Menu

Pages (72)    136 37 3872   
Malarkey   02 May 2018, 9:00 pm
(02 May 2018, 12:27 pm)Andreos1 wrote Just been reading that. Studying the changes to the 4. Reduced in frequency.

Every 12 Minutes like the 56, can't see 2 Minutes extra on the timetable and one bus less an hour making much difference with the 4 to be honest.

Easily lose that 2 Minutes with those who do a sprint off the Metro wanting to get on as the driver tries to pull away and the ongoing road works at Heworth.
JP6004   03 May 2018, 7:25 am
(02 May 2018, 9:00 pm)Malarkey wrote Every 12 Minutes like the 56, can't see 2 Minutes extra on the timetable and one bus less an hour making much difference with the 4 to be honest.

Easily lose that 2 Minutes with those who do a sprint off the Metro wanting to get on as the driver tries to pull away and the ongoing road works at Heworth.

Actually it varies between 10-12minutes. Still appears to be same number of buses per hour somehow
Andreos1   03 May 2018, 7:35 am
(02 May 2018, 9:00 pm)Malarkey wrote Every 12 Minutes like the 56, can't see 2 Minutes extra on the timetable and one bus less an hour making much difference with the 4 to be honest.

It appears that there's still a ten min headway on some of the top of the hour services from Houghton.
Enough to still warrant the 'up to 10 min' line? Not sure.

Disappointing passengers aren't told that these time table changes to improve frequency are actually decreases in frequency. However slight they may be.

I agree that the changes won't make much difference.
Too little, too late with regard to Heworth.
The worst of the work appears to have been and gone.

However, despite not being a huge fan of bus lanes, an example last night actually surprised me.
I was sitting on the A184, approaching Heworth when an X24A passed me. It whizzed off in to the distance.
Didn't think anything more of it, until I got on to the approach to the Tyne Bridge at Gateshead. The same bus was emerging off the High Street.
There wasn't much traffic on the bypass, but that bus lane allowed that bus to get beyond the traffic and along Sunderland Road and through Gateshead in the same time it took me to clear the Felling Bypass and get underneath the flyover.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Greg in Weardale   04 May 2018, 12:05 pm
(02 May 2018, 12:27 pm)Andreos1 wrote Just been reading that. Studying the changes to the 4. Reduced in frequency.

What a ridiculous timetable, intervals mainly 11 min then one 10 min, different minutes past each hour. Another total cock up!
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Andreos1   04 May 2018, 1:20 pm
(04 May 2018, 12:05 pm)Greg in Weardale wrote What a ridiculous timetable, intervals mainly 11 min then one 10 min, different minutes past each hour. Another total cock up!

It's painful. Really is.
Part of the 'joy' in going for a 4 under its current timetable, is not having a clue what time it will turn up or if the one you board is the one you went for or an earlier one running late.

Part of the 'joy' of the upcoming timetable will be trying to work out whether or not it's due at 20past, 24past, 17past or 21past - it being all dependent on which number on the clock the little hand is pointing to.

10:20, 11:24, 12:17 or 13:21

Currently, those runs are due at: 10:21, 11:21; 12:21 and 13:21.

Assuming passengers are after a connection to another service, plans may need to be made to accommodate the difference in the range of times. Possibly aiming for the 11:13 rather than the 11:24 (or 11:21 as it is currently).

Michael   04 May 2018, 5:44 pm
PB0003954/86 Registered (Short notice)
GO NORTH EAST LIMITED
Route: Gateshead Metro to Gateshead Metro via Team Valley, Heworth
Service number: 93 (94)
Service type: Normal Stopping
Effective date: 17 Jun 2018

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
deanmachine   04 May 2018, 11:15 pm
(04 May 2018, 1:20 pm)Andreos1 wrote It's painful. Really is.
Part of the 'joy' in going for a 4 under its current timetable, is not having a clue what time it will turn up or if the one you board is the one you went for or an earlier one running late.

Part of the 'joy' of the upcoming timetable will be trying to work out whether or not it's due at 20past, 24past, 17past or 21past - it being all dependent on which number on the clock the little hand is pointing to.

10:20, 11:24, 12:17 or 13:21

Currently, those runs are due at: 10:21, 11:21; 12:21 and 13:21.

Assuming passengers are after a connection to another service, plans may need to be made to accommodate the difference in the range of times. Possibly aiming for the 11:13 rather than the 11:24 (or 11:21 as it is currently).

