You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2015

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2015

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion
(09 Jan 2015, 6:08 pm)Tom wrote A X1 day saver is £4.30 - this will give you unlimited travel on the X1 from Darlington to Bishop Auckland Smile

Thanks! Smile
When the ex P&R solos enter service, what branding for the 13a/b will they carry? I hope it's not the old Pink 'Firth Moor Flyer'. I think these solos would be more suited to the 4, 3 & 19
(10 Jan 2015, 11:33 am)JoshP wrote When the ex P&R solos enter service, what branding for the 13a/b will they carry? I hope it's not the old Pink 'Firth Moor Flyer'. I think these solos would be more suited to the 4, 3 & 19

Apparently it won't be the old pink "Firth Moor Flyer" branding.

It was mentioned on here about some branding style but I can't remember what it was. Could be something similar to service 15 in Stockton?

I do think that the ex P&R Solos could be a squeeze for space on the 13A/B also it will mean the slightly larger Solos will have to do the likes of the 3/19.
(10 Jan 2015, 2:48 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Rode 1320 on the 64 today.

Brilliant bus, but I'm not 100% sure they needed to give these Enviro200s the extras (sockets, leather seating, etc). I mean, it's a local service, and from my experience, 75% of the passengers are OAPs.

You forgot the New College Durham students and Framwellgate school kids who use this service.

I was very surprised to see that they had power sockets. All new / refurbished Arriva buses will now have e-leather seating.
Wish Arriva had given all the WiFi networks different names as I tried to connect to the WiFi on MAX 4657 and I ended up with Sapphire WiFi instead.

Managed to get the correct WiFi once we got away from Middlesbrough Bus Station and I am using it now.
Site Administrator
685 from Carlisle arriving into Hexham at 1527 with 1 passenger, and leaving with 2.

Neither of us are single fares...

Honestly don't know how Arriva can afford to keep this service going.
Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion
(10 Jan 2015, 3:20 pm)Jimmi wrote You forgot the New College Durham students and Framwellgate school kids who use this service.

I was very surprised to see that they had power sockets. All new / refurbished Arriva buses will now have e-leather seating.

Oh, that explains it! I've only ever rode the 64 during the middle of the day, on weekends or during holidays. Wink
I don't see what use branding achieves. Outside of the Sapphire and max, most customers don't really care what colour it is, they look at the destination to see if it's the right one. Plus arriva don't tend to stick to correct brand allocation anyway, and then it only gets us lot in a flap when, say, a Sapphire ends up on the X66 or similar. Surely to god, all companies should just go for a clean, well maintained, well presented fleet and cut out the gimmicks. Don't get me wrong, I think Sapphire has worked, especially on the 7, but when you start ending up with a fleet that resembles Josephs Technicolour Dreamboats (I'm looking at you GNE!) then it's just daft. I genuinely don't think Max will attract any more people in Darlington, bit we'll have to wait and see.
(10 Jan 2015, 4:54 pm)MrPottski wrote I don't see what use branding achieves. Outside of the Sapphire and max, most customers don't really care what colour it is, they look at the destination to see if it's the right one. Plus arriva don't tend to stick to correct brand allocation anyway, and then it only gets us lot in a flap when, say, a Sapphire ends up on the X66 or similar. Surely to god, all companies should just go for a clean, well maintained, well presented fleet and cut out the gimmicks. Don't get me wrong, I think Sapphire has worked, especially on the 7, but when you start ending up with a fleet that resembles Josephs Technicolour Dreamboats (I'm looking at you GNE!) then it's just daft. I genuinely don't think Max will attract any more people in Darlington, bit we'll have to wait and see.

I think branding was introduced to help people distinguish one route from another.

For example, if I was a poor-sighted pensioner at Gateshead Interchange, and I was used to seeing a red, blue and yellow bus on the 21, like on all routes - I would be able to see a bright pink bus coming from a distance, rather than have to check the destination when it got close.
(10 Jan 2015, 4:54 pm)MrPottski wrote I don't see what use branding achieves. Outside of the Sapphire and max, most customers don't really care what colour it is, they look at the destination to see if it's the right one. Plus arriva don't tend to stick to correct brand allocation anyway, and then it only gets us lot in a flap when, say, a Sapphire ends up on the X66 or similar. Surely to god, all companies should just go for a clean, well maintained, well presented fleet and cut out the gimmicks. Don't get me wrong, I think Sapphire has worked, especially on the 7, but when you start ending up with a fleet that resembles Josephs Technicolour Dreamboats (I'm looking at you GNE!) then it's just daft. I genuinely don't think Max will attract any more people in Darlington, bit we'll have to wait and see.

