Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2

Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2

Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (108) Previous 141 42 43108 Next
Swiny1

25 Nov 2017, 9:45 am #821
Certain runs change journey at Fellgate. Mainly on a night

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Swiny1
25 Nov 2017, 9:45 am #821

Certain runs change journey at Fellgate. Mainly on a night

27 Nov 2017, 1:50 pm #822
(23 Nov 2017, 8:59 pm)nk55 Does anybody from Sunderland travel the full route by bus when the metro is quicker?

It's an hour by the 9 and you couldn't do Sunderland to North Shields, including the inconvenience of changing at Monument, by Metro in an hour. Though there is only one through 9 per hour on this stupid timetable and a Metro every 12 minutes.
Greg in Weardale
27 Nov 2017, 1:50 pm #822

(23 Nov 2017, 8:59 pm)nk55 Does anybody from Sunderland travel the full route by bus when the metro is quicker?

It's an hour by the 9 and you couldn't do Sunderland to North Shields, including the inconvenience of changing at Monument, by Metro in an hour. Though there is only one through 9 per hour on this stupid timetable and a Metro every 12 minutes.

Jamie M

Unregistered

27 Nov 2017, 2:11 pm #823
The 9 timetable is a mess. The short journey to Jarrow from North Shields is crazy. The evening and sunday timetables are higher specification and generally more frequent from North Shields.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalkp
Jamie M
27 Nov 2017, 2:11 pm #823

The 9 timetable is a mess. The short journey to Jarrow from North Shields is crazy. The evening and sunday timetables are higher specification and generally more frequent from North Shields.

Jimmi

27 Nov 2017, 2:22 pm #824
From my limited experiences of the 9, from the Sunderland end of the route, most of the passengers seem to get off at Boldon Asda and a few may carry on towards Jarrow, whenever the bus has reached Jarrow Bus Station most of the passengers seem to depart the bus and most of the passengers who travel to North Shields board/alight at Jarrow Bus Station or some of the stops before that, seems like only a few will go the whole or nearly full route from my experiences at least, only time I've really seen people carry onto towards Sunderland is a weekday peak time run from North Shields and even then most of the punters got off long before Sunderland.

I agree that the current set up for the 9 timetable is silly but I couldn't help but think that when it ran on a 15 minute frequency between Sunderland and Jarrow that it seemed somewhat overkill in terms of demand, you would often get the top deck of a Vyking all to yourself the whole way to Jarrow (or at least I would).

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
Jimmi
27 Nov 2017, 2:22 pm #824

From my limited experiences of the 9, from the Sunderland end of the route, most of the passengers seem to get off at Boldon Asda and a few may carry on towards Jarrow, whenever the bus has reached Jarrow Bus Station most of the passengers seem to depart the bus and most of the passengers who travel to North Shields board/alight at Jarrow Bus Station or some of the stops before that, seems like only a few will go the whole or nearly full route from my experiences at least, only time I've really seen people carry onto towards Sunderland is a weekday peak time run from North Shields and even then most of the punters got off long before Sunderland.

I agree that the current set up for the 9 timetable is silly but I couldn't help but think that when it ran on a 15 minute frequency between Sunderland and Jarrow that it seemed somewhat overkill in terms of demand, you would often get the top deck of a Vyking all to yourself the whole way to Jarrow (or at least I would).

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

27 Nov 2017, 2:36 pm #825
(27 Nov 2017, 2:11 pm)Jamie M The 9 timetable is a mess. The short journey to Jarrow from North Shields is crazy. The evening and sunday timetables are higher specification and generally more frequent from North Shields.

