Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2013

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2013

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2013

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (15): Previous 17 8 915 Next
25 Nov 2013, 6:51 pm
(25 Nov 2013, 6:48 pm)Dan If I recall correctly, Stagecoach had a small clip on one of their anti-QCS videos where one of their electric buses went past The Angel and Stadium of Light...
As The Angel is a SC-free zone and Sunderland do not have any E400Hs, I really don't see why it was appropriate to contain clips of their buses at these locations?

Some overpaid marketing exec thinking it looks good no doubt.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
25 Nov 2013, 6:51 pm #141

(25 Nov 2013, 6:48 pm)Dan If I recall correctly, Stagecoach had a small clip on one of their anti-QCS videos where one of their electric buses went past The Angel and Stadium of Light...
As The Angel is a SC-free zone and Sunderland do not have any E400Hs, I really don't see why it was appropriate to contain clips of their buses at these locations?

Some overpaid marketing exec thinking it looks good no doubt.

Dan
Site Administrator
25 Nov 2013, 6:54 pm
(25 Nov 2013, 6:51 pm)aureolin Some overpaid marketing exec thinking it looks good no doubt.

Same thing applies for the marketing of services in these 'photogenic locations' if the service being marketed goes nowhere near that place though, I guess!
Dan
25 Nov 2013, 6:54 pm #142

(25 Nov 2013, 6:51 pm)aureolin Some overpaid marketing exec thinking it looks good no doubt.

Same thing applies for the marketing of services in these 'photogenic locations' if the service being marketed goes nowhere near that place though, I guess!

25 Nov 2013, 9:36 pm
(25 Nov 2013, 5:18 pm)Dan Would that not be better as a separate 'marketing push'?
Maybe one in the City Centre, and one slightly further afield? That said, I'm against companies marketing services in 'photogenic' locations if they don't serve the area anyway.

A lot of GNE's stuff used to be marketed at Quayside and the Metrocentre iirc, and I hated that as it didn't represent that service at all. Must say I'm a fan of the current marketing though - I don't think many would suggest otherwise, unless they aren't lovers of coffee as was discussed on a GNE Facebook post this morning!

I keep telling you, we need a like button on here ! There is one promotion coming up that will be a touch off route, but its all for the right reasons and will be a cracker
busman101
25 Nov 2013, 9:36 pm #143

(25 Nov 2013, 5:18 pm)Dan Would that not be better as a separate 'marketing push'?
Maybe one in the City Centre, and one slightly further afield? That said, I'm against companies marketing services in 'photogenic' locations if they don't serve the area anyway.

A lot of GNE's stuff used to be marketed at Quayside and the Metrocentre iirc, and I hated that as it didn't represent that service at all. Must say I'm a fan of the current marketing though - I don't think many would suggest otherwise, unless they aren't lovers of coffee as was discussed on a GNE Facebook post this morning!

I keep telling you, we need a like button on here ! There is one promotion coming up that will be a touch off route, but its all for the right reasons and will be a cracker

25 Nov 2013, 9:40 pm
I've been told the location of the Service 7 launch is down to the lack of facilities en-route that can accommodate all ten Sapphire vehicles at once, plus entertainment.
VolvoMarkII
25 Nov 2013, 9:40 pm #144

I've been told the location of the Service 7 launch is down to the lack of facilities en-route that can accommodate all ten Sapphire vehicles at once, plus entertainment.

Dan
Site Administrator
25 Nov 2013, 9:42 pm
(25 Nov 2013, 9:36 pm)busman101 I keep telling you, we need a like button on here ! There is one promotion coming up that will be a touch off route, but its all for the right reasons and will be a cracker

A little note - Saturdays are a day to consider too!

If marketing is done on weekday mornings from, let's say, 9am until noon - the majority of the people who you want to attract to buses (workers/commuters - in short, fare paying passengers) are missing out on all of the promotion.
Those who aren't fare paying passengers start to rise from the dead at half 9, and you certainly don't want them being the people who you're spending all of the marketing budget on!

