North East Buses
Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2015 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Arriva North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2015 (/showthread.php?tid=6)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - Jimmi - 11 Jan 2015

(11 Jan 2015, 12:05 am)JoshP I rarely use these services so can't really comment. BUT those darts I have to admit are great on town services. London tired them out and the 7 destroyed them but on the 9/10 they're great and they are better than Solos on the 2/11/12. Hey don't diss MPD's they are my absolute favourites

I hate them Darts as they are knackered, also the space between seats is pitiful and causes pain in my knees, so town services are the best place for them.

Quite like MPDs but never get to ride them. Got to ride 1762 on service 62 Durham - Arnison Centre last week though.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - JoshP - 11 Jan 2015

Nah they're the 2005 modern darts, I really like the old darts, like 1701-1740's MPD's! God I miss them haha! Used to catch them on the 30/31 to and from school and the 22 from town! The old days when busses ran on time and were generally great!

(11 Jan 2015, 12:27 am)JoshP Nah they're the 2005 modern darts, I really like the old darts, like 1701-1740's MPD's! God I miss them haha! Used to catch them on the 30/31 to and from school and the 22 from town! The old days when busses ran on time and were generally great!

Yeah they were great, shame pretty much all of them are gone now and most of the older MPDs in service are second hand and are horrible to ride.

Recently got to ride a Leven Valley MPD around that age and I enjoyed it, pity it was only a short ride from Stockton to Teesside Park.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - Dan - 11 Jan 2015

(10 Jan 2015, 10:52 pm)aureolin I think it's Lolynes or Presidents that have much smaller ones? But I know at least the Chester ones do have them.

With the new ETMs being in since that article was written, I'd be surprised if they haven't taken over the function? Surely capable of syncing with a time server.

Yeah, you're right. The Versas (new 2011 onwards) also have smaller ones.
Think they've been kept for the benefit of passengers - indeed 8306 has the clock behind the drivers cab!

Obviously there's no denying that the articles are now outdated, but it goes to show how Peter Huntley revolutionised transport in the North East. Branding was one of the main things he introduced, and competitors have now 'stolen' ideas from the late Huntley, implementing them in their own bus companies, owing to their successes with Go North East.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - mb134 - 11 Jan 2015

Just had a look on the Arriva live map, to see if my bus looked like it would be on time and I noticed a couple of things. I can't find any X18's that have tracking, and they're all going around in pairs!? Seems pretty strange... 

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - Adrian - 11 Jan 2015

(11 Jan 2015, 1:49 pm)mb134 Just had a look on the Arriva live map, to see if my bus looked like it would be on time and I noticed a couple of things. I can't find any X18's that have tracking, and they're all going around in pairs!? Seems pretty strange... 

I can see that too. Very strange.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - mb134 - 11 Jan 2015

(11 Jan 2015, 1:57 pm)aureolin I can see that too. Very strange.
Well, despite what the app says, they are only running by themselves Wink Also, 7532 arrived a good 5 minutes early into Berwick rail station, maybe this was why it wasn't appearing as tracked on the app.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - upt50k - 11 Jan 2015

(10 Jan 2015, 4:54 pm)MrPottski I don't see what use branding achieves. Outside of the Sapphire and max, most customers don't really care what colour it is, they look at the destination to see if it's the right one. Plus arriva don't tend to stick to correct brand allocation anyway, and then it only gets us lot in a flap when, say, a Sapphire ends up on the X66 or similar. Surely to god, all companies should just go for a clean, well maintained, well presented fleet and cut out the gimmicks. Don't get me wrong, I think Sapphire has worked, especially on the 7, but when you start ending up with a fleet that resembles Josephs Technicolour Dreamboats (I'm looking at you GNE!) then it's just daft. I genuinely don't think Max will attract any more people in Darlington, bit we'll have to wait and see.

I agree and believe growth would still have been achieved on service 7 with 10 new pulsars and most of all a team of drivers who wanted success Service X1 was a success with 4 of the oldest pulsars in the fleet with a minimum of branding but a dedicated team who overcame the challenge of OK!

