Menu

Pages (27)    111 12 1327   
cbma06   15 Sep 2013, 1:43 pm
(15 Sep 2013, 1:31 pm)citaro5284 wrote No 'If' about it, new double deckers are ordered for the 56.

I know awhile ago someone saying there will be new double deckers coming for the 56 (also for service 20?), then maybe the buses on the 20 and 56 would be upgraded and transferred over to the 8 and 78.

But theres also buses from London due to come up after there had all the deliveries of the new type bus been done.

Adrian   15 Sep 2013, 1:47 pm
(15 Sep 2013, 1:44 pm)citaro5284 wrote Aureolin - maybe the answer to your earlier question.

Cheers Smile

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Dan   15 Sep 2013, 2:02 pm
(15 Sep 2013, 1:34 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote That's a good point you've brought up there, thing is i'm not sure if Deptford operate any Scholars Services but i'm sure someone will know. Not a follower of Scholars Services to be honest.

They do, which is why the 26 and short X3s are operated by double deckers and have separate timings for the school days and school holidays.
Malarkey   15 Sep 2013, 2:25 pm
(15 Sep 2013, 2:02 pm)Daniel wrote They do, which is why the 26 and short X3s are operated by double deckers and have separate timings for the school days and school holidays.

Thanks for that Daniel, that's jogged my memory back to last week about something regarding Scholars come to think of it.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Dan   15 Sep 2013, 2:26 pm
(15 Sep 2013, 1:18 pm)stagecoachbusdepot wrote Not 38 baggage buses this year?

6012, 6010, 3872, 6036, 6015, 3875, 3885.

Does that bring it to 38? Was copying the fleet numbers from a text and I sent those later than the above as they were parked further up the road. :p
Dan   15 Sep 2013, 2:27 pm
(15 Sep 2013, 2:25 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote Thanks for that Daniel, that's jogged my memory back to last week about something regarding Scholars come to think of it.

I'm still yet to see a photo of the recent Olympian transfer to Washington...hint hint :p
Malarkey   15 Sep 2013, 2:34 pm
(15 Sep 2013, 2:27 pm)Daniel wrote I'm still yet to see a photo of the recent Olympian transfer to Washington...hint hint :p

ahhh yes, I haven't forgot about that, I just haven't seen it yet to get a photograph.
DanPicken   15 Sep 2013, 2:38 pm
(15 Sep 2013, 2:02 pm)Daniel wrote They do, which is why the 26 and short X3s are operated by double deckers and have separate timings for the school days and school holidays.

one of the 26's does 816 st wilfrids comp - Jarrow bus station

gne do 805/806 south shields community school
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Malarkey   15 Sep 2013, 2:45 pm
(15 Sep 2013, 1:48 pm)citaro5284 wrote Think they might be just bus enthusiast rumours - about new vehicles for the 20 and buses from London heading towards the North East Big Grin

It was mentioned a few weeks back that GNE might be getting the Buses off Go-Ahead London Service 11 once all the Borismasters have arrived, There was also something about Omnicdeckers if my memory serves me correctly. Whether rumour is true or not I have no idea. As for the 20 I haven't heard or read anything about that getting new buses for a few months now.
Malarkey   15 Sep 2013, 2:55 pm
(15 Sep 2013, 2:45 pm)citaro5284 wrote If it is 3821, it has been at Stanley since 11 September.

Yes it is, on the GNE Fleet Archive it says it was Transferred to Washington from Stanley on the 2nd September. But there is nothing on whether it is has been transferred back on the Latest fleet changes. Unless it crops up on this weeks, if there is an update.
CitaroFavourite   15 Sep 2013, 2:55 pm
if scania ominicity deckers were true they would all be repainted into Northern livery to replace the rest of the s reg deckers which by next year if GNE used them will be against the law as they are high floor
tyresmoke   15 Sep 2013, 2:57 pm
(15 Sep 2013, 2:55 pm)CitaroFavourite wrote if scania ominicity deckers were true they would all be repainted into Northern livery to replace the rest of the s reg deckers which by next year if GNE used them will be against the law as they are high floor

Unless they converted several school services into contract runs (eg the Durham CC tendered ones) and made them free at point of use (possibly paid for termly pass via the school) and therefore not registered as local bus services, I believe this would get around the need for DDA spec buses and allow them to continue using the Olympians?

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Adrian   15 Sep 2013, 3:00 pm
(15 Sep 2013, 2:48 pm)citaro5284 wrote The Omnicity double deckers are for sale with Ensign. Like I said, think they were just rumours

http://www.ensignbus.com/scania-omnicity-2008.html

It perhaps stems from what I wrote here, although I did mark it as 'mere speculation/thinking out loud'. Big Grin

Edit: It obviously depends how much they're going for, but I do think the purchase of such vehicles second hand would be a viable option though. 2008 models and Euro 5 engines. They'd also be suitable to replace some of the older deckers should the QCS specification come in to enforcement.