The way I look at it is - if the people promoting are at work, then a lot of others will be too.
(25 Nov 2013, 9:40 pm)VolvoMarkII I've been told the location of the Service 7 launch is down to the lack of facilities en-route that can accommodate all ten Sapphire vehicles at once, plus entertainment.

While this does sound nice and flashy, are all ten "Sapphire" branded vehicles really needed at the launch?
Don't get me wrong, it will attract attention and all... But if you're not appealing to the service's custom?
Unless it's going to be so flashy it manages to get on the news...
Dan
25 Nov 2013, 9:42 pm #145

(25 Nov 2013, 9:36 pm)busman101 I keep telling you, we need a like button on here ! There is one promotion coming up that will be a touch off route, but its all for the right reasons and will be a cracker

A little note - Saturdays are a day to consider too!

If marketing is done on weekday mornings from, let's say, 9am until noon - the majority of the people who you want to attract to buses (workers/commuters - in short, fare paying passengers) are missing out on all of the promotion.
Those who aren't fare paying passengers start to rise from the dead at half 9, and you certainly don't want them being the people who you're spending all of the marketing budget on!

The way I look at it is - if the people promoting are at work, then a lot of others will be too.
(25 Nov 2013, 9:40 pm)VolvoMarkII I've been told the location of the Service 7 launch is down to the lack of facilities en-route that can accommodate all ten Sapphire vehicles at once, plus entertainment.

While this does sound nice and flashy, are all ten "Sapphire" branded vehicles really needed at the launch?
Don't get me wrong, it will attract attention and all... But if you're not appealing to the service's custom?

25 Nov 2013, 9:44 pm
(25 Nov 2013, 9:42 pm)Dan A little note - Saturdays are a day to consider too!

I'd second that for any bus company. The majority of your fare paying passengers are at work or education when most promotions are ran. I'd make an effort to head through to somewhere if it was on a Saturday.

Adrian
25 Nov 2013, 9:44 pm #146

(25 Nov 2013, 9:42 pm)Dan A little note - Saturdays are a day to consider too!

I'd second that for any bus company. The majority of your fare paying passengers are at work or education when most promotions are ran. I'd make an effort to head through to somewhere if it was on a Saturday.

25 Nov 2013, 9:45 pm
(25 Nov 2013, 9:43 pm)Dan While this does sound nice and flashy, are all ten "Sapphire" branded vehicles really needed at the launch?

Except there are 11 Sapphire Pulsars not 10. The PVR is 10 with Darlington having a dedicated spare.
Kuyoyo
25 Nov 2013, 9:45 pm #147

(25 Nov 2013, 9:43 pm)Dan While this does sound nice and flashy, are all ten "Sapphire" branded vehicles really needed at the launch?

Except there are 11 Sapphire Pulsars not 10. The PVR is 10 with Darlington having a dedicated spare.

Dan
Site Administrator
25 Nov 2013, 9:49 pm
(25 Nov 2013, 9:45 pm)Kuyoyo Except there are 11 Sapphire Pulsars not 10. The PVR is 10 with Darlington having a dedicated spare.

The number was irrelevant really - was just quoting the number Mark gave. Tongue
Ta for the correction anyway.
Dan
25 Nov 2013, 9:49 pm #148

(25 Nov 2013, 9:45 pm)Kuyoyo Except there are 11 Sapphire Pulsars not 10. The PVR is 10 with Darlington having a dedicated spare.

The number was irrelevant really - was just quoting the number Mark gave. Tongue
Ta for the correction anyway.

