North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2013 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2013 (/showthread.php?tid=1246)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

RE: Go North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 21 Aug 2013

(21 Aug 2013, 3:03 pm)gtomlinson wrote Maybe its relative perception, like how Waggonway pax will soon feel a 12 year old Solar is luxury

Possibly, but a Daf and Solar are two different vehicles, from different manufacturers, from different centuries.
The only difference (as far as I'm aware) between the deckers used on the x1 and 21, is the engine.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Wellsey18 - 21 Aug 2013

The one slight problem i have with both the gne and ane hybrids are the way they change gear, bit shunty

RE: Go North East - Latest - CatsFast101 - 21 Aug 2013

This is on the news article for the Great Park X40

'Our Blue Zone Buzzfare day ticket allows unlimited travel on any Go North East service within the Blue Zone, including the X40/40A, for just £3.40.'

Blue zone Buzzfare for £3.40?!

RE: Go North East - Latest - legend - 21 Aug 2013

Prepare for another 56 moan:
I'm and 4936 on its nine minute late departure from Sunderland and I have done issues. Firstly, somebody has stolen the used ticket bin but the passengers have just been leaving their tickets where it was because it says used tickets please... I'm hoping for some heavy breaking between Donwell and Wrekenton so we should see those tickets fly further than a new Boeing 787-8 (aviation humour, wrong thread, sorry). Secondly the side blind has malfunctioned and is stuck on Not In Service. Thirdly, the newspaper box is on the different side of the bus to all of the others. Fourthly, I've just been overtaken! Fifthly, there were three fabs at Park Lane when I left, proving that services cannot keep there time. Sixthly, (at Donwell, tickets have painted floor) there is a Fast Cats (or Cats Fast) on the 56 at Concord! Seventhly, 8234 is right behind it, two buses off the road and one of them is late. Eighthly, some youths on BMX bikes have just thrown some stones at the bus and the driver has just announced that the CCTV on this is not working, where is justice? I'll tell you!!! Justice is the lads from Nissan on the back seats hurling some abusive hand gestures at them! Hoorah! Which brings me to ninethly, why is there a huge gap between seat and backrest on the back seats? It bypasses all immensity of logic and sense!!! I DEMAND BETTER BUSES, A BETTER SCHEDULE, AND AN EXPRESS BECAUSE THIS TAKES FOREVER TO GET TO WREKENTON... Jeez!

RE: Go North East - Latest - Wellsey18 - 21 Aug 2013

The one slight problem i have with both the gne and ane hybrids are the way they change gear, bit shunty

RE: Go North East - Latest - Michael - 21 Aug 2013

(21 Aug 2013, 3:37 pm)the pilot wrote Prepare for another 56 moan:
I'm and 4936 on its nine minute late departure from Sunderland and I have done issues. Firstly, somebody has stolen the used ticket bin but the passengers have just been leaving their tickets where it was because it says used tickets please... I'm hoping for some heavy breaking between Donwell and Wrekenton so we should see those tickets fly further than a new Boeing 787-8 (aviation humour, wrong thread, sorry). Secondly the side blind has malfunctioned and is stuck on Not In Service. Thirdly, the newspaper box is on the different side of the bus to all of the others. Fourthly, I've just been overtaken! Fifthly, there were three fabs at Park Lane when I left, proving that services cannot keep there time. Sixthly, (at Donwell, tickets have painted floor) there is a Fast Cats (or Cats Fast) on the 56 at Concord! Seventhly, 8234 is right behind it, two buses off the road and one of them is late. Eighthly, some youths on BMX bikes have just thrown some stones at the bus and the driver has just announced that the CCTV on this is not working, where is justice? I'll tell you!!! Justice is the lads from Nissan on the back seats hurling some abusive hand gestures at them! Hoorah! Which brings me to ninethly, why is there a huge gap between seat and backrest on the back seats? It bypasses all immensity of logic and sense!!! I DEMAND BETTER BUSES, A BETTER SCHEDULE, AND AN EXPRESS BECAUSE THIS TAKES FOREVER TO GET TO WREKENTON... Jeez!

Some1 asked on FB and they said 2 had broken down... when i was in park lane at about 12ish.. their was 3 parked up, 2 in sidings and 1 at stand.

(21 Aug 2013, 3:59 pm)Rob wrote Better buses = Check
Better schedule = Layover could be increased, but then you have the problem of buses queuing to get to a stand at either end of the route all day, every day. Alternative is to reduce the frequency, so does a bus every 15 minutes suit you better?
Express = Is there really demand for an express between Wrekenton and Sunderland?

