North East Buses

Full Version: Driver Recruitment
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
A major recruitment drive is underway at the region's largest bus operator Go North East, as it looks to recruit 100 new bus drivers over the coming weeks, as a result of new service patterns, contract wins and staff turnover.

The company has recently increased its pay rates to new and existing bus drivers; with new drivers earning £11 per hour following a short training period, rising to £12.83 per hour after a year in the job. Existing bus driver licence holders joining the company will earn £12.83 per hour straight away.

This takes the basic annual wage for Go North East bus drivers on a guaranteed 39 hour week to £22,308 in the first year and £26,019 after year one (or straight away for existing licence holders) with regular opportunities to earn overtime each week on top of this.

https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/increased-...RboBRxsops
Arriva better get its finger out then. When I left them a few months ago the starting wage was £10 an hour (lol) rising to a top rate of £12.65 after two years service. In addition they are the only one of the big three operators not to offer an enhanced overtime rate and as far as Im aware even if you already have a licence when you join them there is no fast track to the top rate either.
I'm at Stagecoach and there's nothing enhanced here. We got time and a half for 2 or 3 days in December and that's it. Normal pay at all other times.
(23 Sep 2022, 10:57 am)tcts24 wrote [ -> ]I'm at Stagecoach and there's nothing enhanced here. We got time and a half for 2 or 3 days in December and that's it. Normal pay at all other times.

So really all these figures that get banded about by the bus companies is really just spin.  I earn less per hour than what bus drivers do but i probably earn more due to unsocial, weekend, and bank holiday enhancements of sometime 100% and a day off in lieu.
We get lieu days for bank holidays but nothing extra for working them. For the record, my hourly rate is £12.46 at Hartlepool depot. We're on the same rates as Stockton who are currently advertising on social media about earning over £500 per week. And before tax, I do! If I did overtime (which I usually avoid) I could get the advertised amount net, but I'd probably need to do a 7 day for that. Think our starting rate is £11.32?
I’ve noticed similar figures bandied about for Stagecoach in Newcastle as well. A positive step, as is taking away the 5 year wait for top rate. Let’s hope this is for keeps.
(23 Sep 2022, 11:37 am)tcts24 wrote [ -> ]We get lieu days for bank holidays but nothing extra for working them. For the record, my hourly rate is £12.46 at Hartlepool depot. We're on the same rates as Stockton who are currently advertising on social media about earning over £500 per week. And before tax, I do! If I did overtime (which I usually avoid) I could get the advertised amount net, but I'd probably need to do a 7 day for that. Think our starting rate is £11.32?
As far I'm aware Stagecoach Newcastle drivers get an extra £1/hr for overtime shifts, yes its pennies but better than nothing I suppose.
From what I've just heard 35 drivers have left arriva jesmond for scne. That's why the 43 44 and 45 have been decimated today
I'm guessing none or close to no drivers went to GNE instead of SCNE?
(24 Sep 2022, 8:46 pm)Jack Gill wrote [ -> ]I'm guessing none or close to no drivers went to GNE instead of SCNE?
I assume they moved before the increase fare offer.

Maybe thats why
(24 Sep 2022, 8:33 pm)Rob44 wrote [ -> ]From what I've just heard 35 drivers have left arriva jesmond for scne. That's why the 43 44 and 45 have been decimated today
And even the 07.08 X30 on Thursday this week and Friday last week although for that one I would say they should use drivers from other routes to run that trip.
(24 Sep 2022, 9:16 pm)Unber43 wrote [ -> ]I assume they moved before the increase fare offer.

Maybe thats why

Or because Walkergate is much closer to Jesmond than any GNE depot?
(24 Sep 2022, 9:29 pm)mb134 wrote [ -> ]Or because Walkergate is much closer to Jesmond than any GNE depot?
 I wonder if there's more to it than just travel time to Walkergate. 

What are the chances that all of these drivers live in that part of the world? There must be some who live say south of the river and are closer to Riverside or even Washington.

On a slightly connected note. I'm aware of at least one Chester driver who chose to move to Consett after the depot closure. The reason? Route familiarity.
(25 Sep 2022, 6:51 am)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ] I wonder if there's more to it than just travel time to Walkergate. 

What are the chances that all of these drivers live in that part of the world? There must be some who live say south of the river and are closer to Riverside or even Washington.

On a slightly connected note. I'm aware of at least one Chester driver who chose to move to Consett after the depot closure. The reason? Route familiarity.

An interesting thought. Maybe some are already ex-GNE and couldn’t or wouldn’t go back.

We live firmly in GNE land and I notice more Stagecoach uniforms than GNE uniforms in the school yard.
(25 Sep 2022, 12:28 pm)Chris 1 wrote [ -> ]An interesting thought. Maybe some are already ex-GNE and couldn’t or wouldn’t go back.

We live firmly in GNE land and I notice more Stagecoach uniforms than GNE uniforms in the school yard.

I wonder if it's a case of not wanting to work in your own area? The same way that Police typically work in a different town than the one they live in.
I know someone who recently became a driver and they went with Arriva for that reason.

I know I certainly wouldn't want to bump into people I know, in fact I moved 30 miles away so I wouldn't have to!
(25 Sep 2022, 12:28 pm)Chris 1 wrote [ -> ]An interesting thought. Maybe some are already ex-GNE and couldn’t or wouldn’t go back. 

I'd hazard a guess a proportion will be.

Viewed as disposable, treat like dirt and not likely to go back.
(25 Sep 2022, 1:44 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]I'd hazard a guess a proportion will be.

Viewed as disposable, treat like dirt and not likely to go back.

It could be argued that people are in fact disposable due to the finite shelf-life they have, and will end up back as dirt one day
(25 Sep 2022, 12:40 pm)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]I wonder if it's a case of not wanting to work in your own area? The same way that Police typically work in a different town than the one they live in.
I know someone who recently became a driver and they went with Arriva for that reason.

I know I certainly wouldn't want to bump into people I know, in fact I moved 30 miles away so I wouldn't have to!
I agree, theres probably nothing worse than seeing the people you used to go to school with getting on your bus.
There has been white decals on the rear of buses saying 

"DRIVE THIS BUS" 

I didn't catch the rest of it, but its in smaller right letters, another attempt to get drivers
Well let's hope this recruitment drive is working..
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5