease! Hybrids due off next year?

No teasing intended - just of the opinion that high-profile routes should consistently offer the advertised features such as Wi-Fi and power sockets!

As was said by someone else on the forum recently, it would be difficult to get a business case to stack up to retrofit red ex-London B7s with Wi-Fi when these vehicles are close to the end of their working lives, but if/when the services are invested in, I would expect sufficient vehicles to be branded with an appropriate number of same spec spares.
Dan
10 Aug 2016, 7:34 pm #229

(10 Aug 2016, 7:23 pm)Ambassador You tease! Hybrids due off next year?

No teasing intended - just of the opinion that high-profile routes should consistently offer the advertised features such as Wi-Fi and power sockets!

As was said by someone else on the forum recently, it would be difficult to get a business case to stack up to retrofit red ex-London B7s with Wi-Fi when these vehicles are close to the end of their working lives, but if/when the services are invested in, I would expect sufficient vehicles to be branded with an appropriate number of same spec spares.

Michael

10 Aug 2016, 7:50 pm #230
(10 Aug 2016, 7:34 pm)Dan No teasing intended - just of the opinion that high-profile routes should consistently offer the advertised features such as Wi-Fi and power sockets!

Well lets hope GNE don't decide to change the services after then.

Exactly what's happened to some services - investment and then changed.

Red Kite - PVR increase months after they enterdd service, lost a spare, 45/46 - passengers on the 45/46 not guarated sockets now.

Indigo North Tyne - services changed so that means 4 older solo's are needed months after an investment.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
10 Aug 2016, 7:50 pm #230

(10 Aug 2016, 7:34 pm)Dan No teasing intended - just of the opinion that high-profile routes should consistently offer the advertised features such as Wi-Fi and power sockets!

Well lets hope GNE don't decide to change the services after then.

Exactly what's happened to some services - investment and then changed.

Red Kite - PVR increase months after they enterdd service, lost a spare, 45/46 - passengers on the 45/46 not guarated sockets now.

Indigo North Tyne - services changed so that means 4 older solo's are needed months after an investment.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Ambassador

10 Aug 2016, 7:51 pm #231

Indeed they should. Sometimes I feel the Angel is taken for granted as there's no competition (10 has the train and Arriva) Coast Rd has competition whereas the Angel has a monopoly

Ambassador
10 Aug 2016, 7:51 pm #231

Indeed they should. Sometimes I feel the Angel is taken for granted as there's no competition (10 has the train and Arriva) Coast Rd has competition whereas the Angel has a monopoly

10 Aug 2016, 7:53 pm #232

Id say the Angel will be one of the next in line for investment, As they would be atleast 2 or 3 spares of the same vehicle type to stop Presidents and other vehicles from being allocated, And if Streetdeck's were bought then the spares could also be allocated to the X21 without missing any of the features found on that route ( Apart from Tables )

As much as id like to see a Euro 6 B5LH bought, I'd heavily doubt it will happen.

My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
South Tyne Lad
10 Aug 2016, 7:53 pm #232

Id say the Angel will be one of the next in line for investment, As they would be atleast 2 or 3 spares of the same vehicle type to stop Presidents and other vehicles from being allocated, And if Streetdeck's were bought then the spares could also be allocated to the X21 without missing any of the features found on that route ( Apart from Tables )

As much as id like to see a Euro 6 B5LH bought, I'd heavily doubt it will happen.

My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile

L469 YVK

10 Aug 2016, 8:16 pm #233
In terms of investment though, if a cascade of B9TLs was planned, which service out of the TEN and Cobalt Clipper would provide the biggest fuel savings if Streetdecks were to be ordered?

TEN:
- OK between Crawcrook and Newcastle
- Bit tough between Rockwood Hill and Blackhall Mill as well as between Hexham and Prudhoe
- Buses can get stuck in severe traffic around the Metrocentre occasionally

Cobalt Clipper:
- 310 a walk in the park bar very brief fast stint between Station Road & Benfield Road (mainly utilised for timekeeping where speed is concerned)
- 309 similar, also operates some fast stints along Blyth Road and Links Road (60MPH NSL single carriageways)as well as New York Road between Arnold Clark and New York Roundabout (if not invaded by the '40 in a 60' brigade grrrr!)
- 2x X39 runs (if 07:25 is an odd working as I believe, correct me if I'm wrong) in both directions Mondays to Fridays, not too demanding but fast
- Buses can get stuck in severe traffic around Cobalt Business Park and outlying areas occasionally
L469 YVK
10 Aug 2016, 8:16 pm #233

In terms of investment though, if a cascade of B9TLs was planned, which service out of the TEN and Cobalt Clipper would provide the biggest fuel savings if Streetdecks were to be ordered?