Adrian   15 Sep 2013, 3:06 pm
(15 Sep 2013, 2:57 pm)tyresmoke wrote Unless they converted several school services into contract runs (eg the Durham CC tendered ones) and made them free at point of use (possibly paid for termly pass via the school) and therefore not registered as local bus services, I believe this would get around the need for DDA spec buses and allow them to continue using the Olympians?

That's a good point, but it's worth mentioning that most schools will now have their own code of practice around the DDA. That being said, you'd expect their requirements to the contractor to specify low floor vehicles. It's certainly a good question and one I'll have a dig about for an answer to!

CatsFast101   15 Sep 2013, 3:11 pm
So we know that the Ciatro's and Streetlites will be Arriving very soon, then there's the Deckers due for 56, Solos for Venture, Versas for Citylink. And wasnt there something said about a possible 15 news buses also?

I'd like to see more replacements for MPD routes, East Durham & North Tyne Links. Aswell as some better, possibly second hand, buses for the former West Durham Swift routes. What do people think about bigger buses on East Durham or North Tyne Links? Could they justify them? The 265, 202, 208 can get busy at times.
Adrian   15 Sep 2013, 3:15 pm
(15 Sep 2013, 3:11 pm)CatsFast101 wrote So we know that the Ciatro's and Streetlites will be Arriving very soon, then there's the Deckers due for 56, Solos for Venture. And wasnt there something said about a possible 15 news buses also?

The Optare order that was issued via press release was:

14x 11.7m Versas (for Citylink)
12x Solo SRs (for Venture)

Source: http://www.optare.com/pr_22_08_13.htm

Press Release

Good fuel economy leads to 26 more Optare vehicles for Go North East

Following extensive trials of Optare’s 11.7 metre low-weight Versa, and good experience over many years with their Solo model, Go North East has ordered 26 new vehicles from the Yorkshire bus builder.

Optare is to supply 14 Versa and 12 Solo SR vehicles for use on services in Tyne & Wear and County Durham in an investment of £3.5million by the North East’s largest bus operator. Versa deliveries will commence in October with the Solos to follow in November.

A key factor in Go North East’s decision to order the 11.7 metre Versa was its successful operation during an extended trial of the model over a ten week period earlier this year. The test vehicle was put through its paces on some of the most demanding and intensive city centre services, with high passenger loadings and numerous hills. What particularly impressed them was the exceptional fuel efficiency achieved in these extremely testing conditions.

As with earlier Versas supplied to this customer, the new 11.7 models are powered by the Cummins ISBe engine to the Euro 5 EEV standard, which will deliver cleaner emissions in the city centre operating environment. This six-cylinder engine delivers 150 kW (201 bhp) at 2500 rpm and 700 Nm of torque, giving it a good level of performance for the tough route conditions without compromising on fuel efficiency.

Go North East has set a high specification for their new Versas with driver comfort receiving particular attention. A Chapman MK250 driver’s seat has been specified, which incorporates a head rest and lumbar support and the driver’s compartment is to have Denso air conditioning and a full protection screen.

The 12 Solo SR models are the 9.0 metre version powered by the Mercedes-Benz OM904LA engine. This well proven four-cylinder engine delivers 154 bhp (115 kW) of power and 610 Nm of torque and, like the Versas, is matched to an Allison 2100 Series five-speed automatic transmission.

Passengers on both the Versas and the Solo SRs will be seated on Esteban Civic V2 seats. The Versas are to be fitted with 37 fixed seats plus six tip-ups, three each in the wheelchair and buggy spaces located on each side of the saloon immediately to the rear of the front wheelboxes. Inclusive of standees, the Versas are capable of achieving a total carrying capacity of up to 62. The Solos will carry up to 49 passengers and have 23 fixed seats with three tip-ups in each of the wheelchair and buggy bays. In the case of both models, safe and easy access for passengers in wheelchairs and mothers with buggies will be provided by an easy to use fold-out manual ramp.

Chris Wise, Commercial Director at Optare, says that he is delighted that Go North East has again chosen both the Versa and Solo SR models of which approaching 90 have been delivered to the Go North East fleet over recent years.

“It’s particularly rewarding to win this business off the back of very extensive testing of the 11.7 metre Versa model in very demanding operating conditions and against a background of good experience not only from these trials but also from over two years of operating Versa and even longer with Solo.

