Menu

North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat Bus Related Outings and Reviews

Bus Related Outings and Reviews

Bus Related Outings and Reviews

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (239) Previous 1176 177 178239 Next
MurdnunoC

08 Sep 2015, 12:24 pm #3,521
(08 Sep 2015, 12:18 pm)Andreos1 Just as a question, rather than anything else.

If Network Ticketing oversee both the Day Rover and Explorer, why is one definitely valid and one not (possibly/maybe) valid - on the Metrocentre stretch of track?

http://www.networkonetickets.co.uk/ticke...er-tickets

However, on this page (http://www.networkonetickets.co.uk/big-savings) - it specifically states the Sunderland/Blaydon line is part of the network.

Who knows?

Perhaps it's down to the fact the Explorer tickets are valid outside of Tyne and Wear thus operators are entitled to a greater share of the pot?
Traditionally, only the stretch of track between Newcastle and Sunderland feel under the partial remit of Tyne and Wear PTE. It wasn't until fairly recently that Blaydon, Metrocentre and Dunston became part of the network.
MurdnunoC
08 Sep 2015, 12:24 pm #3,521

(08 Sep 2015, 12:18 pm)Andreos1 Just as a question, rather than anything else.

If Network Ticketing oversee both the Day Rover and Explorer, why is one definitely valid and one not (possibly/maybe) valid - on the Metrocentre stretch of track?

However, on this page (http://www.networkonetickets.co.uk/big-savings) - it specifically states the Sunderland/Blaydon line is part of the network.

Who knows?

Perhaps it's down to the fact the Explorer tickets are valid outside of Tyne and Wear thus operators are entitled to a greater share of the pot?
Traditionally, only the stretch of track between Newcastle and Sunderland feel under the partial remit of Tyne and Wear PTE. It wasn't until fairly recently that Blaydon, Metrocentre and Dunston became part of the network.

Andreos1

08 Sep 2015, 12:46 pm #3,522
(08 Sep 2015, 12:24 pm)MurdnunoC Who knows?

Hopefully someone knows!

However, it does open up another question I have often pondered, with regard to why the Newcastle - Sunderland line fell under the PTE remit and the Blaydon - Newcastle stretch didn't.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
08 Sep 2015, 12:46 pm #3,522

(08 Sep 2015, 12:24 pm)MurdnunoC Who knows?

Hopefully someone knows!

However, it does open up another question I have often pondered, with regard to why the Newcastle - Sunderland line fell under the PTE remit and the Blaydon - Newcastle stretch didn't.

MurdnunoC

08 Sep 2015, 1:19 pm #3,523
(08 Sep 2015, 12:46 pm)Andreos1 Hopefully someone knows!

The Sunderland to Newcastle line fell under the remit of the PTE due of the lack of Metro provision. It was always intended to make that section of line (including stations) part of the network...eventually.
MurdnunoC
08 Sep 2015, 1:19 pm #3,523

(08 Sep 2015, 12:46 pm)Andreos1 Hopefully someone knows!

The Sunderland to Newcastle line fell under the remit of the PTE due of the lack of Metro provision. It was always intended to make that section of line (including stations) part of the network...eventually.

DanPicken

Banned

08 Sep 2015, 3:15 pm #3,524
(08 Sep 2015, 11:46 am)GX03 SVC I've travelled on the Explorer many times between Metro Centre and Newcastle/Heworth and I never get challenged, I always check with the guard at the rear of the train before boarding. He was at the other end with the ramp and the train was due to depart anyway. I've noticed that the writing on the screenshot is on all pages, so that means that all Network One tickets are valid upto Metro Centre/Blaydon (ones that are valid on rail). 

There's also the chance that "Newcastle to Sunderland" is used for clarity, as everytime I ask Northern Customer Services if x ticket is valid to Metro Centre, they say yes. If it wasn't then Network One shouldn't be showing that on the bottom of the Explorer page, even if it is carried on all pages.

In relation to it being updated in August, would that not just be the new design...? 

The booklet that I saw the guard reading when he went to check was what looked like a company-issued booklet. If I haven't got a fine/full return it must be valid to Metro Centre/Blaydon...?

Well I was told at Metrocentre by the Customer Service Assistant that my U16 POP Card isn'tvalid on the train from he Metrocentre yet the Nexus website states that you can.
DanPicken
08 Sep 2015, 3:15 pm #3,524

(08 Sep 2015, 11:46 am)GX03 SVC I've travelled on the Explorer many times between Metro Centre and Newcastle/Heworth and I never get challenged, I always check with the guard at the rear of the train before boarding. He was at the other end with the ramp and the train was due to depart anyway. I've noticed that the writing on the screenshot is on all pages, so that means that all Network One tickets are valid upto Metro Centre/Blaydon (ones that are valid on rail). 

There's also the chance that "Newcastle to Sunderland" is used for clarity, as everytime I ask Northern Customer Services if x ticket is valid to Metro Centre, they say yes. If it wasn't then Network One shouldn't be showing that on the bottom of the Explorer page, even if it is carried on all pages.

In relation to it being updated in August, would that not just be the new design...? 