TEN:
- OK between Crawcrook and Newcastle
- Bit tough between Rockwood Hill and Blackhall Mill as well as between Hexham and Prudhoe

Cobalt Clipper:
- 310 a walk in the park bar very brief fast stint between Station Road & Benfield Road (mainly utilised for timekeeping where speed is concerned)
- 309 similar, also operates some fast stints along Blyth Road and Links Road (60MPH NSL single carriageways)as well as New York Road between Arnold Clark and New York Roundabout (if not invaded by the '40 in a 60' brigade grrrr!)
- 2x X39 runs (if 07:25 is an odd working as I believe, correct me if I'm wrong) in both directions Mondays to Fridays, not too demanding but fast
- Buses can get stuck in severe traffic around Cobalt Business Park and outlying areas occasionally

10 Aug 2016, 8:28 pm #234
(10 Aug 2016, 8:16 pm)L469 YVK TEN:

Cobalt Clipper:

With regards to slow moving/stop start traffic, are auto engine stop/start vehicles available on the market for GNE?

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
northern156
10 Aug 2016, 8:28 pm #234

(10 Aug 2016, 8:16 pm)L469 YVK TEN:

Cobalt Clipper:

With regards to slow moving/stop start traffic, are auto engine stop/start vehicles available on the market for GNE?

Kuyoyo

10 Aug 2016, 8:32 pm #235
(10 Aug 2016, 8:28 pm)northern156 With regards to slow moving/stop start traffic, are auto engine stop/start vehicles available on the market for GNE?

I believe the only Manufacturer currently offering a Start/Stop option is Alexander Dennis.
Kuyoyo
10 Aug 2016, 8:32 pm #235

(10 Aug 2016, 8:28 pm)northern156 With regards to slow moving/stop start traffic, are auto engine stop/start vehicles available on the market for GNE?

I believe the only Manufacturer currently offering a Start/Stop option is Alexander Dennis.

10 Aug 2016, 8:37 pm #236
(10 Aug 2016, 8:32 pm)Kuyoyo I believe the only Manufacturer currently offering a Start/Stop option is Alexander Dennis.

Interesting... would like to see how they fare in terms of additional MPG

northern156
10 Aug 2016, 8:37 pm #236

(10 Aug 2016, 8:32 pm)Kuyoyo I believe the only Manufacturer currently offering a Start/Stop option is Alexander Dennis.

Interesting... would like to see how they fare in terms of additional MPG

G-CPTN

11 Aug 2016, 12:10 am #237
I am naturally very protective of the TEN, and believe that the B9TLs are ideal for the westerly section of the route - there are gradients (such as Tinklers Bank at Corbridge) which the B9s cope with admirably - I'm not sure that a 5 litre engine would be adequate.

It is mildly 'disappointing' when non-liveried vehicles (by which I mean red B7TLs) have to be used (the TEN livery is so good IMO), though any bus is preferable to no bus. What is strange is that 3942 used to be in TEN livery before it was repainted red.

Hexham do a superb job of using whatever spares they have to keep the service(s) 'on schedule' - I spotted a TEN B9TL running the X84 heading east through Corbridge on Tuesday @ 17.30ish (a few minutes late - but running nevertheless) and I've seen B9TLs on the occasional X84/X85 during 'daytime'.

In return we get the occasional single decker running the TEN (it comes as a surprise when they turn into central Corbridge instead of continuing along Main Street and Newcastle Road).

What I'm trying to say is don't mess with the current allocation (except where necessary to fill gaps) as the current vehicles seem to be ideally suited to the routes.

I dread to think what will happen when the B9TLs wear out - though maybe that will be a long time yet?
G-CPTN
11 Aug 2016, 12:10 am #237

I am naturally very protective of the TEN, and believe that the B9TLs are ideal for the westerly section of the route - there are gradients (such as Tinklers Bank at Corbridge) which the B9s cope with admirably - I'm not sure that a 5 litre engine would be adequate.