A bus every fifteen minutes suits me better because that way I am more likely to turn up in time for the bus and for it to then turn upon time, however, I doubt many would agree with me. In most cases, the 56 is their only bus to Newcastle, or Sunderland (depending on location) and in that case, the ten minute frequency is much better. If you were to take the Seven Stars at Wrekenton as an example, you may recall that at one time the stop was served by a fifteen minutely 56, a 725 (which I believe became a 25? prior to being the X25) and the 28. Today it is only the 56 and the hourly 28. It would seem to me that the 56 could be run as an acceptable 15 minutely service in this area if the X25 was no longer run as an express. It is only an express between Wrekenton and Newcastle, unnecessary considering that the X1 does that every ten minutes! An increase in layover, like you say has the issue of queuing for stands, however, that is only really an issue is Newcastle. If the service was extended to serve Newcastle Eldon Sq, or Haymarket bus station, however calling at Pilgrim St and then down to New Bridge St, to maintain a link to that area of Newcastle City Centre, you would solve that problem because in that case there is a siding for the buses to wait in and a stand for set down (although at Sunderland that just means dropping passengers at an empty stand). As far as an express is concerned, not between Sunderland and Wrekenton, however between Sunderland and Newcastle there is. Back in the days of the X2 it was a great way to get between Sunderland, Washington Galleries, Wrekenton, Gateshead, and Newcastle... you could even include Concord as a stop, if you should so desire. I always recall that route as being a nigh on a full bus if not actually full. Smile

RE: Go North East - Latest - gtom - 21 Aug 2013

(21 Aug 2013, 3:59 pm)Rob wrote Better buses = Check
Better schedule = Layover could be increased, but then you have the problem of buses queuing to get to a stand at either end of the route all day, every day. Alternative is to reduce the frequency, so does a bus every 15 minutes suit you better?
Express = Is there really demand for an express between Wrekenton and Sunderland?

It never ceases to amaze me how many buses serve Wrekenton, I can only assume its pure luck that its on the way to Washington/Sunderland and near a major hospital

RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 21 Aug 2013

Why was the X2 withdrawn?

RE: Go North East - Latest - BJ10VUS - 21 Aug 2013

(21 Aug 2013, 3:37 pm)the pilot wrote Thirdly, the newspaper box is on the different side of the bus to all of the others. Fourthly, I've just been overtaken!

Does it really matter which side the newspaper box is on? Also, the Washington bound 'M' services regularly get overtaken on the road between Follingsby Roundabout and Usworth College - it's a bus, not a Ferrari?

I agree that the 56 suffers from problems with timekeeping, but it's to be expected from a longer distance route that serves two city centres - especially during peak hours.

The Solars are sound vehicles most of the time and while the route could do with some bigger vehicles, they're hardly unpleasant.

The mess from tickets on the floor thing is hardly a reason for Go North East to invest in new buses for the route and also has nothing to do with the speed/reliability of the route - it just shows that some of the passengers have no respect for the buses they currently use by leaving mess.

(21 Aug 2013, 4:45 pm)Daniel wrote Why was the X2 withdrawn?

To increase day ticket sales? To force people onto the 8 or 56?
Certainly wasn't because of low numbers, as stated above, it always carried good loads.

The route still exists (proving there is demand along the route), you just have to get an 8 and X1, rather than one bus for the entire journey.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Michael - 21 Aug 2013

If they would drop the frequency, i think bigger buses would be needed, sometimes they run full, peak times mostly, dropping the frequency, could decker's be ran on a 12/15 min frequency.

(21 Aug 2013, 4:48 pm)Andreos1 wrote To increase day ticket sales? To force people onto the 8 or 56?
Certainly wasn't because of low numbers, as stated above, it always carried good loads.

The route still exists (proving there is demand along the route), you just have to get an 8 and X1, rather than one bus for the entire journey.

Perhaps I should have worded that differently... What was GNE's reasoning for withdrawing it (ie what did they say in the news article)?

(21 Aug 2013, 4:52 pm)Daniel wrote Perhaps I should have worded that differently... What was GNE's reasoning for withdrawing it (ie what did they say in the news article)?

I've went on the web archive website and found this. They don't provide a great explanation, in my opinion.