26 Nov 2013, 1:01 pm
I think they are trying to make a big thing about the Sapphire, using it as an example for the Department for Transport of how services can be improved. As this is the only service in the North East (for now) to have the improved Sapphire standard, they are trying to make it stand out. Another reason why they would probably want all of the buses there is because out of the 4 UK Sapphire routes, Darlington/Durham are the only depots to get brand new buses for the service.
palatine3833
26 Nov 2013, 1:01 pm #149

I think they are trying to make a big thing about the Sapphire, using it as an example for the Department for Transport of how services can be improved. As this is the only service in the North East (for now) to have the improved Sapphire standard, they are trying to make it stand out. Another reason why they would probably want all of the buses there is because out of the 4 UK Sapphire routes, Darlington/Durham are the only depots to get brand new buses for the service.

26 Nov 2013, 5:53 pm
(25 Nov 2013, 9:44 pm)aureolin I'd second that for any bus company. The majority of your fare paying passengers are at work or education when most promotions are ran. I'd make an effort to head through to somewhere if it was on a Saturday.

Comments from you and Dan noted & some stuff has been on Saturdays plus there's been stuff in half terms and on school strike days too
busman101
26 Nov 2013, 5:53 pm #150

(25 Nov 2013, 9:44 pm)aureolin I'd second that for any bus company. The majority of your fare paying passengers are at work or education when most promotions are ran. I'd make an effort to head through to somewhere if it was on a Saturday.

Comments from you and Dan noted & some stuff has been on Saturdays plus there's been stuff in half terms and on school strike days too

26 Nov 2013, 8:01 pm
[quote='gtomlinson' pid='21073' dateline='1385398881']
I didn't catch the fleetname but one of the branded X2 deckers was expired at Birtley Three Tuns (southbound)

I've twice seen a branded decker with hazards flashing in birtley in recent days but i think it runs off a scholars service before picking up the service in birtley towards durham.
nk55
26 Nov 2013, 8:01 pm #151

[quote='gtomlinson' pid='21073' dateline='1385398881']
I didn't catch the fleetname but one of the branded X2 deckers was expired at Birtley Three Tuns (southbound)

I've twice seen a branded decker with hazards flashing in birtley in recent days but i think it runs off a scholars service before picking up the service in birtley towards durham.

26 Nov 2013, 10:01 pm
(26 Nov 2013, 8:01 pm)nk55 [quote='gtomlinson' pid='21073' dateline='1385398881']

Definitely one X2 operates an afternoon school and re-commences as you suggest and that is likely what it is, rather than expired.
VolvoMarkII
26 Nov 2013, 10:01 pm #152

(26 Nov 2013, 8:01 pm)nk55 [quote='gtomlinson' pid='21073' dateline='1385398881']

Definitely one X2 operates an afternoon school and re-commences as you suggest and that is likely what it is, rather than expired.

Dan
Site Administrator
27 Nov 2013, 8:52 pm
Following on from discussion which commenced earlier this month, it seems that 'furious bus campaigners have handed a 300-signature petition, calling for urgent improvements, to the operators of the much-maligned 685 service'.

It's interesting to see that petitions have started rolling in before winter, as we had earlier predicted!
The operators' responses in regards to vehicle type will be interesting.

Quote:IRATE BUS CAMPAIGNERS HAND PETITION TO ARRIVA

FURIOUS bus campaigners have handed a 300-signature petition, calling for urgent improvements, to the operators of the much-maligned 685 service.

But public transport chiefs at Arriva North East have warned that replacing the buses – deemed small and inadequate – could cost £300,000 per bus and lead to an increase in fares.

Campaigners and representatives of Arriva, which jointly-operates the service with Stagecoach, came face-to-face at a meeting of Haydon Parish Council last Thursday.

Villagers complained that coaches used on the service, which runs between Newcastle and Carlisle, were breaking down regularly until July, when they were replaced by the smaller-sized buses.

While they agreed that the replacements were more reliable, the campaigners, all Haydon Bridge residents, argued that the buses were often overcrowded, with some people, including pensioners, having to stand.

Sylvia Mitchell, who is leading the campaign, said safety is an issue because the smaller buses have no seat belts, while some drivers move the vehicles before passengers can find a seat or a suitable standing place.

