Menu

Pages (100)    170 71 72100   
Diamond One   07 Aug 2015, 10:57 pm
Go North East not giving out free ice-cream when it was advertised they were giving it to kids only I love ice-cream I have it at almost at every opportunity it's free
MrFozz   07 Aug 2015, 11:57 pm
(07 Aug 2015, 10:57 pm)Diamond One wrote Go North East not giving out free ice-cream when it was advertised they were giving it to kids only I love ice-cream I have it at almost at every opportunity it's free

Apart from times when it is just for kids [emoji14]
Adrian   08 Aug 2015, 10:07 am
(07 Aug 2015, 11:57 pm)MrFozz wrote Apart from times when it is just for kids [emoji14]
But the article on the website doesn't say anything about it being restricted to kids, and I can't see why it would be?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
BusLoverMum   08 Aug 2015, 10:30 am
(08 Aug 2015, 10:07 am)aureolin wrote But the article on the website doesn't say anything about it being restricted to kids, and I can't see why it would be?

You can only carry so much ice cream in one van. The weather forecast given at the start of the week so they probably weren't expecting such fine weather and sch a big turnout
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Dan   08 Aug 2015, 10:39 am
(08 Aug 2015, 10:07 am)aureolin wrote But the article on the website doesn't say anything about it being restricted to kids, and I can't see why it would be?

If you had attended, you'd understand.

Classic case of underestimating how much ice-cream was required, me thinks... After just two hours, 400 had been given away...
omnicity4659   08 Aug 2015, 10:41 am
It was similar at the Quaylink launch, half an hour in and it (and the coffee) was exclusively for people who won bus tickets.
Adrian   08 Aug 2015, 10:45 am
(08 Aug 2015, 10:30 am)BusLoverMum wrote You can only carry so much ice cream in one van. The weather forecast given at the start of the week so they probably weren't expecting such fine weather and sch a big turnout
(08 Aug 2015, 10:39 am)Dan wrote If you had attended, you'd understand.

Classic case of underestimating how much ice-cream was required, me thinks... After just two hours, 400 had been given away...

I appreciate that, but like everything, it should be subject to availability. When it runs out it runs out. Just about every offer carries that tagline anyway doesn't it?

Jimmi   08 Aug 2015, 3:07 pm
Not voiced my own annoyances in this thread for three days as I've had no problems since Wednesday and sure enough to make up for that I get all sorts of bad things happen at once.

As you have probably saw earlier what happened to me at Dalton Park (see Incidents with general public thread). Things continued to get worse after that, tried to get a shot of 4897 on the 265 but looking on my camera the image quality isn't great. Had a Prince Bishops Solar with the heating cranked right up so it was unbearably hot on here and the sweltering heat made me feel light headed. Spotted someone I know from school who I don't particularly like although I don't think they saw me. My headphones stopped working. The heat and all the bad things going around in my head and feeling a little light headed saw me lose all concentration in where I was going and nearly ended up walking straight into someone in a wheelchair.

So not the best afternoon so far for me then!
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
omnicity4659   08 Aug 2015, 5:34 pm
I f**king hate StreetLites. I f**king hate the old gits who have demanded the only window that was open, closed.

I'd rather walk to Morpeth.
omnicity4659   08 Aug 2015, 5:43 pm
Also, the heat. Sitting on the platform for an hour at Morpeth waiting for the 68 with a bottle of Sprite. Then being begged for money at the bus stop for someone's fare to Blyth and he still didn't have enough. So I'm £4 down, miserable and thirsty.

When I'm old enough to have a car and not have to share it with old, miserable, beggars, unhygienic and rude oaths, will be the greatest time of my life.
BusLoverMum   08 Aug 2015, 6:08 pm
(08 Aug 2015, 5:34 pm)GX03 SVC wrote I f**king hate StreetLites. I f**king hate the old gits who have demanded the only window that was open, closed.

Despite them being our main option and the fact that I do think they do OK in most situations, we found out the disadvantage of the lack of windows at the rear, today. Not so much for the heat as for the various unpleasant body odours which accumulated at the back through the course of a 1 hour 5 minute journey.
BusLoverMum   08 Aug 2015, 6:14 pm
(08 Aug 2015, 5:43 pm)GX03 SVC wrote Also, the heat. Sitting on the platform for an hour at Morpeth waiting for the 68 with a bottle of Sprite. Then being begged for money at the bus stop for someone's fare to Blyth and he still didn't have enough. So I'm £4 down, miserable and thirsty.

