You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

GNE Riverside Depot Open Day Sunday 25th July

https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/open-day

25th July

Join us this Sunday as we open the gates at our Gateshead Riverside depot to welcome you for an open day between 10am and 4pm.

Entry is free and there's plenty to see and do:

Bus displays, including Scania displaying the very latest generation 'Fencer' single-deck bus
Workshop viewing area
Electric bus demonstration
Merchandise stalls, including Masquette and other Go North East goodies
Family fun activities
Vintage bus rides

Metrocentre bus rally will also be taking place at Metrocentre Coach Park, and you can catch our free shuttle bus from there to the depot.

Find out more about the events

Please note that there is no parking available at Gateshead Riverside depot.
RE: GNE Riverside Depot Open Day Sunday 25th July
I'm quite excited. This was meant to happen last year as well. I'm guessing GNE won't display anything at the rally and just have buses from different depot at the Riverside or maybe
Given this has been announced at short notice, and on the day of the Metrocentre rally (which GNE are sponsoring), suggests to me that the Metrocentre rally on its lonesome was going to be an absolute blowout in terms of vehicles attending.
(22 Jul 2021, 6:01 pm)transportintyneandwear wrote Why was it so short-notice? I have something planned on Sunday, I can still go but I will have to leave by 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe it was a last minute plan?

I can't go either, I'm going to the lakes for the weekend, but i'm not bothered, I'm not going, its not like we see the buses everyday. Wink
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(22 Jul 2021, 9:27 pm)Michael wrote Maybe it was a last minute plan?

I can't go either, I'm going to the lakes for the weekend, but i'm not bothered, I'm not going, its not like we see the buses everyday. Wink

I mean, the only interesting thing to me would be seeing the workshop

Bus displays, including Scania displaying the very latest generation 'Fencer' single-deck bus - Besides the Fencer, I can go to Eldon Square and see them all
Electric bus demonstration - I can ride the 53/54
Merchandise stalls, including Masquette and other Go North East goodies - Unless it's free I'm not interested, I ain't paying to advertise a company!
Family fun activities - Unless it's something like throwing a wet sponge at Dan, I can't see it being that 'fun'
Vintage bus rides - I don't like old buses
(22 Jul 2021, 9:43 pm)streetdeckfan wrote I mean, the only interesting thing to me would be seeing the workshop

Bus displays, including Scania displaying the very latest generation 'Fencer' single-deck bus - Besides the Fencer, I can go to Eldon Square and see them all
Merchandise stalls, including Masquette and other Go North East goodies - Unless it's free I'm not interested, I ain't paying to advertise a company!
Family fun activities - Unless it's something like throwing a wet sponge at Dan, I can't see it being that 'fun'

Maybe don't go then??
(22 Jul 2021, 9:43 pm)streetdeckfan wrote Merchandise stalls, including Masquette and other Go North East goodies - Unless it's free I'm not interested, I ain't paying to advertise a company!

Whilst I agree in principle with what you're saying here I am going to challenge your point ask a strange question: what sort of clothes do you wear?

If you buy a pair if Nike Air Max, a t-shirt by Fred Perry, or a pair of Levi jeans, all you are essentially doing is paying to advertise a company or brand.

It's a question I genuinely struggle with, especially when I see the more extreme examples of where the logo consumes the item of clothing being worn.
(23 Jul 2021, 4:52 am)MurdnunoC wrote Whilst I agree in principle with what you're saying here I am going to challenge your point ask a strange question: what sort of clothes do you wear?

If you buy a pair if Nike Air Max, a t-shirt by Fred Perry, or a pair of Levi jeans, all you are essentially doing is paying to advertise a company or brand.

It's a question I genuinely struggle with, especially when I see the more extreme examples of where the logo consumes the item of clothing being worn.

That's a very valid question, I don't own a single piece of clothing with a brand on it. I go out of my way to buy generic clothes, both because I disagree with the idea of advertising a company and because they're usually cheaper (and made in the same sweatshops so are of equal or better quality in most cases)

I put a skin on my laptop to hide the logo

My phone has an unbranded case

I even spent half an hour removing the logos from my backpack

(22 Jul 2021, 11:56 pm)stagecoachbusdepot wrote Maybe don't go then??

You know what, I never thought of that.

Maybe you're right
(23 Jul 2021, 5:21 am)streetdeckfan wrote That's a very valid question, I don't own a single piece of clothing with a brand on it. I go out of my way to buy generic clothes, both because I disagree with the idea of advertising a company and because they're usually cheaper (and made in the same sweatshops so are of equal or better quality in most cases)

I put a skin on my laptop to hide the logo

My phone has an unbranded case

I even spent half an hour removing the logos from my backpack

Nothing wrong with shopping at primary. Good bargains to be had or so I'm told. Tbh imo I just think you are rather strange.
(22 Jul 2021, 11:56 pm)stagecoachbusdepot wrote Maybe don't go then??

