Menu

Pages (128)    175 76 77128   
Jimmi   04 Jun 2016, 10:07 pm
It's embarrassing enough taking photos of buses as it is at times without a load of teenagers shouting "they are taking photos etc." for everyone around Leeds Bus Station to hear.
Adrian   04 Jun 2016, 10:14 pm
(04 Jun 2016, 10:07 pm)Jimmi wrote It's embarrassing enough taking photos of buses as it is at times without a load of teenagers shouting "they are taking photos etc." for everyone around Leeds Bus Station to hear.

I may be missing the point here, but why do you find it embarrassing taking photos? Or more so, if you find it embarrassing, then why do you do it? It's supposed to be a hobby.

I'd just ignore them if I were you, and just continue on with what you're doing.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
BusLoverMum   04 Jun 2016, 10:15 pm
(04 Jun 2016, 10:07 pm)Jimmi wrote It's embarrassing enough taking photos of buses as it is at times without a load of teenagers shouting "they are taking photos etc." for everyone around Leeds Bus Station to hear.

Hah! We're thinking of going down to Leeds before the end of the month (Train to Leeds, Cityzap to York then train to Durham) Will have to brazen it out. Watch me petrify the sods Big Grin

It's easy in Edinburgh and York because everyone is walking with a camera in front of their face, sometimes even on a selfie stick!
Adrian   04 Jun 2016, 10:19 pm
(04 Jun 2016, 10:15 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Hah! We're thinking of going down to Leeds before the end of the month (Train to Leeds, Cityzap to York then train to Durham) Will have to brazen it out. Watch me petrify the sods Big Grin

It's easy in Edinburgh and York because everyone is walking with a camera in front of their face, sometimes even on a selfie stick!

I'd recommend doing the train to Harrogate (change at York), and then do the 36 followed by Cityzap? The 36 is the better out of the two if I'm honest.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Jimmi   04 Jun 2016, 10:24 pm
(04 Jun 2016, 10:14 pm)Adrian wrote I may be missing the point here, but why do you find it embarrassing taking photos? Or more so, if you find it embarrassing, then why do you do it? It's supposed to be a hobby.

I'd just ignore them if I were you, and just continue on with what you're doing.
I don't mind normally, as I am just getting on with it without interpretation and not everyone will notice me taking photos, but when you've got loud teens shouting at you round a busy bus station, more people will draw their attentions to us and start to judge and start looking at you, especially as some of the clientele round Leeds Bus Station wasn't the best this afternoon. It feels as if them shouting is drawing an audience to us and I could see some of the judgmental faces from other people lingering round at the time.
BusLoverMum   04 Jun 2016, 10:25 pm
(04 Jun 2016, 10:19 pm)Adrian wrote I'd recommend doing the train to Harrogate (change at York), and then do the 36 followed by Cityzap? The 36 is the better out of the two if I'm honest.

That's for another time. Big'un wants a nosy at the big places, first (and flaming Carlisle, which I can't get enthused about - bus there, train back. Train costs a fortune unless you travel at a stupid time). I'd quite like to spend a couple of hours in Leeds and have lunch there before moving on. Though last time I was there, it was with Husband and friends, in Hogshead (see - long time ago) drinking our way through jugs of black Russians!

Also slightly scared that I'd bump into the ex outlaws in Harrogate, even if they're too old for that, now.
Tom   04 Jun 2016, 10:27 pm
(04 Jun 2016, 10:14 pm)Adrian wrote I may be missing the point here, but why do you find it embarrassing taking photos? Or more so, if you find it embarrassing, then why do you do it? It's supposed to be a hobby.

It's easier said than done just to ignore people though as it can make you feel anxious if you have people staring at you or making snide comments as it can put you off and make you feel anxious. I do understand jimmis point and it's even worse when you see someone you know or your in a local area.
Adrian   04 Jun 2016, 10:29 pm
(04 Jun 2016, 10:24 pm)Jimmi wrote I don't mind normally, as I am just getting on with it without interpretation and not everyone will notice me taking photos, but when you've got loud teens shouting at you round a busy bus station, more people will draw their attentions to us and start to judge and start looking at you, especially as some of the clientele round Leeds Bus Station wasn't the best this afternoon. It feels as if them shouting is drawing an audience to us and I could see some of the judgmental faces from other people lingering round at the time.

When you're standing with a big camera, people are well aware that you're taking photos. They will probably judge you regardless of kids verbally pointing it out, but the chances of them saying what they're thinking is slim. 