“The exceptional fuel efficiency that the 11.7 metre Versa delivered during the trials is a direct result of the low weight of the bus, which unladen is just 7,820 kilos and the Solo has long enjoyed a well deserved reputation for fuel economy.

“Combining the low weight with good driveline matching and the use of our unique Optare Eco Drive dashboard makes both models the most economical buses of their size on the market.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
CatsFast101   15 Sep 2013, 3:21 pm
(15 Sep 2013, 3:15 pm)aureolin wrote The Optare order that was issued via press release was:

14x 11.7m Versas (for Citylink)
12x Solo SRs (for Venture)

Source: http://www.optare.com/pr_22_08_13.htm

Sorry I forgot about the 58 but no I thought there was a further 15 rumoured? Someone mentioned it on here I'm sure.
Tom   15 Sep 2013, 3:27 pm
There are lots of MPD services that could benefit from bigger buses. However, there are some services within that brand that don't get enough passengers.

Some bigger buses on the East Durham possibly. I agree, the 265 can get very busy, especially Durham-Hetton. I saw a MPD leaving Durrham full with a couple of standees not too long ago. The 202 can get busy too. I'd say the 208 doesn't get busy enough for anything busier than a MPD.

The North Tyne Links service aren't that busy. Although, the 80 is very busy at peak times. The 40/41 overall depends. Wallsend-Howdon can be busy if a 1 is running behind, but if a 1 is in front it doesn't get very busy.

Venture services can get busy too. V1/V2 are the most popular services from the lot, I've saw a MPD full a few times leaving Consett. Saying that, the V8 can also get very busy. Consett-Castleside has been quiet when I've saw it though. The V9 and 689 are poorly used in my opinion though.

The Tynedale Links services are a bit up and down too. The 74, 688 and 686 could do with a upgrade as they are usually very busy, but the 683/687 should just stay with MPD's.
Malarkey   15 Sep 2013, 3:35 pm
(15 Sep 2013, 3:27 pm)citaro5284 wrote Refer to post 1209 - there is a quote from BusmanT who says there is a possibility of 15 more vehicles

There was something further back than that, when we first received the Optare order announcement, which was a good few weeks back.
CatsFast101   15 Sep 2013, 3:37 pm
(15 Sep 2013, 3:27 pm)W179SCU wrote There are lots of MPD services that could benefit from bigger buses. However, there are some services within that brand that don't get enough passengers.

Some bigger buses on the East Durham possibly. I agree, the 265 can get very busy, especially Durham-Hetton. I saw a MPD leaving Durrham full with a couple of standees not too long ago. The 202 can get busy too. I'd say the 208 doesn't get busy enough for anything busier than a MPD.

The North Tyne Links service aren't that busy. Although, the 80 is very busy at peak times. The 40/41 overall depends. Wallsend-Howdon can be busy if a 1 is running behind, but if a 1 is in front it doesn't get very busy.

Venture services can get busy too. V1/V2 are the most popular services from the lot, I've saw a MPD full a few times leaving Consett. Saying that, the V8 can also get very busy. Consett-Castleside has been quiet when I've saw it though. The V9 and 689 are poorly used in my opinion though.

The Tynedale Links services are a bit up and down too. The 74, 688 and 686 could do with a upgrade as they are usually very busy, but the 683/687 should just stay with MPD's.

I mean the current interworking at Peterlee means they could get two vehicle types something smaller: Solo SR's for 201/206/208/209/923 and something larger Versas (if there's any spares after fleet changes) for the 202/265/260/259. I was just thinking about there's a lot of Solars spare, could they be shuffled around and some Renowns or something for NorthTyne Links services?
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
cbma06   15 Sep 2013, 3:43 pm
(15 Sep 2013, 3:35 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote There was something further back than that, when we first received the Optare order announcement, which was a good few weeks back.

There was a mention somewhere on here about new streetlite buses going onto service 60 and the versas on the 60 will be going on service 61, and also new streetlite buses for service 53/54 with the versas on 53/54 going onto Washington street shuttle bus services and also a mention about the simplicity versas that's on the 61 will be going on service 39.

legend   15 Sep 2013, 3:52 pm
(15 Sep 2013, 1:31 pm)citaro5284 wrote No 'If' about it, new double deckers are ordered for the 56.

Alleluia!
Dan   15 Sep 2013, 4:01 pm
On a slightly different note -
A lot of "Red Arrows" Geminis joined "Northern" B7s of the President and Vyking variety on the R1 service today. So much so, it is reported that a plum Solar has been on X1s today!