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - Tommy1581 - 11 Jan 2015

Routes X20/20 are to be upgraded to Max later this year.

7519-7521 will be refurbished to Max specification, leaving no "Interurban" liveried Enviro400s in the Arriva North East fleet.

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - R852 PRG - 11 Jan 2015

(11 Jan 2015, 3:44 pm)upt50k I agree and believe growth would still have been achieved on service 7 with 10 new pulsars and most of all a team of drivers who wanted success Service X1 was a success with 4 of the oldest pulsars in the fleet with a minimum of branding but a dedicated team who overcame the challenge of OK!

The OK Expressway wasn't really a challenge...?

From what I gather, Arriva had the upper hand pretty much all the way through.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - tyresmoke - 11 Jan 2015

(11 Jan 2015, 5:58 pm)MarcTheA4 The OK Expressway wasn't really a challenge...?

From what I gather, Arriva had the upper hand pretty much all the way through.

Don't start Dan off on that one again!....

In answer to questions about the new brand, yes there will be a new brand introduced in the North East based on the high frequency routes. I understand it will just be branding on the standard fleet livery though, not an altogether new livery (like Sapphire or MAX). No doubt it will be picked up by other regions and adopted once again, just as MAX has been.
I believe it is due to be introduced on routes 7, 13A/13B, 15 and 63 to start with, buses on these routes will gain wi-fi and branding shortly.

(11 Jan 2015, 3:44 pm)upt50k I agree and believe growth would still have been achieved on service 7 with 10 new pulsars and most of all a team of drivers who wanted success Service X1 was a success with 4 of the oldest pulsars in the fleet with a minimum of branding but a dedicated team who overcame the challenge of OK!

Then you compare this to the current situation on the Tyne Valley...

Go North East introduced "Tynedalexpress" services X84/X85 following the withdrawal of "OK Expressway" service OK1, using the same vehicles albeit in a different colour, and these services are a commercial success. Granted, service X84 directly replaced service 684 (and hence the market was already established), but service X85 was a completely new service.

Service X84 departs five minutes prior to Arriva's service 685, and Arriva's 685 often leaves Eldon Square with very few passengers as a result. Go North East's X85 departs ten minutes prior to Arriva's competing X85 on evenings, and again, Arriva's X85 leaves with very few passengers as a result.

Branding may have contributed to the success of the "Tynedalexpress" services on the Tyne Valley, but a bus being 5 minutes in front of the 685 is the main reason why these services are so commercially successful... Wasn't this the case up in Bishop Auckland for Arriva, too? Certainly doesn't take a 'dedicated team' to time a service five minutes in front of a service it competes with! Wink 

(11 Jan 2015, 6:08 pm)Dan Then you compare this to the current situation on the Tyne Valley...

Go North East introduced "Tynedalexpress" services X84/X85 following the withdrawal of "OK Expressway" service OK1, using the same vehicles albeit in a different colour, and these services are a commercial success. Granted, service X84 directly replaced service 684 (and hence the market was already established), but service X85 was a completely new service.

Service X84 departs five minutes prior to Arriva's service 685, and Arriva's 685 often leaves Eldon Square with very few passengers as a result. Go North East's X85 departs ten minutes prior to Arriva's competing X85 on evenings, and again, Arriva's X85 leaves with very few passengers as a result.

Branding may have contributed to the success of the "Tynedalexpress" services on the Tyne Valley, but a bus being 5 minutes in front of the 685 is the main reason why these services are so commercially successful... Wasn't this the case up in Bishop Auckland for Arriva, too? Certainly doesn't take a 'dedicated team' to time a service five minutes in front of a service it competes with! Wink 

Yeah I believe for most of the OK1s existence the X1 was 5-10 minutes in front. The OK1 also had to compete with the 6 between Bishop Auckland and West Auckland running every 12 minutes.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - Kuyoyo - 11 Jan 2015

(11 Jan 2015, 6:08 pm)Dan Then you compare this to the current situation on the Tyne Valley...