The booklet that I saw the guard reading when he went to check was what looked like a company-issued booklet. If I haven't got a fine/full return it must be valid to Metro Centre/Blaydon...?

Well I was told at Metrocentre by the Customer Service Assistant that my U16 POP Card isn'tvalid on the train from he Metrocentre yet the Nexus website states that you can.

08 Sep 2015, 4:05 pm #3,525
(05 Sep 2015, 9:27 pm)Tom Sounds like it would have been a decent trip if it wasn't for the issues with Thorntons! Lucky you got 4912 on the 17 instead of a dual door too.

You got some nice pictures too on your outing.

I was on 5156 yesterday on the 9 through the tunnel and it was awful
NK53 TKT
08 Sep 2015, 4:05 pm #3,525

(05 Sep 2015, 9:27 pm)Tom Sounds like it would have been a decent trip if it wasn't for the issues with Thorntons! Lucky you got 4912 on the 17 instead of a dual door too.

You got some nice pictures too on your outing.

I was on 5156 yesterday on the 9 through the tunnel and it was awful

08 Sep 2015, 5:41 pm #3,526
Yesterday I went out, thIs is what I did:
09:54 74 Edge Hill
10:29 Eldon Square
Bus was 560, still had East Durham college adverts
Rating 8.5/10
10:35 X21 Eldon Square
10:45 Gateshead
Bus was 6035, sounded quite nice and healthy, I actually travelled on this bus in London, one of the better ex London presidents.
Rating 8/10
11:02 Metro Gateshead
11:17 Jarrow
Rating 7/10
11:31 9 Jarrow
11:46 North Shields
Bus was 5156, it was 5+ minutes late and made an awful sound, especially in the tunnel with the echos. Would not recommend the service unless with an omnicity.
Rating 4.5/10
12:03 19 North Shields
12:52 Cramlington
Bus was 5247, in great shape, just I was boiled alive sitting at the back, must say this was unplanned as I was meant to board the 11:50 310 but we missed it. Would recommend, especially the Northumberland Park to Seaton Delavel section. Wanted this bus on the 9.
Rating 9.5/10
12:58 43 Cramlington
13:17 Brunton Lane
Bus was 4661, unusual on this route. It sounded like a GNE solar,, worst omnicity I have been on. Seating was worn badly
Rating 5.5/10
13:23 Q3 Brunton Lane
13:31 Great Park Wagonway Drive
Rating 6.5/10
NK53 TKT
08 Sep 2015, 5:41 pm #3,526

Yesterday I went out, thIs is what I did:
09:54 74 Edge Hill
10:29 Eldon Square
Bus was 560, still had East Durham college adverts
Rating 8.5/10
10:35 X21 Eldon Square
10:45 Gateshead
Bus was 6035, sounded quite nice and healthy, I actually travelled on this bus in London, one of the better ex London presidents.
Rating 8/10
11:02 Metro Gateshead
11:17 Jarrow
Rating 7/10
11:31 9 Jarrow
11:46 North Shields
Bus was 5156, it was 5+ minutes late and made an awful sound, especially in the tunnel with the echos. Would not recommend the service unless with an omnicity.
Rating 4.5/10
12:03 19 North Shields
12:52 Cramlington
Bus was 5247, in great shape, just I was boiled alive sitting at the back, must say this was unplanned as I was meant to board the 11:50 310 but we missed it. Would recommend, especially the Northumberland Park to Seaton Delavel section. Wanted this bus on the 9.
Rating 9.5/10
12:58 43 Cramlington
13:17 Brunton Lane
Bus was 4661, unusual on this route. It sounded like a GNE solar,, worst omnicity I have been on. Seating was worn badly
Rating 5.5/10
13:23 Q3 Brunton Lane
13:31 Great Park Wagonway Drive
Rating 6.5/10

Andreos1

10 Sep 2015, 12:04 pm #3,527
(08 Sep 2015, 1:19 pm)MurdnunoC The Sunderland to Newcastle line fell under the remit of the PTE due of the lack of Metro provision. It was always intended to make that section of line (including stations) part of the network...eventually.
Appreciate we are getting way off topic like...

The whole getting the Metro to Sunderland and subsiding both post and pre-privatisation always puzzled me.

I get why the PTE may have wanted to fill the lack of Metro provision to Sunderland, but I don't understand why the lack of provision there, was covered by PTE funding, but West Gateshead (who also have a lack of a Metro), didn't get similar.

Obviously the original idea, was to reinvigorate the original suburban railway that existed and link them together, via the underground section - with buses feeding into the interchange points (the original NE hub and spoke?) and not crossing the river.
Would it not have made more sense, to make Blaydon an Interchange, with trains  running into Newcastle - just as they did and still do, from Wearside?

Andreos1
10 Sep 2015, 12:04 pm #3,527

(08 Sep 2015, 1:19 pm)MurdnunoC The Sunderland to Newcastle line fell under the remit of the PTE due of the lack of Metro provision. It was always intended to make that section of line (including stations) part of the network...eventually.
Appreciate we are getting way off topic like...