You don't see what branding achieves? Look at something like Ibuprofen for an example. Most supermarkets sell their own branded product for 30p, yet people will still buy Neurofen for £3. Why? Brand name, and the packaging makes it look like a premium product. 
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Both those articles are dated the 3rd July 2006? Peter Huntley died in a climbing accident in the Lake District in 2012.

I'm guessing the money back guarantee and the atomic clocks in the buses didn't work out... Certainly not ideas that Arriva have decided to pick up on. Giving money back to bus passengers is probably far too complicated to be practical, what about day tickets, returns, weekly tickets, cross operator tickets etc... Not to mention the guy doing the refunding is already at least 10 minutes late before having to start filling out forms and arguing with passengers.
(10 Jan 2015, 10:13 pm)passenger_10 wrote Both those articles are dated the 3rd July 2006? Peter Huntley died in a climbing accident in the Lake District in 2012.

I'm guessing the money back guarantee and the atomic clocks in the buses didn't work out... Certainly not ideas that Arriva have decided to pick up on. Giving money back to bus passengers is probably far too complicated to be practical, what about day tickets, returns, weekly tickets, cross operator tickets etc... Not to mention the guy doing the refunding is already at least 10 minutes late before having to start filling out forms and arguing with passengers.

GNE vehicles are fitted with clocks.
(10 Jan 2015, 10:22 pm)citaro5284 wrote GNE vehicles are fitted with clocks.

Those grey clocks which are at the front of the bus just by the doors? I have noticed a few Lolynes and Presidents that dont have them.
(10 Jan 2015, 10:23 pm)Robert wrote Those grey clocks which are at the front of the bus just by the doors? I have noticed a few Lolynes and Presidents that dont have them.

Well that shows how much attention I pay on the rare occasions I travel on GNE buses! 
(10 Jan 2015, 10:13 pm)passenger_10 wrote Both those articles are dated the 3rd July 2006? Peter Huntley died in a climbing accident in the Lake District in 2012.

But they do give passengers their money back? I was stuck on the A1 once, due to a breakdown on the 50. GNE added a new day ticket to my key card as means of an apology. That's not the first time they have either, and I've regularly received free day tickets, when I've had to write in. Agree that it's impractical to give cash back there and then though.

(10 Jan 2015, 10:23 pm)Robert wrote Those grey clocks which are at the front of the bus just by the doors? I have noticed a few Lolynes and Presidents that dont have them.

I think it's Lolynes or Presidents that have much smaller ones? But I know at least the Chester ones do have them.

With the new ETMs being in since that article was written, I'd be surprised if they haven't taken over the function? Surely capable of syncing with a time server.
(10 Jan 2015, 10:53 pm)Jimmi wrote The other day I said the announcements on the 1/5/5A were too loud, today I could barely hear them.

Would go with what tyresmoke was saying, about drivers having the ability to turn them down. It causes problems when there's no consistency.
(10 Jan 2015, 10:52 pm)aureolin wrote But they do give passengers their money back? I was stuck on the A1 once, due to a breakdown on the 50. GNE added a new day ticket to my key card as means of an apology. That's not the first time they have either, and I've regularly received free day tickets, when I've had to write in. Agree that it's impractical to give cash back there and then though.

I think it's Lolynes or Presidents that have much smaller ones? But I know at least the Chester ones do have them.

With the new ETMs being in since that article was written, I'd be surprised if they haven't taken over the function? Surely capable of syncing with a time server.

I was almost going to question Mr. Stephenson's post about the Lolynes and Presidents not having them, then realised I've only sampled a handful up at Stanley, where he would most likely see them, whereas I've rode all of the ones at Chester and seen clocks on all as far as I can remember. lol
(10 Jan 2015, 11:50 am)Jimmi wrote Apparently it won't be the old pink "Firth Moor Flyer" branding.

It was mentioned on here about some branding style but I can't remember what it was. Could be something similar to service 15 in Stockton?