When I'm old enough to have a car and not have to share it with old, miserable, beggars, unhygienic and rude oaths, will be the greatest time of my life.

We heard a lot of rude oaths from the back of the Angel, this afternoon. Thankfully, the rude oafs saying them got off at Birtley. Wink

When you drive, you get tailgated, you get stuck behind 45 mile an hour man, you get stuck behind a bus at a tricky junction, you get boxed in in car parks, you get cut off on roundabouts and some rude oaf hammers on your bonnet for some perceived infraction at traffic lights on roundabouts.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
S813 FVK   08 Aug 2015, 10:49 pm
Can't get to sleep. The stupid police helicopter has taken to the skies and is hovering!  Angry
Adrian   08 Aug 2015, 10:54 pm
(08 Aug 2015, 10:49 pm)S813 FVK wrote Can't get to sleep. The stupid police helicopter has taken to the skies and is hovering!  Angry

It all kicking off in Stanley for a change...? Wink

S813 FVK   08 Aug 2015, 10:56 pm
(08 Aug 2015, 10:54 pm)aureolin wrote It all kicking off in Stanley for a change...? Wink

Whey aye. It certainly doesnt happen very often  Angel

Seems to have gone now though but known my luck, ill drift off and then itll come back!
Davie   09 Aug 2015, 7:45 am
The new Football League show program is a heap of s***e !
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
northern156   09 Aug 2015, 9:19 am
(06 Aug 2015, 4:49 pm)LeeCalder wrote Freightliner Heavy Haul..... Dickheads.

They tell me that a Class 70 is running from Leeds to Tees Dock.........

BULLSHIT

Let me guess, you got this information from a driver???

(08 Aug 2015, 5:34 pm)GX03 SVC wrote I f**king hate StreetLites. I f**king hate the old gits who have demanded the only window that was open, closed.

Something that does my t*ts in too. Especially when you've hard the window open for the whole journey so far and someone boards at a bus stop then shuts it, usually without asking!!
Would it ever be prudent to re-open the window? I've been tempted to do this as soon as it's been shut but not wanted any confrontation.

(08 Aug 2015, 5:43 pm)GX03 SVC wrote Also, the heat. Sitting on the platform for an hour at Morpeth waiting for the 68 with a bottle of Sprite. Then being begged for money at the bus stop for someone's fare to Blyth and he still didn't have enough. So I'm £4 down, miserable and thirsty.

Four quid?!?!! Hope it's taught you a lesson!

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
omnicity4659   09 Aug 2015, 9:31 am
(09 Aug 2015, 9:19 am)northern156 wrote Four quid?!?!! Hope it's taught you a lesson!

I've overheard drivers mention that there's usually a scruffy man who boards at random places with only £2 and asks for tickets that he can pay later. I wonder if it's the same bloke.

I gave him £2, then he said to the driver that he only had £2(!) although he had a few silver coins in his hand. So another £2 later he was able to buy a ticket. I didn't want the bus to be any later than it already was...
northern156   09 Aug 2015, 9:42 am
(09 Aug 2015, 9:31 am)GX03 SVC wrote I've overheard drivers mention that there's usually a scruffy man who boards at random places with only £2 and asks for tickets that he can pay later. I wonder if it's the same bloke.

I gave him £2, then he said to the driver that he only had £2(!) although he had a few silver coins in his hand. So another £2 later he was able to buy a ticket. I didn't want the bus to be any later than it already was...

To be honest, he wouldn't have been on the bus much longer without payment. His fault he needed to get the bus, not yours.

I'll never, ever give money to a beggar in the street (I might buy a packet of crisps and give them that or something, if I'm feeling generous) but I'll give to some (good) buskers.

omnicity4659   09 Aug 2015, 9:55 am
(09 Aug 2015, 9:42 am)northern156 wrote To be honest, he wouldn't have been on the bus much longer without payment. His fault he needed to get the bus, not yours.

I'll never, ever give money to a beggar in the street (I might buy a packet of crisps and give them that or something, if I'm feeling generous) but I'll give to some (good) buskers.

I felt threatened by him, as he was a big bloke. I wouldn't like to be robbed for my money, camera and phone.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
northern156   09 Aug 2015, 10:10 am
(09 Aug 2015, 9:55 am)GX03 SVC wrote I felt threatened by him, as he was a big bloke. I wouldn't like to be robbed for my money, camera and phone.

Even so! Just say 'sorry' and walk away. He has no right to have your money!!

He wouldn't have done anything.