The whole getting the Metro to Sunderland and subsiding both post and pre-privatisation always puzzled me.

I get why the PTE may have wanted to fill the lack of Metro provision to Sunderland, but I don't understand why the lack of provision there, was covered by PTE funding, but West Gateshead (who also have a lack of a Metro), didn't get similar.

Obviously the original idea, was to reinvigorate the original suburban railway that existed and link them together, via the underground section - with buses feeding into the interchange points (the original NE hub and spoke?) and not crossing the river.
Would it not have made more sense, to make Blaydon an Interchange, with trains  running into Newcastle - just as they did and still do, from Wearside?

eezypeazy

10 Sep 2015, 12:22 pm #3,528
Timetabled journey time by train, Newcastle to Blaydon westbound = 22 mins. Timetabled bus journey time on 11/11A/32, Central Station to Blaydon, at best 13 mins, at worst 16 mins. So no, interchange at Blaydon doesn't make sense for journeys from Newcastle. For travel to Sunderland it probably does make sense to change at Blaydon, because the train is faster; but for travel to Middlesbrough the X9/X10 beats the train because the Durham Coast line speed is too low.
eezypeazy
10 Sep 2015, 12:22 pm #3,528

Timetabled journey time by train, Newcastle to Blaydon westbound = 22 mins. Timetabled bus journey time on 11/11A/32, Central Station to Blaydon, at best 13 mins, at worst 16 mins. So no, interchange at Blaydon doesn't make sense for journeys from Newcastle. For travel to Sunderland it probably does make sense to change at Blaydon, because the train is faster; but for travel to Middlesbrough the X9/X10 beats the train because the Durham Coast line speed is too low.

BJ10VUS

10 Sep 2015, 1:44 pm #3,529
(10 Sep 2015, 12:22 pm)eezypeazy Timetabled journey time by train, Newcastle to Blaydon westbound = 22 mins. Timetabled bus journey time on 11/11A/32, Central Station to Blaydon, at best 13 mins, at worst 16 mins.

The 1824 departure from Newcastle operates via Dunston and Metrocentre, arriving in to Blaydon at 1837, so the journey time is only 13 minutes. The longest journey appears to be a morning journey from Blaydon to Newcastle, calling at Metrocentre and Dunston, taking 19 minutes. For journeys operating via Metrocentre only, the journey time is 12 minutes. Not sure where you got 22 minutes from?
Edited 10 Sep 2015, 1:46 pm by BJ10VUS.
BJ10VUS
10 Sep 2015, 1:44 pm #3,529

(10 Sep 2015, 12:22 pm)eezypeazy Timetabled journey time by train, Newcastle to Blaydon westbound = 22 mins. Timetabled bus journey time on 11/11A/32, Central Station to Blaydon, at best 13 mins, at worst 16 mins.

The 1824 departure from Newcastle operates via Dunston and Metrocentre, arriving in to Blaydon at 1837, so the journey time is only 13 minutes. The longest journey appears to be a morning journey from Blaydon to Newcastle, calling at Metrocentre and Dunston, taking 19 minutes. For journeys operating via Metrocentre only, the journey time is 12 minutes. Not sure where you got 22 minutes from?

Andreos1

10 Sep 2015, 1:56 pm #3,530
(10 Sep 2015, 12:22 pm)eezypeazy Timetabled journey time by train, Newcastle to Blaydon westbound = 22 mins. Timetabled bus journey time on 11/11A/32, Central Station to Blaydon, at best 13 mins, at worst 16 mins. So no, interchange at Blaydon doesn't make sense for journeys from Newcastle. For travel to Sunderland it probably does make sense to change at Blaydon, because the train is faster; but for travel to Middlesbrough the X9/X10 beats the train because the Durham Coast line speed is too low.

The 612 (http://northeastbuses.co.uk/archive/TWPT...st1976.pdf) took 13 mins Marlbrough Cresc - Blaydon in 76
The 11/32 take 19 minutes Blaydon - Eldon Square currently.

Northern Rail (http://tickets.northernrail.org/tickets), takes between 12 and 19 mins Blaydon - Newcastle Central.

Andreos1
10 Sep 2015, 1:56 pm #3,530

(10 Sep 2015, 12:22 pm)eezypeazy Timetabled journey time by train, Newcastle to Blaydon westbound = 22 mins. Timetabled bus journey time on 11/11A/32, Central Station to Blaydon, at best 13 mins, at worst 16 mins. So no, interchange at Blaydon doesn't make sense for journeys from Newcastle. For travel to Sunderland it probably does make sense to change at Blaydon, because the train is faster; but for travel to Middlesbrough the X9/X10 beats the train because the Durham Coast line speed is too low.

The 612 (http://northeastbuses.co.uk/archive/TWPT...st1976.pdf) took 13 mins Marlbrough Cresc - Blaydon in 76
The 11/32 take 19 minutes Blaydon - Eldon Square currently.

Northern Rail (http://tickets.northernrail.org/tickets), takes between 12 and 19 mins Blaydon - Newcastle Central.

