Menu

Pages (2)    1 2
mb134   25 Jul 2021, 10:28 pm
(25 Jul 2021, 8:23 pm)Rapidsnap wrote Always someone to spoil it for the rest of us.

Ultimately regardless of how many times organisers/companies/individuals ask, a small handful of 'enthusiasts' will behave like this anyway. 

The thing is, they're so small-minded that they don't see the damage they do to the enthusiast-organiser/company/individual relationship - or the potential physical damage that they *could* do. All it would take is for there to be an oversight in the planning and something be parked on a slight gradient, and for them to manage to release the parking brake.

It'll get to the point that vehicles have to be attended by staff, in this instance, at all times - at which point I'd imagine there'd be serious questions as to whether the open day is even worth having. Harder again for individual preservationists - leave their bus for lunch, return to find some arrogant little sods on it/find it careering through the parking lot.
Train8261   25 Jul 2021, 10:39 pm
About 1pm. Gne staff stopped everyone from going in the cab of the X Lines as it look like they did something to the X85 one
Adrian   25 Jul 2021, 11:10 pm
(25 Jul 2021, 10:28 pm)mb134 wrote Ultimately regardless of how many times organisers/companies/individuals ask, a small handful of 'enthusiasts' will behave like this anyway. 

The thing is, they're so small-minded that they don't see the damage they do to the enthusiast-organiser/company/individual relationship - or the potential physical damage that they *could* do. All it would take is for there to be an oversight in the planning and something be parked on a slight gradient, and for them to manage to release the parking brake.

It'll get to the point that vehicles have to be attended by staff, in this instance, at all times - at which point I'd imagine there'd be serious questions as to whether the open day is even worth having. Harder again for individual preservationists - leave their bus for lunch, return to find some arrogant little sods on it/find it careering through the parking lot.

They're not 'enthusiasts' - or at least I'd like to think that actual enthusiasts wouldn't try and wreck access to their own hobby.

To be honest, I'd say its not worth GNE or any other company hosting open access days to their depots, unless they've got proper SIA holder security for the event. They shouldn't have to, but you can't afford not to when opening up to the general public nowadays.

Its a shame the article has been taken down. The more people who circulate descriptions and photos, the better.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
streetdeckfan   25 Jul 2021, 11:18 pm
(25 Jul 2021, 11:10 pm)Adrian wrote They're not 'enthusiasts' - or at least I'd like to think that actual enthusiasts wouldn't try and wreck access to their own hobby.

To be honest, I'd say its not worth GNE or any other company hosting open access days to their depots, unless they've got proper SIA holder security for the event. They shouldn't have to, but you can't afford not to when opening up to the general public nowadays.

Its a shame the article has been taken down. The more people who circulate descriptions and photos, the better.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I managed to open it before it was deleted, and there was a comment from the page saying they had been identified and were asking people to tag their parents so they could see.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
6049   27 Jul 2021, 12:11 am
The volunteer staff had dumped the air on all the buses upon opening, the notable incident was when one enthusiast started the diamond and had engaged reverse before he was caught in the act. They then went round and isolated everything but there was still a few attempts made to start them.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
OrangeArrow49   27 Jul 2021, 12:21 am
(27 Jul 2021, 12:11 am)6049 wrote The volunteer staff had dumped the air on all the buses upon opening, the notable incident was when one enthusiast started the diamond and had engaged reverse before he was caught in the act. They then went round and isolated everything but there was still a few attempts made to start them.

Why did they start the Diamond and engage reverse? How did they get caught in the act? Any ideas about the X84/X85 bus incident mentioned on here previously, something happened to it?

Some people do some rather stupid things.
Train8261   27 Jul 2021, 12:32 am
Dk. But it forced nearby staff members to stop anyone getting in the cab. Tbh it was fun with the destination boards but Jesus the honking got annoying
streetdeckfan   27 Jul 2021, 12:45 am
I'm just surprised they're allowed to have people in the cabs at all, even with supervision.

Imagine explaining to the insurance what happened if someone was to let the handbrake off and it ran into another bus, or the courts if someone let off the handbrake and it ran over a bunch of school children.
I'm pretty sure the person 'supervising' would not be let off lightly in such an incident since I believe legally they'd be seen as in control of the vehicle, the same way that a driving instructor is when teaching a student.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Train8261   27 Jul 2021, 12:49 am
True. I mean. Some people were being decent about it. Random destination and parents taken there kids on. And letting the kids sit in the cab. But u had the Random ones who for some reason just started the bus up.

Think the reason for the cab not being sat in anymore was become I think the X84 one moved a tiny bit which one of the nearby staff noticed cause he seemed to dash over to it. At least that's what I think it was.

I heard the Durham Diamond engine turns on. And the headlights of the X45 but that was it
streetdeckfan   27 Jul 2021, 12:59 am
At the end of the day, had anything serious happened the fault would have been on solely GNE's part imo.

They shouldn't have been able to access the cab unsupervised and they shouldn't have been able to start the vehicle.

Risk assessments should have been made and precautions taken to make sure such a thing couldn't happen in the first place.

Yes, the little shits shouldn't have done what they did, but if GNE had proper measures in place, they wouldn't have been able to

It's all well and good saying they should be able to trust the enthusiast community, but what if a murdering psychopath that knows how to start a bus properly turned up and decided to mow everyone down?
6049   27 Jul 2021, 11:09 am
Brakes are locked on with the air dropped

streetdeckfan   27 Jul 2021, 11:19 am
(27 Jul 2021, 11:09 am)6049 wrote Brakes are locked on  with the air dropped

But how difficult is it to get the bus back to being driveable, and how would one go about doing it (asking for a friend  Wink)
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Adrian   27 Jul 2021, 11:40 am
(27 Jul 2021, 11:19 am)streetdeckfan wrote But how difficult is it to get the bus back to being driveable, and how would one go about doing it (asking for a friend  Wink)

Let's not post that info here, in case the morons from Sunday are reading. Angry

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Ianthegoon   28 Jul 2021, 7:28 am
(27 Jul 2021, 11:40 am)Adrian wrote Let's not post that info here, in case the morons from Sunday are reading. Angry

Quite!
xpm   28 Jul 2021, 4:31 pm
To be honest it should be fairly easy to ‘fix’ one of the engine bay micro switches so it sends an open signal so that the bus cannot be started whilst still maintaining other functions, I would temporarily disconnect the horn too Smile
Wybus   28 Jul 2021, 9:56 pm
I’m surprised they let people get into the cabs and play around anyway. Untrained people jabbing away at the destination controllers or turning lights on and off seems a sure fire way to get the equipment to stop working properly

I’m surprised they don’t just have one supervised vehicle with a staff member on hand, to allow kids to sit in the drivers seat or display a special destination.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Train8261   28 Jul 2021, 10:09 pm
Think its mainly for kids with there parents and Enthusiast who want to put destination blinds. There's just the odd few who just want to put the engine on.

Can't tell u how many people were in the cabs when kids with there parents wanted to be in the cab
Pages (2)    1 2