The revised 20 minute frequency seemed to work well on "Crusader" service 27 today, but I must say that the X27 was appalling. In attendance were 4x "Loop" branded vehicles and 3x "Highwayman" branded vehicles - there could have been more, but I didn't see any.
After an hour of waiting (1310 to 1410), I did not see a single X27 depart... Drivers had to wait for passengers to actually get on the bus before they could depart. Now, with incorrectly branded vehicles (it was expected) when blinds are not being displayed as the electrics were off for all vehicles, how can passengers be expected to use these buses?

What was rather irritating was that these services are all VOSA registered, yes? Are bus operators therefore allowed to axe services on the spot because no passengers wanted to board the vehicle at South Shields?
Surely the running costs would still go ahead as planned too? Driver wages, fuel consumption whilst en-route, bus station use costs... The X27 was timetabled to depart 'every few minutes'; there were at least 7 vehicles in attendance for this service, so would anyone like to calculate an approximate running cost for the service (even if it wasn't ever to depart South Shields) between 13:00 and 17:00, given that it stops at South Shields Town Centre, Jarrow Bus Station, Heworth Interchange, Gateshead Interchange and Haymarket Bus Station? It is worse that these X27s were scheduled to arrive at Haymarket, rather than Market Street West - there's an additional 50p (average) per scheduled use of the bus station... Hmm...
Malarkey   15 Sep 2013, 4:06 pm
Found where we need to be to find what were looking for P60 onwards
http://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/showth...hp?tid=491&page=60
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
gtom   15 Sep 2013, 4:08 pm
Question on new bus orders in the future.

Say 2 years down the line when perhaps the Hybrids are getting weary of the alleged regular frequency of the 21, can anyone think of other suitable routes where we'll see cascading of the Hybrids too?

I've always thought they'd be nice on the fairly harmless X66 (minus the one registered route through Dunston with the low bridge) if/when the Bendy's ever departed
Dan   15 Sep 2013, 4:11 pm
(15 Sep 2013, 4:08 pm)gtomlinson wrote Question on new bus orders in the future.

Say 2 years down the line when perhaps the Hybrids are getting weary of the alleged regular frequency of the 21, can anyone think of other suitable routes where we'll see cascading of the Hybrids too?

I've always thought they'd be nice on the fairly harmless X66 (minus the one registered route through Dunston with the low bridge) if/when the Bendy's ever departed

The route has a low bridge at Centrelink/Pipewellgate, and all runs are meant to use that route.
Of course the X66 could serve a new route, but then it would no longer serve its 'dedicated route', as it does as present.
gtom   15 Sep 2013, 4:18 pm
(15 Sep 2013, 4:11 pm)Daniel wrote The route has a low bridge at Centrelink/Pipewellgate, and all runs are meant to use that route.
Of course the X66 could serve a new route, but then it would no longer serve its 'dedicated route', as it does as present.

I forgot about Centrelink as everytime I'm on the bus it never gets used (and that's before the works at Central Pub)
Dan   15 Sep 2013, 4:54 pm
(15 Sep 2013, 4:51 pm)Liam wrote Trust me, it's used from dawn to dusk daily!

Liam loves the roar of a Merc artic, don't ya? Wink
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Adrian   15 Sep 2013, 4:57 pm
There's something that's always intrigued me. Why do you quite often see services that are yet to terminate but not far from the terminus, with the incorrect destination blind set? This photo below for example:

[Image: 9741073047_4fda86672b.jpg]
Photo credit: Sean Harris.

I've notice this happens quite often with buses passing through Blackett Street onwards to Eldon Square bus station. It only ever seems to be specific services that do it, which made me think it could perhaps be automated and not working correctly? Seen this on the X1, X9/X10, 10, and 21 through Newcastle, the 2A/2C in Washington, and the 2A/2C/56 in Sunderland.

gtom   15 Sep 2013, 5:01 pm
(15 Sep 2013, 4:57 pm)aureolin wrote There's something that's always intrigued me. Why do you quite often see services that are yet to terminate but not far from the terminus, with the incorrect destination blind set? This photo below for example:

[Image: 9741073047_4fda86672b.jpg]
Photo credit: Sean Harris.

I've notice this happens quite often with buses passing through Blackett Street onwards to Eldon Square bus station. It only ever seems to be specific services that do it, which made me think it could perhaps be automated and not working correctly? Seen this on the X1, X9/X10, 10, and 21 through Newcastle, the 2A/2C in Washington, and the 2A/2C/56 in Sunderland.

I assume because the 21 doesn't pick up any passengers (though technically it could) after entering Newcastle and to allow the driver to pull straight onto stand so people can see if he's Durham or CLS before he enters on stand

Time saving efficiency?

The old 221/723 services used to roll the blinds way before Worswick Street then Eldon Square too
Pages (27)    111 12 1327