MurdnunoC

10 Sep 2015, 4:38 pm #3,531
(10 Sep 2015, 12:04 pm)Andreos1 Appreciate we are getting way off topic like...

Huge swathes of both Newcastle and Gateshead are without access to the Metro. However the Metro does touch venture into both boroughs so, I'm guessing, it was less of an issue for each respective council to pursue as there was, at least, some benefit for taxpayers through limited provision whereas Sunderland received no provision yet was still footing the bill.
MurdnunoC
10 Sep 2015, 4:38 pm #3,531

(10 Sep 2015, 12:04 pm)Andreos1 Appreciate we are getting way off topic like...

Huge swathes of both Newcastle and Gateshead are without access to the Metro. However the Metro does touch venture into both boroughs so, I'm guessing, it was less of an issue for each respective council to pursue as there was, at least, some benefit for taxpayers through limited provision whereas Sunderland received no provision yet was still footing the bill.

BusLoverMum

10 Sep 2015, 8:06 pm #3,532
(10 Sep 2015, 4:38 pm)MurdnunoC Huge swathes of both Newcastle and Gateshead are without access to the Metro. However the Metro does touch venture into both boroughs so, I'm guessing, it was less of an issue for each respective council to pursue as there was, at least, some benefit for taxpayers through limited provision whereas Sunderland received no provision yet was still footing the bill.

This.

This is what there were an awful lot of vox pop complaints about on regional news programs and in local papers on a regular basis for a long time before the Sunderland extension even became a definite maybe.
BusLoverMum
10 Sep 2015, 8:06 pm #3,532

(10 Sep 2015, 4:38 pm)MurdnunoC Huge swathes of both Newcastle and Gateshead are without access to the Metro. However the Metro does touch venture into both boroughs so, I'm guessing, it was less of an issue for each respective council to pursue as there was, at least, some benefit for taxpayers through limited provision whereas Sunderland received no provision yet was still footing the bill.

This.

This is what there were an awful lot of vox pop complaints about on regional news programs and in local papers on a regular basis for a long time before the Sunderland extension even became a definite maybe.

Adrian

10 Sep 2015, 8:11 pm #3,533
(10 Sep 2015, 8:06 pm)BusLoverMum This.

Same with Washington. Though we used to have a range of services that connected just about every part of Washington with the Metro, so you could take advantage of a Transfare. No such luck these days though. I think Washington is officially the largest town without a railway service of any sort now?

It's not just parts of Tyne and Wear without Metro that are footing the bill. It'll soon be Durham and Northumberland paying the ITA too. I fully expect it to commence with the coming year's council tax statements.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
10 Sep 2015, 8:11 pm #3,533

Same with Washington. Though we used to have a range of services that connected just about every part of Washington with the Metro, so you could take advantage of a Transfare. No such luck these days though. I think Washington is officially the largest town without a railway service of any sort now?

It's not just parts of Tyne and Wear without Metro that are footing the bill. It'll soon be Durham and Northumberland paying the ITA too. I fully expect it to commence with the coming year's council tax statements.

MurdnunoC

10 Sep 2015, 8:27 pm #3,534

From the documents I've read, the Sunderland extension was always in the pipeline from the Metro's initial inception circa 1973, as the Local Government Act of 1972 gave power to the five main local authorities thus facilitating the formation of the county of Tyne and Wear in 1974. The main problem with converting Sunderland from heavy-light rail was that it used by both freight and other rail services to/from Teesside and beyond. The Karlsruhe model of line-sharing probably could've been implemented (and perhaps innovated here in the North East) sooner, but an arrangement was reached where the local PTE were responsible for overseeing local rail services between Sunderland and Newcastle (much like MerseyRail and the like).
MurdnunoC
10 Sep 2015, 8:27 pm #3,534

From the documents I've read, the Sunderland extension was always in the pipeline from the Metro's initial inception circa 1973, as the Local Government Act of 1972 gave power to the five main local authorities thus facilitating the formation of the county of Tyne and Wear in 1974. The main problem with converting Sunderland from heavy-light rail was that it used by both freight and other rail services to/from Teesside and beyond. The Karlsruhe model of line-sharing probably could've been implemented (and perhaps innovated here in the North East) sooner, but an arrangement was reached where the local PTE were responsible for overseeing local rail services between Sunderland and Newcastle (much like MerseyRail and the like).

MurdnunoC

10 Sep 2015, 8:30 pm #3,535
(10 Sep 2015, 8:11 pm)aureolin Same with Washington. Though we used to have a range of services that connected just about every part of Washington with the Metro, so you could take advantage of a Transfare. No such luck these days though. I think Washington is officially the largest town without a railway service of any sort now?

The main problem with Washington's rail link (or lack thereof) is funding. Most agree reopening the Leamside Line is a good idea but nobody actually wants to pay for it. It's a sad state of affairs.
Edited 10 Sep 2015, 8:31 pm by MurdnunoC.
MurdnunoC
10 Sep 2015, 8:30 pm #3,535

(10 Sep 2015, 8:11 pm)aureolin Same with Washington. Though we used to have a range of services that connected just about every part of Washington with the Metro, so you could take advantage of a Transfare. No such luck these days though. I think Washington is officially the largest town without a railway service of any sort now?