The 60 does the same thing. Busy routes such as these are hard to keep to time, so adding time in where it's needed I don't think is a bad thing. It's not hard for a passenger to look at the times on a bus stop and look at their watch/phone, hopefully now it might arrive closer to the time it says at the stop, so I don't see the problem.
missedbus   05 May 2018, 8:45 am
(04 May 2018, 11:15 pm)deanmachine wrote The 60 does the same thing. Busy routes such as these are hard to keep to time, so adding time in where it's needed I don't think is a bad thing. It's not hard for a passenger to look at the times on a bus stop and look at their watch/phone, hopefully now it might arrive closer to the time it says at the stop, so I don't see the problem.

Surely a clock-face timetable is still better, though? Why not run it every 12 minutes instead of that absolute mess of a timetable? OK, it's a frequency reduction, but if it improves reliability with the same resources it's probably the best solution. There aren't the passengers around to justify putting more resources in.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Andreos1   05 May 2018, 9:19 am
(04 May 2018, 11:15 pm)deanmachine wrote The 60 does the same thing. Busy routes such as these are hard to keep to time, so adding time in where it's needed I don't think is a bad thing. It's not hard for a passenger to look at the times on a bus stop and look at their watch/phone, hopefully now it might arrive closer to the time it says at the stop, so I don't see the problem.

(05 May 2018, 8:45 am)missedbus wrote Surely a clock-face timetable is still better, though? Why not run it every 12 minutes instead of that absolute mess of a timetable? OK, it's a frequency reduction, but if it improves reliability with the same resources it's probably the best solution. There aren't the passengers around to justify putting more resources in.

I was just about to comment about a clock face timetable. You beat me to it Wink

I would argue a clock face timetable is not only attractive, but easy to understand, for effectively what is a turn up and go service.

Passengers are seeing a difference of up to 4 minutes with some of these changes. A 12 min frequency, would see a difference of two.
Assuming that the run which comes 4 mins later than scheduled now, is running a few minutes late, having been caught in works at Boundary Houses and Bournmoor or the queues at Fencehouses lights.
By the time it gets to the stop, it's now 6/7mins+ behind where it should be on the current time table. 
It might as well be a PVR reduction.

I touched on connections before. The 60 doesn't market itself as that sort of service and didnt come about as a replacement (in part or not) for a direct bus to Newcastle.
Most of us know that 4/M1 not only replaced the 194, but the 21A and X3. Punters rely on the 4 to connect to the X1 for trips to work, school, college, shopping and hospital. The timetables were supposedly planned to connect with each other. It will be interesting to see how this shambles of a timetable and the X1 now work.

Greg in Weardale   07 May 2018, 10:03 am
(05 May 2018, 9:19 am)Andreos1 wrote I was just about to comment about a clock face timetable. You beat me to it Wink
I would argue a clock face timetable is not only attractive, but easy to understand, for effectively what is a turn up and go service.

Passengers are seeing a difference of up to 4 minutes with some of these changes. A 12 min frequency, would see a difference of two.
Assuming that the run which comes 4 mins later than scheduled now, is running a few minutes late, having been caught in works at Boundary Houses and Bournmoor or the queues at Fencehouses lights.
By the time it gets to the stop, it's now 6/7mins+ behind where it should be on the current time table. 
It might as well be a PVR reduction.

I touched on connections before. The 60 doesn't market itself as that sort of service and didnt come about as a replacement (in part or not) for a direct bus to Newcastle.
Most of us know that 4/M1 not only replaced the 194, but the 21A and X3. Punters rely on the 4 to connect to the X1 for trips to work, school, college, shopping and hospital. The timetables were supposedly planned to connect with each other. It will be interesting to see how this shambles of a timetable and the X1 now work.

"Shambles" sums up quite a lot about GNE nowadays.
JamesDunkley   08 May 2018, 8:36 am
5401, 5231, 6141, 6146, 3963, 3965 are currently all on "Castles Express" X21 service.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
V514DFT   08 May 2018, 10:12 am
(08 May 2018, 8:36 am)JamesDunkley wrote 5401, 5231, 6141, 6146, 3963, 3965 are currently all on "Castles Express" X21 service.

You appear to have posted in the wrong thread,i think your looking for the Rare and Odd workings thread ?

