North East Buses

Full Version: Enviro 400MMC's for the X10
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
(20 Dec 2021, 7:01 pm)Storx wrote [ -> ]Admit this is dragging the thread off topic a bit but the 42A should terminate at Killingworth.

Then there should be a new service running the 57 from Ashington to Cramlington, direct to Dudley, then the remaining of the 42A route.

The 54 should then be downgraded to Solo's permanently (it's ran by them on a Sunday now anyway) and interwork with the 57A which would run every 30 minutes (no 57 as it's not needed south of Cramlington, the 19 does it).

Would reintroduce a bus service from SE Northumberland to the airport and there's no need for the 19/57 both doing Wansbeck through Seaton Valley to North Tyneside it's overkill and Seaton Valley would get a link to North Tyneside hospital on a connecting bus.

Doesn't help your GNE buses but the 42A is totally out of zone and really needs to be an Arriva or Stagecoach service (it's contracted North of Killingworth).

You know alot more than me but i thought it was only secured from dinington to the airport? GNE only wanted to run it to diniington from sheilds at the time?
(21 Dec 2021, 2:59 am)Keeiajs wrote [ -> ]Realistically for the Durham route you could send it to leave Durham straight down the A1 till just past Team Valley, the A184 then to Gateshead Straight into Newcastle. 

Then you could have one that goes to Middlesbroguh, Dalton Park, then Seaham, A19, A690, Sunderland, Heworth, Gateshead, Newcastle.

You don't really want to send anything down the A1 over the next 4 years - congestion is horrific
(21 Dec 2021, 11:44 am)Ambassador wrote [ -> ]You don't really want to send anything down the A1 over the next 4 years - congestion is horrific
Maybe that is why you need a bus service.
(21 Dec 2021, 11:12 am)Rob44 wrote [ -> ]You know alot more than me but i thought it was only secured from dinington to the airport? GNE only wanted to run it to diniington from sheilds at the time?

Ah I could be wrong there I always thought it was from Killingworth. It might be to Dinnington though, I just assumed Killingworth as it replaced the old 3 and 101 before that from Blyth.
(21 Dec 2021, 12:12 pm)Storx wrote [ -> ]Ah I could be wrong there I always thought it was from Killingworth. It might be to Dinnington though, I just assumed Killingworth as it replaced the old 3 and 101 before that from Blyth.
Would it be possible for an admin to move the topic of the 42A into its own thread
On a note, on GNE website both Route Map, and PDF have been removed, with all mention of the X9 gone.
(21 Dec 2021, 2:11 pm)Keeiajs wrote [ -> ]On a note, on GNE website both Route Map, and PDF have been removed, with all mention of the X9 gone.
I just wish GNE would confirm its staying withdrawn. Stagecoach are the same with the 100. Just say it's staying withdrawn. We all know this now
(21 Dec 2021, 3:58 pm)Train8261 wrote [ -> ]I just wish GNE would confirm its staying withdrawn. Stagecoach are the same with the 100. Just say it's staying withdrawn. We all know this now
Tbh, I am very surprised Dan has been quite silent on this.
What is the history of the x10 route over the years?
(21 Dec 2021, 5:24 pm)idiot wrote [ -> ]What is the history of the x10 route over the years?
It got the G1's, then a mix of them and coaches + Some Volvo Olympians used as spares, got some 12' G2's, Then the now X21's, and now back to coaches then E400 MMC.
(21 Dec 2021, 3:58 pm)Train8261 wrote [ -> ]I just wish GNE would confirm its staying withdrawn. Stagecoach are the same with the 100. Just say it's staying withdrawn. We all know this now

In both cases, why would they? 

For the X9, there are multiple reasons why it *could* have been suspended aside from the passenger numbers not picking up (driver shortage, reliability). Ultimately it's of benefit to nobody at this time to say it's withdrawn forever, but would arguably cause more confusion saying it's gone forever then suddenly reinstating it in April (for example) if the X10 picks up. I'm not saying that's likely, I have no way of knowing what the numbers were like, but from a business POV it makes more sense to keep options open at a time where people understand why routes might not be running - see Arriva with taking their time to fully withdraw the X16 as a similar example.