Apart from a short time, there has been a bus service between North Shields and Sunderland ever since the Tyne Tunnel opened in 1967, and even at that time the journey lasted 1 hour and 4 minutes. I used the bus frequently when I was a student in Sunderland. The route has also always been a merger of local routes serving housing estates on the south side of the Tyne. At first it was based on a former service 60 which, after Jarrow, went via Simonside, Brockley Whins, John Reid Road and Biddick Hall to East Boldon, now the 9 goes via a former service 26 via Hedworth and Boldon Colliery.
Any alteration which involved a change in Jarrow would only add extra time to the journey, as I can't see the demand for a more direct route from the south end of the Tunnel to Sunderland.
Agreed the timetable for service 9 is a mess; originally there were 4 buses per hour between Sunderland and Jarrow, with 2 being extended to North Shields. However when the decision was taken to reduce the frequency to 3 buses er hour between Sunderland and jarrow, maintaining 2 per hour to Shields would have meant a 20/40 split.
The alternative was always to use the ferry to South Shields, then catch a bus from there to Sunderland, but this was always messy, and the little time saved was outweighed by being on a direct bus. Also the ferry does not operate every evening, hence the need or a bus through the tunnel.
So even though the 9 is the best of a bad job, I would prefer it to stay, rather than lose it altogether. After all, Sunderland is the biggest city in the North-east, and why shouldn't North Tyeside have a bus service there, rather than using the Metro, which adds about 8 miles on to the overall journey?
Ex-conductor
27 Nov 2017, 2:36 pm #825

(27 Nov 2017, 2:11 pm)Jamie M The 9 timetable is a mess. The short journey to Jarrow from North Shields is crazy. The evening and sunday timetables are higher specification and generally more frequent from North Shields.

Apart from a short time, there has been a bus service between North Shields and Sunderland ever since the Tyne Tunnel opened in 1967, and even at that time the journey lasted 1 hour and 4 minutes. I used the bus frequently when I was a student in Sunderland. The route has also always been a merger of local routes serving housing estates on the south side of the Tyne. At first it was based on a former service 60 which, after Jarrow, went via Simonside, Brockley Whins, John Reid Road and Biddick Hall to East Boldon, now the 9 goes via a former service 26 via Hedworth and Boldon Colliery.
Any alteration which involved a change in Jarrow would only add extra time to the journey, as I can't see the demand for a more direct route from the south end of the Tunnel to Sunderland.
Agreed the timetable for service 9 is a mess; originally there were 4 buses per hour between Sunderland and Jarrow, with 2 being extended to North Shields. However when the decision was taken to reduce the frequency to 3 buses er hour between Sunderland and jarrow, maintaining 2 per hour to Shields would have meant a 20/40 split.
The alternative was always to use the ferry to South Shields, then catch a bus from there to Sunderland, but this was always messy, and the little time saved was outweighed by being on a direct bus. Also the ferry does not operate every evening, hence the need or a bus through the tunnel.
So even though the 9 is the best of a bad job, I would prefer it to stay, rather than lose it altogether. After all, Sunderland is the biggest city in the North-east, and why shouldn't North Tyeside have a bus service there, rather than using the Metro, which adds about 8 miles on to the overall journey?

Andreos1

27 Nov 2017, 2:40 pm #826

Had a check to see how long the current timetable has been in place. Discussion and VOSA changes are referenced from p14 in this thread.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
27 Nov 2017, 2:40 pm #826

Had a check to see how long the current timetable has been in place. Discussion and VOSA changes are referenced from p14 in this thread.

Jimmi

28 Nov 2017, 3:28 pm #827
Following on from the discussions of potential service changes on South Tyneside, GNE have now published info on the changes, effective from Sunday 28th January 2018.

New year new bus services for South Tyneside: http://newsroom.gonortheast.co.uk/news/n...ide-281260
Edited 28 Nov 2017, 3:32 pm by Jimmi.
Jimmi
28 Nov 2017, 3:28 pm #827

Following on from the discussions of potential service changes on South Tyneside, GNE have now published info on the changes, effective from Sunday 28th January 2018.

New year new bus services for South Tyneside: http://newsroom.gonortheast.co.uk/news/n...ide-281260

28 Nov 2017, 3:59 pm #828
Interesting, it still feels like there's going to be a cut in services without it saying as such? How is the 9 going to do the 88 and 88A, I'm not sure how they're actually different?
deanmachine
28 Nov 2017, 3:59 pm #828

Interesting, it still feels like there's going to be a cut in services without it saying as such? How is the 9 going to do the 88 and 88A, I'm not sure how they're actually different?

GuyParkRoyal

28 Nov 2017, 4:31 pm #829
(28 Nov 2017, 3:59 pm)deanmachine Interesting, it still feels like there's going to be a cut in services without it saying as such? How is the 9 going to do the 88 and 88A, I'm not sure how they're actually different?