Kind Regards
Tez
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
L469 YVK   08 May 2018, 8:56 pm
(08 May 2018, 8:36 am)JamesDunkley wrote 5401, 5231, 6141, 6146, 3963, 3965 are currently all on "Castles Express" X21 service.

Why were most of the Streetdecks not on the Castles Express?

Unless there has been a genuine traffic / timetable issue or they could only get inspected today (or a couple were in for inspection, 6 out of 7 2yo buses off the road is shocking.

On a serious note, if GNE decide to split the majority of 309/310 boards (not saying that they will), swapping 7x StreetDecks for 7x B9TLs would be a very wise move if the opportunity came about.
Jamie M   09 May 2018, 7:15 am
(08 May 2018, 8:56 pm)L469 YVK wrote Why were most of the Streetdecks not on the Castles Express?

Unless there has been a genuine traffic / timetable issue or they could only get inspected today (or a couple were in for inspection, 6 out of 7 2yo buses off the road is shocking.

On a serious note, if GNE decide to split the majority of 309/310 boards (not saying that they will), swapping 7x StreetDecks for 7x B9TLs would be a very wise move if the opportunity came about.
Why swap?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
L469 YVK   09 May 2018, 12:00 pm
(09 May 2018, 7:15 am)Jamie M wrote Why swap?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

B9TLs on X21:
- More power
- Better performance & reliability
- Can do 55MPH or more on A1
- Same or slightly better fuel econony at higher speeds
- Better comfort

Streetdecks on 310:
- Improved fuel economy
- BSOG funding 
- Above allowing extra bus to be added to PVR, extra driver and vans for the New York changeovers on the 309
- Could be used during evenings on both services 309 / 310 to save fuel (depending on board patterns) and maybe lead to an increase in evening frequency
JM03   09 May 2018, 3:18 pm
(09 May 2018, 12:00 pm)L469 YVK wrote B9TLs on X21:
- More power
- Better performance & reliability
- Can do 55MPH or more on A1
- Same or slightly better fuel econony at higher speeds
- Better comfort

Streetdecks on 310:
- Improved fuel econony
- BSOG funding 
- Above allowing extra bus to be added to PVR, extra driver and vans
- Could be used during evenings to save fuel and maybe lead to an increase in evening frequency

Why cobalt clippers when remember there also some on Fab fifty six, Tyne valley ten etc
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
L469 YVK   09 May 2018, 5:50 pm
(09 May 2018, 3:18 pm)JM03 wrote Why cobalt clippers when remember there also some on Fab fifty six, Tyne valley ten etc

If 6301-07 ended up on either the Fab 56 or Tyne Valley Ten, that would result in a mixed allocation. But if most of the Cobalt Clipper boards were changed to become standalone (i.e not interworking), then technically there wouldn't be a mixed fleet allocation as most of the 309 journeys would be allocated B9TLs (6101-10 @ PVR 10) and most of the 310 & X39 journeys would be allocated StreetDecks (6301-07 @ PVR x7). 

The only exception to the above would be during the evenings with some StreetDecks naturally changing into a 309 between 6-8pm if the timetable allowed (with some B9TLs finishing as a 310 then returning to the depot after the early evening in North Shields). This would then mean that most of the evening journeys on both services 309 and 310 would be operated by StreetDecks saving fuel as well as the extra BSOG claims.

On Sundays, the 4x last boards to return to the depot across both services (regardless if they continued to interwork on Sunday daytimes or remain standalone) would subsequently be allocated StreetDecks for the above reason.

In terms of spares, if any ex-London B9TLs become available, GNE could also do this:

Deptford:
- 1x corporate spare B9TL (6099)
- 1x 62 reg ex-London B9TL

Percy Main
- 1x corporate spare B9TL (6100)
Jamie M   09 May 2018, 6:49 pm
(09 May 2018, 5:50 pm)L469 YVK wrote If 6301-07 ended up on either the Fab 56 or Tyne Valley Ten, that would result in a mixed allocation. But if most of the Cobalt Clipper boards were changed to become standalone (i.e not interworking), then technically there wouldn't be a mixed fleet allocation as most of the 309 journeys would be allocated B9TLs (6101-10 @ PVR 10) and most of the 310 & X39 journeys would be allocated StreetDecks (6301-07 @ PVR x7). 

The only exception to the above would be during the evenings with some StreetDecks naturally changing into a 309 between 6-8pm if the timetable allowed (with some B9TLs finishing as a 310 then returning to the depot after the early evening in North Shields). This would then mean that most of the evening journeys on both services 309 and 310 would be operated by StreetDecks saving fuel as well as the extra BSOG claims.