For the 100 - wasn't this temporarily withdrawn due to driver shortages? Again, this should be something that can be rectified and it's not as if folk aren't going to the MetroCentre.

(21 Dec 2021, 4:02 pm)Keeiajs wrote [ -> ]Tbh, I am very surprised Dan has been quite silent on this.

I mean, I doubt he's going to come on here and spill what is likely sensitive commercial information weeks/months ahead of when any final decision on the route would be made?
(21 Dec 2021, 6:45 pm)mb134 wrote [ -> ]In both cases, why would they? 

For the X9, there are multiple reasons why it *could* have been suspended aside from the passenger numbers not picking up (driver shortage, reliability). Ultimately it's of benefit to nobody at this time to say it's withdrawn forever, but would arguably cause more confusion saying it's gone forever then suddenly reinstating it in April (for example) if the X10 picks up. I'm not saying that's likely, I have no way of knowing what the numbers were like, but from a business POV it makes more sense to keep options open at a time where people understand why routes might not be running - see Arriva with taking their time to fully withdraw the X16 as a similar example.

For the 100 - wasn't this temporarily withdrawn due to driver shortages? Again, this should be something that can be rectified and it's not as if folk aren't going to the MetroCentre.

I mean, I doubt he's going to come on here and spill what is likely sensitive commercial information weeks/months ahead of when any final decision on the route would be made?
The 100 was withdrawn way back in July and hasn't been reintroduced not even for Boxing day 
We already know from this thread the X9 is being withdrawn and the X10 is becoming it full time with the 4 E400MMC going onto the X10
(21 Dec 2021, 7:04 pm)Train8261 wrote [ -> ]The 100 was withdrawn way back in July and hasn't been reintroduced not even for Boxing day 
We already know from this thread the X9 is being withdrawn and the X10 is becoming it full time with the 4 E400MMC going onto the X10

So you ask why GNE haven't confirmed it yet, then when possible reasons are given as to why, you reply with this?? Bizarre.
(21 Dec 2021, 6:11 pm)Keeiajs wrote [ -> ]It got the G1's, then a mix of them and coaches + Some Volvo Olympians used as spares, got some 12' G2's, Then the now X21's, and now back to coaches then E400 MMC.
Sorry I meant the route it self.
(21 Dec 2021, 7:04 pm)Train8261 wrote [ -> ]The 100 was withdrawn way back in July and hasn't been reintroduced not even for Boxing day 
This feed isn't Gospel
X10 allocations from when GNE took full responibility of the route....
Leyland National Mk2, MCW Metrobus Mk2 or Leyland Olympian / ECW - usually vehicles that were DP seated, though bus seated Cummins L10 engined Leyland Olympians did appear.
DAF DB250 - Optare Spectra - spare vehicles were normally DP ECW bodied Leyland Olympians.
Volvo Olympian - N-C Palatine 2 (3828-3831) - spare vehicles were normally the N-C Palatine 1 bodied Volvo Olympians (3940 being one), though MCW Metrobus Mk2 (bus seated versions, much speed down the A19.... not) and Scania L94UB - Wright Solars or Volvo B10BLE - Wright Renowns appeared.
Volvo B7TL - Wright Eclipse Gemini 1 (3941-3943) - with Volvo Olympian - N-C Palatine 2 spare. Single deck subs were Renowns or Solars.

