Menu

Pages (8)    15 6 7 8   
Andreos1   05 Dec 2015, 9:48 pm
(05 Dec 2015, 9:46 pm)BusLoverMum wrote I used to go for a pint or 3 in the Ship Inn, most Fridays, after work. Great spit and sawdust pub, but didn't serve food back then, so never ate more than a packet or 3 of Kettlechips. Was just before the Cluny opened, when I last went.

Always managed to somehow miss it when down there.
If the food prep area is bad, it makes me wonder what the pipes are like and how dirty the cellar is.
BusLoverMum   05 Dec 2015, 9:52 pm
(05 Dec 2015, 9:48 pm)Andreos1 wrote Always managed to somehow miss it when down there.
If the food prep area is bad, it makes me wonder what the pipes are like and how dirty the cellar is.

I don't think they served food at all back then (over 15 years ago). The beer was always well kept, then, though. The ladies' loos were a crouch and don't touch the sides experience, mind!
Andreos1   11 Feb 2016, 11:42 am
Jeremy Kyle visits Newcastle

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nort...s-10869521

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Tom   26 Mar 2016, 5:34 pm
Was in the metrocentre today and noticed there's loads of new restaurants opened or nearly opened. Five Guys looks great but sadly wasn't open yet. TGI Fridays, Coast to Coast, Byron and quite a few others were nearly open but I can't remember the rest.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Kuyoyo   26 Mar 2016, 5:43 pm
(26 Mar 2016, 5:34 pm)Tom wrote Was in the metrocentre today and noticed there's loads of new restaurants opened or nearly opened. Five Guys looks great but sadly wasn't open yet. TGI Fridays, Coast to Coast, Byron and quite a few others were nearly open but I can't remember the rest.

Five Guys opens 4th April - quite handily in time for the Metrocentre Rally. I would fully recommend it - I tried it for the first time while I was down in Sheffield back in January and it was amazing.
Adrian   26 Mar 2016, 5:45 pm
(26 Mar 2016, 5:34 pm)Tom wrote Was in the metrocentre today and noticed there's loads of new restaurants opened or nearly opened. Five Guys looks great but sadly wasn't open yet. TGI Fridays, Coast to Coast, Byron and quite a few others were nearly open but I can't remember the rest.

There's also a Five Guys opening on the corner of Northumberland Street/New Bridge St West, where the Vision Express used to be.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Tom   26 Mar 2016, 5:48 pm
(26 Mar 2016, 5:43 pm)Kuyoyo wrote Five Guys opens 4th April - quite handily in time for the Metrocentre Rally. I would fully recommend it - I tried it for the first time while I was down in Sheffield back in January and it was amazing.

Will definitely try it then next time I'm there love a good burger.

@Adrian that's great too - it's unbelievable how many new restaurants are opening in town now with greys quarter too.
Kuyoyo   26 Mar 2016, 5:52 pm
Just to highlight Five Guys choice - this is just a 2 'patty' burger, you can have as many as you dare in one bun

.jpeg
image.jpeg (Size 2.33 MB Downloads 12)
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Tom   26 Mar 2016, 5:58 pm
(26 Mar 2016, 5:52 pm)Kuyoyo wrote Just to highlight Five Guys choice - this is just a 2 'patty' burger, you can have as many as you dare in one bun

Looks decent Smile
Looked at the menu and seems you can have as many toppings as you like so that's even better!
Andreos1   26 Mar 2016, 7:28 pm

Not a fan of these corporate chain places at all.
Had a visit to Coast to Coast at some point last year (the one in the Gate) and wasn't impressed.

However, on a lads night out just before Christmas, we stumbled in to Byrons (the old Waterstones).
Dunno whether it was the beer or not, but I really enjoyed what I had.

Longhorns takes some beating mind.

NK53 TKT   26 Mar 2016, 7:30 pm
(26 Mar 2016, 7:28 pm)Andreos1 wrote Not a fan of these corporate chain places at all.
Had a visit to Coast to Coast at some point last year (the one in the Gate) and wasn't impressed.

However, on a lads night out just before Christmas, we stumbled in to Byrons (the old Waterstones).

I tried Coast to Coast and I liked it
Tom   26 Mar 2016, 7:31 pm
(26 Mar 2016, 7:28 pm)Andreos1 wrote Not a fan of these corporate chain places at all.

Some chains are not great at all, Frankie and Benny's has gone down hill too. However some are very nice - like Iguanas on grey street where I've been a couple of times, best latin american food in my opinion. Miller and Carter is also one of my favourites.

Wasn't Byron's the old H&M? Can't remember Waterstones being there
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Andreos1   26 Mar 2016, 7:35 pm
(26 Mar 2016, 7:31 pm)Tom wrote Some chains are not great at all, Frankie and Benny's has gone down hill too. However some are very nice - like Iguanas on grey street where I've been a couple of times, best latin american food in my opinion. Miller and Carter is also one of my favourites.

Wasn't Byron's the old H&M? Can't remember Waterstones being there

Coast to Coast is owned by the same group as Frankie and Benny's (more over-rated tosh).

Aye, Waterstones had that site for years. Dunno about H&M.

Tom   26 Mar 2016, 7:41 pm
(26 Mar 2016, 7:35 pm)Andreos1 wrote Coast to Coast is owned by the same group as Frankie and Benny's (more over-rated tosh).

Aye, Waterstones had that site for years. Dunno about H&M.

I thought the menus were similar.

Ah ok I think it was H&M for a few years.
Andreos1   04 Apr 2016, 10:03 pm
McNasties Monopoly.
Anyone else playing?

Really getting in to it this year and have won some prizes by Wombling. 
It seems everyone is after free food and are disregarding the rest of the stickers.