On Sundays, the 4x last boards to return to the depot across both services (regardless if they continued to interwork on Sunday daytimes or remain standalone) would subsequently be allocated StreetDecks for the above reason.

In terms of spares, if any ex-London B9TLs become available, GNE could also do this:

Deptford:
- 1x corporate spare B9TL (6099)

Percy Main
- 1x corporate spare B9TL (6100)

You're missing an important detail that the X21 route is about 10 miles longer than the 309. That's a lot of extra BSOG payment over a day since it's done by Kilometre. It wouldn't change reliability since you're just shifting vehicles around similar work. The spare bus situation wouldn't also work in reality, since you would have to replace the current spare deckers with other spare deckers.
JM03   09 May 2018, 7:37 pm
(09 May 2018, 6:49 pm)Jamie M wrote You're missing an important detail that the X21 route is about 10 miles longer than the 309. That's a lot of extra BSOG payment over a day since it's done by Kilometre. It wouldn't change reliability since you're just shifting vehicles around similar work. The spare bus situation wouldn't also work in reality, since you would have to replace the current spare deckers with other spare deckers.

What about swapping the ex tyne tees for em. How many are in corparate and maybe others from other depots. Maybe other spares and swap em with the omnidekkas.
L469 YVK   09 May 2018, 7:51 pm
(09 May 2018, 6:49 pm)Jamie M wrote You're missing an important detail that the X21 route is about 10 miles longer than the 309. That's a lot of extra BSOG payment over a day since it's done by Kilometre. It wouldn't change reliability since you're just shifting vehicles around similar work. The spare bus situation wouldn't also work in reality, since you would have to replace the current spare deckers with other spare deckers.

Well for starters, the StreetDecks would only be used on 'some' 309 trips; mainly during the evenings and on Sundays. The majority of StreetDeck workings would be on service 310 and also the X39. Having a heavy duty decker being tugged around on the 310 is surely more costly compared to a Volvo B9TL being used on a route that it is suited for (i.e the X21). And GNE wouldn't have considered GKN modifications on the B9TLs if they weren't deemed too heavy duty for the Cobalt Clipper (particularly the 310). 

Going back to the spares, if GNE could find something suitable to replace the 3x general use spares on top of the 10x used on the ToonLink and 15/15A, then spare vehicles shouldn't be an issue. Worst case, passengers on the Fab 56 and Cobalt Clipper would only lose NSA's and plug/USB sockets if 6099 or 6100 weren't available.

And in terms  of reliability with regards to 'similar work', the only truly fast sections of route on the 309 are:
- Coast Road between Benfield Road and Station Road
- Blyth Road between Whitley Bay and Old Hartley
- Links Road between Seaton Sluice and South Beach

And as for the 310, the only fast section of route is the Coast Road between Benfield Road and Station Road.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Jamie M   10 May 2018, 12:12 pm
(09 May 2018, 7:51 pm)L469 YVK wrote Well for starters, the StreetDecks would only be used on 'some' 309 trips; mainly during the evenings and on Sundays. The majority of StreetDeck workings would be on service 310 and also the X39. Having a heavy duty decker being tugged around on the 310 is surely more costly compared to a Volvo B9TL being used on a route that it is suited for (i.e the X21). And GNE wouldn't have considered GKN modifications on the B9TLs if they weren't deemed too heavy duty for the Cobalt Clipper (particularly the 310). 

An hour on the X21 covers 10 kilometres more of it's journey than an hour run on the 310. It's longer distance in the same time, this means more BSOG payment by some margin at the end of the day.
Just between the Newcastle -> Durham section of the X21 and the whole of the 310 between Newcastle -> North Shields 7am -> 5pm  in a day (take 6p per kilometre):
310: 18 kilometres -> £0.29 38 trips -> £11.02
X21: 28 Kilometres -> £0.45 25 trips -> £11.25

So just the fast part of the X21 earns more BSOG in a day period than the 310 does in that same period of time.