I do think that the ex P&R Solos could be a squeeze for space on the 13A/B also it will mean the slightly larger Solos will have to do the likes of the 3/19.

Cool so you have more info on this branding!? Will all the ex P&R solos be on the 13a/b?

I think the 2/11 should have a joint branding then the 12 has its own. 

I also think branding is a great thing! It makes the journey more personal. Town and out of town services could be branded, such as the 1, 5, 3, 19, 4, 75/76. But not the old pathetic branding that was applied a few years back. 
In Response to busses used on certain routes etc. I am a great lover of MPD's. They are ver well suited to the 3/19 and even the 4. It will be a great loss to services in my opinion as Solos's are boring and have no special loks or features. I grew up with darts, and I hope 1711/12/24 and 47, the original remaining darts at Darlo, hang on as long as possible!! I went to school and college on these 'Boxes on Wheels' and they hold great memories. I hope to buy one, one day! Restore it and use it to maximum effect.
(10 Jan 2015, 11:06 pm)JoshP wrote Cool so you have more info on this branding!? Will all the ex P&R solos be on the 13a/b?

I think the 2/11 should have a joint branding then the 12 has its own. 

I also think branding is a great thing! It makes the journey more personal. Town and out of town services could be branded, such as the 1, 5, 3, 19, 4, 75/76. But not the old pathetic branding that was applied a few years back. 

I don't really know any info on the branding, there was a post on here the other day that said something about them getting branding for the 13a/13b, I'm on mobile right now so can't find the post stating this.

There is not much more you can brand at Darlington as the 1/5/5A interwork, the 3/19 interwork too also there is not enough EcoCitys for the 2/11/12/12A since the 21/X21 started using EcoCitys too.
(10 Jan 2015, 11:16 pm)Jimmi wrote I don't really know any info on the branding, there was a post on here the other day that said something about them getting branding for the 13a/13b, I'm on mobile right now so can't find the post stating this.

There is not much more you can brand at Darlington as the 1/5/5A interwork, the 3/19 interwork too also there is not enough EcoCitys for the 2/11/12/12A since the 21/X21 started using EcoCitys too.

I genuinely can't believe the state the 2/11/12 have become. The fact Arriva are taking an EcoCity off the 12, but everyday I see at least 2/3 Solos on the 2 and 11 it makes me wonder where the hell the EcoCities are. I reiterate my point from last year, purchase one more EcoCity and then the 12,11,2 and 21 are all fully EcoCity operated. It's beyond a joke that me and others are crammed on a number 2 Solo at afternoon peak time and struggle to disembark because of passenger numbers. 
(10 Jan 2015, 11:31 pm)JoshP wrote I genuinely can't believe the state the 2/11/12 have become. The fact Arriva are taking an EcoCity off the 12, but everyday I see at least 2/3 Solos on the 2 and 11 it makes me wonder where the hell the EcoCities are. I reiterate my point from last year, purchase one more EcoCity and then the 12,11,2 and 21 are all fully EcoCity operated. It's beyond a joke that me and others are crammed on a number 2 Solo at afternoon peak time and struggle to disembark because of passenger numbers. 

I know its stupid on Thursday there was at least two Solos on the 12/12A and one on the 11.

I'm experiencing the same problem with the 5/5A, since the Darts have departed and lost 1410 & 1424 in exchange for two Omnicitys for MAX X26/X27 & X66 the 1/5/5A has had at least one Solo on every day, mind allocating a Pulsar to the 75/76 doesn't help. Also the X reg Darts are totally useless the 8/8A has had at least one MPD or Solo each day as they are so unreliable.
(10 Jan 2015, 11:39 pm)IJimmi wrote I know its stupid on Thursday there was at least two Solos on the 12/12A and one on the 11.

I'm experiencing the same problem with the 5/5A, since the Darts have departed and lost 1410 & 1424 in exchange for two Omnicitys for MAX X26/X27 & X66 the 1/5/5A has had at least one Solo on every day, mind allocating a Pulsar to the 75/76 doesn't help. Also the X reg Darts are totally useless the 8/8A has had at least one MPD or Solo each day as they are so unreliable.

I rarely use these services so can't really comment. BUT those darts I have to admit are great on town services. London tired them out and the 7 destroyed them but on the 9/10 they're great and they are better than Solos on the 2/11/12. Hey don't diss MPD's they are my absolute favourites