On the receiving end was Paul De Santis, head of commercial development at Arriva, who said all the issues raised would be taken on board with a view to making improvements where possible.

He said: “The service has greatly improved since July, but we have a fleet of 500 buses in the North-East, and the ones in use are the ones we have available.

“We might have to think about going out and buying some new buses, but that would take 18 months and cost astronomical amounts of money, and possibly put up the price of fares considerably.”

Mr De Santis said the coaches previously used on the 685 route did not have wheelchair access, and therefore didn’t comply with regulations.

He suggested that the best way forward would be to make improvements to the current vehicles, which are already accessible for wheelchairs, prams and pushchairs, and looking at the possibility of installing seat belts.

He added: “We have carried out surveys and we have listened to everything that has been said. We want to provide the best service possible and will see how we can do things better.”

Depot manager David Brogan said that in an ideal world, Arriva would run more services along parts of the route, including the stretch between Hexham and Haltwhistle.

However, it no longer has a depot at Hexham, and it costs more money for buses to cover longer distances.

Coun. Alan Sharp, the local county council representative, said: “Health and safety and the need for seat belts – these are key issues.

“These people are living in a rural area and they rely on buses, and they deserve a better service. At the moment they are reluctant to go on them and that is a concern.”

After handing over the petition, signed by residents in the Haydon Bridge area, Mrs Mitchell said she was now prepared to give the operators a chance to make improvements.

She also called for better ticketing arrangements between Arriva and Stagecoach, so passengers had more flexibility while using buses provided by both firms on return journeys.

Dissatisfaction with the reliability of the 685 service was also aired during a meeting of Henshaw Parish Council on Monday.

Chairman Jeff Oliver said passengers were fed up of standing at the bus stop in all types of weather, and suggested that people should be able to track the whereabouts of buses online.

The petition will also be sent to Stagecoach.
Source: http://www.hexhamcourant.co.uk/news/irat...-1.1096289
Dan
27 Nov 2013, 8:52 pm #153

Following on from discussion which commenced earlier this month, it seems that 'furious bus campaigners have handed a 300-signature petition, calling for urgent improvements, to the operators of the much-maligned 685 service'.

It's interesting to see that petitions have started rolling in before winter, as we had earlier predicted!

Quote:IRATE BUS CAMPAIGNERS HAND PETITION TO ARRIVA

FURIOUS bus campaigners have handed a 300-signature petition, calling for urgent improvements, to the operators of the much-maligned 685 service.

But public transport chiefs at Arriva North East have warned that replacing the buses – deemed small and inadequate – could cost £300,000 per bus and lead to an increase in fares.

Campaigners and representatives of Arriva, which jointly-operates the service with Stagecoach, came face-to-face at a meeting of Haydon Parish Council last Thursday.

Villagers complained that coaches used on the service, which runs between Newcastle and Carlisle, were breaking down regularly until July, when they were replaced by the smaller-sized buses.

While they agreed that the replacements were more reliable, the campaigners, all Haydon Bridge residents, argued that the buses were often overcrowded, with some people, including pensioners, having to stand.

Sylvia Mitchell, who is leading the campaign, said safety is an issue because the smaller buses have no seat belts, while some drivers move the vehicles before passengers can find a seat or a suitable standing place.

On the receiving end was Paul De Santis, head of commercial development at Arriva, who said all the issues raised would be taken on board with a view to making improvements where possible.

He said: “The service has greatly improved since July, but we have a fleet of 500 buses in the North-East, and the ones in use are the ones we have available.

“We might have to think about going out and buying some new buses, but that would take 18 months and cost astronomical amounts of money, and possibly put up the price of fares considerably.”

Mr De Santis said the coaches previously used on the 685 route did not have wheelchair access, and therefore didn’t comply with regulations.

He suggested that the best way forward would be to make improvements to the current vehicles, which are already accessible for wheelchairs, prams and pushchairs, and looking at the possibility of installing seat belts.

He added: “We have carried out surveys and we have listened to everything that has been said. We want to provide the best service possible and will see how we can do things better.”