Exactly.

We get very few depot open days in the North East, so well done for Go North East for putting something on (and actually giving us details, unlike the rally itself)
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(23 Jul 2021, 9:59 am)Adrian wrote Exactly.

We get very few depot open days in the North East, so well done for Go North East for putting something on (and actually giving us details, unlike the rally itself)

Had I been up in the area this weekend I would have popped in, but since GNE don't run the X21 to mine on a Sunday, it'd be a 5 hour round trip and I'd be spending another £2.50 on Arriva tickets on top of the GNE ticket to get there.
(22 Jul 2021, 8:28 pm)MurdnunoC wrote Given this has been announced at short notice, and on the day of the Metrocentre rally (which GNE are sponsoring), suggests to me that the Metrocentre rally on its lonesome was going to be an absolute blowout in terms of vehicles attending.
An open day takes quite a few weeks (months) to organise, especially when you are getting manufacturers to bring vehicles up etc. - perhaps the "short notice" is due to COVID restrictions and having to wait for the announcement on the confirmed relaxation of restrictions.
See this was already planned last year. But obviously covid struck all rallys got suspended and it couldn't happen. So it's been in the works for a while now.

Obviously the question will Go North East displaying buses at the rally itself and have the open day have buses that won't attend
(22 Jul 2021, 9:43 pm)streetdeckfan wrote I mean, the only interesting thing to me would be seeing the workshop

Don't go, then?

I do wonder why you're here. You like one bus.
(24 Jul 2021, 5:40 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Don't go, then?

I do wonder why you're here. You like one bus.

I know, if only they had a StreetDeck appreciation day I'd be straight there Rolleyes

Maybe I'm just not enough of an 'enthusiast' to be here. I mean, I like buses but I ain't obsessed
(24 Jul 2021, 7:10 pm)streetdeckfan wrote I know, if only they had a StreetDeck appreciation day I'd be straight there Rolleyes

Maybe I'm just not enough of an 'enthusiast' to be here. I mean, I like buses but I ain't obsessed
I'm admittedly a bit of a lightweight as bus enthusiasts go but I was brought up around old vehicles being restored and have always enjoyed bus travel so joined in with my eldest when he started to take an interest.

I don't go onto rail enthusiast forums, though, and tell them how much I'm not interested in their hobby. That would be just plain weird.
Site Administrator
(24 Jul 2021, 7:10 pm)streetdeckfan wrote I know, if only they had a StreetDeck appreciation day I'd be straight there Rolleyes

I think you’ll find plenty of StreetDecks at the open day tomorrow.

(24 Jul 2021, 8:39 pm)BusLoverMum wrote I'm admittedly a bit of a lightweight as bus enthusiasts go but I was brought up around old vehicles being restored and have always enjoyed bus travel so joined in with my eldest when he started to take an interest.

I don't go onto rail enthusiast forums, though, and tell them how much I'm not interested in their hobby. That would be just plain weird.

I'm not not interested, I'd say I'm probably more interested in the operations side of it than the vehicles themselves.
And, with the vehicles, whilst I have an appreciation for the engineering underneath them, I'm probably more interested in the styling and passenger experience more than anything.

For example, contrary to popular belief, I don't actually hate the Enviro 400s, I just hate GNE's decision to go with low height vehicles on routes that don't require it, impacting on the passenger experience for 'people of height'. Likewise, while I'm a fan of StreetDecks, I'll happily admit their shortcomings
(24 Jul 2021, 9:36 pm)Dan wrote I think you’ll find plenty of StreetDecks at the open day tomorrow.

Well bugger.

If GNE committed to a proper Sunday service on the X21 I'd have been there, but alas I shall have to just be there in spirit.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_f...5361271154&id=1568919676454419

DO YOU KNOW THESE CHILDREN?

We have been sent this image and the following text:

Today Go North East held an open-day event at their Riverside Depot near Metrocentre in Gateshead. The event was for people to gain an insight into the work of a bus company, the vehicles and the various different types of bus..

However, these buses were for display purposes only, without even asking staff these two youths were jumping on buses, turning switches and trying to start them up along with another male who had curly blonde hair and a grey hoodie, possibly from Teesside.

These two males were asked by Go North East staff to not fiddle with the buttons in the bus cab but proceeded to run to an area where staff weren't in attendance so they could start the bus up, had they made a wrong move or touched a wrong button and a bus rolled forward, this could have had serious consequences if anyone was in the way...

When a member of public intervened, they swore at him before calling him "Fat B*****" and running off when this picture was taken.

These barely look old enough to be out on their own, nevermind trying to drive buses!

Go North East staff went above and beyond to accommodate the event and tried every effort to stop these kids, but they are not your babysitter!

Oh dear!
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(25 Jul 2021, 8:09 pm)Michael wrote Link isn't working for me.

Looks like the story has been removed.
Glad I manged to copy the text.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'