Menu

North East Buses The Canteen General off-topic chat Nostalgia

Nostalgia

Nostalgia

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Pages (13) Previous 15 6 713 Next
MurdnunoC

16 Aug 2015, 8:34 pm #101
The following two attachments are taken from S.K. Baker's 'Rail Atlas of Britain', 2nd Ed (OPC, 1978). They provide a snapshot of what the railway system was like around the Tyne and Wear area over 35 years ago - including The Tyne and Wear Metro.

.png
tyne and wear rail map 1.png
Size 958.25 KB / Downloads 35

.png
tyne and wear rail map 2.png
Size 1.96 MB / Downloads 38

Looks like I was wrong about Coxlodge. It appears it was planned as an additional station between Fawdon and Wansbeck Road although, judging by how the stations are spaced, Fawdon may have been where Kingston Park is (a station which wasn't planned until later) and Coxlodge where Fawdon appears.

Also, take a look at the Tyne Valley Line!
MurdnunoC
16 Aug 2015, 8:34 pm #101

The following two attachments are taken from S.K. Baker's 'Rail Atlas of Britain', 2nd Ed (OPC, 1978). They provide a snapshot of what the railway system was like around the Tyne and Wear area over 35 years ago - including The Tyne and Wear Metro.

.png
tyne and wear rail map 1.png
Size 958.25 KB / Downloads 35

.png
tyne and wear rail map 2.png
Size 1.96 MB / Downloads 38

Looks like I was wrong about Coxlodge. It appears it was planned as an additional station between Fawdon and Wansbeck Road although, judging by how the stations are spaced, Fawdon may have been where Kingston Park is (a station which wasn't planned until later) and Coxlodge where Fawdon appears.

S813 FVK

16 Aug 2015, 8:36 pm #102
(16 Aug 2015, 8:34 pm)MurdnunoC The following two attachments are taken from S.K. Baker's 'Rail Atlas of Britain', 2nd Ed (OPC, 1978). They provide a snapshot of what the railway system was like around the Tyne and Wear area over 35 years ago - including The Tyne and Wear Metro.

Wikipedia says that platform 1 of Fawdon Station was where the old Coxlodge station was.
S813 FVK
16 Aug 2015, 8:36 pm #102

(16 Aug 2015, 8:34 pm)MurdnunoC The following two attachments are taken from S.K. Baker's 'Rail Atlas of Britain', 2nd Ed (OPC, 1978). They provide a snapshot of what the railway system was like around the Tyne and Wear area over 35 years ago - including The Tyne and Wear Metro.

Wikipedia says that platform 1 of Fawdon Station was where the old Coxlodge station was.

MurdnunoC

16 Aug 2015, 8:50 pm #103
(16 Aug 2015, 8:36 pm)S813 FVK Wikipedia says that platform 1 of Fawdon Station was where the old Coxlodge station was.

A more complete history of Coxlodge Station: http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/c/coxlodge/
MurdnunoC
16 Aug 2015, 8:50 pm #103

(16 Aug 2015, 8:36 pm)S813 FVK Wikipedia says that platform 1 of Fawdon Station was where the old Coxlodge station was.

A more complete history of Coxlodge Station: http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/c/coxlodge/

Andreos1

16 Aug 2015, 8:53 pm #104
The talk of old lines, has just reminded me of the second island at Sunderland.
Still there, just hidden.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
16 Aug 2015, 8:53 pm #104

The talk of old lines, has just reminded me of the second island at Sunderland.

Adrian

16 Aug 2015, 8:53 pm #105
Trying to recall whether Washington sidings was the site of the old station? We used to go down there as kids in the early to mid 90s, and it was a certainly a strange setting.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
16 Aug 2015, 8:53 pm #105

Trying to recall whether Washington sidings was the site of the old station? We used to go down there as kids in the early to mid 90s, and it was a certainly a strange setting.

MurdnunoC

16 Aug 2015, 8:56 pm #106
(16 Aug 2015, 8:53 pm)Andreos1 The talk of old lines, has just reminded me of the second island at Sunderland.

I'll have to keep an eye out the next time I'm there. 

If only we were discussing this earlier as I was passing through.
MurdnunoC
16 Aug 2015, 8:56 pm #106

(16 Aug 2015, 8:53 pm)Andreos1 The talk of old lines, has just reminded me of the second island at Sunderland.

I'll have to keep an eye out the next time I'm there. 