Depot manager David Brogan said that in an ideal world, Arriva would run more services along parts of the route, including the stretch between Hexham and Haltwhistle.

However, it no longer has a depot at Hexham, and it costs more money for buses to cover longer distances.

Coun. Alan Sharp, the local county council representative, said: “Health and safety and the need for seat belts – these are key issues.

“These people are living in a rural area and they rely on buses, and they deserve a better service. At the moment they are reluctant to go on them and that is a concern.”

After handing over the petition, signed by residents in the Haydon Bridge area, Mrs Mitchell said she was now prepared to give the operators a chance to make improvements.

She also called for better ticketing arrangements between Arriva and Stagecoach, so passengers had more flexibility while using buses provided by both firms on return journeys.

Dissatisfaction with the reliability of the 685 service was also aired during a meeting of Henshaw Parish Council on Monday.

Chairman Jeff Oliver said passengers were fed up of standing at the bus stop in all types of weather, and suggested that people should be able to track the whereabouts of buses online.

The petition will also be sent to Stagecoach.

27 Nov 2013, 9:10 pm
(27 Nov 2013, 8:52 pm)Dan Following on from discussion which commenced earlier this month, it seems that 'furious bus campaigners have handed a 300-signature petition, calling for urgent improvements, to the operators of the much-maligned 685 service'.

£300 grand a bus - what on earth would they be buying for that sort of money !!!

Not much rumpus from the regulars yet on the withdrawal of the early and late 685 journeys to/from Carlisle and the withdrawal completely from Gilsland. No doubt it'll all come out in the wash in the next couple of weeks along with will a bus really run empty all the way from Newcastle to Carlisle 6 days a week as the timetable seems to suggest.
busman101
27 Nov 2013, 9:10 pm #154

(27 Nov 2013, 8:52 pm)Dan Following on from discussion which commenced earlier this month, it seems that 'furious bus campaigners have handed a 300-signature petition, calling for urgent improvements, to the operators of the much-maligned 685 service'.

£300 grand a bus - what on earth would they be buying for that sort of money !!!

Not much rumpus from the regulars yet on the withdrawal of the early and late 685 journeys to/from Carlisle and the withdrawal completely from Gilsland. No doubt it'll all come out in the wash in the next couple of weeks along with will a bus really run empty all the way from Newcastle to Carlisle 6 days a week as the timetable seems to suggest.

27 Nov 2013, 9:25 pm
(27 Nov 2013, 9:10 pm)busman101 £300 grand a bus - what on earth would they be buying for that sort of money !!!

Oh dear. Pensioners having to stand. Must be horrible paying all that money for their fare and then not getting a seat....

How many petitions do Arriva need to get slapped with about the 685 before they just cut their losses and scrap it altogether? It actually baffles me why the service is still running when there's a more regular rail service right along the route. Surely money would be better spent providing shuttle buses round the little villages to the nearest station?

Adrian
27 Nov 2013, 9:25 pm #155

(27 Nov 2013, 9:10 pm)busman101 £300 grand a bus - what on earth would they be buying for that sort of money !!!

Oh dear. Pensioners having to stand. Must be horrible paying all that money for their fare and then not getting a seat....

How many petitions do Arriva need to get slapped with about the 685 before they just cut their losses and scrap it altogether? It actually baffles me why the service is still running when there's a more regular rail service right along the route. Surely money would be better spent providing shuttle buses round the little villages to the nearest station?

27 Nov 2013, 10:52 pm

I believe it runs light from Hexham to Carlisle but yes it seems excessive to me too.
£300k would be the price of new coaches I'd guess? Plenty of service specification coaches available but all high mileage ex National Express vehicles.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
27 Nov 2013, 10:52 pm #156

I believe it runs light from Hexham to Carlisle but yes it seems excessive to me too.
£300k would be the price of new coaches I'd guess? Plenty of service specification coaches available but all high mileage ex National Express vehicles.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

28 Nov 2013, 7:36 am
(27 Nov 2013, 9:25 pm)aureolin Oh dear. Pensioners having to stand. Must be horrible paying all that money for their fare and then not getting a seat....