It is mildly 'disappointing' when non-liveried vehicles (by which I mean red B7TLs) have to be used (the TEN livery is so good IMO), though any bus is preferable to no bus. What is strange is that 3942 used to be in TEN livery before it was repainted red.

Hexham do a superb job of using whatever spares they have to keep the service(s) 'on schedule' - I spotted a TEN B9TL running the X84 heading east through Corbridge on Tuesday @ 17.30ish (a few minutes late - but running nevertheless) and I've seen B9TLs on the occasional X84/X85 during 'daytime'.

In return we get the occasional single decker running the TEN (it comes as a surprise when they turn into central Corbridge instead of continuing along Main Street and Newcastle Road).

What I'm trying to say is don't mess with the current allocation (except where necessary to fill gaps) as the current vehicles seem to be ideally suited to the routes.

I dread to think what will happen when the B9TLs wear out - though maybe that will be a long time yet?

Michael

11 Aug 2016, 9:47 am #238
(11 Aug 2016, 12:10 am)G-CPTN I am naturally very protective of the TEN, and believe that the B9TLs are ideal for the westerly section of the route - there are gradients (such as Tinklers Bank at Corbridge) which the B9s cope with admirably - I'm not sure that a 5 litre engine would be adequate.

Hopefully, i think they really suit the TEN, continuing about "red" buses etc on them due to lack of B9's, i think GNE will want to upgrade the TTX soon, as i doubt they'll want a repeat of what happened with the B7's, with the constant breakdowns, of course, that's if GNE decide to replace them in the next financial year (2017-2018), or even this years!, then the TTX B9's could go on the TEN and Cobalt Clippers along with a couple of spares.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
11 Aug 2016, 9:47 am #238

(11 Aug 2016, 12:10 am)G-CPTN I am naturally very protective of the TEN, and believe that the B9TLs are ideal for the westerly section of the route - there are gradients (such as Tinklers Bank at Corbridge) which the B9s cope with admirably - I'm not sure that a 5 litre engine would be adequate.

Hopefully, i think they really suit the TEN, continuing about "red" buses etc on them due to lack of B9's, i think GNE will want to upgrade the TTX soon, as i doubt they'll want a repeat of what happened with the B7's, with the constant breakdowns, of course, that's if GNE decide to replace them in the next financial year (2017-2018), or even this years!, then the TTX B9's could go on the TEN and Cobalt Clippers along with a couple of spares.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Jimmi

11 Aug 2016, 9:56 am #239
(11 Aug 2016, 9:47 am)Michael Hopefully, i think they really suit the TEN, continuing about "red" buses etc on them due to lack of B9's, i think GNE will want to upgrade the TTX soon, as i doubt they'll want a repeat of what happened with the B7's, with the constant breakdowns, of course, that's if GNE decide to replace them in the next financial year (2017-2018), or even this years!, then the TTX B9's could go on the TEN and Cobalt Clippers along with a couple of spares.

Have noticed more reportings on GNE's Facebook of X9/X10's not operating from Middlesbrough due to breakdowns, think there's been two this week already, plus there has been allocations of Green Arrow Solar's and 6047 being kept local. Think something like Neoplan Skyliner's but maybe more modern would be the way to go for the X9/X10 as they would probably last longer than four years before they start breaking down on a fairly regular basis, sadly I can't see this happening due to the cost implications.
Jimmi
11 Aug 2016, 9:56 am #239

(11 Aug 2016, 9:47 am)Michael Hopefully, i think they really suit the TEN, continuing about "red" buses etc on them due to lack of B9's, i think GNE will want to upgrade the TTX soon, as i doubt they'll want a repeat of what happened with the B7's, with the constant breakdowns, of course, that's if GNE decide to replace them in the next financial year (2017-2018), or even this years!, then the TTX B9's could go on the TEN and Cobalt Clippers along with a couple of spares.

Have noticed more reportings on GNE's Facebook of X9/X10's not operating from Middlesbrough due to breakdowns, think there's been two this week already, plus there has been allocations of Green Arrow Solar's and 6047 being kept local. Think something like Neoplan Skyliner's but maybe more modern would be the way to go for the X9/X10 as they would probably last longer than four years before they start breaking down on a fairly regular basis, sadly I can't see this happening due to the cost implications.

park5354

11 Aug 2016, 11:16 am #240
5385 is now branded for Q3.
park5354
11 Aug 2016, 11:16 am #240

5385 is now branded for Q3.

Pages (35) Previous 111 12 1335 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average