MurdnunoC

16 Aug 2015, 8:59 pm #107
(16 Aug 2015, 8:53 pm)aureolin Trying to recall whether Washington sidings was the site of the old station? We used to go down there as kids in the early to mid 90s, and it was a certainly a strange setting.

If it was just before where the line split to go towards Stanley (now part of the C2C cycle path), then it probably would have been the site of the old station.
MurdnunoC
16 Aug 2015, 8:59 pm #107

(16 Aug 2015, 8:53 pm)aureolin Trying to recall whether Washington sidings was the site of the old station? We used to go down there as kids in the early to mid 90s, and it was a certainly a strange setting.

If it was just before where the line split to go towards Stanley (now part of the C2C cycle path), then it probably would have been the site of the old station.

Andreos1

16 Aug 2015, 9:01 pm #108
Where the footbridge is, that's more or less where the station was.
There are photos kicking about of other lines in Washington, running down the main road.
Outside what was Columbia Primary School (joined onto the line at Pattison) and also on Bonemill Lane, in front of the community centre.

(16 Aug 2015, 8:56 pm)MurdnunoC I'll have to keep an eye out the next time I'm there. 

There is mention of it, on the disused stations site.

Andreos1
16 Aug 2015, 9:01 pm #108

Where the footbridge is, that's more or less where the station was.
There are photos kicking about of other lines in Washington, running down the main road.
Outside what was Columbia Primary School (joined onto the line at Pattison) and also on Bonemill Lane, in front of the community centre.

(16 Aug 2015, 8:56 pm)MurdnunoC I'll have to keep an eye out the next time I'm there. 

Adrian

16 Aug 2015, 9:14 pm #109
(16 Aug 2015, 8:59 pm)MurdnunoC If it was just before where the line split to go towards Stanley (now part of the C2C cycle path), then it probably would have been the site of the old station.
(16 Aug 2015, 9:01 pm)Andreos1 Where the footbridge is, that's more or less where the station was.

Aye there were a few lines. If either of you know Brady Square at all, there used to be street running with steam locos, which ran from in between where the off licence and Salon are at the bottom of the square. 

The site I'm thinking of is just behind the Swan Industrial Estate at Barmston. We used to play football on the fields here, prior to it becoming a fenced off field. The houses between that field and the industrial estate was just waste ground, and there was a small dirt mound that used to border it off. You could get up and over there and straight on to the lines, as the fences and such were non-existent. By that time like, the freight traffic had long gone. All the track was still there, but the area was littered with trenches and smashed open trackside cabinets, where I presume the copper thieves had been at work.

I can't remember any track on the C2C route that passes alongside that field, and also past St Roberts school. It's just been the tarmac cycle track for as long as I've known now. We used to ride as far along as the 'King Coal' statue at Pelton, and then cycle back.

Adrian
16 Aug 2015, 9:14 pm #109

(16 Aug 2015, 8:59 pm)MurdnunoC If it was just before where the line split to go towards Stanley (now part of the C2C cycle path), then it probably would have been the site of the old station.
(16 Aug 2015, 9:01 pm)Andreos1 Where the footbridge is, that's more or less where the station was.

Aye there were a few lines. If either of you know Brady Square at all, there used to be street running with steam locos, which ran from in between where the off licence and Salon are at the bottom of the square. 

The site I'm thinking of is just behind the Swan Industrial Estate at Barmston. We used to play football on the fields here, prior to it becoming a fenced off field. The houses between that field and the industrial estate was just waste ground, and there was a small dirt mound that used to border it off. You could get up and over there and straight on to the lines, as the fences and such were non-existent. By that time like, the freight traffic had long gone. All the track was still there, but the area was littered with trenches and smashed open trackside cabinets, where I presume the copper thieves had been at work.

I can't remember any track on the C2C route that passes alongside that field, and also past St Roberts school. It's just been the tarmac cycle track for as long as I've known now. We used to ride as far along as the 'King Coal' statue at Pelton, and then cycle back.

MurdnunoC

16 Aug 2015, 9:21 pm #110
The C2C track was in use right up until 1984. The track may have remained in-situ for a few years after (I don't know, but bear in mind the Leamside Line lay dormant for around 20 years) so you may have just missed out on the memory.
MurdnunoC
16 Aug 2015, 9:21 pm #110

The C2C track was in use right up until 1984. The track may have remained in-situ for a few years after (I don't know, but bear in mind the Leamside Line lay dormant for around 20 years) so you may have just missed out on the memory.