The Misc X39 (10km @6p over 3 trips) / 309 trips £10.50 (29km @ 6p over 5 trips)
The southern part of the X21 is another £11.22 (11km @ 6p over 30 trips)

BSOG on 310/X39 with select 309 journeys comes to £21.52 x 2 = £43.04
BSOG on X21 comes to £22.47 x 2 = £44.94

So the conclusion here is the X21 saves the most money. The routes are very similar in terms of speedlimits offered (on 309) so I would discredit any argument about reliability. The GKN modification doesn't seem relevant to the discussion of reliability or indeed anything, unless it saves more money offered than the Euro 6 MH Streetdecks. The only way you're going to make a cost-effective based move is if that is true. The statement that "iif they weren't deemed too heavy duty" is mere opinion at this moment in time, unless you have any data to support your argument.

(09 May 2018, 7:51 pm)L469 YVK wrote And in terms  of reliability with regards to 'similar work', the only truly fast sections of route on the 309 are:
- Coast Road between Benfield Road and Station Road
- Blyth Road between Whitley Bay and Old Hartley
- Links Road between Seaton Sluice and South Beach

And as for the 310, the only fast section of route is the Coast Road between Benfield Road and Station Road.

Again, you can't have it both ways and this only invalidates your point. The longer and faster the trip, the more distance covered in the same time, hence higher BSOG payments. It only makes sense to allocate the higher-BSOG paying buses to where they would earn the most money!
Andreos1   10 May 2018, 12:24 pm
(10 May 2018, 12:12 pm)Jamie M wrote An hour on the X21 covers 10 kilometres more of it's journey than an hour run on the 310. It's longer distance in the same time, this means more BSOG payment by some margin at the end of the day.
Just between the Newcastle -> Durham section of the X21 and the whole of the 310 between Newcastle -> North Shields 7am -> 5pm  in a day (take 6p per kilometre):
310: 18 kilometres -> £0.29 38 trips -> £11.02
X21: 28 Kilometres -> £0.45 25 trips -> £11.25

So just the fast part of the X21 earns more BSOG in a day period than the 310 does in that same period of time.

The Misc X39 (10km @6p over 3 trips) / 309 trips £10.50 (29km @ 6p over 5 trips)
The southern part of the X21 is another £11.22 (11km @ 6p over 30 trips)

BSOG on 310/X39 with select 309 journeys comes to £21.52 x 2 = £43.04
BSOG on X21 comes to £22.47 x 2 = £44.94

So the conclusion here is the X21 saves the most money. The routes are very similar in terms of speedlimits offered (on 309) so I would discredit any argument about reliability. The GKN modification doesn't seem relevant to the discussion of reliability or indeed anything, unless it saves more money offered than the Euro 6 MH Streetdecks. The only way you're going to make a cost-effective based move is if that is true. The statement that "iif they weren't deemed too heavy duty" is mere opinion at this moment in time, unless you have any data to support your argument.

Again, you can't have it both ways and this only invalidates your point. The longer and faster the trip, the more distance covered in the same time, hence higher BSOG payments. It only makes sense to allocate the higher-BSOG paying buses to where they would earn the most money!

Not wanting to split hairs in a post I tend to agree with, the BIB is the only part I disagree with.

It may be that the allocation of a vehicle picking up enhanced BSOG payments makes a route viable.
Whilst the 310 may make money and swapping it with vehicles from the X21 may not make too much sense from a financial perspective, the allocation of the B5's to the 1, should assist its margins and help maintain frequency on the quieter sections of the route.
Not only that, but there may be a case for a better mpg compared to the Omni's.

I've not been fortunate/unfortunate enough to ride or follow a B5 up the hillier sections of the route, so can't comment on the suitability from that perspective.

Jamie M   10 May 2018, 1:03 pm
(10 May 2018, 12:24 pm)Andreos1 wrote Not wanting to split hairs in a post I tend to agree with, the BIB is the only part I disagree with.

It may be that the allocation of a vehicle picking up enhanced BSOG payments makes a route viable.
Whilst the 310 may make money and swapping it with vehicles from the X21 may not make too much sense from a financial perspective, the allocation of the B5's to the 1, should assist its margins and help maintain frequency on the quieter sections of the route.
Not only that, but there may be a case for a better mpg compared to the Omni's.

I've not been fortunate/unfortunate enough to ride or follow a B5 up the hillier sections of the route, so can't comment on the suitability from that perspective.

The B5s spent every night going up hills near Bishop Auckland, for which there are a few, with ease. The B5s to the 1 was a strong move and seems to be a success so far, but I think it offers next to nothing to swap B9s. I think that very much is splitting hairs at this stage, with the example given. The statement I gave at the end may only apply in this scenario, rather than a general rule though, I agree.
BusLoverMum   10 May 2018, 6:49 pm
(08 May 2018, 8:56 pm)L469 YVK wrote Why were most of the Streetdecks not on the Castles Express?