"This service will be replaced by Lime service 8 between Washington and Sunderland with an identical route and frequency, and by service X1 between Newcastle and Washington, also on an identical route and frequency. Customers for Waterview Park, see Lime service 8."

(21 Aug 2013, 4:52 pm)Daniel wrote Perhaps I should have worded that differently... What was GNE's reasoning for withdrawing it (ie what did they say in the news article)?

Not sure to be honest, it might be on that time machine website that people keep putting links up from.

RE: Go North East - Latest - big mac - 21 Aug 2013

(21 Aug 2013, 4:42 pm)the pilot wrote If you were to take the Seven Stars at Wrekenton as an example, you may recall that at one time the stop was served by a fifteen minutely 56, a 725 (which I believe became a 25? prior to being the X25) and the 28. Today it is only the 56 and the hourly 28. It would seem to me that the 56 could be run as an acceptable 15 minutely service in this area if the X25 was no longer run as an express.

I've never understood why the Chester-le-Street based services that serve Old Durham Road can't just serve all the stops between Gateshead and Wrekenton. What difference will it really make to the timing?

(21 Aug 2013, 5:12 pm)big mac wrote I've never understood why the Chester-le-Street based services that serve Old Durham Road can't just serve all the stops between Gateshead and Wrekenton. What difference will it really make to the timing?

I think it could add quite a bit of extra time if the services were to stop at extra bus stops on Durham Road. The 56 and 57 already suffer quite badly from having to stop when the services are busy - it takes more time than you think, especially when people don't have their money ready etc.

(21 Aug 2013, 5:12 pm)Andreos1 wrote Not sure to be honest, it might be on that time machine website that people keep putting links up from.

I used the 'time machine' website to get the information I provided above Tongue

RE: Go North East - Latest - DanPicken - 21 Aug 2013

http://web.archive.org/web/20100421101606/http://www.simplygo.com/view-all-timetables/?

this go's as far back for timetables as april 2010

(21 Aug 2013, 5:20 pm)BJ10VUS wrote I think it could add quite a bit of extra time if the services were to stop at extra bus stops on Durham Road. The 56 and 57 already suffer quite badly from having to stop when the services are busy - it takes more time than you think, especially when people don't have their money ready etc.

I used the 'time machine' website to get the information I provided above Tongue

Ah didn't see your reply.
Thought I had pressed the submit button, realised I hadn't and on checking, you had already given the answer, all be it the full one! :p

(21 Aug 2013, 5:52 pm)Andreos1 wrote Ah didn't see your reply.
Thought I had pressed the submit button, realised I hadn't and on checking, you had already given the answer, all be it the full one! :p

No worries! Smile

RE: Go North East - Latest - big mac - 21 Aug 2013

(21 Aug 2013, 5:20 pm)BJ10VUS wrote I think it could add quite a bit of extra time if the services were to stop at extra bus stops on Durham Road. The 56 and 57 already suffer quite badly from having to stop when the services are busy - it takes more time than you think, especially when people don't have their money ready etc.

It would possibly relieve the pressure on the 56 and 57 if people stood at all the bus stops on Old Durham Road had another option. People pile on the 56 and 57 because services like the 28 have already been past and don't stop, so they've got psuedo-express services like the 28 using the road but not serving them.

This has been something that they've done on Old Durham Road on Chester based services for donkey's years. If the theory is that those 723 and 724 etc. managed to serve all of the stops on Durham Road with no real issues?

(21 Aug 2013, 4:47 pm)BJ10VUS wrote Does it really matter which side the newspaper box is on? Also, the Washington bound 'M' services regularly get overtaken on the road between Follingsby Roundabout and Usworth College - it's a bus, not a Ferrari?

I agree that the 56 suffers from problems with timekeeping, but it's to be expected from a longer distance route that serves two city centres - especially during peak hours.

The Solars are sound vehicles most of the time and while the route could do with some bigger vehicles, they're hardly unpleasant.

The mess from tickets on the floor thing is hardly a reason for Go North East to invest in new buses for the route and also has nothing to do with the speed/reliability of the route - it just shows that some of the passengers have no respect for the buses they currently use by leaving mess.