Andreos1

16 Aug 2015, 9:22 pm #111
(16 Aug 2015, 9:14 pm)aureolin Aye there were a few lines. If either of you know Brady Square at all, there used to be street running with steam locos, which ran from in between where the off licence and Salon are at the bottom of the square. 

Aye, the line in front of the school, is the same one you mention.
Ran up to Glebe Pit (where the boxing club is/was). The gap where it ran between the houses coming up from Brady Sq/Columbia is still visible, just up from the VG/Thirlaways.

The track beyond St Roberts, was lifted up in the early 80's (83?). I can remember heavy machinery being parked up on the bridge above The Wheatsheaf at Barley Mow), for what seemed like ages.

edit:
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.p...ead/page-5
The track was taken up in two stages. The Washington - Ouston jct in 83/84. The remainder in 85.
The last train to Consett went via the ECML and Ouston Jct in 84.
The link has photos of the second stage being removed at Pelton in 85.

Like varnishing a floor, the last section to be sorted, would be via 'the exit', in this case - Ouston Jct.

I can't remember about the runaway mind.
Could have been carnage if it hit something on the ECML, rather than at Lamesley.
Edited 16 Aug 2015, 11:02 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
16 Aug 2015, 9:22 pm #111

(16 Aug 2015, 9:14 pm)aureolin Aye there were a few lines. If either of you know Brady Square at all, there used to be street running with steam locos, which ran from in between where the off licence and Salon are at the bottom of the square. 

Aye, the line in front of the school, is the same one you mention.
Ran up to Glebe Pit (where the boxing club is/was). The gap where it ran between the houses coming up from Brady Sq/Columbia is still visible, just up from the VG/Thirlaways.

The track beyond St Roberts, was lifted up in the early 80's (83?). I can remember heavy machinery being parked up on the bridge above The Wheatsheaf at Barley Mow), for what seemed like ages.

edit:
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.p...ead/page-5
The track was taken up in two stages. The Washington - Ouston jct in 83/84. The remainder in 85.
The last train to Consett went via the ECML and Ouston Jct in 84.
The link has photos of the second stage being removed at Pelton in 85.

Like varnishing a floor, the last section to be sorted, would be via 'the exit', in this case - Ouston Jct.

I can't remember about the runaway mind.
Could have been carnage if it hit something on the ECML, rather than at Lamesley.

Andreos1

17 Aug 2015, 2:36 pm #112
More on the line mentioned yesterday.

http://southpelawjunction.co.uk/wp/?page_id=2235
http://southpelawjunction.co.uk/wp/?page_id=2514
http://southpelawjunction.co.uk/wp/?page_id=642
A fascinating site that brought back a few memories too!

Andreos1
17 Aug 2015, 2:36 pm #112

More on the line mentioned yesterday.

Adrian

17 Aug 2015, 4:57 pm #113
(17 Aug 2015, 2:36 pm)Andreos1 More on the line mentioned yesterday.

Some cracking photos there mind. I think I'll have a walk along and take some shots over the weekend, if the sun stays out. Might even hop on the bus down to the Birtley end, and see if I can get some over the ECML.

Adrian
17 Aug 2015, 4:57 pm #113

(17 Aug 2015, 2:36 pm)Andreos1 More on the line mentioned yesterday.

Some cracking photos there mind. I think I'll have a walk along and take some shots over the weekend, if the sun stays out. Might even hop on the bus down to the Birtley end, and see if I can get some over the ECML.

Andreos1

09 Sep 2015, 8:44 pm #114
It seems Adidas tracky bottoms, with zips are back in fashion.
Noticed a lad at the bus stop, with zips on his ankles and pockets.

However, it seems the fashion is to tuck the bottoms into the top your shoes - with a piece of elastic (like the ones that appear on shin pads), fastened under the foot - holding them in place.

Andreos1
09 Sep 2015, 8:44 pm #114

It seems Adidas tracky bottoms, with zips are back in fashion.

However, it seems the fashion is to tuck the bottoms into the top your shoes - with a piece of elastic (like the ones that appear on shin pads), fastened under the foot - holding them in place.

MurdnunoC

09 Sep 2015, 8:51 pm #115
(09 Sep 2015, 8:44 pm)Andreos1 It seems Adidas tracky bottoms, with zips are back in fashion.

I see a lot of people with their trackies tucked into their socks. Apparently, according to an ex-police officer, this is to signify that they are drug dealers. Same goes for when you see old trainers draped across telephone wires, apparently if you stand under or near the trainers, someone will come out and ask what you're after.

