North East Buses

Full Version: Why is it Enthusiasts Refer to Buses as Females?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Question is in the Thread Title, and it is something that I really fail to Understand is why Enthusiasts Refer to Buses as Females.

Surely there is some form of sense behind this I am sure, but on the flip side a Bus has an Exhaust, which to me would in a jokingly manner indicate it does in fact have a "Penis" and would of course be Male, rather than a "Vagina" in which this case may indicate that it's a Hybrid Electric Bus, which I would then sort of understand, But again on the Flip side of Things as a Bus has an Exhaust but is referred to as a Female, would that not make the Bus a "Tranny", in which I would again be confused by this reference by some Enthusiasts.

Someone please clear this up for me....I can sense this going to be a Great Topic of Conversation now isn't it.
It's not just buses. You hear classical car enthusiasts doing the same, or even boat owners.
(25 Apr 2014, 3:26 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote [ -> ]The Question is in the Thread Title, and it is something that I really fail to Understand is why Enthusiasts Refer to Buses as Females.

Surely there is some form of sense behind this I am sure, but on the flip side a Bus has an Exhaust, which to me would in a jokingly manner indicate it does in fact have a "Penis" and would of course be Male, rather than a "Vagina" in which this case may indicate that it's a Hybrid Electric Bus, which I would then sort of understand, But again on the Flip side of Things as a Bus has an Exhaust but is referred to as a Female, would that not make the Bus a "Tranny", in which I would again be confused by this reference by some Enthusiasts.

Someone please clear this up for me....I can sense this going to be a Great Topic of Conversation now isn't it.

This question appeared in the 'GNE - Latest' thread a while back.

Gtom probably provided the most satisfactory answer with this response.

(21 Mar 2014, 9:56 am)gtom wrote [ -> ]There's a bit of debate as to why vessels (planes, boats and seemingly buses) are called her. It's generally accepted for one of the following reasons

1) Ships used to be dedicated to the female in a man's life, going back further in history they were named after ancient goddesses. Whilst in ancient times women were considered to be bad luck to be on board a ship, it is not bad luck to name the ship

2) The less interesting theory is that the word 'ship' was a feminine grammatical term and its simply carried through history. Modern English doesn't have male/feminine terms but those of you who have studied French or German will be will aware of masculine and feminine grammar.

The second theory is probably the most likely reason although, personally, I tend not to genderize vehicles, ships, boats or indeed any other inanimate object.
I am not knocking any of the other suggestions, but adding to the list of theories.
It would be a shame to knock a post dead after a couple of posts.

My own theory is as follows (and like others, may be shot down as a load of tosh):

Traditionally, men designed, constructed, manufactured, assembled, used and serviced ships, cars, aircraft, buses, lorries etc.
The industry was a masculine domain and they were the days when allegedly, men were men.

An inanimate object, made from wood or metal being tended and cared for by a man, possibly needed to be categorised as you wouldn't have a man, tending and caring for another man...
Giving the mode of transport a 'female' name or referring to it as a 'she', could have made the caring and looking after it acceptable.
The crew of a ship going out to see, were proud of their vessel and wanted to show it off to their fellow sailors in the fleet and also the enemy.

It could be a load of tosh, but hey ho.