X9 was introduced adding Volvo B10M - Plaxton coaches (1x Expressliner and 2x Paragons), spare vehicles were often Volvo Olympian / N-C Palatine 2

Coaches were found unsuitable due to extended loading times and accessibility so the allocation for X9 / X10 was streamlined into one vehicle type starting with....
Volvo B7TL - Wright Eclipse Gemini 1 (3941-3943 / 3962 - 3965) with Volvo Olympian - N-C Palatine 2s being the ever reliable spares.
Volvo B9TL - Wright Eclipse Gemini 2 (6043 - 6048) spare was B7TL 3963 in Tyne Tees Express livery and 3964 in a variety of liveries. Volvo Olympians still appeared.
Volvo B5TL - Wright Gemini 3 (6308 - 6314) with fleet livered Volvo B9TLs as spares, though anything could appear like Solars and Citaros.
Volvo B11RT - Caetano Levante - Intrim vehicles until the Elite-i were ready for service.
Volvo B11RT - Plaxton Elite-i (7150 - 7156) with various Volvo / Caetano Levante Coaches acting as spares, along with Wright Streetdeck.
ADL Enviro 400MMC - The next residents of the A19 Express?
(21 Dec 2021, 9:45 pm)Rapidsnap wrote [ -> ]Coaches were found unsuitable due to extended loading times and accessibility so the allocation for X9 / X10 was streamlined into one vehicle type starting with....
Volvo B7TL - Wright Eclipse Gemini 1 (3941-3943 / 3962 - 3965) with Volvo Olympian - N-C Palatine 2s being the ever reliable spares.
Volvo B9TL - Wright Eclipse Gemini 2 (6043 - 6048) spare was B7TL 3963 in Tyne Tees Express livery and 3964 in a variety of liveries. Volvo Olympians still appeared.
Volvo B5TL - Wright Gemini 3 (6308 - 6314) with fleet livered Volvo B9TLs as spares, though anything could appear like Solars and Citaros.
Volvo B11RT - Caetano Levante - Intrim vehicles until the Elite-i were ready for service.
Volvo B11RT - Plaxton Elite-i (7150 - 7156) with various Volvo / Caetano Levante Coaches acting as spares, along with Wright Streetdeck.
ADL Enviro 400MMC - The next residents of the A19 Express?

Out of all of that, arguably the best vehicles of the last 16 years on the route were the B7TLs. The B9s that succeeded them were dead after about 5 years, the B5s were dead on their feet early doors, and the Elites didn't work particularly well either...
(21 Dec 2021, 10:14 pm)mb134 wrote [ -> ]Out of all of that, arguably the best vehicles of the last 16 years on the route were the B7TLs. The B9s that succeeded them were dead after about 5 years, the B5s were dead on their feet early doors, and the Elites didn't work particularly well either...
And the ones which were the best supply buses were the Olympian 2, tbh they would probs last longer than the elites, or the B5's on the X21 and X10
(21 Dec 2021, 9:45 pm)Rapidsnap wrote [ -> ]X10 allocations from when GNE took full responibility of the route....
Leyland National Mk2, MCW Metrobus Mk2 or Leyland Olympian / ECW

Those Superliner liveried MCWs were immense. Felt like they could take off at any point. Those Spectras were pretty special too once they got going.
The best vehicles for the X10 for me would be joint between Leyland Olympian - ECW and Volvo Olympian - N-C Palatine 2. Honestly if those Palatine 2s had DP seating, they would have pipped the Olympians.

The Volvo B7TLs were ok but age caught up to them quicker due to their smaller engine (similar can be said of B9TL and B5TL). As for the Spectras, they were good to except they were hindered by their gearing which was more intended for London routes which meant it took longer for them to get into their stride.

It's a difficult route to get the right vehicle for these days, and the closest GNE has got is one 6 Cylinder Streetdeck, though from travelling on the Enviro 400MMCs on the X84, they are a pretty good shout, probably why one was on loan to Riverside last month.

If the X9 is gone for good, and the X10 does parts of both route, they should renumber the service to X19 to highlight it that it runs up the A19 serving locations along said route.

But I wouldn't be suprised if the numbers of OAP / Disabled passes do pick up again with the introduction of the double deckers with the vehicles being 100% easier to board than the coaches. A lot of the time old people only want to use a coach for when they are going on their holidays or on a day trip. Not to go shopping with their shopping trolley.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19