The main problem with Washington's rail link (or lack thereof) is funding. Most agree reopening the Leamside Line is a good idea but nobody actually wants to pay for it. It's a sad state of affairs.

Adrian

10 Sep 2015, 8:32 pm #3,536
(10 Sep 2015, 8:30 pm)MurdnunoC The main problem with Washington's rail link (or lack thereof) is funding. Most agree reopening the Leamside Line is a good idea but nobody actually wants to pay for it.

Yup. I've said before that there's a big stand off going on, and I don't doubt it being true for a second. It appears to me that the PTE, Nissan and Network Rail all want to reopen the line. They'd all benefit from it in different ways, but none of them want to fund it!

Adrian
10 Sep 2015, 8:32 pm #3,536

(10 Sep 2015, 8:30 pm)MurdnunoC The main problem with Washington's rail link (or lack thereof) is funding. Most agree reopening the Leamside Line is a good idea but nobody actually wants to pay for it.

Yup. I've said before that there's a big stand off going on, and I don't doubt it being true for a second. It appears to me that the PTE, Nissan and Network Rail all want to reopen the line. They'd all benefit from it in different ways, but none of them want to fund it!

eezypeazy

10 Sep 2015, 9:18 pm #3,537
(10 Sep 2015, 1:44 pm)BJ10VUS The 1824 departure from Newcastle operates via Dunston and Metrocentre, arriving in to Blaydon at 1837, so the journey time is only 13 minutes. The longest journey appears to be a morning journey from Blaydon to Newcastle, calling at Metrocentre and Dunston, taking 19 minutes. For journeys operating via Metrocentre only, the journey time is 12 minutes. Not sure where you got 22 minutes from?

Sincere apologies... I read the timetable incorrectly....

http://www.northernrail.org/pdfs/timetab...0517/4.pdf

The rail time westbound is 12 mins. approx.

I was trying to be fair by omitting eastbound journeys, when the railway builds in some recovery time at NCL; and by comparing only Central Station to Blaydon, both as a 'proxy' for Marlborough Cres and to exclude the city centre penetration advantage that the bus gets over the train. Equally, I omitted the 'walking time' between Blaydon Station and the bus station. So the two journeys are comparable in time. But train is once every two hours, and the bus is four times an hour (every 10mins in peaks).

For rail from Blaydon to Newcastle to become an attractive alternative would require significant investment - notably in expensive track rebuilding east of Dunston to remove the 25mph speed limit, and in extra trains to provide a reasonable frequency. Then rail (in its present form) still doesn't penetrate the city centre, and Blaydon station is very much marooned on the wrong side of the A695 from Blaydon town centre - both of which could only be resolved with very, very expensive infrastructure projects.

Although this is going rather off-topic here...
eezypeazy
10 Sep 2015, 9:18 pm #3,537

(10 Sep 2015, 1:44 pm)BJ10VUS The 1824 departure from Newcastle operates via Dunston and Metrocentre, arriving in to Blaydon at 1837, so the journey time is only 13 minutes. The longest journey appears to be a morning journey from Blaydon to Newcastle, calling at Metrocentre and Dunston, taking 19 minutes. For journeys operating via Metrocentre only, the journey time is 12 minutes. Not sure where you got 22 minutes from?

Sincere apologies... I read the timetable incorrectly....

http://www.northernrail.org/pdfs/timetab...0517/4.pdf

The rail time westbound is 12 mins. approx.

I was trying to be fair by omitting eastbound journeys, when the railway builds in some recovery time at NCL; and by comparing only Central Station to Blaydon, both as a 'proxy' for Marlborough Cres and to exclude the city centre penetration advantage that the bus gets over the train. Equally, I omitted the 'walking time' between Blaydon Station and the bus station. So the two journeys are comparable in time. But train is once every two hours, and the bus is four times an hour (every 10mins in peaks).

For rail from Blaydon to Newcastle to become an attractive alternative would require significant investment - notably in expensive track rebuilding east of Dunston to remove the 25mph speed limit, and in extra trains to provide a reasonable frequency. Then rail (in its present form) still doesn't penetrate the city centre, and Blaydon station is very much marooned on the wrong side of the A695 from Blaydon town centre - both of which could only be resolved with very, very expensive infrastructure projects.

Although this is going rather off-topic here...

Simmy

12 Sep 2015, 12:26 pm #3,538
Ventured back up to the North last weekend. Had a nice ride on the 'Connecting the dots' E200s and the Volvo demonstrator at Deptford. It was great to hear the Geordie accent again   Smile.
Simmy
12 Sep 2015, 12:26 pm #3,538

Ventured back up to the North last weekend. Had a nice ride on the 'Connecting the dots' E200s and the Volvo demonstrator at Deptford. It was great to hear the Geordie accent again   Smile.

20 Sep 2015, 8:06 pm #3,539
(07 Sep 2015, 8:49 pm)northern156 Explorers are not valid between Metrocentre and Newcastle.

(08 Sep 2015, 11:46 am)GX03 SVC If I haven't got a fine/full return it must be valid to Metro Centre/Blaydon...?