Overtaken by another 56... not a car.
The tickets on the floor are a product of a missing used ticket bin with a sign saying used tickets here.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Adrian - 21 Aug 2013

(21 Aug 2013, 1:37 pm)Wellsey18 wrote what more were you expecting heated seats? Seats that fold into beds? At the end of the day its still a bus and its more how technologically it is different and these buses could be the start of a new revolution of buses and how they are built in the future, these are probably the best buses in the fleet the same with arrivas as well

I was expecting heated seats actually. It'd certainly avoid having to defrost yourself in the microwave after a winter commute to work. Similarly in the summer, it would be cool if they had refrigerated seats. Just to compete sitting on a bus in scorching conditions with the heating on full pelt! Aside from that, it'd be good if they put hammocks between the handrails over the buggy bay? Sleeper service would work well on the N21! Rolleyes

All jest aside.. I really like the Hybrids. The Gemini 2s are probably my favourite vehicle (NBFL aside). I'd like to see GNE put some information out a year on, just to show the difference between the two different periods in terms of mileage and fuel economy.

(21 Aug 2013, 6:07 pm)the pilot wrote Overtaken by another 56... not a car.
The tickets on the floor are a product of a missing used ticket bin with a sign saying used tickets here.

Oh right, thought you meant a car - sorry.

Still though, it's hardly GNEs fault that customers have decided to make a mess through laziness.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Malarkey - 21 Aug 2013

(21 Aug 2013, 4:15 pm)Michael wrote Some1 asked on FB and they said 2 had broken down... when i was in park lane at about 12ish.. their was 3 parked up, 2 in sidings and 1 at stand.

With regards to the 56, I can confirm 3 were parked up at luchtime, one of which had broke down, something to do with the rear wheels, as at one side they fully sticking out compared to what they should, a Fast Cats was put on in between but I was photographing 628 on Short 39's, but I did catch up with the Fast Cats at 17:15 on the 56 at Park Lane, in which that also broke down also.

(21 Aug 2013, 4:48 pm)Andreos1 wrote To increase day ticket sales? To force people onto the 8 or 56?

It was replaced by the re-introduction of the Lime 8 between Washington and Sunderland, along with the 2A/2C which combined gave a greatly increased frequency.

Sunderland Connect 628 on Short 39
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarkey/9566396256/

Fast Cats 4951 on FAB56
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarkey/9566396838/

Centurion 5151 on the 9
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarkey/9566397244/

Northern Vyking 3979 on the 26A
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarkey/9563606061/

What's odd about the Vyking on 26A?
Nice to know she has returned to service nevertheless.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Adrian - 21 Aug 2013

(21 Aug 2013, 7:55 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote It was replaced by the re-introduction of the Lime 8 between Washington and Sunderland, along with the 2A/2C which combined gave a greatly increased frequency.

I'm afraid I disagree with that. Looking at circa 2003/2004, I've found the following info:

Galleries to Sunderland. 7 buses an hour.
X2 - 12 mins past the hour
185 - 17 mins past the hour
X8 - 25 mins past the hour
X4 - 37 mins past the hour
186 - 42 mins past the hour
638 - 48 mins past the hour
X6 - 55 mins past the hour

Source

Galleries to Newcastle. 5 buses an hour.
X2 - 9 mins past the hour
X90 - 23 mins past the hour
X4 - 34 mins past the hour
X5 - 44 mins past the hour
X94 - 55 mins past the hour

Source

Compared to now. You've got 6 2A/2C buses to Sunderland an hour, and 2 8's in addition. A total of 8 an hour. Newcastle has 6 X1's an hour. I wouldn't say removal of choice for the addition of one bus an hour each way is an improvement?

(21 Aug 2013, 8:43 pm)aureolin wrote I'm afraid I disagree with that. Looking at circa 2003/2004, I've found the following info:

Galleries to Sunderland. 7 buses an hour.
X2 - 12 mins past the hour
185 - 17 mins past the hour
X8 - 25 mins past the hour
X4 - 37 mins past the hour
186 - 42 mins past the hour
638 - 48 mins past the hour
X6 - 55 mins past the hour

Source

Galleries to Newcastle. 5 buses an hour.
X2 - 9 mins past the hour
X90 - 23 mins past the hour
X4 - 34 mins past the hour
X5 - 44 mins past the hour
X94 - 55 mins past the hour

Source

Compared to now. You've got 6 2A/2C buses to Sunderland an hour, and 2 8's in addition. A total of 8 an hour. Newcastle has 6 X1's an hour. I wouldn't say removal of choice for the addition of one bus an hour each way is an improvement?

And you have the 73 also, but yeah looking at that there isn't much of an improvement, tbf though I forgot about most of those services mentioned i.e. 186 it's been that long.