Tom   04 Apr 2016, 10:18 pm
(04 Apr 2016, 10:03 pm)Andreos1 wrote McNasties Monopoly.
Anyone else playing?

It seems everyone is after free food and are disregarding the rest of the stickers.

Best I've won is a free quarter pounder or Big Mac haha but yeah I've got rid of most the other ones, you can win a free holiday or something? I don't go to McDonald's a lot anyway as there's not one close by to go at dinner so it's mainly KFC.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Jimmi   04 Apr 2016, 10:22 pm
(04 Apr 2016, 10:03 pm)Andreos1 wrote McNasties Monopoly.
Anyone else playing?

Played once this year, nothing as ever for me! [emoji19]
Andreos1   04 Apr 2016, 10:44 pm
(04 Apr 2016, 10:18 pm)Tom wrote Best I've won is a free quarter pounder or Big Mac haha but yeah I've got rid of most the other ones, you can win a free holiday or something? I don't go to McDonald's a lot anyway as there's not one close by to go at dinner so it's mainly KFC.

Wallsend High St KFC?

Mind, some Monopoly food ones get chucked too...

(04 Apr 2016, 10:22 pm)Jimmi wrote Played once this year, nothing as ever for me! [emoji19]

Keep at it Jimmi. Had a free apple pie today from a voucher left lying.

Jimmi   04 Apr 2016, 10:45 pm
(04 Apr 2016, 10:44 pm)Andreos1 wrote Keep at it Jimmi. Had a free apple pie today from a voucher left lying.

I tell a lie, I did actually win an apple pie once. That's probably the best I'll ever do!
Tom   04 Apr 2016, 10:54 pm
(04 Apr 2016, 10:44 pm)Andreos1 wrote Wallsend High St KFC?

Mind, some Monopoly food ones get chucked too...

Keep at it Jimmi. Had a free apple pie today from a voucher left lying.

Aye haven't been going as much though as they are getting too slow and then we've nearly been late back. They're building a BK in Wallsend too but they seem to be dodgy depending on what branch you go to - Metrocentre is always fast but the North Shields one is so slow.

Still haven't claimed my Big Mac so will have to sometime - I'm sure you'll get something sometime Jimmi I did on my first go
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Jimmi   09 Apr 2016, 1:33 pm
Had my dinner at Five Guys in the Trafford Centre today and I loved it. Had bacon burger and fries plus they do free refills on the drinks and they have a few different options with me opting for Cherry Coke. First time I've been and it won't be the last, pleased we now have one at the MetroCentre and one in Newcastle opening soon.
Tom   09 Apr 2016, 2:07 pm
(09 Apr 2016, 1:33 pm)Jimmi wrote Had my dinner at Five Guys in the Trafford Centre today and I loved it. Had bacon burger and fries plus they do free refills on the drinks and they have a few different options with me opting for Cherry Coke. First time I've been and it won't be the last, pleased we now have one at the MetroCentre and one in Newcastle opening soon.

Will give it a go when I next go to the Metrocentre looks canny though
northern156   11 Apr 2016, 9:21 pm
(09 Apr 2016, 1:33 pm)Jimmi wrote Had my dinner at Five Guys in the Trafford Centre today and I loved it. Had bacon burger and fries plus they do free refills on the drinks and they have a few different options with me opting for Cherry Coke. First time I've been and it won't be the last, pleased we now have one at the MetroCentre and one in Newcastle opening soon.

Where abouts will the one at Newcastle be do you know please, Jimmi?

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
Jimmi   11 Apr 2016, 9:23 pm
(11 Apr 2016, 9:21 pm)northern156 wrote Where abouts will the one at Newcastle be do you know please, Jimmi?
It's going to be in the old Vision Express on Northumberland Street.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
northern156   11 Apr 2016, 9:25 pm
(11 Apr 2016, 9:23 pm)Jimmi wrote It's going to be in the old Vision Express on Northumberland Street.

Sounds ace, pretty easily accessible then! Never been to one myself but based on your review I'll definitely give it a shot.

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
Malarkey   11 Apr 2016, 9:40 pm
Greggs Spicey Chicken and Pepperoni Lattices #Unbelievable
BusLoverMum   11 Apr 2016, 10:00 pm
(11 Apr 2016, 9:40 pm)Malarkey wrote Greggs Spicey Chicken and Pepperoni Lattices #Unbelievable

I can believe it. Wink

#NotAGreggsFan
BusLoverMum   11 Apr 2016, 10:12 pm
(11 Apr 2016, 9:25 pm)northern156 wrote Sounds ace, pretty easily accessible then! Never been to one myself but based on your review I'll definitely give it a shot.

Looks like big'un would approve, as you have to ask them to put the mayo on, rather than to leave it out! We've ruled out so many burger places because there is nothing that says you're allowed to ask them to leave it off and, bolshy as he is, he can't have something that is not specified on the menu (eg a mayo free burger!)

OTOH, I forsee a trip to Nando's with littl'un. He's been eating curry, this week. The one I made today turned out not terribly mild, but he wolfed it down, once he'd had a taste. He's also discovered M&S ham sandwiches with mustard mayo. Pulled a surprised face, the first time he tried some, then inhaled it!
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Tom   12 Apr 2016, 2:26 pm
(11 Apr 2016, 9:40 pm)Malarkey wrote Greggs Spicey Chicken and Pepperoni Lattices #Unbelievable

Had one today for my dinner, they were ok but didn't seem to have a lot of pepperoni in?
Michael   12 Apr 2016, 2:32 pm
I liked the Japanese curry Lattices they did, not sure if you can still get them though.

Wish they would do a selection for a while then ask people to vote their favorite to keep them on permanently, sick of going to Gregg's and seeing they've took it off because its limited addition!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Pages (8)    15 6 7 8