See above quote.

The booklet a guard normally has is a fares manual; local interchangeable tickets such as Explorers probably won't be in there unless it's been added in by the company.

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
northern156
20 Sep 2015, 8:06 pm #3,539

(07 Sep 2015, 8:49 pm)northern156 Explorers are not valid between Metrocentre and Newcastle.

(08 Sep 2015, 11:46 am)GX03 SVC If I haven't got a fine/full return it must be valid to Metro Centre/Blaydon...?

See above quote.

The booklet a guard normally has is a fares manual; local interchangeable tickets such as Explorers probably won't be in there unless it's been added in by the company.

26 Sep 2015, 11:10 pm #3,540
This morning, after waking up rather early from a night shift a few hours before, I decided to have a bus trip. I've been wanting to do a North West explorer for a while now so drove to Brampton for 1020 ish.

This day has been one of the worst trips I've ever had, from ignorant passengers, to those taking sodding ages to do anything/go anywhere to missing three buses, also just generally being fed up. As such I won't be adding a lot of comments in (just the positive ones) - here's just a log of what I've done today.

1034 685 Brampton to Carlisle Bus Station - 27142
I originally got mixed up between the times for the 'short' 685 to/from Brampton and the normal one to/from Newcastle. 27142 turned up on an ex-Newcastle, with only a few seats remaining at the front (sideways ones). Was an alright journey, not a lot of people annoyed me on this! Got to Carlisle around 3 minutes late where I was planning a +4 min connection onto a 554 to Keswick. Luckily I made this!
1100 554 Carlisle Bus Station to Keswick Bus Station - 34704
All 554s I've seen recently have been operated by Tridents; however the vehicle sitting in the 554 stand blinded up was 34704; a previous Carlisle city bus. I didn't have a massive amount of options to do otherwise so I went ahead and boarded. Sat right at the back on the nearside.
This journey wound me up no end. There was a couple generally possessing an irritating presence (the type of people you know you don't want to be near). I forgot the journey until just after Wigton went 'around the houses' into small villages etc - this quite annoyed me too! But by far the most vexing thing on this was the sheer heat from the bus; normally not a problem but nearly everyone was sat with coats and jackets on (lady in front having at least 3 layers at first). Yet not ONE person decided it'd be a good idea to open a window! I wasn't far from feeling sick/queasy by the end of the trip.
Got to Keswick and noticed an ex-London open-top Trident sat blinded up for the 78 to Seatoller; a route I've still needed prior to now. I noticed the driver fidgeting (a good sign he was ready to leave soon) however every single old fogie decided to push in front of me to get off and take bloody ages! Therefore, once I had alighted, the 78 had departed. To be truthful I was about ready to knock an old woman on the head.

Disgruntled I headed over to the co-op (with their very uninspiring sandwiches on offer) and got a Tuna Sweetcorn sandwich with a bag of Golden Wonder crisps (only 30p) with a chicken cocktail and ketchup thing and a bottle of 'Smart Water' (I used to think this was applied to copper to prevent thieves stealing it). Apparently it's vapour distilled with added electrolytes - more water in it than standard bottles for the same price! I then walked back to the bus station to await the arrival of the inbound Seatoller.

1230 78 Keswick Bus Station to Borrowdale Hotel - 17489
To my relief it was another LX51 plated open-top Trident; this time in the guise of 17489. I sat near to the back on the top deck to get some fresh air. My lunch was disgusting quite frankly although I still ate it to keep my strength up. Was quite a pleasant journey; there was one weirdo sat on the centre back seat with glasses on and looked... motionless. I got to the Borrowdale Hotel (gorgeous scenery around here) where we waited for a good 5 minutes. I headed downstairs and asked if we met the other bus here. The driver replied that we did but he was running a bit late. Over the top of the hill appeared the other Trident so I alighted 17489 and crossed the road to board a pretty much empty 17495 - the one I missed earlier.

1300 78 Borrowdale Hotel to Keswick Bus Station - 17495
As mentioned, this bus was pretty much empty. There were two people sat downstairs and no-one upstairs, so I sat right at the back on the nearside (open-top part again). Top tip, don't do this if you're intending on eating any sort of food. The amount of branches I had forced in my face wasn't rather nice; I was forced to duck every time a leaf appeared in the distance!
I must say, this is definitely the better vehicle of the two. The amount of thrash and noise this one gave was unreal; it was a lot nippier than the other one as well!

1326 555 Keswick Bus Station to Windermere Rail Station - 18326
I landed in Keswick Bus Station again (a place which I'm liking less and less now) and, after just missing my ex-beast 27767 on the X4 to Workington, I waited for either another X4/X5 or the 555 as my next jolly. Along came a fully adverted 18326 on the 555. I boarded this and sat on the very back seat on the lower deck on the offside. Soon enough we were out of Keswick. I absolutely loved this bus; definitely the highlight of the day - the amount of kickdowns it was giving (sometimes downhill too) was unreal! At one point I counted 7 kickdowns in 30 seconds. Weren't massive screamy and shouty ones but it was rather entertaining!