Adrian   09 Aug 2015, 12:57 pm
(09 Aug 2015, 9:19 am)northern156 wrote Something that does my t*ts in too. Especially when you've hard the window open for the whole journey so far and someone boards at a bus stop then shuts it, usually without asking!!
Would it ever be prudent to re-open the window? I've been tempted to do this as soon as it's been shut but not wanted any confrontation.

I've done it loads of times. If someone slams the window shut, to the point of making you jump, then they obviously haven't the manners or common sense to consider others.

Once I've reopened a window, I've only ever had one woman say "I've just shut that". To which I pointed out that I've just opened it.

(09 Aug 2015, 9:42 am)northern156 wrote I'll never, ever give money to a beggar in the street (I might buy a packet of crisps and give them that or something, if I'm feeling generous) but I'll give to some (good) buskers.

I'm the same. I always just say I've got no change, but don't mind going and buying them a McDonalds, Greggs or wherever is nearby. 9 times out of 10 this will be refused though bizarrely.

Rapidsnap   09 Aug 2015, 1:02 pm
I recall a funny incident coming back from Whitby a few years ago on the 93. Was a lovely hot summers day, and I boarded an Optare Prisma back to Middlesbrough. At the start of the journey the windows were open, but once the bus hit the faster stetches of road, the pensioners at the front started shutting the windows. Fortunatley the windows kept reopening of their own accord after a few seconds of being shut. Mind the oaps did make 5 attempts to shut it.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Adrian   09 Aug 2015, 1:04 pm
(09 Aug 2015, 1:02 pm)GMitchelhill wrote I recall a funny incident coming back from Whitby a few years ago on the 93. Was a lovely hot summers day, and I boarded an Optare Prisma back to Middlesbrough. At the start of the journey the windows were open, but once the bus hit the faster stetches of road, the pensioners at the front started shutting the windows. Fortunatley the windows kept reopening of their own accord after a few seconds of being shut. Mind the oaps did make 5 attempts to shut it.

Big Grin 

There was a Renown based at Chester that used to do the opposite. One of the windows wouldn't stay open, and would close a short while after being opened. Used to confuse the life out of people, who would look around to see if someone behind them was closing it.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Jimmi   09 Aug 2015, 1:05 pm
(09 Aug 2015, 1:04 pm)aureolin wrote Big Grin 

There was a Renown based at Chester that used to do the opposite. One of the windows wouldn't stay open, and would close a short while after being opened. Used to confuse the life out of people, who would look around to see if someone behind them was closing it.
Front windows on Go North East's Presidents often do this, especially on the X21.
Dan   09 Aug 2015, 1:08 pm
(09 Aug 2015, 1:05 pm)Jimmi wrote Front windows on Go North East's Presidents often do this, especially on the X21.

Common of all double deckers when reaching high speeds, to be honest.

Drives me insane.
Adrian   09 Aug 2015, 1:10 pm
(09 Aug 2015, 1:05 pm)Jimmi wrote Front windows on Go North East's Presidents often do this, especially on the X21.

The first batches of Gemini 2s that GNE ordered used to do this. The front-most windows would slam at speed. I assume WrightBus identified it as a design fault though, as the latter batch (i.e. 6084-6117) no longer have this opening window.

Jimmi   09 Aug 2015, 1:11 pm
(09 Aug 2015, 1:08 pm)Dan wrote Common of all double deckers when reaching high speeds, to be honest.

Drives me insane.
Usually don't have many issues with windows closing on their own accord on double deckers in my experience even at speed but the front windows on GNE ex London Presidents are the worst.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
MurdnunoC   09 Aug 2015, 1:41 pm
(09 Aug 2015, 12:57 pm)aureolin wrote I'm the same. I always just say I've got no change, but don't mind going and buying them a McDonalds, Greggs or wherever is nearby. 9 times out of 10 this will be refused though bizarrely.

Done this loads of times. Sometimes I've had my offer refused but, on most occasions, it seems to have been appreciated. It's usually pretty easy to tell who's genuine and who's not in my experience.

I also try and make a little conversation when I can.
Rapidsnap   09 Aug 2015, 1:48 pm
On newer double deckers it tended to be because of a vacumn around the front of the bus pulling the windows shut. Usually on the older Leyland Olympians, it was usually because the window had just been replaced and the springs were tighter, so any bumper would cause the window to shut.

B10BLE 4903 used to have problems with windows shutting, which was annoying one summer as the heating was turned on full.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Pages (100)    170 71 72100