Although I appreciate that it's not very nice, I do think you may be reading too much into it, and I really don't think you need to. Smile

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
MurdnunoC   05 Jun 2016, 2:58 pm
The inability of some to acknowledge their mistakes. If one has supplied incorrect information then surely there's no shame in saying 'Sorry, I was wrong' especially if one seemingly takes great pleasure in pointing out the mistakes of others.
Rapidsnap   07 Jun 2016, 12:35 am
Left a few facebook groups because I'm sick of seeing stupid suggestions and pointless questions. I get enough of it at work, I don't want to have to see it everytime it pops up on my news feed on Facebook.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Jimmi   07 Jun 2016, 1:15 pm
It's one of the hottest days of the year so far and guess who's got a cold! [emoji20]
MurdnunoC   07 Jun 2016, 4:27 pm
(07 Jun 2016, 1:15 pm)Jimmi wrote It's one of the hottest days of the year so far and guess who's got a cold! [emoji20]

Timmy Mallett?
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
PO51WNF   07 Jun 2016, 5:55 pm
227 pages of moaning. This is a brilliant idea for a thread Big Grin

What's annoying me today is that every thunderstorm seems to be just missing where I live, so I can hear the thunder in the distance but it never actually gets here Sad
biglugs@yahoo.com   07 Jun 2016, 6:12 pm
The renowns are going

Best bus ever
NK53 TKT   07 Jun 2016, 6:34 pm
(07 Jun 2016, 6:12 pm)biglugs@yahoo.com wrote The renowns are going

That's a reason to have a party, renowns are vile Cool Big Grin Angel Blush
BusLoverMum   07 Jun 2016, 7:06 pm
(07 Jun 2016, 5:55 pm)PO51WNF wrote 227 pages of moaning. This is a brilliant idea for a thread Big Grin

What's annoying me today is that every thunderstorm seems to be just missing where I live, so I can hear the thunder in the distance but it never actually gets here Sad

I was quite thankful for that. The closest one to us was the one at Sedgefield at school chucking out time. We got no more than a few spots, while the sky was still blue-ish.

Doubly thankful because I assured a neighbour that the storms weren't supposed to be coming this close to the coast, so it would be safe to put her washing out while she went to work!
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Michael   07 Jun 2016, 10:44 pm
Got to be up at 5:30am tomorrow and i can't sleep and its quite warm tonight. -.-

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Jamie M   07 Jun 2016, 11:10 pm
(07 Jun 2016, 10:44 pm)Michael wrote Got to be up at 5:30am tomorrow and i can't sleep and its quite warm tonight. -.-
Better than being in so-called Costa Del Easington!
I regularly fall asleep rather than trying to sleep, I ironically end up being awake longer if I try to sleep rather than just dropping asleep. Me and warm summer nights don't mix (he says whilst booking a 3 week break to South Spain and France), making my attempts at sleep even worse during the short-lived warmth up north.
biglugs@yahoo.com   07 Jun 2016, 11:34 pm
(07 Jun 2016, 6:34 pm)NK53 TKT wrote That's a reason to have a party, renowns are vile Cool Big Grin Angel Blush

I should have a bigger party when all urban90 seats are gone

Best bus ever
Michael   08 Jun 2016, 5:29 am
(07 Jun 2016, 11:10 pm)Jamie M wrote Better than being in so-called Costa Del Easington!
I regularly fall asleep rather than trying to sleep, I ironically end up being awake longer if I try to sleep rather than just dropping asleep. Me and warm summer nights don't mix (he says whilst booking a 3 week break to South Spain and France), making my attempts at sleep even worse during the short-lived warmth up north.

Wish i could, these early mornings are killing me, done 8am till 5:30pm, all week so far, its my last 8am start tomorrow but i finish at 1 then I'm off on Friday and Monday, I'm off to get drunk haha

Hopefully it'll be Costa Del Sunderland again today!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
NK53 TKT   08 Jun 2016, 6:09 am
(07 Jun 2016, 11:34 pm)biglugs@yahoo.com wrote I should have a bigger party when all urban90 seats are gone

Sad Angel No, don't go there or get me started, but URBAN 90s are good Blush
PO51WNF   08 Jun 2016, 3:42 pm
(07 Jun 2016, 7:06 pm)BusLoverMum wrote I was quite thankful for that. The closest one to us was the one at Sedgefield at school chucking out time. We got no more than a few spots, while the sky was still blue-ish.

Doubly thankful because I assured a neighbour that the storms weren't supposed to be coming this close to the coast, so it would be safe to put her washing out while she went to work!