We shouldn't be advocating bus routes being cancelled in favour of using trains, buses go closer to many peoples' homes and transferring from bus to train is definitely not popular - remember Tyne & Wear in years gone by.
I don't understand this obsession with seatbelts as if they're fitted people don't wear them.
Greg in Weardale
28 Nov 2013, 7:36 am #157

(27 Nov 2013, 9:25 pm)aureolin Oh dear. Pensioners having to stand. Must be horrible paying all that money for their fare and then not getting a seat....

We shouldn't be advocating bus routes being cancelled in favour of using trains, buses go closer to many peoples' homes and transferring from bus to train is definitely not popular - remember Tyne & Wear in years gone by.
I don't understand this obsession with seatbelts as if they're fitted people don't wear them.

28 Nov 2013, 7:39 am
(28 Nov 2013, 7:36 am)Greg in Weardale We shouldn't be advocating bus routes being cancelled in favour of using trains, buses go closer to many peoples' homes and transferring from bus to train is definitely not popular - remember Tyne & Wear in years gone by.

Yet at the same time we shouldn't be getting into a case of "he who shouts loudest wins". A cross country route of that distance should be a train. Money better spent elsewhere.

Adrian
28 Nov 2013, 7:39 am #158

(28 Nov 2013, 7:36 am)Greg in Weardale We shouldn't be advocating bus routes being cancelled in favour of using trains, buses go closer to many peoples' homes and transferring from bus to train is definitely not popular - remember Tyne & Wear in years gone by.

Yet at the same time we shouldn't be getting into a case of "he who shouts loudest wins". A cross country route of that distance should be a train. Money better spent elsewhere.

Dan
Site Administrator
28 Nov 2013, 7:53 am
(28 Nov 2013, 7:39 am)aureolin Yet at the same time we shouldn't be getting into a case of "he who shouts loudest wins". A cross country route of that distance should be a train. Money better spent elsewhere.

Isn't the journey time something like 2hr 10m? Very much like the X15/X18 to Berwick, I'm at a loss as to how it is deemed a local service anyway. Mind, unlike the 685, I'd assume they bring in quite a bit of money.

I'd be in favour of replacing the 685 with a train service with local bus services filling the void for those living in rural areas.
Dan
28 Nov 2013, 7:53 am #159

(28 Nov 2013, 7:39 am)aureolin Yet at the same time we shouldn't be getting into a case of "he who shouts loudest wins". A cross country route of that distance should be a train. Money better spent elsewhere.

Isn't the journey time something like 2hr 10m? Very much like the X15/X18 to Berwick, I'm at a loss as to how it is deemed a local service anyway. Mind, unlike the 685, I'd assume they bring in quite a bit of money.

I'd be in favour of replacing the 685 with a train service with local bus services filling the void for those living in rural areas.

28 Nov 2013, 8:04 am
Pensioners don't get trains free (one third off with railcard) and train fare Newcastle - Haydon Bridge is £10 off peak day return and Newcastle - Carlisle £16.90, both more expensive before 9.30am. I don't know the bus fares, but the most would be £9.30 North East Explorer (and the North West version is valid as well) which give unlimited travel at one end of the 685 route as well.
Greg in Weardale
28 Nov 2013, 8:04 am #160

Pensioners don't get trains free (one third off with railcard) and train fare Newcastle - Haydon Bridge is £10 off peak day return and Newcastle - Carlisle £16.90, both more expensive before 9.30am. I don't know the bus fares, but the most would be £9.30 North East Explorer (and the North West version is valid as well) which give unlimited travel at one end of the 685 route as well.

Pages (15): Previous 17 8 915 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possibly Related Threads…
Replies 211
Views 61376
01 Apr 2020, 10:00 am
Last Post by Dan