Don't know if any of this is true like...
MurdnunoC
09 Sep 2015, 8:51 pm #115

(09 Sep 2015, 8:44 pm)Andreos1 It seems Adidas tracky bottoms, with zips are back in fashion.

I see a lot of people with their trackies tucked into their socks. Apparently, according to an ex-police officer, this is to signify that they are drug dealers. Same goes for when you see old trainers draped across telephone wires, apparently if you stand under or near the trainers, someone will come out and ask what you're after.

Jimmi

09 Sep 2015, 8:56 pm #116
(09 Sep 2015, 8:51 pm)MurdnunoC I see a lot of people with their trackies tucked into their socks. Apparently, according to an ex-police officer, this is to signify that they are drug dealers. Same goes for when you see old trainers draped across telephone wires, apparently if you stand under or near the trainers, someone will come out and ask what you're after.

Really? I thought it was because when they nicked things and tucked them in their trackie bottoms, it's to stop the stuff falling out the bottom of the legs.

Although some will just go along with it because it's fashion.
Jimmi
09 Sep 2015, 8:56 pm #116

(09 Sep 2015, 8:51 pm)MurdnunoC I see a lot of people with their trackies tucked into their socks. Apparently, according to an ex-police officer, this is to signify that they are drug dealers. Same goes for when you see old trainers draped across telephone wires, apparently if you stand under or near the trainers, someone will come out and ask what you're after.

Really? I thought it was because when they nicked things and tucked them in their trackie bottoms, it's to stop the stuff falling out the bottom of the legs.

MurdnunoC

09 Sep 2015, 9:01 pm #117
(09 Sep 2015, 8:56 pm)Jimmi Really? I thought it was because when they nicked things and tucked them in their trackie bottoms, it's to stop the stuff falling out the bottom of the legs.

But the bottoms are usually elasticated anyway so, depending on the style of tracksuit bottom, items are unlikely to fall out. Plus, why would you want to go around with your bottoms full of loot, much easier to conceal (and jettison) in a coat or top. 

I am not entirely convinced by the drug dealer theory either mind...
MurdnunoC
09 Sep 2015, 9:01 pm #117

(09 Sep 2015, 8:56 pm)Jimmi Really? I thought it was because when they nicked things and tucked them in their trackie bottoms, it's to stop the stuff falling out the bottom of the legs.

But the bottoms are usually elasticated anyway so, depending on the style of tracksuit bottom, items are unlikely to fall out. Plus, why would you want to go around with your bottoms full of loot, much easier to conceal (and jettison) in a coat or top. 

I am not entirely convinced by the drug dealer theory either mind...

Andreos1

09 Sep 2015, 9:06 pm #118

Nah, these aren't tucked into the socks. The socks are worn as normal, but the legs, go into the shoes - with the elastic holding them in place. Stopping them riding up.

As for the shoes - true according to the Daily Mail. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...itory.html
I just took it as a sign I was near a flat roof pub.

Andreos1
09 Sep 2015, 9:06 pm #118

Nah, these aren't tucked into the socks. The socks are worn as normal, but the legs, go into the shoes - with the elastic holding them in place. Stopping them riding up.

As for the shoes - true according to the Daily Mail. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...itory.html
I just took it as a sign I was near a flat roof pub.

LeeCalder

13 Sep 2015, 10:11 am #119
Well I had a pair of them on yesterday, and I can confirm I am no drug dealer!

Most people you see wearing them will have gained them from wherever they play sport. A lot of football clubs use them as training gear, mine certainly does and that's where I got mine from.
Attached Files
.jpg
jd_172641_a.jpg
Size 13.87 KB / Downloads 17
LeeCalder
13 Sep 2015, 10:11 am #119

Well I had a pair of them on yesterday, and I can confirm I am no drug dealer!

Most people you see wearing them will have gained them from wherever they play sport. A lot of football clubs use them as training gear, mine certainly does and that's where I got mine from.

Attached Files
.jpg
jd_172641_a.jpg
Size 13.87 KB / Downloads 17

13 Sep 2015, 10:14 am #120
(13 Sep 2015, 10:11 am)LeeCalder ...and I can confirm I am no drug dealer!

You were dealing Pacers weren't you???!!!! Wink Tongue
omnicity4659
13 Sep 2015, 10:14 am #120

(13 Sep 2015, 10:11 am)LeeCalder ...and I can confirm I am no drug dealer!

You were dealing Pacers weren't you???!!!! Wink Tongue

Pages (13) Previous 15 6 713 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average