The plan was originally to go to Lancaster to then get the train back to Carlisle. However I realised I had to make the 2012 bus back (that was the last one before 2330) and would arrive in Lancaster at 1612 (this was the journey every hour that went along the back roads through Carnforth etc instead of fast via the M6) - just under 3 hours! I then thought about Lancaster, bus to Kendal then the 41/41A to Oxenholme however I then realised the last 41 from Kendal to Oxenholme left at 1715 (!!!!!!) so that was scrapped. The train meant a 40 min wait at Oxenholme too, sod that.

I therefore bailed at Windermere, having still needed the railway line from here to Oxenholme, and bought a ticket for the next departure from the station.

1441 1N32 Windermere to Oxenholme - 185102 (TPE)
185102 appeared to then form 1N32 to Preston. After a quick pic, I boarded the service. After a rather nice journey, I got into Oxenholme. I then bought a ticket for the next-but-one service to Carlisle and waited for it, taking a few pics in the meantime.

1528 1S66 Oxenholme to Carlisle - 350408 (TPE)
350408 arrived a minute or two late, then we were underway. I was sat in the pantograph coach and most seats were occupied; there was an American couple trying to take pictures of every single fell we passed but generally a civilised journey. Got to Carlisle then walked outside to get the next Solo SR on a city service.

1618 61 Carlisle, Courts to Morton Park to Carlisle, Crescent - 47961
47961 was the next vehicle of interest; on a service 61 to Morton Park. Having recently only been on the 61A service (serving a different area) it'd be good to have a ride on this. Quite a nice little trip really, we followed another Solo SR on the 62 for a few hundred metres before heading back into town.

I headed to the rail station afterwards and seen a few bits and bobs. I then realised I had 5 minutes until the Brampton 685's departure of 1737, so had a brisk walk over (usually takes 3 minutes or so). I got to the bus station to see it was in the stand - I ran over to the stand where I had missed it by 10 seconds and wouldn't be let on. It was 47474 too; my personal favourite Solo! Absolutely livid, I popped to Poundland in the Lanes shopping centre (being their last customer of the day) and bought some mints, Cadbury Crunch shortcake and Superbad DVD (starring Jonah Hill). I walked back over to the bus station, watching two National Express coaches and various other movements. 27141 arrived on an ex-Newcastle but then to my surprise was taken out of service! Two MANviros were left on the stands...

1807 685 Carlisle Bus Station to Brampton - 24122
...and 24122 was the chosen one! We got out of the bus station, and along Warwick Road we stopped and the driver turned the engine off. He said the electrics had messed up (the Stopping sign illuminated for no reason) but we were soon away again. Quite a good journey on this, in my opinion these should replace the horrible ADL E300s we currently have on the 685 - more from an enthusiast's point of view that they're nippy and make cracking noises. Smile

Thanks for reading. Hopefully my next trip won't be as disastrous!

northern156
26 Sep 2015, 11:10 pm #3,540

This morning, after waking up rather early from a night shift a few hours before, I decided to have a bus trip. I've been wanting to do a North West explorer for a while now so drove to Brampton for 1020 ish.

This day has been one of the worst trips I've ever had, from ignorant passengers, to those taking sodding ages to do anything/go anywhere to missing three buses, also just generally being fed up. As such I won't be adding a lot of comments in (just the positive ones) - here's just a log of what I've done today.

1034 685 Brampton to Carlisle Bus Station - 27142
I originally got mixed up between the times for the 'short' 685 to/from Brampton and the normal one to/from Newcastle. 27142 turned up on an ex-Newcastle, with only a few seats remaining at the front (sideways ones). Was an alright journey, not a lot of people annoyed me on this! Got to Carlisle around 3 minutes late where I was planning a +4 min connection onto a 554 to Keswick. Luckily I made this!
1100 554 Carlisle Bus Station to Keswick Bus Station - 34704
All 554s I've seen recently have been operated by Tridents; however the vehicle sitting in the 554 stand blinded up was 34704; a previous Carlisle city bus. I didn't have a massive amount of options to do otherwise so I went ahead and boarded. Sat right at the back on the nearside.
This journey wound me up no end. There was a couple generally possessing an irritating presence (the type of people you know you don't want to be near). I forgot the journey until just after Wigton went 'around the houses' into small villages etc - this quite annoyed me too! But by far the most vexing thing on this was the sheer heat from the bus; normally not a problem but nearly everyone was sat with coats and jackets on (lady in front having at least 3 layers at first). Yet not ONE person decided it'd be a good idea to open a window! I wasn't far from feeling sick/queasy by the end of the trip.
Got to Keswick and noticed an ex-London open-top Trident sat blinded up for the 78 to Seatoller; a route I've still needed prior to now. I noticed the driver fidgeting (a good sign he was ready to leave soon) however every single old fogie decided to push in front of me to get off and take bloody ages! Therefore, once I had alighted, the 78 had departed. To be truthful I was about ready to knock an old woman on the head.