The 88/88A provides a cross Hebburn service with a clock and anti clock circuit between Station Road and Lukes Lane with through journeys allowed. The through journeys allow passengers in the Hartleyburn Avenue and Crawley Avenue area a link to the doctors surgery and schools on Campbell Park Road. In the other direction the estates along Campbell Park Road have a direct link to the community centre on Crawley Avenue.
The fact that Go North East remains silent on maintaining the through service makes me think it will be removed resulting in passengers having to make a journey to Station Road and change buses to complete their journey.
Edited 28 Nov 2017, 4:33 pm by GuyParkRoyal.
GuyParkRoyal
28 Nov 2017, 4:31 pm #829

(28 Nov 2017, 3:59 pm)deanmachine Interesting, it still feels like there's going to be a cut in services without it saying as such? How is the 9 going to do the 88 and 88A, I'm not sure how they're actually different?

The 88/88A provides a cross Hebburn service with a clock and anti clock circuit between Station Road and Lukes Lane with through journeys allowed. The through journeys allow passengers in the Hartleyburn Avenue and Crawley Avenue area a link to the doctors surgery and schools on Campbell Park Road. In the other direction the estates along Campbell Park Road have a direct link to the community centre on Crawley Avenue.
The fact that Go North East remains silent on maintaining the through service makes me think it will be removed resulting in passengers having to make a journey to Station Road and change buses to complete their journey.

Ds1197

28 Nov 2017, 5:03 pm #830
(28 Nov 2017, 4:31 pm)GuyParkRoyal The 88/88A provides a cross Hebburn service with a clock and anti clock circuit between Station Road and Lukes Lane with through journeys allowed. The through journeys allow passengers in the Hartleyburn Avenue and Crawley Avenue area a link to the doctors surgery and schools on Campbell Park Road. In the other direction the estates along Campbell Park Road have a direct link to the community centre on Crawley Avenue.

While it's frequency decerse from 15 minutes to 20 minutes on what it currently the 88/88A I'm not sure about these changes and I'm going guessing you the 26 will be in the crusader brand
Ds1197
28 Nov 2017, 5:03 pm #830

(28 Nov 2017, 4:31 pm)GuyParkRoyal The 88/88A provides a cross Hebburn service with a clock and anti clock circuit between Station Road and Lukes Lane with through journeys allowed. The through journeys allow passengers in the Hartleyburn Avenue and Crawley Avenue area a link to the doctors surgery and schools on Campbell Park Road. In the other direction the estates along Campbell Park Road have a direct link to the community centre on Crawley Avenue.

While it's frequency decerse from 15 minutes to 20 minutes on what it currently the 88/88A I'm not sure about these changes and I'm going guessing you the 26 will be in the crusader brand

Andreos1

28 Nov 2017, 6:08 pm #831
(28 Nov 2017, 3:28 pm)Jimmi Following on from the discussions of potential service changes on South Tyneside, GNE have now published info on the changes, effective from Sunday 28th January 2018.

That 26/27 is a strange one.
Imagine getting on prior to Jarrow and needing to be at the hospital.

'Are you going to turn in to the 26?' Is a phrase I think will be used quite a bit.
Why not have the 26 and 27 operating between Newcastle and Jarrow? Passengers will know from the outset that the bus they're boarding will be heading to a certain point, without having to ask.

On another note, wasnt the frequency of the 27 changed from every 10mins to assist with reliability?
So not only will the vehicles bunch, but potentially a passenger will be stopping 2/3 buses, just to find out which one is going to 'turn in to a 26'!

Andreos1
28 Nov 2017, 6:08 pm #831

(28 Nov 2017, 3:28 pm)Jimmi Following on from the discussions of potential service changes on South Tyneside, GNE have now published info on the changes, effective from Sunday 28th January 2018.

That 26/27 is a strange one.

'Are you going to turn in to the 26?' Is a phrase I think will be used quite a bit.
Why not have the 26 and 27 operating between Newcastle and Jarrow? Passengers will know from the outset that the bus they're boarding will be heading to a certain point, without having to ask.

On another note, wasnt the frequency of the 27 changed from every 10mins to assist with reliability?
So not only will the vehicles bunch, but potentially a passenger will be stopping 2/3 buses, just to find out which one is going to 'turn in to a 26'!