It was the same when I went into Newcastle, last week. The route passes close to my house and I haven't seen a castles express vehicle for a while. I'm wondering if some warranty work is being done on them.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
L469 YVK   11 May 2018, 4:16 am
Well, just done my sums based on a timetable that I created but haven't sent to GNE as it would only work with StreetDecks. 

Basically, if StreetDecks were to work the 310 with the 5x X39 runs thrown in (1x continued to remain a car working) as well as some early morning and evening 309 journeys, the total BSOG grant payable for the Monday to Friday journeys would stand at £120.59 @ 6p per KM.

Note: (E) means the bus operates via Norham Road North, then the exact same route as the 309 via Cobalt.

6301 Monday to Friday 130.7M/210.34KM @ £12.62:
310#0635 NORHAM ROAD NORTH > NORTH SHIELDS
310#0652 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
X39#0754 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > COBALT VILLAGE HOTEL
310#0824 NORHAM ROAD NORTH > NORTH SHIELDS
310#0847 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#0943 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#1034 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#1128 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#1219 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#1313 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#1404 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#1458 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#1554 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#1703 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS

6302 Monday to Friday 203M/326.7KM @ £19.60 :
310#0705 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#0808 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#0903 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#0958 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#1049 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#1143 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#1234 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#1328 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#1419 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#1513 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#1606 NORTH SHIELDS > NORHAM ROAD NORTH
X39#1635 COBALT VILLAGE HOTEL > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#1718 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#1818 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
309#1908 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > BLYTH
309#2018 BLYTH > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
309#2120 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > BLYTH
309#2216 BLYTH > NEW YORK

6303 Monday to Friday 130.7M/210.34KM @ £12.62:
310#0703 NORHAM ROAD NORTH > NORTH SHIELDS
310#0720 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
X39#0824 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > COBALT VILLAGE HOTEL
310#0856 NORHAM ROAD NORTH > NORTH SHIELDS
310#0919 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#1013 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#1104 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#1158 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#1249 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#1343 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#1434 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#1528 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#1626 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#1734 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS

6304 Monday to Friday 203.8M/327.98KM @ £19.67:
310#0736 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#0840 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#0934 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#1028 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#1119 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#1213 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#1304 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#1358 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#1449 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#1543 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#1637 NORTH SHIELDS > NORHAM ROAD NORTH
X39#1705 COBALT VILLAGE HOTEL > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#1753 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#1848 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#1935 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#2019 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#2105 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310(E)#2151 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#2240 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > BATTLE HILL JOLLY BOWMAN
309#2304 BATTLE HILL JOLLY BOWMAN > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#2330 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS

6305 Monday to Friday 144.3M/232.23KM @ £13.93:
309#0637 BATTLE HILL JOLLY BOWMAN > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#0703 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#0752 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#0856 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#0949 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#1043 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#1134 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#1228 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#1319 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#1413 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#1504 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#1559 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#1657 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#1808 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS

6306 Monday to Friday 226.4M/364.36KM @ £21.86:
309#0605 BLYTH BUS STATION > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
X39#0724 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#0810 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#0912 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#1004 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#1058 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#1149 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#1243 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#1334 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#1428 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#1521 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#1618 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#1718 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#1823 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#1918 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#2005 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310(E)#2051 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#2140 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#2221 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
309#2305 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > BLYTH BUS STATION

6307 Monday to Friday 210.1KM/338.12KM @ £20.29:
310#0639 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#0735 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#0830 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#0928 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#1019 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#1113 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#1204 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#1258 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#1349 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#1443 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#1538 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#1648 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#1759 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#1858 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#1948 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
310#2035 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > NORTH SHIELDS
310#2116 NORTH SHIELDS > NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET
309#2200 NEWCASTLE HAYMARKET > BLYTH BUS STATION
309#2256 BLYTH BUS STATION > NEW YORK
Andreos1   11 May 2018, 3:39 pm
(10 May 2018, 1:03 pm)Jamie M wrote The B5s spent every night going up hills near Bishop Auckland, for which there are a few, with ease. The B5s to the 1 was a strong move and seems to be a success so far, but I think it offers next to nothing to swap B9s. I think that very much is splitting hairs at this stage, with the example given. The statement I gave at the end may only apply in this scenario, rather than a general rule though, I agree.