Well a thunderstorm is currently passing over my house, so I'm happy now Smile
BusLoverMum   08 Jun 2016, 10:08 pm
(08 Jun 2016, 3:42 pm)PO51WNF wrote Well a thunderstorm is currently passing over my house, so I'm happy now Smile

Hope you enjoyed it Wink
Jimmi   09 Jun 2016, 4:30 pm
Saw 7487 parked up in the layover bays in Durham Bus Station this afternoon, so I decided to take a photo of it, unfortunately it is a little difficult when you're trying to photograph it from stand A with the standard camera lense which doesn't zoom in anywhere near enough. I took one shot which was a bit of a duff shot, unfortunately I didn't feel like taking a second as the bus station security stood behind me and after I took the first shot he asked me if I was taking a photo of the bus or the driver? So this left me having to edit this shot to make it close to acceptable, think I've just got away with it. I do wonder if he'll have asked me the same question if it wasn't a female driver? Dodgy
[Image: 27490812411_94c4c894d9.jpg]Arriva North East: 7487 / LJ51DHZ by Matthew Jimmison, on Flickr
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Adrian   09 Jun 2016, 6:21 pm
(09 Jun 2016, 4:30 pm)Jimmi wrote Saw 7487 parked up in the layover bays in Durham Bus Station this afternoon, so I decided to take a photo of it, unfortunately it is a little difficult when you're trying to photograph it from stand A with the standard camera lense which doesn't zoom in anywhere near enough. I took one shot which was a bit of a duff shot, unfortunately I didn't feel like taking a second as the bus station security stood behind me and after I took the first shot he asked me if I was taking a photo of the bus or the driver? So this left me having to edit this shot to make it close to acceptable, think I've just got away with it. I do wonder if he'll have asked me the same question if it wasn't a female driver? Dodgy 

I bought one of these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001EO6W8K/

Best move I've made if I'm honest. You get a good zoom length with it, and it isn't much more bulky than the 18-55mm kit lens that came with the camera. It's all I use now.

Jimmi   09 Jun 2016, 6:43 pm
(09 Jun 2016, 6:21 pm)Adrian wrote I bought one of these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001EO6W8K/

Best move I've made if I'm honest. You get a good zoom length with it, and it isn't much more bulky than the 18-55mm kit lens that came with the camera. It's all I use now.

I also have a 55-128?mm lens but I rarely take it out with me as most of the time I can get away with using the 18-55mm lens, sometimes a little cropping is required. It's only really required in situations like this, think about the only time I've used it was when I went to Jesmond depot last year to photograph the recently delivered Sapphire 7/24 Enviro 400's. I was looking at the lens one of my friends has with his Nikon the other day.
LeeCalder   09 Jun 2016, 10:34 pm
(09 Jun 2016, 4:30 pm)Jimmi wrote Saw 7487 parked up in the layover bays in Durham Bus Station this afternoon, so I decided to take a photo of it, unfortunately it is a little difficult when you're trying to photograph it from stand A with the standard camera lense which doesn't zoom in anywhere near enough. I took one shot which was a bit of a duff shot, unfortunately I didn't feel like taking a second as the bus station security stood behind me and after I took the first shot he asked me if I was taking a photo of the bus or the driver? So this left me having to edit this shot to make it close to acceptable, think I've just got away with it. I do wonder if he'll have asked me the same question if it wasn't a female driver? Dodgy
[Image: 27490812411_94c4c894d9.jpg]Arriva North East: 7487 / LJ51DHZ by Matthew Jimmison, on Flickr

Looks like Durham's Relief Inspector at the wheel to me Jimmi, and he is male... haha.
Jimmi   09 Jun 2016, 10:38 pm
(09 Jun 2016, 10:34 pm)LeeCalder wrote Looks like Durham's Relief Inspector at the wheel to me Jimmi, and he is male... haha.
Didn't realise that there was anyone actually in the cab, if you zoom in you can just see the reflection of the female driver in the windscreen who I cropped out of the photo.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Jimmi   10 Jun 2016, 3:02 pm
In 10 minutes we've made it from County Hall to St. Leonards School!!! [emoji35]
Jimmi   10 Jun 2016, 3:42 pm
When I was in the queue for the 7 that I am on now:

Those of us in the queue saw the 7 come in and even me from far back in the queue could see that a driver changeover was taking place (as it is a Belmont working - 1523) but a large group of pensioners and students swooped past us all and when they got to the front they noticed the driver changeover and upon discovery of this, did they go to the back of the busy queue, did they hell! Most of them ended up getting on in front of me which really angered me as I had already missed the run 20 minutes in front and as I know that the next three runs start at Framwellgate Moor I knew that they would arrive back in Durham goodness knows how late, so as I really wanted to be on this bus and was in a completly angry mood with determination to get on this bus.

Oh and if that doesn't make you want to punch people, trying to walk from one end of the bus station to the other will as it's like a bloody assault course trying to get round everybody.
Pages (128)    175 76 77128