More a day ticket that could be used all day (as it's also valid on 1/1b) plus for the fare paying passengers, a guaranteed daily service from the provider helped more than merely being timed 5 minutes in front.

(11 Jan 2015, 6:17 pm)Kuyoyo More a day ticket that could be used all day (as it's also valid on 1/1b) plus for the fare paying passengers, a guaranteed daily service from the provider helped more than merely being timed 5 minutes in front.

The majority of customers on the X1 were (and possibly still are) OAPs. The reason the X1 got these passengers was because the X1 was timed five minutes in front, and this was therefore the main reason why the X1 was successful.

Arriva had the upper-hand with the onward connections in Darlington, which is why they had more fare-paying customers anyway... Go North East got the ones who could come in on a Go North East bus into Bishop Auckland, and the ones who wanted a direct bus to Middlesbrough, but that was it.

(11 Jan 2015, 6:21 pm)Dan The majority of customers on the X1 were (and possibly still are) OAPs. The reason the X1 got these passengers was because the X1 was timed five minutes in front, and this was therefore the main reason why the X1 was successful.

Arriva had the upper-hand with the onward connections in Darlington, which is why they had more fare-paying customers anyway... Go North East got the ones who could come in on a Go North East bus into Bishop Auckland, and the ones who wanted a direct bus to Middlesbrough.

The Middlesbrough bound OK1's left Darlington and Middlesbrough 5 minutes in front of the X66 but it wasn't a success.

There is a fair amount of fare paying custom on the X1 now, or at least there has been when I've been on it.

Like you say Arriva has many connections in Darlington which didn't help the OK1 as it had none in Darlington.

(11 Jan 2015, 6:29 pm)Jimmi The Middlesbrough bound OK1's left Darlington and Middlesbrough 5 minutes in front of the X66 but it wasn't a success.

There is a fair amount of fare paying custom on the X1 now, or at least there has been when I've been on it.

Like you say Arriva has many connections in Darlington which didn't help the OK1 as it had none in Darlington.

See, I'd suggest otherwise.

I don't profess to have been a regular traveller on the OK1, but whenever I used/photographed it, it had a relatively full bus consisting of OAPs and the odd fare-paying passenger who was going all the way back to Bishop Auckland (few and far between).

The X66 had the upper-hand with the Darlington - Middlesbrough stretch because it was much more frequent than the hourly OK1, and again, onward connections at both ends attracted more fare-paying customers.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - Tom - 11 Jan 2015

(11 Jan 2015, 6:29 pm)Jimmi The Middlesbrough bound OK1's left Darlington and Middlesbrough 5 minutes in front of the X66 but it wasn't a success.

The couple of times I saw the OK1 in Middlesbrough it had some good passenger numbers.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - Kuyoyo - 11 Jan 2015

(11 Jan 2015, 6:21 pm)Dan The majority of customers on the X1 were (and possibly still are) OAPs. The reason the X1 got these passengers was because the X1 was timed five minutes in front, and this was therefore the main reason why the X1 was successful.

Arriva had the upper-hand with the onward connections in Darlington, which is why they had more fare-paying customers anyway... Go North East got the ones who could come in on a Go North East bus into Bishop Auckland, and the ones who wanted a direct bus to Middlesbrough.

If the X1 if mostly OAPs - explain why it's getting new buses rather than just simply refurbishing its present allocation for its 'MAX' upgrade? The X1 is now the premier service from the Wear Valley into Darlington since they extended it to Tow Law and cut the 1 back to Bishop Auckland during the day.

(11 Jan 2015, 6:33 pm)Kuyoyo If the X1 if mostly OAPs - explain why it's getting new buses rather than just simply refurbishing its present allocation for its 'MAX' upgrade? The X1 is now the premier service from the Wear Valley into Darlington since they extended it to Tow Law and cut the 1 back to Bishop Auckland during the day.

I don't think this provides any justice to the point you're making though. Let me turn the question around and let you answer it - why are these new buses coming now, and not when the OK1 was operational?