Didn't really want to get in to a discussion about my hill being bigger than your hill or the size of things, but having recollected about the route near Bishop...
I reckon I am pretty sure the climb from Chowdene/Gold Medal up to Wrekenton is certainly both longer and steeper than anything they would have encountered near Bishop.

Mind apart from Chowdene and Rosehill Banks, the rest of the route the 1 takes is pretty undulating.

Jamie M   11 May 2018, 3:46 pm
(11 May 2018, 3:39 pm)Andreos1 wrote Didn't really want to get in to a discussion about my hill being bigger than your hill or the size of things, but having recollected about the route near Bishop...
I reckon I am pretty sure the climb from Chowdene/Gold Medal up to Wrekenton is certainly both longer and steeper than anything they would have encountered near Bishop.

Mind apart from Chowdene and Rosehill Banks, the rest of the route the 1 takes is pretty undulating.

Neither did I, but did you not hear that Bishop Auckland is a euphemism for Mount Everest?
Anyway, we better stop before somebody tries to argue that Solos would be a better vehicle choice, as they operate up Swalwell bank on a daily basis...
L469 YVK   11 May 2018, 5:20 pm
Well, just been and done my sums on the X21 (39KM) including all short runs between Bishop Auckland and Durham (11KM) as well as the X46 runs (16.9KM).

My BSOG total for the Monday to Friday journeys on the X21 have come in at  £109.66 vs the totals for the Cobalt Clipper which come in at £120.59.

Although that is only a saving of £10.93 per day as well as the StreetDecks needing to be out on the road longer to make more money on the 310 (as well as the odd 309 and X39 trips), the fuel savings on the 310 using StreetDecks instead of heavy duty Volvo B9TL's could potentially be very good given the nature of the route. And as well as that, the total cost of ownership on the StreetDecks would reduce greatly as a result of less wear and tear once they go out of warranty. Any fuel savings made using StreetDecks over B9TLs would be put back into improving both the 309 and 310 whether it be the extra few vans for the 309 changeovers at New York (including the fuel) or extra drivers, both of which would most likely be required if the 309 and 310 no longer interworked for most of the time. Extra journeys particularly during the evenings could also be added using the money saved from BSOG and fuel economy.

The X21 on the other hand would massively benefit from B9TLs and if there was more dealer stock available at the time, then they would've been the natural step from the old 'Pronto' B7s. Furthermore, the B9TLs would be far more comfortable at some of the given speeds and challenges on the X21 and the fuel economy would largely remain unchanged, even more so if they were limited to 50MPH.

Engine size is another matter. Arriva's 14/64 plate E400s have coped well so far on the X18/X21/X22 and some of the 57 plates which didn't get in the hands of Blyth or Redcar (although starting to show their age now), have done quite well too. If the 5.1L unit had more torque and horsepower (preferably coupled with a ZF gearbox), then they'd be great for the X21 but the bottom line is that they're not naturally suited for that route.

Yes, the Angel StreetDecks (as well as the B5LH's before Dec 2017) have been scheduled during the evenings (and Sundays for the B5LH's) but that is only partial work as well as taking into account that between Durham and Newcastle, they'd be calling at nearly every single stop (and not using the A1/A1M). If they were on the X21 day in day out from early morning until 6-7pm, that is another matter.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
JM03   12 May 2018, 4:54 pm
5 - After Jarrow does the 9 to L/Lane estate
9 - After Jarrow goes to North Shields then combines with 19 to N Park/Ashington with services split between Percy Main and Deptford. New streetlites to replace the solar eclipses (I think)(4978-4982) might be a good idea to go with this route.
Kuyoyo   18 May 2018, 12:41 pm
PB0003954/803 Registered (Short notice)
GO NORTH EAST LIMITED
Route: Sunderland Docks, Barrack Street to Silksworth, Church View
Service number: 33 (33A)
Service type: Normal Stopping
Effective date: 11 Jul 2018
Route and timetable amended for Tall Ships Event, special service 33T operating on 11th, 12th, 13th and 14th July 2018

PB0003954/789 Registered (Short notice)
GO NORTH EAST LIMITED
Route: Park Lane Interchange, Sunderland to Park Lane Interchange, Sunderland via University of Sunderland
Service number: 700 (701)
Service type: Limited Stop
Effective date: 07 Jul 2018
Pages (72)    136 37 3872