28 Nov 2017, 6:14 pm #832
(28 Nov 2017, 6:08 pm)Andreos1 That 26/27 is a strange one.

It says a direct link to Newcastle from the Scotch Estate, so I doubt they'll needlessly change to a 27 again in Jarrow, it'll be 26/27 the whole way. You'd think.
deanmachine
28 Nov 2017, 6:14 pm #832

(28 Nov 2017, 6:08 pm)Andreos1 That 26/27 is a strange one.

It says a direct link to Newcastle from the Scotch Estate, so I doubt they'll needlessly change to a 27 again in Jarrow, it'll be 26/27 the whole way. You'd think.

Michael

28 Nov 2017, 6:20 pm #833
Confirms the 9, will get new refurbished citaro's.

Looks like some of the Omnicities from the Coaster, will go on to 5/50.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
28 Nov 2017, 6:20 pm #833

Confirms the 9, will get new refurbished citaro's.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Tom

28 Nov 2017, 6:34 pm #834
(28 Nov 2017, 6:20 pm)Michael Confirms the 9, will get new refurbished citaro's.

Yeah should only need 1 more though - maybe one as a spare too? 

I would say the rest would stay at Percy Main - 8 for the 11, 4 for the 19 and the rest spare replacing all of the Solars.
Tom
28 Nov 2017, 6:34 pm #834

(28 Nov 2017, 6:20 pm)Michael Confirms the 9, will get new refurbished citaro's.

Yeah should only need 1 more though - maybe one as a spare too? 

I would say the rest would stay at Percy Main - 8 for the 11, 4 for the 19 and the rest spare replacing all of the Solars.

Michael

28 Nov 2017, 6:51 pm #835
(28 Nov 2017, 6:34 pm)Tom Yeah should only need 1 more though - maybe one as a spare too? 

Maybe few spares for Washington, i don't see the citaro's going back to Washington after refurb.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
28 Nov 2017, 6:51 pm #835

(28 Nov 2017, 6:34 pm)Tom Yeah should only need 1 more though - maybe one as a spare too? 

Maybe few spares for Washington, i don't see the citaro's going back to Washington after refurb.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

JP6004

28 Nov 2017, 6:54 pm #836
(28 Nov 2017, 6:51 pm)Michael Maybe few spares for Washington, i don't see the citaro's going back to Washington after refurb.

I agree. Probably 5337 & 5338 come back to washy.

I'd say 2 extra PVR for 5/50 with maybe 2 spare
JP6004
28 Nov 2017, 6:54 pm #836

(28 Nov 2017, 6:51 pm)Michael Maybe few spares for Washington, i don't see the citaro's going back to Washington after refurb.

I agree. Probably 5337 & 5338 come back to washy.

S830OFT

28 Nov 2017, 6:54 pm #837
Just heard a rumour that Percy Main are gaining the 5.

S830OFT
28 Nov 2017, 6:54 pm #837

Just heard a rumour that Percy Main are gaining the 5.

Tom

28 Nov 2017, 7:02 pm #838
(28 Nov 2017, 6:54 pm)S830OFT Just heard a rumour that Percy Main are gaining the 5.

I was thinking the 5 may no longer interwork with 50 so this makes sense. Guessing it's better for Percy Main to operate than Washington if it did go standalone.

More Omnicities at Percy Main then....possibly keeping the Eclipses as spare?
Tom
28 Nov 2017, 7:02 pm #838

(28 Nov 2017, 6:54 pm)S830OFT Just heard a rumour that Percy Main are gaining the 5.

I was thinking the 5 may no longer interwork with 50 so this makes sense. Guessing it's better for Percy Main to operate than Washington if it did go standalone.

More Omnicities at Percy Main then....possibly keeping the Eclipses as spare?

Swiny1

28 Nov 2017, 7:03 pm #839
A mate who knows a few Washington Drivers told me a few weeks ago they had said they were going to start going to North Shields

Swiny1
28 Nov 2017, 7:03 pm #839

A mate who knows a few Washington Drivers told me a few weeks ago they had said they were going to start going to North Shields

Michael

28 Nov 2017, 7:11 pm #840
(28 Nov 2017, 6:54 pm)JP6004 I agree. Probably 5337 & 5338 come back to washy.

Na there both getting refurbished too.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
28 Nov 2017, 7:11 pm #840

(28 Nov 2017, 6:54 pm)JP6004 I agree. Probably 5337 & 5338 come back to washy.

Na there both getting refurbished too.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Pages (108) Previous 141 42 43108 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average