Disgruntled I headed over to the co-op (with their very uninspiring sandwiches on offer) and got a Tuna Sweetcorn sandwich with a bag of Golden Wonder crisps (only 30p) with a chicken cocktail and ketchup thing and a bottle of 'Smart Water' (I used to think this was applied to copper to prevent thieves stealing it). Apparently it's vapour distilled with added electrolytes - more water in it than standard bottles for the same price! I then walked back to the bus station to await the arrival of the inbound Seatoller.

1230 78 Keswick Bus Station to Borrowdale Hotel - 17489
To my relief it was another LX51 plated open-top Trident; this time in the guise of 17489. I sat near to the back on the top deck to get some fresh air. My lunch was disgusting quite frankly although I still ate it to keep my strength up. Was quite a pleasant journey; there was one weirdo sat on the centre back seat with glasses on and looked... motionless. I got to the Borrowdale Hotel (gorgeous scenery around here) where we waited for a good 5 minutes. I headed downstairs and asked if we met the other bus here. The driver replied that we did but he was running a bit late. Over the top of the hill appeared the other Trident so I alighted 17489 and crossed the road to board a pretty much empty 17495 - the one I missed earlier.

1300 78 Borrowdale Hotel to Keswick Bus Station - 17495
As mentioned, this bus was pretty much empty. There were two people sat downstairs and no-one upstairs, so I sat right at the back on the nearside (open-top part again). Top tip, don't do this if you're intending on eating any sort of food. The amount of branches I had forced in my face wasn't rather nice; I was forced to duck every time a leaf appeared in the distance!
I must say, this is definitely the better vehicle of the two. The amount of thrash and noise this one gave was unreal; it was a lot nippier than the other one as well!

1326 555 Keswick Bus Station to Windermere Rail Station - 18326
I landed in Keswick Bus Station again (a place which I'm liking less and less now) and, after just missing my ex-beast 27767 on the X4 to Workington, I waited for either another X4/X5 or the 555 as my next jolly. Along came a fully adverted 18326 on the 555. I boarded this and sat on the very back seat on the lower deck on the offside. Soon enough we were out of Keswick. I absolutely loved this bus; definitely the highlight of the day - the amount of kickdowns it was giving (sometimes downhill too) was unreal! At one point I counted 7 kickdowns in 30 seconds. Weren't massive screamy and shouty ones but it was rather entertaining!

The plan was originally to go to Lancaster to then get the train back to Carlisle. However I realised I had to make the 2012 bus back (that was the last one before 2330) and would arrive in Lancaster at 1612 (this was the journey every hour that went along the back roads through Carnforth etc instead of fast via the M6) - just under 3 hours! I then thought about Lancaster, bus to Kendal then the 41/41A to Oxenholme however I then realised the last 41 from Kendal to Oxenholme left at 1715 (!!!!!!) so that was scrapped. The train meant a 40 min wait at Oxenholme too, sod that.

I therefore bailed at Windermere, having still needed the railway line from here to Oxenholme, and bought a ticket for the next departure from the station.

1441 1N32 Windermere to Oxenholme - 185102 (TPE)
185102 appeared to then form 1N32 to Preston. After a quick pic, I boarded the service. After a rather nice journey, I got into Oxenholme. I then bought a ticket for the next-but-one service to Carlisle and waited for it, taking a few pics in the meantime.

1528 1S66 Oxenholme to Carlisle - 350408 (TPE)
350408 arrived a minute or two late, then we were underway. I was sat in the pantograph coach and most seats were occupied; there was an American couple trying to take pictures of every single fell we passed but generally a civilised journey. Got to Carlisle then walked outside to get the next Solo SR on a city service.

1618 61 Carlisle, Courts to Morton Park to Carlisle, Crescent - 47961
47961 was the next vehicle of interest; on a service 61 to Morton Park. Having recently only been on the 61A service (serving a different area) it'd be good to have a ride on this. Quite a nice little trip really, we followed another Solo SR on the 62 for a few hundred metres before heading back into town.

I headed to the rail station afterwards and seen a few bits and bobs. I then realised I had 5 minutes until the Brampton 685's departure of 1737, so had a brisk walk over (usually takes 3 minutes or so). I got to the bus station to see it was in the stand - I ran over to the stand where I had missed it by 10 seconds and wouldn't be let on. It was 47474 too; my personal favourite Solo! Absolutely livid, I popped to Poundland in the Lanes shopping centre (being their last customer of the day) and bought some mints, Cadbury Crunch shortcake and Superbad DVD (starring Jonah Hill). I walked back over to the bus station, watching two National Express coaches and various other movements. 27141 arrived on an ex-Newcastle but then to my surprise was taken out of service! Two MANviros were left on the stands...

1807 685 Carlisle Bus Station to Brampton - 24122
...and 24122 was the chosen one! We got out of the bus station, and along Warwick Road we stopped and the driver turned the engine off. He said the electrics had messed up (the Stopping sign illuminated for no reason) but we were soon away again. Quite a good journey on this, in my opinion these should replace the horrible ADL E300s we currently have on the 685 - more from an enthusiast's point of view that they're nippy and make cracking noises. Smile

Thanks for reading. Hopefully my next trip won't be as disastrous!

Pages (239) Previous 1176 177 178239 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average